Hello everyone !

You might have seen that, when a friend using an Android device send you an emoji (or smiley, or emoticon), you can receive them, even though you cannot send them the same emoji. For this example, I will use the emoji of a heart with a ribbon on it :
    [Kinda How-To] Native emoji possible on Blackberry OS 10 !-16cdd9d0ba3a115dbc8784488b20a329.png

But if your friend can send it to you, and if you can see it, it means that this emoji is effectively inside your phone. You can even copy the emoji from the message your friend sent and send it back, it works. You can't just access it with your list of emojis (in particular on BlackBerrys with keyboard )

I finally found a way to display these emoji. I will warn you, it is not practical and you will need to learn two or three words in Japanese.

1. Go in your Parameters, then in Language and Input, then in Input Language. Here, using the button at the bottom, "Add-Remove Language", select "日本語" which means Japanese. Save (top-right corner), then close.

Now, you have the Japanese keyboard enabled on your BlackBerry device. If your device has a physical keyboard, you can change the keyboard language by pressing ALT + ENTER.

[Kinda How-To] Native emoji possible on Blackberry OS 10 !-img_20160516_111148.png
    2. Go into your Hub, then begin an SMS. Switch your keyboard to Japanese with ALT + ENTER. Now, your keyboard will type Japanese characters associated with the phonetics, or kana, in Japanese. For example, typing "T" then "A" will display the kana sounding "TA", which is た or タ. In the screen capture below, I typed "neko" (which means "cat").

[Kinda How-To] Native emoji possible on Blackberry OS 10 !-img_20160516_110959.png
    3. Here you will need some knowledge. In the Japanese keyboard, the predictive typing system will show you emojis of what you type. For example, by typing "hato" (it means "shape of a heart") on your keyboard, you will display at first the phonetic kana はと, but the predictive typing system will present you other ways of saying "hato"... including emojis. You can expand it with the little arrow on the bottom-right corner. By selecting an emoji in the list, it will be displayed with colours in your text input field.

[Kinda How-To] Native emoji possible on Blackberry OS 10 !-img_20160516_111124.png

Here it is ! You can finally display a lot of emoji ! However, to do this... you will need to know how it is called in Japanese. You can also try typing "hoshi", which means star : you will see other emoji with stars on it. You can also try "neko" (cat), "inu" (dog), "kao" (face)...
    4. Now, you can go back to Parameters, then in Language and Input, then in Prediction and Correction, then in Word Substitution. Now, you can add your own substitution. So, you can map some "Latin characters" to a "Japanese Emoji", for example, you can tell your BlackBerry to replace the expression "h_ribbon" to the very emoji we saw earlier. Just switch your keyboard to English (or whatever your language is) in the first text field, then Japanese in the second.

[Kinda How-To] Native emoji possible on Blackberry OS 10 !-img_20160516_111159.png

Voil ! Now you can access on your own the emojis inside the BlackBerry OS.

Finally, if some powerful hacker thinks he/she would be able to do an OS Patch to display these emoji in the classic smileys list, that would be incredible, but I doubt it would even be possible Have fun with emojis (and Japanese language )
    Last edited by yatto; 05-16-16 at 06:04 AM.
    gugomat likes this.
    05-16-16 05:24 AM
    What a lot of time that would waste in the run of one email or text message! Simple is better. ;-)

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    05-16-16 06:34 AM
    That's kinda cute.
    Although I don't use emojis but thanks for the heads up.
    05-16-16 07:38 AM
    Open Native Twitter app, open Compose Tweet screen, open Emoji drawer.

Copy+paste any of the Emoji you really need. (Copy+paste to Word substitution list for shortcuts if you often use them.)

BlackBerry 10, CB10 signed.
    05-16-16 10:09 AM
    There is a simple solution. Unicode has support for many emojis, so you could just make a list for the ones you want. Similar to his method for keyboard shortcuts, but no need to do japanese.

http://www.fileformat.info/info/emoji/list.htm
    http://www.marathon-studios.com/unic...o/Other_Symbol

[edit, accidentally sent]
    Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 10:29 AM
    Like MrGlenn said that one is available in the Text Twist App, so it's easier to pay 1-2 dollars for the app and copy / paste. But an interesting work around.
    [Kinda How-To] Native emoji possible on Blackberry OS 10 !-img_20160516_163231.png
    05-16-16 10:36 AM
    I didn't say Text Twist...

The native official Twitter application has had an Emoji picker for quite a while now, for free. No need for third party apps.
    And of course copy+pasting from any website listing emojis works as well.

gugomat likes this.
    05-16-16 12:14 PM
    I didn't say Text Twist...

The native official Twitter application has had an Emoji picker for quite a while now, for free. No need for third party apps.
    And of course copy+pasting from any website listing emojis works as well.

Oops, Text Twist used to be called something else so I thought you were referring to that. Twitter was one of the Apps I deleted on the first day so not even thinking about it. Lol
    05-16-16 12:42 PM
    If its there in the OS, BlackBerry should just make it available on stock keyboard...oh wait, that would means billions of money to spend!

Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 10:07 PM