I know here all of our BIS plans are unlimited on-device browsing and anything that runs through BIS such as BBM voice, IM+ Skype Voice, etc are also free and unlimited.

So now I'm going to chew through my 1GB cap easily like when I upload a good couple hundred 5MB photos to Facebook which is normally free on BIS as its under the 8MB limit.

We don't pay a cent for BIS, its included in plans and prepaid at no extra cost.

Thanks BlackBerry. You're also going to lose a lot of third world customers as BIS is the rage there as its cheap and normally unlimited for a fixed fee.
    02-02-13 12:57 PM
    02-02-13 01:07 PM
    No, "dedicated BlackBerry Plans" still works. There's NO BIS anymore with BB10.
    02-02-13 01:15 PM
    Change can be hard but change needs to happen. Mabey down the line something better than BIS will be developed, you never know. In the mean time rent a movie once a month from BB World to help offset the lost revenue
    xiaohuaxing and raremage like this.
    02-02-13 01:54 PM
    Change can be hard but change needs to happen. Mabey down the line something better than BIS will be developed, you never know. In the mean time rent a movie once a month from BB World to help offset the lost revenue
    And get robbed by data charges?
    SK122387 likes this.
    02-02-13 02:04 PM
    Does this mean we're going to lose the data compression we currently get with with a BB vs the iCrap or Android?
    02-02-13 02:06 PM
    Does this mean we're going to lose the data compression we currently get with with a BB vs the iCrap or Android?
    From what I have read, Yes. It is going to be a regular plan Just like Iphone and Android.
    02-02-13 02:09 PM
    So where is BBM, BBM Voice and BBM Video going to fall under this new system?
    02-02-13 02:11 PM
    Guess I might as well jump ship to Android then as none of the BB10 features are exactly enticing me. Losing data compression & unlimited data is just a lowblow and when skype and BBM features will chew through data like there's no tomorrow. The same as any app that streams through BIS which is currently free.
    02-02-13 02:16 PM
    Guess I might as well jump ship to Android then as none of the BB10 features are exactly enticing me. Losing data compression & unlimited data is just a lowblow and when skype and BBM features will chew through data like there's no tomorrow. The same as any app that streams through BIS which is currently free.
    If that platform better suits your needs, then that's where you should go. The thing is, you don't have to change your plan when upgrading phones. I didn't.. I actually just added more to it for just a little more money. Now maybe the carriers in Australia will say different but at least this can make you ask a question. If you already have unlimited data, compression should be a moot point.
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    02-02-13 03:31 PM
    I do not understand why they can not jsut offer BIS as an extra for people that really want it!
    Acumenight and CrackFachry like this.
    02-02-13 03:52 PM
    I guess I'm on the other side of the fence as I think this levels the playing field and actually makes the new phones more attractive since there is less hassle switching between phones (I switch between an Android phone and my 9900) and users wont have to pay an additional fee for what they may perceive is as no benefit (I don't pay a higher rate for a BB plan but some do). I think most cell phone users (not blackberry users mind you) don't care at all if their data is compressed or not. They only care about end results (performance) and at the end of the day, BIS affects performance as things just aren't as fast on Berry as they are on other platforms (I'm not talking about email delivery but speed for data consumption).

I admit though that depending on your location and data cap it may not be a good thing. Maybe if BB comes up with better tech that can deliver content faster but still compress it they can reintroduce it but that just may be unrealistic.
    habs_fan likes this.
    02-02-13 04:19 PM
    I do not understand why they can not jsut offer BIS as an extra for people that really want it!
    Here is my theory on the removal of BlackBerry Internet Service for BlackBerry 10 devices:
    1. The wireless carriers demanded an end to data compression because it cost them lost revenue.
    2. The BlackBerry development team could not integrate BlackBerry 10 devices into the BlackBerry Internet Service and quite possibly the BlackBerry Enterprise Service as evidenced by the completely new back-end server, BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, necessary to activate BlackBerry 10 devices.

With data compression I never came near the 1GB BES data plan limit despite receiving hundreds of emails each week as well as bridging the BlackBerry PlayBook for web browsing on the go.
    jilissb, Acumenight and Davidro1 like this.
    02-02-13 04:26 PM
    I care about data compression. I find the browser can be a prime data hog. On Android I can have Opera as my default browser, so it opens automatically from links. Opera may not be as fast as Dolphin but it offers data compression, and I'll take the tradeoff. I hope BB10 comes up with some similar option.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    02-02-13 04:28 PM
    Like many others.... I'm so confused by this. I am currently using a Nokia XpressMusic phone that is a few years old and I have never had a data plan with it. I just have a $40/month talk/text plan and use it to browse with Wi-Fi connections.

I have preordered the Z10 and will be picking it up on Tuesday from Rogers.I just came back from local Rogers store in Waterloo where I will be getting it. I didn't know if I needed a specific BB plan or if a regular data plan would be fine. The Rep specifically told me that I should get a BB plan since it will use the data compression and such. He switched me over to their $55/month plan that comes with 200mb of data (which he said would be more than enough with he compression as long as im not streaming movies or music).

My brother gets 6GB a month with Bell for 65 bucks so this plan seems like garbage in my opinion, especially if there is no data compression
    02-02-13 04:48 PM
    The thing I had always hated the most about Blackberry is BIs. Releasing PINs, can't use most data features on a non blackberry sim, nothing works over wifi, unless you're on the BIS network, etc.

The most consumer friendly thing blackberry has done in a long time is remove BIS. It's unfortunate that the minority (you) are so loud and obnoxious when it comes to something most of us are thankful for.
    02-02-13 04:59 PM
    Here is my theory on the removal of BlackBerry Internet Service for BlackBerry 10 devices:
    1. The wireless carriers demanded an end to data compression because it cost them lost revenue.
    2. The BlackBerry development team could not integrate BlackBerry 10 devices into the BlackBerry Internet Service and quite possibly the BlackBerry Enterprise Service as evidenced by the completely new back-end server, BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, necessary to activate BlackBerry 10 devices.
    3. There was continuous whining and wingeing from users here in the forums that BIS compression reduced performance, and similar demands for ActiveSync to replace push email. The familiar cry then was "bandwidth is unlimited, we prefer using more data if it gets better performance". RIM listened to the users.

I guess they shot themselves in the foot. All I can say is "told ya so!"
    02-02-13 05:02 PM
    I was under the impression the carriers loved the data compression as it reduced the load on their networks.

I think #2 is more realistic. I remember something about a year ago along the lines of RIM being unable to get BIS to work with BB10.

I won't miss BIS one bit as I am planning on keeping my 9800.
    anon5645485 likes this.
    02-02-13 05:03 PM
    The thing I had always hated the most about Blackberry is BIs. Releasing PINs, can't use most data features on a non blackberry sim, nothing works over wifi, unless you're on the BIS network, etc.

The most consumer friendly thing blackberry has done in a long time is remove BIS. It's unfortunate that the minority (you) are so loud and obnoxious when it comes to something most of us are thankful for.
    No need to call people obnoxious. In many markets, having BIS has been a HUGE selling feature. And minority? You do realize that the emerging markets have the greatest marketshare for BB right? They're what's been keeping BB in business the last couple of years.

As with many things, different things for different people. You made your point in the first line, adding the second was uncalled for.
    02-02-13 05:05 PM
    He switched me over to their $55/month plan that comes with 200mb of data (which he said would be more than enough with he compression as long as im not streaming movies or music).

My brother gets 6GB a month with Bell for 65 bucks so this plan seems like garbage in my opinion, especially if there is no data compression
    I think you're getting ripped off.

My 6GB BlackBerry plan is $35/mo.

First off, why would you put a non BB SIM into a BB phone? I haven't removed my SIM card for two years. BIS was an awesome feature for the people who can see past Angry Birds and Instagram.
    Shane8750 and CrackFachry like this.
    02-02-13 05:07 PM
    Like many others.... I'm so confused by this. I am currently using a Nokia XpressMusic phone that is a few years old and I have never had a data plan with it. I just have a $40/month talk/text plan and use it to browse with Wi-Fi connections.

I have preordered the Z10 and will be picking it up on Tuesday from Rogers.I just came back from local Rogers store in Waterloo where I will be getting it. I didn't know if I needed a specific BB plan or if a regular data plan would be fine. The Rep specifically told me that I should get a BB plan since it will use the data compression and such. He switched me over to their $55/month plan that comes with 200mb of data (which he said would be more than enough with he compression as long as im not streaming movies or music).

i think they are going to love to see your data overage every month. 200 MBs is probably not going to be enough unless you have WIFI almost everywhere you are
    jakie55 likes this.
    02-02-13 06:13 PM
    3. There was continuous whining and wingeing from users here in the forums that BIS compression reduced performance, and similar demands for ActiveSync to replace push email. The familiar cry then was "bandwidth is unlimited, we prefer using more data if it gets better performance". RIM listened to the users.

I guess they shot themselves in the foot. All I can say is "told ya so!"
    While you certainly are allowed your opinion and who knows you may be 100% correct, myself I'll wait until it all flushes out in time to get a more official reason/s.

Having said that, there are pros/cons to this, I certainly would not frame it as a "I told you so" narrative.
    02-02-13 06:16 PM
    i think they are going to love to see your data overage every month. 200 MBs is probably not going to be enough unless you have WIFI almost everywhere you are
    Bell Mobility data usage calculator - see how much data you really need

Data calculator might help some find their needs.
    200MB's is not much , unless one plans to have their home wi-fi as the main data feed.
    Attached Thumbnails Killing off BIS SUCKS-img_00000529.jpg  
    02-02-13 06:33 PM
    Why offer it if the phone is not going to use it. It has been said many many times that pre BB10 devices will continue to require BIS, BB10 requires NO BIS. If you need BIS, remain on your pre BB10 device.
    02-02-13 06:42 PM
    Thanks guys! My home Wi-Fi will be by far my primary main feed as I'm not on my phone at all during a regular Mon-Fri work day (teaching..).... but I still don't think it will be enough and don't want to get hit with overage charges. Calling Rogers now to see what they can offer me. I've read a lot of posts lately from members receiving much better monthly prices.
    02-02-13 06:51 PM
356 123 ...