Clearly, if I'm wrong about my earlier statements (which I'm not), then BB10 will flourish.

People in the street will be chatting about their new bb's. The accessories section of your average mobile phone shop will slowly start to shrink the other boards down to make way for more blackberry addons.

If I'm right (which I am...) Then instead, we'll see more of the same and an appworld filled by substandard, go-it-alone garbage fiercely defended by a tiny band of geeks, unable to make the slightest difference to the BB market.

Good luck. I hope I'm wrong...
    You are wrong. So you should feel happy.
    01-31-13 03:39 PM
    Not having google maps isn't a dealbreaker for most bb fans but the op has a point for potential "converts". Google maps is the best navigation tool and it is superior to bb maps and bb traffic. I will be getting bb10 regardless, but I do have concerns for the availability off popular apps which will be vital for bb's comeback attempt.
    01-31-13 09:02 PM
    Google maps is spyware and one is better off not using such junkware.
    this is the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen posted on this website.
    01-31-13 09:13 PM
    You are wrong. So you should feel happy.
    I'm wrong? How? Here's some evidence of me being very, very right:
    • Retailers still have tiny blackberry sections
    • Appworld's top picks still revolve around wikitude and some bollocks groupon app etc, nothing new
    • Not ONE single person I know has even MENTIONED this 'groundbreaking' BB10 release, yet alone discussed dumping their phone for a BB because it's such a game-changer

Feel free to point out any slivers of evidence to the contrary, else, your retort is a baseless, incorrect attempt at an argument you cannot win.
    02-01-13 05:51 AM
    Sarcasm warning!

Obviously, I must be the smartest person in the world as for 20 years, I've never once had to look at a map to figure out how to drive from my house to my work. I've driven across Canada and down the west coast of the US without a map. Got lost once, met a nice old couple and asked for directions, and was on my way. I've managed to walk 6 blocks to the corner store without needing to plot my best route on a map oh maybe 5000 times. I'm here today so I obviously didn't get lost.

So somewhat tongue and cheek, but what exactly are you people doing with your maps? And how come so many of you seem so woefully inept at navigating around your own city? I just don't understand what the obsession with maps is and find it very humorous to see so many people needing to look at a map to drive 5 blocks across town.

I'll run and duck for cover now.
    02-01-13 08:43 AM
    Sarcasm warning!

Obviously, I must be the smartest person in the world as for 20 years, I've never once had to look at a map to figure out how to drive from my house to my work. I've driven across Canada and down the west coast of the US without a map. Got lost once, met a nice old couple and asked for directions, and was on my way. I've managed to walk 6 blocks to the corner store without needing to plot my best route on a map oh maybe 5000 times. I'm here today so I obviously didn't get lost.

So somewhat tongue and cheek, but what exactly are you people doing with your maps? And how come so many of you seem so woefully inept at navigating around your own city? I just don't understand what the obsession with maps is and find it very humorous to see so many people needing to look at a map to drive 5 blocks across town.

I'll run and duck for cover now.
    Some people live in big cities that span dozens of miles with tens of thousands of businesses and make deliveries or like to discover new places or search what's around them...
    02-01-13 08:52 AM
    Yikes... I think it may be time to stay away from the forums again as it is too easy to get drawn into conversations/arguments.

Let's call a spade a spade, shall we?

FIrst, it is completely unrealistic for BlackBerry to have its own native mapping application that is as good as Google Maps. Apple doesn't. Windows doesn't and both have more money and resources than Blackberry.

Second, it is (maybe not completely) unrealistic for Google to release a BB10 Google Maps app on launch day. Again, Apple users had to wait (and I don't know Windows users). They are going to wait and see how things pan out with BB10 before releasing a native app. It has to return some monetary value for them to do so. Since there are 80 million pre-BB10 users out there, that is likely why existing devices have a Google Maps so it lends weight that Google will release one when Google sees fit (unless BlackBerry pays them crap loads of money which I think they shouldn't do). This also means that it may take a while before a native Google Maps app shows up in BlackBerry World. You will all have to deal with that. That's the price of being an early adopter with a new platform. If you don't like it, well I guess stick with something else for 6 months or a year and go from there.

Third, BlackBerry likely did the best they could do with what they had. At the core, you want to know where you are and where you are going with a mapping app and they've provided that. Don't get me wrong, I like all the other features as well but again, you will likely have to wait until we get Google Maps since I don't believe BlackBerry can get those features from anyone else.

Fourth, there are alternatives like sideloading or using the browser but, serioulsly, they wont be as good as a native. I've tried using Google Maps on the Playbook and it is an exercise in frustration. You can get it to work with time and effort but, really, it shouldn't be that hard. Maybe some of you are more patient but none of you can tell me you'd chose the browser if you could have a native app.

I expect to have to wait for a native Google Maps application and while disappointed (since I rely on it heavily while on holidays), BB Maps should still get you where you need to go.

If you want it to go faster, then start a petition on Google with BB10 users to get them to build it and see what BlackBerry can do to help.
    02-01-13 11:28 AM
    Apparently y'all don't spend much time in the BlackBerryZ10 forum. Someone Posted the BAR file for google maps and it Works!

Here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...6/#post7917800
    02-01-13 11:35 AM
    this was a concern for me. But beta testing blackberry navigator has neutralised that concern for me.
    This. I've been testing BB Navigator as well, and it's completely replaced Google Maps for me. Directions are just as good. It's never failed to find what I'm looking for, and it has voice turn-by-turn, which Google Maps doesn't.
    02-01-13 12:15 PM
109 ... 345