Out of curiousity I took a look at my data usage for the past 48 hrs. Under "System" it shows 7.4GB downloaded. Thank god I'm on Wifi, but how to I find out if this is a) correct, and b) what exactly "System" constitutes. I do no video, audio or photos. Simply talk on the phone an hour or so a day, and monitor this forum. I don't get a lot of email, but all of these programs wouldn't be under "System" anyway, correct?

Edit: I was just notified of an available OS update which was 472MB, but manually downloaded. But could this somehow be connected? I don't see how, but you never know.
    Last edited by bruce73; 03-18-14 at 08:59 PM.
    03-18-14 08:21 PM
    What do your PIM services do? As far as I detected now do PIM services poll e-mail-servers on and on and on. This causes a lot of traffic, especially if you have crowded e-mail inboxes on your servers and perhaps you turned on folder synchronization and immediate image download ... Check this. Remove your e-mail-accounts for a test and check what happens. If this is the reason reduce the polling interval.

The second is BB World. Turn "Wifi only" on.

There's an option in the settings for automatic updates. Turn this off. You never know when this happens and what connection you have in this moment.
    03-19-14 01:59 AM
    I always have BlackBerry World on Wi-Fi only. I have 3 email accounts ( outlook, gmail, and my personal ISP ) but I only get a handful a day, polling every 15 min ( IMAP with gmail ).

Anyway, this is what I'm talking about. No way I've downloaded 8GB in the last 48 hrs. I've only had the Q10 for a few weeks. Could this be a total number?

Large data usage with "System"-img_20140319_034852.png

Posted via CB10 with my Q10 on AT&T
    03-19-14 06:00 AM
    Interesting. I don't think this is a total number, the graph shows it, it's more or less permanently.

Note: the y-axis is hard to interpret - the unit is not "MB" but "MB per time". This depends on the update interval of that diagram. So we can't take the absolute numbers on the axis seriously for anything. 8GB in 48h would mean about 50kB per second. And because you have over night interruptions it must be more, 80 or 100kB or so, each second.

Fascinating is that this is truely related to the presence of wifi. It doesn't switch to cellular if wifi is off.

• Does it happen in a concrete wifi only or in every wifi network?
    • What happens after a reboot?

For comparison: my System process did only 445kB/393kB (cellular) and 95kb/64kB (wifi) in the last 48h.
    03-19-14 07:12 AM
    Rebooting doesn't seem to affect anything. Can't really speak for anything other than my home Wifi which I'm on 90% of the time.

Last edited by bruce73; 03-19-14 at 01:01 PM.
    03-19-14 08:31 AM
    Which app are you using?
    03-23-14 01:45 PM
    These stats are the System ones from Device Manager.

03-23-14 05:03 PM
    Make sure you are not sending data to BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 05:04 PM
    Where do I check for that? I also was wondering,since all this data is while connected to my home LAN, if enabling Remote File Access in Link is the culprit. I don't really do that much with it at all, but maybe something going on in the background?

03-23-14 08:30 PM
    Where do I check for that?
    Sorry, mine speaks German, I don't know the English words. I have in the settings something like "Security and Data protection" and below this is "Diagnosis". There's a single "Send" option which must be switched off, otherwise your BB sends data continously to RIM. On the other hand I don't think that this is the reason for your gigantic traffic. You have something else.

I wonder mostly about that it happens only using wifi. This makes me assume it's an app specialized to wifi, a media streaming app like TuneIn Radio or so. (I can't imagine it's really System, System is the OS kernel!) Perhaps you have still a zombie streaming process of that now, I mean a running process in memory but with a broken GUI which is invisible now. Such things can happen also in Unix operating systems. And this process runs and runs and runs and pumps streaming data. Guesswork of me. But by a reboot such processes should disappear.

Next guess: also look upon other criteria. A process that causes that much traffic must also consume a lot of power and processor time. What are the top consumers? On my device System consumes about 10% of accu and 7...14% of CPU.
    03-24-14 02:12 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions and info. Diagnostics sent to BlackBerry is set to Off, so that's not in the mix. There have been plenty of reboots which have had no effect, so it's definitely something ongoing. System, going back through 48 hrs, has been 45-50 % CPU. As for battery consumption, it's generally second to Standby, well into double digits. I've disabled Remote Access in Link last night, so I'll see if that makes any difference.

03-24-14 07:01 AM
    System, going back through 48 hrs, has been 45-50 % CPU.
    Well, that's really a lot. What does this thing???
    I've disabled Remote Access in Link last night, so I'll see if that makes any difference.
    I never understood what this option means. I had this always off.

If nothing helps you could save your data and reset the device to the defaults again. But, of course, this is the last you normally think about ...
    03-24-14 07:28 AM
    The dreaded reset, lol. Yeah, last resort, I guess. Remote Access allows you to send/receive/view files on your PC with File Explorer via Wi-Fi. While I've had it on all the time, I seldom move files back and forth. I turned it off to see if that affects anything.

03-24-14 07:46 AM
    So I turned off Remote Access from 8:30 last night to 8:30 this morning. Clearly it is the reason for the Wifi data usage, but I have no idea how or why:
    Attached Thumbnails Large data usage with "System"-img_20140324_113210.png  
    Last edited by bruce73; 03-24-14 at 07:01 PM.
    03-24-14 01:36 PM
    Good news after all. And good to know.

Do you have a PC permanently running in the same wifi network? If so this issue could also be caused by some evil software on your PC which permanently tries to access your BB. And the BB answers correctly on an on. You could do a test with Remote Access on but definitely no other PC in the same wifi area running. I guess if the BB is alone in the network there's also no traffic.

But, hey, it's really idiotic and surely a bug. What data should that be - 7.4GB??? And where are all the transfered data now, what happend to them?
    03-25-14 01:39 AM
    I have Link installed on just one of my networked computers and the Q10 shows no data transmission if that PC is hibernating. The Q10 shows as two networked drives in Explorer ( which I'm guessing is normal ), but, yeah, there are no files being sent back and forth, so I don't know what these figures are related to.

03-25-14 06:29 AM
    I always have BlackBerry World on Wi-Fi only. I have 3 email accounts ( outlook, gmail, and my personal ISP ) but I only get a handful a day, polling every 15 min ( IMAP with gmail ).

Anyway, this is what I'm talking about. No way I've downloaded 8GB in the last 48 hrs. I've only had the Q10 for a few weeks. Could this be a total number?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140319_034852.png 
Views:	533 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	256439

How do you get those graphs?
    03-25-14 07:05 AM
    Device monitor / battery tab / system. The times with no Wifi usage is when my PC is asleep; the other times are with Remote Access enabled with the PC awake.

03-25-14 09:58 AM