I have installed the the official WhatsApp Android version plus the WhatsFixer in my BlackBerry Passport.
    Now, if I update to the latest WhatsApp apk version, that functions better, the native "Android Player" and WhatsApp apk consume much more the battery!
    So, should I NEVER UPDATE the apk?
    02-04-18 12:35 PM
    So, should I NEVER UPDATE the apk?
    Sometimes it is better to just resist the temptation and leave it alone if it is doing ok. With the ancient android runtime in BB10 things are just going to get worse and worse everytime you update. Functions and features will be added that will just drag the runtime down and with it, your battery. It is human nature to hit the update button or download the newest apk but try to resist.
    02-04-18 12:41 PM
    Try restarting your phone.

You'll have to update WhatsApp eventually as older versions expire a few months after release.
    02-04-18 12:44 PM
    Try restarting your phone.

You'll have to update WhatsApp eventually as older versions expire a few months after release.
    ^This.
    02-04-18 12:46 PM
    After install the last version, my WA crash from time to time. And after launching again it ask for restore the chat backup.

Also I detected many backups files stored in internal, considering that each is 40 mb, it is very high space consuming.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-18 10:05 AM
    One of the reasons WA didn't continue supporting their old apps on BB10 and several other platforms is because they were working on new features for their supported platforms. It wouldn't be surprising that they're starting to roll out those new features, or that those new features consume more resources or have conflicts with the old and limited Android Runtime that's built into BB10.

No Android app is *guaranteed* to work (or work WELL) on BB10, as BB10's Android Runtime isn't a full implementation of Android, and because it's stuck on v4.3 forever. If you are depending on an Android app running on BB10, you have to be prepared for it to stop working at any time, because that's the reality. WA isn't going to make any special effort to keep it working on BB10, and if the changes they're making cause it to break on BB10, they're just going to recommend that you use an officially-supported platform (i.e., Android or iOS) if you want WhatsApp.

All this has been well known for at least 18 months already, since the original announcement in the fall of 2016 that BB10 support was ending (which got pushed out twice, but has finally come and gone).
    02-23-18 04:01 PM
    The android apps that run the best on bb10 are the ones that still have android 2.3 support like messenger lite

Posted via CB10
    02-23-18 05:51 PM
    My daughter has installed android WhatsApp on her Z30 and it surpasses all expectations. Works great !
    02-24-18 06:37 AM
    I am aware of WA is running on anon supported device, but as far as I can run I will keep looking for solutions or workarounds to do it.
    About new features, i disagree with WA model of business, backward compatibility should be a priority of communication.

That's the problem of private economical priorities over standards in protocols.
    Fortunately TCP, email, ftp were based in standards and long term compatibility, otherwise and IMHO we will be 20years in the past..

Posted via CB10
    02-24-18 10:25 AM
    About new features, i disagree with WA model of business, backward compatibility should be a priority of communication.
    But WhatsApp has "backwards compatibility" on supported devices/OS. Still works on Android Gingerbread.
    02-24-18 10:38 AM
    That's true that they are still delivering new version of WA for old androids but by backward compatibility i was referring about service being compatible with old versions of software client.

WA client expires very soon, so it requires constant updates. In brief as soon as they move on requirements the expiration time is few months

Posted via CB10
    02-25-18 01:53 PM
    OP, try WA version 2.17.427. It's one that I tested personally and it worked great, however this was over a month ago and tech moves real fast these days, so not sure how long it'll stay a nice stable option. Give it a shot anyway as the latest one seems to be gobbling down the passport's power.
    02-25-18 02:35 PM
    It's not WA it's Android Runtime that's making trouble. It needs to settle down but it doesn't mean it will. If your phone heats up its Android Runtime
    02-25-18 02:40 PM
    Since you require internet to actually use the app, they considered it ok to require updates every couple of months. It's not like whatsapp has any great offline functionality.

And as people said, if it doesn't break on an Android device, that's all that matters; they don't check (or care) about people who run their app on non-supported devices.
    02-25-18 02:55 PM
    That's true that they are still delivering new version of WA for old androids but by backward compatibility i was referring about service being compatible with old versions of software client.

WA client expires very soon, so it requires constant updates. In brief as soon as they move on requirements the expiration time is few months

Posted via CB10
    They do this to keep feature parity, and realistically if you're on Android 2.3.3 and your WhatsApp build expires all you need to do is update the app. The only people that have to worry are those on unsupported platforms.

The other option is the BBM method which, given the recent cross platform issues, isn't great for users in the grand scheme of things.
    02-25-18 05:42 PM
    It's not WA it's Android Runtime that's making trouble. It needs to settle down but it doesn't mean it will. If your phone heats up its Android Runtime
    They are not mutually exclusive. Apps can repeatedly trigger events in the Runtime.
    02-25-18 05:44 PM
    Yes WA policy is focused in automatic updates but is shouldn't be.
    A good practice is control the updates, and also many people is running out of internal memory so with each required update they struggle to free mem and update.

Any software which is not stable for at least a year, in my opinion lacks of quality or respect for end users or they are delivering beta vers.
    Why parity is so important? I don't see any WA feature which really requires this parity, there many ways to manage it, without parity.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dpgo; 02-27-18 at 02:31 AM.
    02-27-18 02:11 AM
    A good practice is control the updates, and also many people is running out of internal memory so with each required update they struggle to free mem and update.

Any software which is not stable for at least a year, in my opinion lacks of quality or respect for end users or they are delivering beta vers.
    Why parity is so important? I don't see any WA feature which really requires this parity, there many ways to manage it, without parity.

Posted via CB10

Your definition of stable for software is way off. We call ca piece of software stable, when crashes/errors are are and it working as designed. The word you are looking for is probably "stagnant".

parity is important because it simplifies the code and thus produces less errors. Let's assume you want to introduce feature X, and you put it in the latest version. you will most likely have to also create a compatibility layer between apps that know of feature X and those that do not. ok.... simple enough.

The problem is when you also want to introduce feature Y and feature Z. That compatibility layer becomes more and more complicated and thus more prone to errors. Also testing becomes much more complicated. The forced update policy means that compatibility layer is only used for a small set of features at once. A good example of this is language translations. You start with a sentence in English (the base app) which you have to translate to German (base app + feature X), then to French (base app + features X,Y) and finally to Japanese (base app + features X,Y,Z). The more translations you do, the more likely it is to lose some information from the original message. But if you start with french and just have to do one translation, then there are less chances of this happening.

The best example for this is the end-to-end encryption feature. It would have defeated its purpose to have some users use it and not others.

Most online-only services have a kind of a "force-update" feature, you just don't notice it as often because it happens in the backend without any input from you. You have no idea how often websites change their backend code and feature set, but you don't see it because you are automatically forced to use the new version once you enter the web-address and press enter.
    02-27-18 05:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    Updates are not an issue whatsoever on a supported platform.
    02-27-18 07:14 AM
    So you don't end up with millions of users complaining about issues like this,

https://forums.crackberry.com/genera...-pics-1131075/

At the end of the day if a user sees a feature in an app and they want to use it, they expect it to work. The best way to ensure it will work 99.9% of the time and keep users happy is if all users are as close to the latest release as possible.

There's a reason why WhatsApp was able to overtake almost every chat app on the market in a few years, they're obviously doing something right.
    02-27-18 10:22 AM