I've been very excited for the headless app feature to arrive since I first got my z10 back in April (US lol) and I've finally gotten a real taste of how nice they are. I've run the app wallpaper changer HD pretty much since I got my device, mostly for the superbar, and secondarily for the wallpaper changing, but the changing was a key feature for me. For those that don't know it looks like this:

Late night thoughts on active frames and headless apps-img_20130531.png

As you can see it unfortunately no longer really fits with 10.2.1.1055, although it still does provide very useful information. Now, pre 10.2.1, I've always had the active frame as the battery percentage which was always kind of redundant, but now even makes less sense with the addition of the battery percentage during the peek for those that are familiar with .1055. So because of this I've decided to use the weather active frame instead and it worked alright:

Late night thoughts on active frames and headless apps-img_20130533.png

Which finally brings me to the first long running headless app I've tried, "wallpaper changer" (not HD). I'm a pretty heavy user so I try to minimize the amount of apps I have open and only leave ones running that provide me with useful information, and having a bunch of battery meters looks stupid. The weather, battery, and wallpaper changing are the things I always like to have on hand so this setup worked ok, but imo looks kind of crappy.

Late night thoughts on active frames and headless apps-img_20130532.png

However with a long running wallpaper changer I'm able to REALLY clean up my active frames page with an app that has a gorgeous active frame.

Late night thoughts on active frames and headless apps-img_20130535.png

This brings me to my final and most likely long overdue point, that I have found a new love for active frames and keeping them open when they're well done and have useful information displayed. For example, I use my calendar pretty often, so why not leave it open?

Late night thoughts on active frames and headless apps-img_20130536.png

Looks great and no redundancies. Hell I use twitter pretty often too, I'll leave that one open since it displays recent tweets. May as well leave cb10 open too when I know I'll have some free time to kill since it has recent articles and I'll be able to see all this info at a glance.

Anyway, I'm very excited for developers and even some native BlackBerry apps to have more useful active frames and for more apps to go headless. If the music app was headless and I could pull it up from the quick settings, that would be great. And let's not forget how nice bebuzz or hub++, etc would be headless. Oh and the one app I have running in the background is taking up .02% of my battery. Not bad so far. And honorable mention to theScore for being kind of headless with news notifications but opening instelf with score notifications. Sorry for the long post, I have nothing else to do now that I'm finished with finals and my sleeping schedule is not of a normal human being.

Posted via CB10
    Omahahaha likes this.
    12-11-13 05:10 AM
    Good points. I certainly like to make use of Active Frames, especially when they display useful information. Like you, I think even when headless comes, there will still be apps I'll keep open. But headless would be great for the apps you mentioned, BeBuzz, Wallpaper Changer, etc.
    12-11-13 06:32 AM
    Kind of like windows tiles, eh
    12-11-13 07:27 AM
    Kind of like windows tiles, eh
    Is it? I've never had a chance to actually use WP outside of an ATT store.
    12-11-13 06:23 PM