I am under the impression that when I kill the Android runtime (by going to BBWorld » My World» My Apps & Games » Installed, open up Blackberry Runtime for Android and then close the application),I actually run my BlackBerry device as if no Android process is running, hence improving battery time. Am I correct?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 12:54 PM
    Incorrect. You cannot stop it.

Posted via CB10
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-17-17 01:05 PM
    You have actually few apps constant running in background that are android process, but their not have so much impact on battery. You will see battery drainage only if you use it.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 01:36 PM
    You have actually few apps constant running in background that are android process, but their not have so much impact on battery. You will see battery drainage only if you use it.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly! In fact, with no Android apps running (currently), I only see Android Media Apps using <0.1% battery and Android Player 0.18% (checked using Device Monitor). That's very little battery usage.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    03-18-17 12:49 AM
    You are right! I have been doing that and I checked numerous times in device manager and both android processes are idling after that. It stays like that until you restart.
    You can see in the CPU usage section.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic SQC100-1 on BB 10.3.3.2163
    03-18-17 02:16 AM
    Thanks guys. Looks like a good approach to balance battery against using some Google apps sometimes when there is no alternative available.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-17 03:21 AM
    What's likely happening is you're crashing the runtime. A better solution would be to simply minimize your Android app to an active frame and then close it from Device monitor, that way it'll stay closed until you reopen it.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-18-17 04:51 PM
    What's likely happening is you're crashing the runtime. A better solution would be to simply minimize your Android app to an active frame and then close it from Device monitor, that way it'll stay closed until you reopen it.
    It does crash the ART but that's the point if you don't use any apk, this way it stays idle no matter what and as I noticed it does impact a battery life a bit. No problems whatsoever in other aspects of OS function that I can see...

03-18-17 05:48 PM
    No matter what Android app I use, closing the active frame ensures it'll stay closed until I reopen it. No need to use Device Monitor.

03-19-17 12:52 AM
    No matter what Android app I use, closing the active frame ensures it'll stay closed until I reopen it. No need to use Device Monitor.

No. Download Advance task killer from Google play store. After that go in any android app, close it like you say and go into Advance task killer app. You will see almost all android apps are running, but not as they would run if you use it but as idle in standby. That's why you seem to open some app very fast even if it's closed

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 12:16 PM

Android apps can still run services even if the active frame is closed which can cause performance problems and excess battery drain. On an actual Android device apps like Greenify can prevent this but on BB10 the best solution is to close the app via Device monitor.
    03-19-17 12:27 PM
    As the one starting the thread I am trying to get my head around the replies. I am under the assumption that if you kill the Android runtime any Android app relying on that runtime is also killed with it. So to me it still looks like the most effective way to ensure no Android app is eating battery.
    The UI also proves it somehow. Starting an Android app after killing the runtime gives you a screen with some sort of a green progress bar indicating the runtime needs to be initialized before the Android app you're starting is able to run.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 12:39 PM
    Use ghost commander to kill them. It will help, although it is a controversial subject.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 12:52 PM
    Android apps can still run services even if the active frame is closed which can cause performance problems and excess battery drain. On an actual Android device apps like Greenify can prevent this but on BB10 the best solution is to close the app via Device monitor.
    I don't see any of my Android apps showing up in Device Monitor after I've closed the active frame. So it may very well be true for some apps but not for the ones I use.
    03-19-17 12:56 PM
    No. Download Advance task killer from Google play store. After that go in any android app, close it like you say and go into Advance task killer app. You will see almost all android apps are running, but not as they would run if you use it but as idle in standby. That's why you seem to open some app very fast even if it's closed

Posted via CB10
    I've downloaded a few apps similar to Advanced Task Killer recently, including Ghost Commander, and none of my Android apps showed up as still running. After closing them, they all take a long time to open up again so obviously those task apps aren't lying. So while what you say may be true for some apps, it apparently doesn't apply to all apps.

(for the record: the only app that keeps running on my device after I've closed the active frame is Microsoft Groove, but deleting the persistent notification in the Hub followed by clicking on Close closes the app)
    03-19-17 12:57 PM
    As the one starting the thread I am trying to get my head around the replies. I am under the assumption that if you kill the Android runtime any Android app relying on that runtime is also killed with it. So to me it still looks like the most effective way to ensure no Android app is eating battery.
    The UI also proves it somehow. Starting an Android app after killing the runtime gives you a screen with some sort of a green progress bar indicating the runtime needs to be initialized before the Android app you're starting is able to run.

Posted via CB10
    If the runtime crashes it'll crash all running Android apps as well but I don't know what other problems (if any at all) it can cause.
    03-19-17 12:58 PM
    I've downloaded a few apps similar to Advanced Task Killer recently and none of my Android apps showed up as still running. So while what you say may be true for some apps, it apparently doesn't apply to all apps.
    They will show up in Ghost Commander. Android apps don't show up in device monitor.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/78977

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 12:58 PM
    Killing Android Runtime question-img_20170319_190259.png

Killing Android Runtime question-img_20170319_190303.png

Before and after closing and after killing it in task killer. After 5 min, same again. They need resources to work, to get notification, to get multitasking...

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 03:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!
    Just note that you'll be able to do that trick (opening in BBW so the ART would crash), only on 10.3.2. Or if you update to 10.3.3. OTA. When you do a clean install of 10.3.3. Autolader way you'll se that ART as an installable option not as an app you can open. You could install it again since is the same version but you risk damaging your ART. If you don't use apks at all, then it's the way to go and you can also uninstall android.shell via Sachesi or DBBT and break the ART so no apks could run or install...

Last edited by hazmaju; 03-19-17 at 03:57 PM.
    03-19-17 03:47 PM
    Android apps do not run in the background on BB10. Period. It is a technical impossibility. The BlackBerry dev blog and Cobalt have confirmed this.

Using a device manager simply wakes the Android services. Closing the device monitor, will once again suspend the services from running.

Only headless apps on BB10 can run in the background.
    03-19-17 04:44 PM
    Android apps do not run in the background on BB10. Period. It is a technical impossibility. The BlackBerry dev blog and Cobalt have confirmed this.

Using a device manager simply wakes the Android services. Closing the device monitor, will once again suspend the services from running.

Only headless apps on BB10 can run in the background.
    Android apps can run background services on BB10 if the screen is on or the app has partial wake lock access, there's a thread on the developer forums about this with input from BlackBerry's runtime devs.

https://supportforums.blackberry.com...ff/m-p/2626669
    03-19-17 06:34 PM
    Android apps can run background services on BB10 if the screen is on or the app has partial wake lock access, there's a thread on the developer forums about this with input from BlackBerry's runtime devs.

https://supportforums.blackberry.com...ff/m-p/2626669
    That is consistent with my experience and Android apps that I have closed but killed my battery and showed up in Ghost Commander as still active.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 08:20 PM
    So why is my experience so different then?

03-20-17 12:53 AM
    So why is my experience so different then?

The Android apps you use likely aren't using those permissions/features.
    hazmaju likes this.
    03-20-17 09:36 AM
    The Android apps you use likely aren't using those permissions/features.
    Wrong. Microsoft Groove is (and I'm sure a few other apps are as well). Yet it really gets killed after closing it.

03-21-17 12:55 AM
31 12