Its not dead we received a update last week.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-17 04:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sure, an update that was just sitting on the BlackBerry servers for almost 4 months before it was finally released.
    10-30-17 05:05 PM
    It is my understanding that it is a rather straightforward fix in the radio software.

Doing the coding is the easy part. Testing, certification, and deployment is the expensive part.

I just don't see tens of thousands of official statements from hundreds of companies providing warnings about every platform or device that WON'T get patched for Krack.
    Funny, I was just looking for that kind of information from Cisco, Microsoft, and Android, to see if they say anything about older software and devices.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    10-30-17 05:18 PM
    THIS!!

For the sake of God, guys, BB10 is dead, move on. Ok if you want to use a vintage system, I for myself love to use my old devices sometimes (webOS, Nokia N900, Palm Treo 680, BB Passport), but I don't try to ask companies to update it since I KNOW all of it is dead for market. Blackberry made a lot of statements making it very clear that their main focus is know on Android services, and that's it. Just move on or, if you want to continue using your 2+ years old device, just deal with your decision.
    Wasn't BB10 updated a week ago or so? Surprise! I know it wasn't a huge update and maybe even a tad overdue but it did advance from 2205 to xxxx? JS.. I can see why folks are dreaming, begging, screaming, etc. That just shows how grand BB10 was and still is.. let them vent.

 Passport SE  -Working wiDe in 2017+...
    rayporsche likes this.
    10-30-17 06:01 PM
    iOS patch is out now too, that just leaves Android (excluding BB Android and Essential Phone) and potentially BB10,

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208222
    10-31-17 01:29 PM
    iOS patch is out now too, that just leaves Android (excluding BB Android and Essential Phone) and potentially BB10,

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208222
    Interesting how this is a patch only for iOS 11, which was only released a few months ago. There must be tens of millions of people using earlier versions of IOS, does that mean they will not get patched?
    10-31-17 02:24 PM
    Interesting how this is a patch only for iOS 11, which was only released a few months ago. There must be tens of millions of people using earlier versions of IOS, does that mean they will not get patched?
    Not sure. I just checked on iPad mini running 9.3.5 and no update.
    10-31-17 02:27 PM
    iOS 11 is supported on all models of iPhone going back to the 5S.

The 5S was first released 4 years ago.

How many 4-year-old Android phones are still getting security updates, let alone major OS updates?

If iPhone or iPad users are running an older version of iOS on a device that supports iOS 11, that's on them, not Apple.

If iPhone or iPad users are using devices too old to run iOS 11, it's in their best interest to upgrade, but again, that's not on Apple.

Apple has made their support timelines very clear and supports their phones much longer than other manufacturers.

How many brand new Android phones out there sitting on shelves still waiting to be sold will never receive a patch for KRACK? Far too many.
    10-31-17 02:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    The horse twitched! Shoot it again!
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    10-31-17 02:34 PM

How many 4-year-old Android phones are still getting security updates, let alone major OS updates?

If iPhone or iPad users are running an older version of iOS on a device that supports iOS 11, that's on them, not Apple.

If iPhone or iPad users are using devices too old to run iOS 11, it's in their best interest to upgrade, but again, that's not on Apple.

Apple has made their support timelines very clear and supports their phones much longer than other manufacturers.

How many brand new Android phones out there sitting on shelves still waiting to be sold will never receive a patch for KRACK? Far too many.
    What? You're saying it's ok for Apple to not support my iPad mini or iPhone 5? I paid good money for these.... Seriously, you think it's ok. I'm getting a playbook and 9900.........
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    10-31-17 02:37 PM
    What? You're saying it's ok for Apple to not support my iPad mini or iPhone 5? I paid good money for these.... Seriously, you think it's ok. I'm getting a playbook and 9900.........
    I think you just broke my Sarcasm-o-Meter. Hahaha!
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-31-17 02:56 PM
    It would be a good idea for Apple to also patch iOS10. If no other reason, as a hedge against someone actually exploiting this vulnerability in the wild.

If someone loses data on iOS9, then that’s their own darn fault.

Of course I doubt there will be many real users affected by KRACK. It’s just too hard to do for too little reward.
    10-31-17 03:02 PM
    It would be a good idea for Apple to also patch iOS10. If no other reason, as a hedge against someone actually exploiting this vulnerability in the wild.

Of course I doubt there will be many real users affected by KRACK. It’s just too hard to do for too little reward.
    Apple did patch previous versions of MacOS, so it's certainly feasible for them to patch iOS 10. But I don't think it's necessary.
    10-31-17 03:37 PM

What? My iPhone 5 has IOS 10 but my iPad mini is stuck on IOS 9. This is PlayBook all over again.......... ;-(/

PS wait, I never bought the PlayBook..... Still ranting though.......
    10-31-17 03:38 PM
    What? My iPhone 5 has IOS 10 but my iPad mini is stuck on IOS 9. This is PlayBook all over again.......... ;-(/

PS wait, I never bought the PlayBook..... Still ranting though.......
    Love my playbook they should be patching it soon. :x

With Android O and an upgraded processor, virtually!

10-31-17 04:24 PM
    Love my playbook they should be patching it soon. :x

With Android O and an upgraded processor, virtually!

Because of the additional time it takes for hardening BBAndroid, it will be with O but when P is released. Since this involves the PlayBook, Chen has codenamed this OPP. Well anyway y'all know me...
    10-31-17 04:34 PM
    A few weeks ago really and it's already overtaken iOS 10 installs.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/12...rtakes-ios-10/

iOS users tend to upgrade to the latest releases pretty quickly so I suspect Apple doesn't see the point in releasing a patch for 10.x when most of their customers will likely end up on iOS 11 in a few months anyway.
    10-31-17 05:14 PM

I guess I'm just spoiled having been used to Windows OSes getting 10 years' support from Microsoft. Four years doesn't seem that long, if you've purchased an iPhone 5 at launch for full price.
    10-31-17 07:24 PM
    Because of the additional time it takes for hardening BBAndroid, it will be with O but when P is released. Since this involves the PlayBook, Chen has codenamed this OPP. Well anyway y'all know me...
    LMAO..

Can somebody please rename this thread ios on Krack.

I kid, I Kid..

10-31-17 08:14 PM
    I guess I'm just spoiled having been used to Windows OSes getting 10 years' support from Microsoft. Four years doesn't seem that long, if you've purchased an iPhone 5 at launch for full price.
    The iPhone 5S was released 4 years ago and just got the iOS 11 update, which means it will be supported for a total of at least 5 years. For a smartphone that’s an eternity.
    10-31-17 08:17 PM
    Development in mobile over the last 10 years has totally eclipsed PCs.

A better comparison would be Microsoft’s of their *mobile* OSes over these past years.
    10-31-17 08:25 PM
    The iPhone 5S was released 4 years ago and just got the iOS 11 update, which means it will be supported for a total of at least 5 years. For a smartphone that’s an eternity.
    My wife had the 4S and it was supported for five years as well. Mind you, you really don't want the last updates, since they slow your phone down a lot, but at least they provide the updates....

Now that I've said that, it occurs to me that the z10 and Q10 were 2013 phones, and just got a minor update. Nothing like the same level of ongoing functionality, and you had to install manually (Sachesi, autoloader), but an update nonetheless.
    Posted via CB10
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    10-31-17 09:36 PM
    Naw you got it all wrong, the OPP in BlackBerry's backyard of Ontario doesn't investigate Google/Android's seemingly monopolistic practices (Ontario Provincial Police), that's the Competition Bureau's job....and Android P was supposed to be the first non-sugar snack, and stand for Plagarize. You know what you do, when you've been fed a terrible diabetic diet for years and go through successively short cycle highs and lows ... and you know, copy the vitamin BB10 complex of goodies....but hey maybe it might still be around...so we'll see how those plans play out, or if it just throws a fork in the machinery.
    11-01-17 03:18 AM
    I have to say that, when I found out my iPad 3rd generation, which still runs perfectly well on iOS 9.x, and is used by my daughter for schoolwork, wouldn't get a patch for the KRACK vulnerability, I was ticked off. There is nothing wrong with the device, except that it is more than 5 years old.

I don't want or expect Apple to upgrade or provide additional features for my old iPad, but providing an emergency security patch for an extreme vulnerability isn't an unreasonable expectation for consumer electronics. Manufacturers love the planned obsolescence model, but it just leads to enormous financial and environmental waste.

I'm pretty sure that Apple won't do anything about this, but I've learned my lesson. If manufacturers see their devices as disposable, then I will only pay "disposable" prices for them. In the future, I won't spend more than $150 for a tablet. That way, when support stops, I won't feel like I've been ripped off.
    11-01-17 09:58 AM
    I have to say that, when I found out my iPad 3rd generation, which still runs perfectly well on iOS 9.x, and is used by my daughter for schoolwork, wouldn't get a patch for the KRACK vulnerability, I was ticked off. There is nothing wrong with the device, except that it is more than 5 years old.

I don't want or expect Apple to upgrade or provide additional features for my old iPad, but providing an emergency security patch for an extreme vulnerability isn't an unreasonable expectation for consumer electronics. Manufacturers love the planned obsolescence model, but it just leads to enormous financial and environmental waste.

I'm pretty sure that Apple won't do anything about this, but I've learned my lesson. If manufacturers see their devices as disposable, then I will only pay "disposable" prices for them. In the future, I won't spend more than $150 for a tablet. That way, when support stops, I won't feel like I've been ripped off.
    Agreed. I have three iPad minis and one iPad mini 2. None are or will be protected. iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 are protected with IOS 11. The iPhone 5 is not protected. It will be replaced by iPhone 8 as middle school graduation present so that was already happening. Four tablets will not be replaced by me. Schools that my kids attend require technology as part of cost so they'll only have those now to use.

Not Apple's best moments in my family. I didn't buy the Apple tablets. My girls won them in competitions so it's not huge loss. I paid to upgrade two from wifi only to mobile data version. That cost me $300 and that was 3-4 years ago.

At least this confirms my belief that all tech is more disposable than ever. The less you pay upfront, the better.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    11-01-17 11:23 AM
423 ... 1011121314 ...