With the advent of the new Note 7 on the horizon, I have come to an interesting crossroads.....

Being a PROUD Blackberry owner since the launch of the Bold 9700, I have faithfully stood by, argued by and fought by Blackberry's side.

I fear this is now coming to an end.... Why?

1) They have adopted the Droid operating system.

2) Our native updates and support have been laughable by this point.

3) Although Blackberry adopting the Droid operating system is not a total travesty, the Blackberry devices are not coming out fast enough and are not competitive enough.

4) The Rome, doesn't look to be remotely close to what the Note 7 is going to bring.

5) The Note 7 has 6gb DDR4 memory...

Please give me any hope that you may know of to hang out....

We used to have leaked OS' to keep some excitement going, we literally have nothing now....

Help me Blackberry community, I am on life support....

Sincerely,

A Battered Fan.
    Gerii likes this.
    06-21-16 04:21 PM
    Only you can decide what is best for you. Try the Priv. Many people love it. Or try an Android. I love mine. Whichever you choose, do it for your own reasons. Not for what other people say.
    06-21-16 04:54 PM
    The Hamburg is not intended to be a flagship. It is a mid-range corporate device. Its hardened OS is its selling point. The Rome has that plus the pkb.

BlackBerry's buying power will never allow it to win a spec war. If that's really what you want, you always had to look elsewhere.
    06-21-16 05:40 PM
    ok looking somewhere else starting tonight!
    06-22-16 08:57 AM
    With the advent of the new Note 7 on the horizon, I have come to an interesting crossroads.....

Being a PROUD Blackberry owner since the launch of the Bold 9700, I have faithfully stood by, argued by and fought by Blackberry's side.

3) Although Blackberry adopting the Droid operating system is not a total travesty, the Blackberry devices are not coming out fast enough and are not competitive enough.

4) The Rome, doesn't look to be remotely close to what the Note 7 is going to bring.

We used to have leaked OS' to keep some excitement going, we literally have nothing now....

Sincerely,

A Battered Fan.
    I was in the same boat. I finally had to go iOS. The email was an adjustment because iOS doesn't handle files as well as it handles video and picture
    06-22-16 01:41 PM
    When's the last time you upgraded the OS on your Home Computer (before Windows 10 arrived) Ya don't hear people complaining about having the same OS for years.
    The latest OS on my Passport is awesome. But then, I don't use it to play games, I'm not a member of any social clubs and I watch my videos on a 60" 3D HDTV.

Blackberry has always targeted a more business oriented demographic. I have the entire mobile version of Microsoft Office on my Passport,for example.
    If you want a mobile device that is made better and has an OS that the others can't come close to and you're serious about what you do, you;ll go with Blackberry.

Sure... everyone has their opinion about what and where Chen and Blackberry are going and how the complainers could do a better job, but, the bottom line is:
    IT AIN"T OVER TILL IT'S OVER! And while people hear the same words yet get completely different ideas about what was said: CHEN has NOT said it's over.

You want a toy? Then Buy one that WILL "excite" you.

Forget about being the proud and faithful owner of a cell phone, because no one else really cares and you shouldn't care what others think.

We're talking about a small handheld mobile device that, while it IS a convenience, really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

Deciding what device you want isn't rocket science. How many Different Blackberrys have you purchased since that Bold 9700? Any device you buy today is going to be useless in a few years.
    The digital "revolution" is so new it's still in the "baby" stage. It's got a long way to go before mobile devices become really sophisticated.
    And when that day comes... mobile devices will be replaced with some kind of digital chip implant.
    And then of course, eventually the machines will take over and so on.

Enjoy what you have to the fullest....TODAY .....because tomorrow may never come.

And that's the good thing about the future... it only comes one day at a time!
    Last edited by Lostboy5151; 06-23-16 at 05:49 PM.
    06-22-16 03:41 PM
    So... ahem... whens that Note7 out???

whistles innocently
    06-22-16 04:31 PM
    Note 7? ... not even sure if serious or just trollin here
    Vistaus likes this.
    06-22-16 04:40 PM
    I always get the rumour names mixed up, but the Rome has the PKB I believe. So if that doesn't interest you, you might as well look at the Note 7 or something else.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 04:53 PM
    So... ahem... whens that Note7 out???

whistles innocently
    August probably?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 04:54 PM

Sincerely,

A Battered Fan.
    You have great points , but Blackberry is not a consumer phone. It's made to work and work well. OS 10 does not get many updates because it does not need them, it's a Corprate OS not for the masses. Enjoy you product, which ever you chose life is to short to worry what the trolls thinks!

Woof!
    anon(3732391) and acovey like this.
    06-22-16 08:28 PM
    You have great points , but Blackberry is not a consumer phone. It's made to work and work well. OS 10 does not get many updates because it does not need them, it's a Corprate OS not for the masses. Enjoy you product, which ever you chose life is to short to worry what the trolls thinks!

Woof!
    My parents and I use BlackBerry 10 as a consumer and we (still) love it so it does work as a consumer phone as well.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    06-22-16 11:54 PM
    BlackBerry did give a new os ,they using android now
    06-23-16 12:25 AM
    My parents and I use BlackBerry 10 as a consumer and we (still) love it so it does work as a consumer phone as well.

You do know you are the exception... and not the rule.

Personally with Cobalt's help, BB10 was very usable. But it's clear there is no future in BB10, it was clear there was no device that was an upgrade for me. Aso clear was the one person I talked into buying a Z10... I regretted! Just took too much work for the average consumer that wants apps to be able to use it. From what I've deduced here.... you have the "I don't need apps" crowd and the "power user" crowd that loves fiddling... and then my company made me use this "how can I download x" crowd. But simple day to day consumers... not so much.
    06-23-16 03:31 PM
    BlackBerry did give a new os ,they using android now
    Not that new, plenty of users from various Smartphone builders already have that one!

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    06-23-16 03:38 PM

Personally with Cobalt's help, BB10 was very usable. But it's clear there is no future in BB10, it was clear there was no device that was an upgrade for me. Aso clear was the one person I talked into buying a Z10... I regretted! Just took too much work for the average consumer that wants apps to be able to use it. From what I've deduced here.... you have the "I don't need apps" crowd and the "power user" crowd that loves fiddling... and then my company made me use this "how can I download x" crowd. But simple day to day consumers... not so much.

I'm a little unclear about that DDD. You did mean "In your opinion," right?
    Because, Chen has clearly NOT said it's over! (just saying.......)
    anon(9742832) and Vistaus like this.
    06-23-16 05:56 PM

I didn't ever say we are the rule, I just said it *CAN* work as a consumer device as proven by me and my parents (my mum and I have a Passport, my dad has a Leap). Of course I know that we are exceptions, I never denied that.

anon(9742832) and acovey like this.
    06-23-16 11:52 PM
    Honest truth?

The Blackberry Android experiment is a failure.

The marketplace has weighed the Chendroid and found it wanting.

Passports are selling for as much as the PRIV. There are (or were as of a week ago) new PRIVs on ebay for $299. That's $500 less than Blackberry's asking list price, and $300 less than their shopblackberry.com sale price.

As for where you go from here...I'd probably keep using the existing phone that you have (assuming it's a BB10 phone) until it's unusable or broken.

Then, when it's time to make a move, you have to move to Windows Phone, iOS, or Android. My recommendation would be Windows Phone.

If you make the decision to move to Android, I'd consider the Blackphone BP2 first as it lets you manage app permissions like BB10. Any other droid (Blackberry's offerings included) give apps carte blanche to harvest your personal information. Behind that are offerings from Motorola, LG, Oneplus, Samsung, etc.

Good luck. You're facing the decision that all us Blackberry faithful will be making in the next year or two.

Hindsight being 20/20, it would have been much easier for a competent Blackberry CEO to leave the existing BB10 infrastructure in place and make sure that a dozen or two mission critical apps were available on the platform even if it meant bringing development of those apps in house.

Instead, you ended up with visionless beancounting CEO from a database company who scrapped the platform, destroyed the company's niche, and has ruined it.

Arguably, the Passport was the *only* successful idea of Chen's tenure at Blackberry, and that was the brainchild of his predecessor.
    acovey likes this.
    06-26-16 01:20 PM
    Good point. I honestly have no idea which way I will go once my Passport SE dies. Can't stand the Droid though tried many times. Hopefully they (I mean that one last developer left) roll out those nothing but security patches to address bugs here and there.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 01:58 PM
    Note 7? ... not even sure if serious or just trollin here
    Serious. I'm wondering if a tablet + stylus option would be better than pure touchscreen, if my PKB option is gone. .
    06-29-16 01:52 PM

Sincerely,

A Battered Fan.
    are you a car salesman?
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    06-30-16 04:25 PM
    are you a car salesman?
    I can ice to Eskimos. Does that count???
    07-01-16 02:09 PM
    Honest truth?

The Blackberry Android experiment is a failure.

The marketplace has weighed the Chendroid and found it wanting.

Passports are selling for as much as the PRIV. There are (or were as of a week ago) new PRIVs on ebay for $299. That's $500 less than Blackberry's asking list price, and $300 less than their shopblackberry.com sale price.

As for where you go from here...I'd probably keep using the existing phone that you have (assuming it's a BB10 phone) until it's unusable or broken.

Then, when it's time to make a move, you have to move to Windows Phone, iOS, or Android. My recommendation would be Windows Phone.

If you make the decision to move to Android, I'd consider the Blackphone BP2 first as it lets you manage app permissions like BB10. Any other droid (Blackberry's offerings included) give apps carte blanche to harvest your personal information. Behind that are offerings from Motorola, LG, Oneplus, Samsung, etc.

Good luck. You're facing the decision that all us Blackberry faithful will be making in the next year or two.
    Don't forget Sailfish OS, an OS based on Nokia Meego. It will be available on the Fairphone 2 and the Turing Phone, as well on JollaC.
    Sailfish use gest like BB10 and can run Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-02-16 02:15 AM
    August 2nd is the announcement.
    07-04-16 07:48 PM
    I actually had the blackphone 2 for a short period of time you can load their software on other droid phones via silent circle. So that issue won't be a problem. There isn't any good blackberries planned on either OS with a nice keyboard on the horizon. Which is very sad.
    07-04-16 07:51 PM
39 12