Is there any chance that Google will release maps for BB10? I currently own a galaxy nexus and I seriously don't think I can live without it. I use it like almost everyday, especially for public transportation.
    01-28-13 02:48 PM
    We have no idea...we were told TomTom paired with BlackBerry for maps a while back and this has been discussed in several threads in regards to how people "think" things will go....I guess we just have to wait another day and a half to find out for sure...
    01-28-13 02:51 PM
    Google Maps (desktop ver) has been run on the Dev Alpha and the Android Google app ported to Playbook OS and BB10 will work as well.
    I would evaluate BB10 Maps before assuming it will not meet your needs. It could very well be fantastic and you won't feel the need for Google Maps at all.
    01-28-13 02:55 PM
    if its a 'deal breaker; then blackberry might not be for you
    01-28-13 02:56 PM
    this was a concern for me. But beta testing blackberry navigator has neutralised that concern for me.
    01-28-13 03:03 PM
    I used an N8 for a while. I loved the phone size and camera but utterly hated the OS. I also loved the free Nokia maps that consumed no data.

Any ideas if BB navigator will sip data or will it consume large amounts?
    01-28-13 03:13 PM
    Sideload android version. Problem solved.

As others said, can also use website. Nokia Maps at HERE - City and Country Maps - Driving Directions - Satellite Views - Routes is also very nice. Has transit directions.
    southlander likes this.
    01-28-13 03:18 PM
    Sideload android version. Problem solved.

As others said, can also use website. Nokia Maps at HERE - City and Country Maps - Driving Directions - Satellite Views - Routes is also very nice. Has transit directions.
    I'm confused. How can you side load an android app that wasn't designed for bb10?
    RonBHolmes2nd likes this.
    01-28-13 04:59 PM
    I used an N8 for a while. I loved the phone size and camera but utterly hated the OS. I also loved the free Nokia maps that consumed no data.

Any ideas if BB navigator will sip data or will it consume large amounts?
    Generally speaking Apps on BB Platforms tend to be more sippers than gulpers.
    01-28-13 05:07 PM
    I'm confused. How can you side load an android app that wasn't designed for bb10?
    BB10 and the PlayBook OS both have the Android runtime included, you can get Apps that have been converted from AFK to BAR. Check the forums here for info, it's been discussed ALOT!
    01-28-13 05:08 PM
    Android apps are never designed for bb10, they are designed for android. However BB10, like PBOS can run some android apps, and google maps is one of them.
    Head over to the Playbook forums to learn more about sideloading and running android applications on blackberry.
    jerryeight likes this.
    01-28-13 05:12 PM
    Seriously, one app is a deal breaker? You don't see anything wrong with that thought process? There are just so many different apps that do almost the same thing, I can't imagine not getting the BB10 because of ONE app, but thats just me .....I guess
    jesse_h, kbz1960, shupor and 10 others like this.
    01-28-13 05:18 PM
    I can appreciate that it is an incredibly significant deal breaker for some, including me. I travel a lot and, when travelling, rely on public transit. Google maps has the single best global integration of transit information. Not having Google maps (and, by extension, transit) means that the device is a non-viable work phone for me.
    jsdhornby likes this.
    01-28-13 06:05 PM
    I don't use google maps. I have tried BB maps. Seems very nice to me. Integrated with BB Traffic.
    01-28-13 06:16 PM
    I wonder how some people ever managed to get around before Google Maps.
    Must have been a lot of lost souls wandering aimlessly, asking strangers, can you please tell me how to get to (insert destination here).
    01-28-13 07:46 PM
    If bb10 doesn't have a screen, then I'm out.
    01-28-13 07:57 PM
    Not only that, yesterday my gps on my 9900 was acting up. There was a learning curve just useing google maps as point A-B map, without that blinking blue light you actually have to look where your going lol.
    Spencerdl and bungaboy like this.
    01-28-13 08:15 PM
    If bb10 doesn't have a screen, then I'm out.
    In a few years maybe nothing will have screens, just holographic projection instead, or better yet, electronic transfer straight to you brain.
    01-28-13 08:20 PM
    I heard Google Maps will be on at launch with a native app

But we have to wait and see : )
    01-28-13 09:12 PM
    I heard Google Maps will be on at launch with a native app

But we have to wait and see : )
    I think you heard wrong. Sorry.
    01-28-13 09:33 PM
    Since the bb10 browser will be based on WebKit and has awesome HTML5 compliance I'm not worries about being forced to use the browser based version of Google maps. I don't drive so I doing care about navigation and in any case BB maps or whatever should do the trick for those situations.
    01-28-13 10:25 PM
    Google maps and other map services are good to have but definitely deal breaker. There are many other map services similar or better than Google. I think BB Maps solution will be quite good as some reliable partners like Tom Tom are behind it. In any case lets wait for Wednesday.
    01-28-13 10:50 PM
    I dunno, the public transit features of Google Maps as well as the live traffic are pretty important for me. Even though I have BB Maps on my 9900, I use Google wayyy more frequently for these two features.

It'd be great if the new BB Maps included this functionality, but I'm not sure it will.
    01-28-13 11:02 PM
    Street View is a huge feature Google has over the other map providers.
    01-29-13 12:07 AM
    Google maps is the kind of app that your standard man-on-the-street is familiar with.

Enthusiasts claiming that a modern 'groundbreaking' smartphone doesn't need it because there's something propriatory and 'better' isn't going to help.

If BB10 is going to succeed, it needs to have famililar mass-market apps such as TomTom, Google Maps, facebook, twitter, instagram etc all readily available.

If not, the machine'll be dead in the water. Software support is everything, I couldn't care less about the hardware specs or sexy OS features, and neither will the public, I'm afraid.
    01-29-13 02:36 AM
109 123 ...