I am fortunate that I have 10.2.1.1925 official release from Digicel Jamaica on my z10, however this was after dogging their BlackBerry technical department and being "added" to some list, forgive my ignorance but with all the posts I read about leaks and how verizon and t-mobile have not released 10.2, I ask why?, why can't BlackBerry just add all the updates to link? Or from its own website? How hard can this be? Make it like windows...everyone has seen those "updates are ready to install" notifications and why so long? I see threads where people are on 10.1 and others have had a few versions of 10.2? why does it seem like it's a "favor" when you get an update? Why wouldn't BlackBerry want ALL handsets to have the latest update? Why should users have to get "unofficial" updates etc from different countries etc? " just update via sachesi" why should people have to do this? ....sorry just ranting

Regards David

Z10 / 10.2.1.537
    01-10-14 11:44 AM
    Simple. BlackBerry is not big enough to provide tech support to every user in the world. They have to rely on the carriers to do that. Carriers can only support OS versions they have tested and trained on.

We all wish BlackBerry had more clout with the carriers to get them moving faster, but that's the way it is.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    01-10-14 11:51 AM
    Didn't know 1925 was official anywhere.... good to know.

This is an issue that many of us have complained about. But Carrier are the ones that control the OS, it is part of the contract with Hardware Manufacturers.... Only Apple had the "smarts" and the power to bypass carriers. But you have to see if also from the Carrier's point of view... they are normally the front line that has to deal with the problems that most software updates create. So they have to test and then train their people with dealing with these issues. Which often leads to, if it ain't broke then don't update - in other words if they don't see enough of a reason to push out an update, they very well might not.
    01-10-14 11:54 AM
    It's not up to BlackBerry. It is up to the individual mobile carriers. In most countries the carriers updated all at roughly the same time. In the US the carriers have chosen to either undergo some sort of rigorous testing or something that have delayed releasing the updates for their client. BlackBerry already gave the carriers these updates months ago and most likely have already given them the next update. Other carriers may have their own issues as to why they have not updated. I don't really know.

Most BB10 users who are not in the US have the latest carrier update of 10.2.0.xxx and have been for months, but the latest 10.2.1 will be rolled out soon. If you already have it direct from your carrier you are very lucky because you are ahead of the majority of users that don't load leaks. What can be up to BlackBerry but may further hurt their relationships with carriers is to bypass all carriers and update OTA for everyone. They don't have enough to bring to a bargaining table to do that yet in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 11:55 AM
    I have asked the same question.
    it DOES NOT MATTER what OS phone has as long as it can operate in GSM (CDMA) network.
    if there were "some issues" and therefore the need for carrier testing, in such case, think about it: if you'd travel abroad, your phone would not work, or had some issues

therefore I call all this carrier testing thing - BULLSH1T!!! carriers DO NOT NEED to approve ANYTHING! because this will solve nothing.
    Google does not test it's Kit Kat with carriers - just push the update. the same with Apple.

I still cannot understand, why BB asks carriers for testing. moreover, with constant connection to BB servers, it's more than easier to push update to all users.
    01-10-14 12:13 PM
    Although it's not up to BlackBerry it's still annoying how they don't address it. We can't get statements or confirmations. If it's not going to be released then just tell us.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 12:32 PM
    I have asked the same question.
    it DOES NOT MATTER what OS phone has as long as it can operate in GSM (CDMA) network.
    if there were "some issues" and therefore the need for carrier testing, in such case, think about it: if you'd travel abroad, your phone would not work, or had some issues

therefore I call all this carrier testing thing - BULLSH1T!!! carriers DO NOT NEED to approve ANYTHING! because this will solve nothing.
    Google does not test it's Kit Kat with carriers - just push the update. the same with Apple.

I still cannot understand, why BB asks carriers for testing. moreover, with constant connection to BB servers, it's more than easier to push update to all users.
    That's easy to say, but if you are grandma and have a problem with a software version that was just released (say 10.2.1.1925 for argument's sake). Who does she call? If she talks to ATT about a problem with installing apk files directly, or asks how to use the picture password screen, etc, what is the junior advisor at ATT going to do for her if they haven't seen, tested, or trained on that os?

Blackberry can't help, they don't have the manpower.

The fact is, if you're tech savvy enough, you would just install another carrier's release through Sashesi anyway, or use a leak. So this issue does not concern you anyway. This is all about grandma.

Posted via CB10
    CMcRob likes this.
    01-10-14 12:42 PM
    Although it's not up to BlackBerry it's still annoying how they don't address it. We can't get statements or confirmations. If it's not going to be released then just tell us.

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure there contract with the carriers would prevent them from announcing that they had submitted a version X to carrier Y. Why would a carrier agree to announce a release date that they would then be stuck with unless it was part of a marketing strategy that was going to result in a bunch of sales?

I think we should all be freaking amazed that we can get access to leaks if we want, and get official versions as soon as they are released by any carrier by using Schesi. Those would be very easy holes to plug, and leave us totally at the mercy of our carriers, if BlackBerry wanted to.
    decoy7 likes this.
    01-10-14 12:47 PM
    That's easy to say, but if you are grandma and have a problem with a software version that was just released (say 10.2.1.1925 for argument's sake). Who does she call? If she talks to ATT about a problem with installing apk files directly, or asks how to use the picture password screen, etc, what is the junior advisor at ATT going to do for her if they haven't seen, tested, or trained on that os?

Blackberry can't help, they don't have the manpower.

The fact is, if you're tech savvy enough, you would just install another carrier's release through Sashesi anyway, or use a leak. So this issue does not concern you anyway. This is all about grandma.

Posted via CB10
    ok. so tell me - does google tests it's Kit Kat with let's say - AT&T? Does HTC give it to test to carriers?
    Do carriers test ALL ANDROID PHONES with ALL variations of Android? like probably few thousands of devices?!
    01-10-14 01:29 PM
    ok. so tell me - does google tests it's Kit Kat with let's say - AT&T? Does HTC give it to test to carriers?
    Do carriers test ALL ANDROID PHONES with ALL variations of Android? like probably few thousands of devices?!
    Fragmentation in the android world is a disaster. Agreed. But Samsung, for instance, has a massive tech support department and, like Apple, deals directly with the consumer. And they have over 2/3 of the Android market. With Nexus, you deal with Google. Not sure about the smaller players.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 02:28 PM
    Fragmentation in the android world is a disaster. Agreed. But Samsung, for instance, has a massive tech support department and, like Apple, deals directly with the consumer. And they have over 2/3 of the Android market. With Nexus, you deal with Google. Not sure about the smaller players.

Posted via CB10
    I can tell you how it was for me, almost two years ago.

Got my BB 9780 broken, needed quick replacement, therefore grabbed Sony Xperia U. Two days later, somehow, I got the update OTA. Updated. And since the update, it started: phone used to loose the radio signal completely. in random intervals. and the only cure - to set phone to flight mode and back to normal. Noone could reach me, unless I checked the phone and if needed - reconnected it.
    I approached my carrier, as well as another carrier in another country (Germany, because I was on the business trip at that time). All what they could do, was forward me to contact Sony.

this was GLOBAL issue, because people in the same OS build got the same issues in India, Italy, Lithuania, Germany etc. It took ONE MONTH for sony to update the OS and fix the bug.
    The ONLY place I could reach Sony support... was forum. the same thing BB has!

Therefore I can tell you 100% - if you would face ANY issue with the phone after OS update, most probably your carrier would give you the contact person - Blackberry.
    01-10-14 02:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    Then why does it take AT&T so long to push OS updates to their Samsung customers. Samsung users on AT&T have had to wait on several levels - first, for Samsung to add their UI overlay to whatever the latest Android is; and second, for AT&T to push it out. AT&T has made Galaxy owners wait 6 - 8 months for updates too.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 04:11 PM
    I am still confused as to why BlackBerry cannot issue the updates themselves? E.g if.you wish to download BlackBerry link software you just go the site...I am in Jamaica but have in the past downloaded Link, from BlackBerry usa's site.
    I am probably being naive in my understanding and oversimplifying the issue, but every software I have on my desktop PC comes from a site including all its updates, some of these installs/updates are huge files too it just seems in this day and age that it should be straight forward to do something like this so in the future a conversation would go like this:

"Wow, how did you make your Z10 do THAT!!!?"

"Oh. I downloaded the new 10.3.2.1999 software update from wwwBlackBerryupdates.com"this morning, it just came out today"

"Oh, wow, I will update my Z10 when I get home"

Regards David

Z10 / 10.2.1.1925
    01-10-14 08:23 PM
    I am still confused as to why BlackBerry cannot issue the updates themselves? E.g if.you wish to download BlackBerry link software you just go the site...I am in Jamaica but have in the past downloaded Link, from BlackBerry usa's site.
    I am probably being naive in my understanding and oversimplifying the issue, but every software I have on my desktop PC comes from a site including all its updates, some of these installs/updates are huge files too it just seems in this day and age that it should be straight forward to do something like this so in the future a conversation would go like this:

"Wow, how did you make your Z10 do THAT!!!?"

"Oh. I downloaded the new 10.3.2.1999 software update from wwwBlackBerryupdates.com"this morning, it just came out today"

"Oh, wow, I will update my Z10 when I get home"

Regards David

Z10 / 10.2.1.1925

Because when they download and install the update and they reboot their phones to find the lovely red light lit up and not flashing who do you think they are gonna call. Their carrier, that's right. Why is this so hard to comprehend? And incidentally, ALL updates do come directly from BlackBerry servers. Except T-Mobile I believe.
    01-10-14 08:41 PM
    D,

The ideal solution you speak about is something that is probably being worked on, to understand why it hasn't always been that way you have to look at the past and the way updates have been distributed and who is and has been responsible for an end users handset working properly.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 08:54 AM