I guess I'm just spoiled having been used to Windows OSes getting 10 years' support from Microsoft. Four years doesn't seem that long, if you've purchased an iPhone 5 at launch for full price.
    Release crap software patch it for 10 yrs to fix all the issues.. I would call it support.. more CYOB.
    11-01-17 12:17 PM
    Release crap software patch it for 10 yrs to fix all the issues.. I would call it support.. more CYOB.
    "crap", lol.

All OS software regardless of quality gets patched, the longer the support cycle the better it is for customers.
    11-01-17 12:26 PM
    Interesting how this is a patch only for iOS 11, which was only released a few months ago. There must be tens of millions of people using earlier versions of IOS, does that mean they will not get patched?
    Yeah... they upgraded and patched all legacy devices that are still supported... it’s called iOS 11.1

EOL devices are not going to be patched.
    11-01-17 12:27 PM
    Not sure. I just checked on iPad mini running 9.3.5 and no update.
    The mini one won’t be updated anymore cause it’s not compatible with a 64 bits OS
    11-01-17 12:30 PM
    Time to dump my mini i guess.. should have done it 1-2 yrs ago.. need to charge it dust it off and ebay it.
    11-01-17 12:33 PM
    Yeah... they upgraded and patched all legacy devices that are still supported... it’s called iOS 11.1

EOL devices are not going to be patched.
    Which is why I won't be buying another Apple product. If it won't last longer than Android it's not worth 3x as much.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-01-17 05:27 PM
    Which is why I won't be buying another Apple product. If it won't last longer than Android it's not worth 3x as much.

Apple products will be support way more than any android. But to expect a device like a phone or tablet to even be update after 5 years is laughable really. They are all disposable. 3 years is good and any more than that is just extra that i would never really count on.
    11-01-17 05:36 PM

Huh?

To my knowledge, Apple support their products much much longer than Android. Probably twofold longer at least.

My iPad mini two from 2013 just got the latest upgrade and it runs smoothly with no noticeable lag. And it’s a full featured update. I can do a video if you don’t believe me.

Now tell me, which 4 years old Android was updated recently to Oreo????
    11-01-17 05:41 PM

You might be lucky to get two years worth of OS updates on Android flagships (it's much worse on low to midtier devices) whereas Apple is giving you 4-5 years of support. Apple devices aren't that much more expensive than Android flagships and you get much better support from Apple than any Android OEM.
    11-01-17 05:51 PM
    You might be lucky to get two years worth of OS updates on Android flagships (it's much worse on low to midtier devices) whereas Apple is giving you 4-5 years of support. Apple devices aren't that much more expensive than Android flagships and you get much better support from Apple than any Android OEM.
    I own several of both since my kids insist on Apple/IOS. Depending on price of Android device and the update point, the OS are not far apart in price. Android vs IOS flips back and forth because of screen repairs and battery replacements.

Anyway, it's basically Ford or Chevrolet, take your pick.
    11-01-17 06:50 PM
    I own several of both since my kids insist on Apple/IOS. Depending on price of Android device and the update point, the OS are not far apart in price. Android vs IOS flips back and forth because of screen repairs and battery replacements.

Anyway, it's basically Ford or Chevrolet, take your pick.
    True, I'm comparing the latest models but Android flagships do tend to drop price faster than iPhones. The price difference definitely won't be 3x at launch, not even 2x.
    11-01-17 07:34 PM
    I would buy an iPad at < $300 or a cheap Android at < $150.

The only thing we use tablets for is Video, so no "flagships" required. Just a decent motorboat will do.

What sucks is that I recently won a new 128GB iPad and gave it away to a friend because I was satisfied with the performance of my 3rd Gen iPad. Then KRACK was identified, which, in my line of work, effectively bricks my old iPad.

11-02-17 08:11 AM
    I would buy an iPad at < $300 or a cheap Android at < $150.

The only thing we use tablets for is Video, so no "flagships" required. Just a decent motorboat will do.

What sucks is that I recently won a new 128GB iPad and gave it away to a friend because I was satisfied with the performance of my 3rd Gen iPad. Then KRACK was identified, which, in my line of work, effectively bricks my old iPad.

That'll learn ya to re-gift.....
    11-02-17 08:15 AM
    The easy solution for me is to keep buying 4-5 year old iPads off of eBay, while they're still supported, then sell them if a serious security vulnerability is identified. A few extra transactions, but it's cheap and zero money goes to Apple from my wallet, which is the price they pay for not patching a critical security vulnerability that renders their old device unusable. It's not personal. It's just business. ;-)

11-02-17 08:33 AM
    Huh?

To my knowledge, Apple support their products much much longer than Android. Probably twofold longer at least.

My iPad mini two from 2013 just got the latest upgrade and it runs smoothly with no noticeable lag. And it’s a full featured update. I can do a video if you don’t believe me.

Now tell me, which 4 years old Android was updated recently to Oreo????
    Yes, but, for what I need, an Android is much less than half the price of an iPad, has a better UX, let's me integrate with the cloud services I want, etc. Buying a premium iPad that's limited to five years of support and locks me into the Apple ecosystem with a 10 year old interface feels like less value than a disposable Android every two years.

11-02-17 08:41 AM
    The easy solution for me is to keep buying 4-5 year old iPads off of eBay, while they're still supported, then sell them if a serious security vulnerability is identified. A few extra transactions, but it's cheap and zero money goes to Apple from my wallet, which is the price they pay for not patching a critical security vulnerability that renders their old device unusable. It's not personal. It's just business. ;-)

I've always been a zero money to Apple guy. LOL.... It's my kids, teenagers, becoming young adults. They earn their money from real jobs in our family business so I can't refuse them learning pros/cons how to make buying decisions. Up to now, IOS has been close to Android in cost, sometimes better, all depending on which family member's device.

My kids always tease me because, even though I've got current technology with Apple, Google and Microsoft, if you throw BB name on it, soon, I own it. BLackBerry is where I've spent the most by far, even now, it's CrackBerry. LOL
    11-02-17 08:43 AM
    Windows was the first mainstream OS patched for KRACK, beating MAC OS by weeks. My Windows 10 PC runs every piece of business software on earth without a hitch, and is infinitely configurable. Tech support is live and excellent for my Enterprise account. All peripherals are available and work without any fuss.

Mac OS was arguably better than Windows XL, but Mac OS vs. Windows 10 is a no Brainer for this business power user.

11-02-17 08:47 AM
    Winning is not receiving something as a gift.

Q10 SQN 100-1 on 10.3.3.1463
    11-02-17 10:38 AM

I really don't understand, you're buying an EOL or close to EOL device at that point, why would you expect patches? Apple has the best mobile support in the business, if you're not happy with them nothing else will even come close.

If you just need a tablet though, something Windows 10 based might be better. I believe they update the same as desktop Windows.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    11-02-17 10:46 AM
    Winning is not receiving something as a gift.

Q10 SQN 100-1 on 10.3.3.1463
    Minor details. I'm sure the intended humor was understood....
    11-02-17 11:16 AM
    I really don't understand, you're buying an EOL or close to EOL device at that point, why would you expect patches? Apple has the best mobile support in the business, if you're not happy with them nothing else will even come close.

If you just need a tablet though, something Windows 10 based might be better. I believe they update the same as desktop Windows.
    I have no problem with EOL items in general. I would have happily used my old iPad for another 4-5 years with iOS 9.3.5.

The KRACK vulnerability was a pretty unusual event, which necessitates my getting a newer tablet, but I've learned my lesson with buying new items from Apple. My response will be to sell my 3rd Gen and buy the oldest currently supported iPad for a total cost of about $40.

Why buy an old device that's almost EOL, because it does what I need and is cheaper than a new device, which will be EOL'd in five more years anyway.

If you enjoy the benefits of new devices, then buy them. For tablets, there's no reason for me to prefer the current iPad to one four years old. They are exactly the same for my purposes.
    11-02-17 03:36 PM
    Apple products will be support way more than any android. But to expect a device like a phone or tablet to even be update after 5 years is laughable really. They are all disposable. 3 years is good and any more than that is just extra that i would never really count on.

iPhones are certainly not sold for 'disposable' prices.

Maybe you're a rich guy and I'm just a poor slob, though.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-02-17 05:14 PM

New iPhone 6 = $199 now as we speak
    11-02-17 09:58 PM

$299 for a new ipad 4 mini 128Gb which is the newest they have. In the world of tablets that is pretty great value IMO. 2-3 years from now if will stop getting updates and im sure i would have gotten my moneys worth. Hell I actually have had it a year already and its paid for its $300 already
    11-02-17 10:38 PM
    $299 for a new ipad 4 mini 128Gb which is the newest they have. In the world of tablets that is pretty great value IMO. 2-3 years from now if will stop getting updates and im sure i would have gotten my moneys worth. Hell I actually have had it a year already and its paid for its $300 already
    $100 a year for a device I use once every other week is too much for me. Even if Apple supports it for five years, which is their track record, it's too expensive for my needs. I'm not cheap. My high-end laptop costs $4,500, because I use it constantly to make a living, but a tablet for me is an occasional use video appliance.

11-03-17 07:49 AM
423 ... 1112131415 ...