BB10 is architectured differently, and most people thought RIM would do this when the PlayBook doesn't really use the Blackberry infrastructure before. Data compression's nice, but old BIS was for a previous generation of mobile networks. Why do things need all have to route through the RIM NOC? A lot of features people complain about the BBOS like email attachment size restrictions, email being stripped of formatting, etc. is a result of BIS. Also, service outages like the massive one in November 2011 won't happen with BB10 anymore...and I think that's a good thing.

What will be interesting to see is what RIM does about emerging markets. Obviously, it now creates two market segments. If you want unlimited BBM plans, you will buy old BBOS phones. If you want the additional features of BB10, then you will need to pay for more data.
    bluetroll and jonno_atamaniuk like this.
    02-02-13 06:57 PM
    It most definitely sucks.

For those of use with POP3 email servers, this means a massive increase in data usage as well we are forced from an elegant PUSH email architecture to a horrid PULL architecture. Batter life will suck will all the polling as happened to iFans prior to having PUSH email.

As well, for those of us in Canada that travel a lot the roaming data charges will kill us if we use the network.

BIS was an awesome and elegant solution that allowed Canadians to roam in the US and barely use their data plans. BIS allowed us to download headers only and as well had great filtering features to completely avoid emails. I already try and disable data and use WiFi as much as I can but sometimes it is not available and thus BIS is a real money saver on data roaming charges. Especially when the big 3 change how they round up data usage while roaming. It won't take long to blow through a $100 plan and I barely would use a $25 all because of the awesomeness of BIS.

Losing BIS for some of us is a major loss. Even if my mail was IMAP/Exchange, it still wouldn't give me the same facilities as BIS to control what is sent to the phone and have choice to manually download only what I wanted to read. Frankly losing BIS definitely puts us on a level playing field and I for one hate that we have taken a fall down to the level and lost our elite status.

Based on comments on other posts I suspect I am in the minority and with the step backwards I might as well compare the competition as I personally have lost the key feature that has made me a BB fan since my first BB in 2004. I was hoping mail on the PB wasn't evidence of what was fully in store for us with BB10 but guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Who knows, more than likely I will stick with BB as I have always loved their technology and phones but it doesn't hurt now to look at the competition now that we have fallen down to their level.
    Last edited by BBJonbo; 02-03-13 at 01:56 PM.
    02-02-13 07:12 PM
    Here is my theory on the removal of BlackBerry Internet Service for BlackBerry 10 devices:
    1. The wireless carriers demanded an end to data compression because it cost them lost revenue.
    2. The BlackBerry development team could not integrate BlackBerry 10 devices into the BlackBerry Internet Service and quite possibly the BlackBerry Enterprise Service as evidenced by the completely new back-end server, BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, necessary to activate BlackBerry 10 devices.

With data compression I never came near the 1GB BES data plan limit despite receiving hundreds of emails each week as well as bridging the BlackBerry PlayBook for web browsing on the go.
    It will be interesting to see how my data use changes when I get a Z10. I never go through 500MB with my Torch.

Blackberry had no choice where the BIS service was concerned. Carriers demanded fees be cut with the new BB10 handsets, at least in North America and Europe. I'm sure we will hear more about this but at the end of the day I don't care as long as the phone works well and the BBM service rocks.
    02-02-13 07:20 PM
    Well put, BBJonbo.
    02-02-13 07:21 PM
    Bell Mobility data usage calculator - see how much data you really need

Data calculator might help some find their needs.
    200MB's is not much , unless one plans to have their home wi-fi as the main data feed.
    good chart but looks like they still have those numbers with compression on, not off
    pickles#WP likes this.
    02-02-13 07:22 PM
    good chart but looks like they still have those numbers with compression on, not off
    Nope.... I was just there.... BB10 and BB7 have different usage. BB10 is the same usage, according to their chart, as the others.
    TomJasper likes this.
    02-02-13 07:37 PM
    I don't think so? Try the drop box for different phones(I used the Blackberry10 from drop box), do a compare at full value on all the parameters given, I think you will find they are correct values.
    02-02-13 07:37 PM
    Just a crude little cut/paste job I did comparing the two.

This will be a big consumer of roaming charges if you use your email lots.

Killing off BIS SUCKS-comparo.jpg
    02-02-13 07:39 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comparo.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	133686
    Roaming charges? How so? Unless you're a traveller, I don't get it.
    02-02-13 07:42 PM
    hmm interesting. They are using a compression ratio of 10:1 for emails, i was thinking BB compression was around 4:1
    02-02-13 07:46 PM
    That's why one has to shop around for the best data plans, if one expects to use a lot of data.

Prices on data are all over the place between diff carriers, retention rates etc.

Perhaps Crackberry.com can do a sticky on best pricing, something like gas buddy, or check redflagdeals.com etc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comparo.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	133686
    Shanerredflag and pcguy514 like this.
    02-02-13 07:48 PM
    hmm interesting. They are using a compression ratio of 10:1 for emails, i was thinking BB compression was around 4:1
    Depending on the type of data. Emails, yes, web pages and messages, nope. Numbers are right there (sorry.... had to call you on that one )
    02-02-13 07:49 PM
    I would put it against another calculator to check, if there are more out there?? I have no idea how accurate that chart is,just the messenger.
    02-02-13 07:51 PM
    I get a ton more than 200 emails a month i know that for sure so i would blow thru 200 mbs a month in emails alone without touching the browser! lol
    02-02-13 07:57 PM
    I would presume as a Mod you would get most of them at home while hooked up to your home wi-fi?

I get a ton more than 200 emails a month i know that for sure so i would blow thru 200 mbs a month in emails alone without touching the browser! lol
    02-02-13 08:02 PM
    I'd suggest going to the page and seeing what they have. You can change the usage from monthly, to weekly, to daily. It's actually a better data usage calculator than I've seen on other sites
    02-02-13 08:09 PM
    I think that chart has 200 per week.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-02-13 08:10 PM
    I would presume as a Mod you would get most of them at home while hooked up to your home wi-fi?
    those are small in comparision in work emails that have docs with them and such. I got 3 email accounts that i have on the phone that average 70-80 emails a day probably
    02-02-13 08:11 PM
    I think that chart has 200 per week.
    i know, 1 was a monthly chart and one was weekly.
    02-02-13 08:12 PM
    those are small in comparision in work emails that have docs with them and such. I got 3 email accounts that i have on the phone that average 70-80 emails a day probably
    Well then, this plan seems reasonable. http://deals.t-mobile.com/unlimited-data-plan One could dump their cable tv with this plan, run hdmi out to tv, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Killing off BIS SUCKS-img_00000530.jpg  
    02-02-13 08:16 PM
    Wow, this is kind of a bummer. I was hoping to use mine for work and play. I get way too many work emails, not gonna let my job cost me money lol.Looks like work stays at work
    02-02-13 08:19 PM
    Well then, this plan seems reasonable. Unlimited Data | Our New Unlimited Data Plan | T-Mobile One could dump their cable tv with this plan, run hdmi out to tv, etc.
    i already have tmob unlimited for $30 a month or att umlimited for $40
    02-02-13 08:25 PM
    That is exactly what I have been telling people. No more land line , cable, or internet. Falls on deaf ears , for now

Well then, this plan seems reasonable. Unlimited Data | Our New Unlimited Data Plan | T-Mobile One could dump their cable tv with this plan, run hdmi out to tv, etc.
    TomJasper likes this.
    02-02-13 08:28 PM
    Well I'm on Sprint right now and in the US so it looks like I have awhile to start looking at plans and rates. But those look really good.
    02-02-13 08:28 PM
    Wow that's dirt cheap, must be grand fathered in obviously.

02-02-13 08:29 PM
356 1234 ...