06-06-15 08:38 AM
527 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Are you sure this applies to all videos and video services, not just specifically to youtube?

And why would I want a video to pause just because I moved away from it for a second? What if I'm listening to a song on youtube, but I decide to look something up on amazon. Why would I want it to pause just because I opened a new tab?
    Because people usually watch videos. You can't watch a video while it is in the background. So it makes more sense to pause the video first and let the user decide if they want to unpause it or not. That is a better implementation than BlackBerry's in my opinion.

BlackBerry fans would flip out if BlackBerry 10 could do that. Why wouldnt you want play and pause buttons for a youtube video in the media control panel? I think it would come in useful.
    12-27-13 09:36 PM
    Couple points. BlackBerry's "priority hub" is more feature rich than VIP mailbox.

On Verizon, iPhone is the only LTE phone that is NOT capable of simultaneous voice and data.
    12-27-13 09:41 PM
    Because people usually watch videos. You can't watch a video while it is in the background. So it makes more sense to pause the video first and let the user decide if they want to unpause it or not. That is a better implementation than BlackBerry's in my opinion.

BlackBerry fans would flip out if BlackBerry 10 could do that. Why wouldnt you want play and pause buttons for a youtube video in the media control panel? I think it would come in useful.
    Your logic is absolutely killing me. If I'm watching a video, then I'm watching a video. Why in the world do I need the music to stop if I leave the app? If I need to pause the video while I'm watching it, wouldn't I just pause it right there?

Maybe we should agree to disagree with the implimentation here, but it's pretty simple to me if I'm watching a video and I need to pause it, I pause it while I'm there. I don't want my system doing it because I may want to continue listening and don't want to go back to restart it.
    12-27-13 09:50 PM
    Funny, after years of seein "BlackBerry 10/PlayBook can run youtube videos in the background and iOS can't", I'll now see "iOS has to unpause the video first!!!".
    12-27-13 10:02 PM
    :x.....ok then
    12-27-13 10:18 PM
    You all missed the best killer feature!

Being unique!

Nowadays all are anxious and follow the sheep herd. I never thought one day, that most people are sticking out their iPhones on a table! Wow, how unique! Why don't these kind of sheeple wear the same clothes and drive the same car with the same color????

Sorry, but I am very proud of owning a BlackBerry! Showing what I think of conformity or being a sheep!

Be unique!
    It's ironic. Hipsters are against everything mainstream and conformity, yet they all have iphones...

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 10:23 PM
    While at the hospital waiting for the Doc...my 4 year old wanted to play Spiderman on my Q10. He played, I pulled out my Playbook, "bridged" it to my Q10 and send a text to my wife at home updating her. My colleague sent me a BBM and I quickly replied, all the while I never had to touch my Q10 which my son happily was playing Spiderman uninterrupted. This continued even inside the vehicle which my Q10 automatically paired with the Bluetooth speaker to receive an incoming call. The power of QNX (Blackberry 10) and that is just the tip of the iceberg.
    jrohland and miker476 like this.
    12-27-13 11:40 PM
    This is slightly off topic but, CDMA was only used by Sprint and Verizon in the states. I think a Japanese carrier used it also. Maybe a few other markets. Everywhere else was GSM and then HSPA. Now, most established market countries are on or going to LTE. If you had a GSM/HSPA phone, you have ALWAYS been able to talk and use data at the same time. Sprint and Verizon are mostly off CDMA now so the simultaneous use of voice and data is supported.

There are still many, many iPhones in the world that don't do LTE. For those iPhones on Verizon (without LTE), they cannot do voice and data together. This is also true of older BlackBerrys, Androids, etc... If they don't do LTE and are on Verizon (or Sprint) they will be restricted to voice or data (unless they have Wi-Fi which allows data with voice).

Does that clear it up? Wait, but I'm in Canada and my iPhone has always been able to do voice and data. Yep. That's because Canada has ALWAYS been GSM/HSPA/LTE.
    Umm... I hate to burst your bubble, but up until about 5 years ago give or take, Both Bell/Aliant and Telus exclusively ran CDMA / Ev-DO networks, along with MTS, Sasktel, and TBay Telecom. CDMA is also used fairly extensively within China if I recall correctly (I could be slightly wrong there) and a handful of other countries. Not to the same vast extent as GSM / GPRS / EDGE / UMTS / HSPA, but it still is in use.

What the person who originally brought up the whole thing about simultaneous Voice and Data was meaning was that in places where Verizon and Sprint offer LTE data, one COULD place a voice call and at the same time use their data services on anything BUT the iPhone. This was and is because the LTE antenna is separate from the CDMA antenna in all Android, Windows Phone, and BlackBerry devices. A VERY wise move on their part simply to make simultaneous Voice and Data transmission possible on the networks of Verizon and Sprint.

The iPhone, on the other hand, at least for certain for the iPhone 5 (I hope they changed it for the 5c and 5s but I did not catch anything in the keynote) only uses the one antenna around the edge of the phone, meaning that simultaneous Voice and Data transmission was and is not possible for these phones on Verizon or Sprint unless one is on WiFi or roaming abroad on a UMTS/HSPA network.

If Telus, Bell, Sasktel, MTS, TBay Telecom, and any others hadn't made the choice to turn on UMTS/HSPA networks on their path to LTE as opposed to simply taking the Verizon route and just deploying LTE on its own without any underlying GSM-evolved network beneath it, we would be in the EXACT same position here in Canada as they are in the USA with Sprint and Verizon when it comes to the simultaneous voice and data problem.

.... sorry just my two cents there, sorry it was off topic.

As for on topic, for me personally, my "killer features" are surprisingly simple. I really like the external media controls without having to have headphones plugged in (if iOS has this, I have not seen the feature at all, and even Android OEMs seems to miss this feature). I LOVE the on-screen keyboard. Swiftkey, the underlying groundwork within it, is great on Android and easily the best Android keyboard I have ever used... but this is even better. Quick one-handed typing on my Z30's 5" screen is surprisingly easy. The entire Hub / Peek system is for me personally the best way to keep on top of my messages. I'm at work, I may not have time to go through all my notifications and read everything, or go in and out of each app for my notifications, but peeking to the side to see a preview is helpful for me when keeping in touch during a busy day. I look at it a lot like Microsoft's glance and go thing. I'm not staring at my phone to go through everything, I glance, make sure everything's good, I keep going and can still reply on the go quickly, easily, and PRIVATELY (while dictation's there, I still don't see too many people using Siri in public to send and receive text messages). I've actually used NFC a couple times to make small payments on my Tims card (one of my iPhone friends was all excited about the Tims app update... until I told her that her iPhone couldn't do it because Apple continued to hold off from implementing any form of NFC). When my carrier of choice jumps on board for mobile payments, I'll be using my phone to do more payments in more places. This is something that iPhone cannot do without a special case or anything of the like.

I know this is not THE killer functions list, but it's a list of some things that currently make me a very happy BlackBerry Z30 owner. Everyone will have their own things, and there are iOS users who are very happy with their iPhones and I'm very happy for them. There are Windows Phone users who are incredibly happy with their devices, and I'm happy for them too. There are Android users out there who are happy with their Android phones.... and sometimes try to say their device is superior in all ways... but I'm happy they love their devices anyway! My point is we use what works for our particular needs. I sell based on what a client needs in a phone, not based on what I happen to use or personally prefer. What I prefer may not suit their needs.

... end rant / 2 cents worth.
    jrohland likes this.
    12-28-13 12:33 AM
    While at the hospital waiting for the Doc...my 4 year old wanted to play Spiderman on my Q10. He played, I pulled out my Playbook, "bridged" it to my Q10 and send a text to my wife at home updating her. My colleague sent me a BBM and I quickly replied, all the while I never had to touch my Q10 which my son happily was playing Spiderman uninterrupted. This continued even inside the vehicle which my Q10 automatically paired with the Bluetooth speaker to receive an incoming call. The power of QNX (Blackberry 10) and that is just the tip of the iceberg.
    I used Miracast over the holidays to stream Christmas music and run a Fireplace app to my TV. However, I wanted to still keep up the BBM conversations I had going on with friends. Like you, I Bridged to my PlayBook and did BBM there. To be honest, all this radio activity did strain the Z30. It would have been better to use HDMI but I forgot my HDMI cable at work.
    12-28-13 12:48 AM
    I used Miracast over the holidays to stream Christmas music and run a Fireplace app to my TV. However, I wanted to still keep up the BBM conversations I had going on with friends. Like you, I Bridged to my PlayBook and did BBM there. To be honest, all this radio activity did strain the Z30. It would have been better to use HDMI but I forgot my HDMI cable at work.
    See, this is stuff I would love to learn how to do and do well. I hope to eventually find something that will let me do even Micro HDMI to RCA as most of the TV's I come in contact with personally don't have HDMI in options (I still have an old Tube style at home). Ah well, eventually. But glad to see some inventive uses of the BlackBerry.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    12-28-13 01:15 AM
    See, this is stuff I would love to learn how to do and do well. I hope to eventually find something that will let me do even Micro HDMI to RCA as most of the TV's I come in contact with personally don't have HDMI in options (I still have an old Tube style at home). Ah well, eventually. But glad to see some inventive uses of the BlackBerry.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    You won't be able to. It may be possible to find an HDMI to composite video converter but you would hate the results. It's about screen resolution. Composite video is low resolution while the output from the BB10 phone is high definition. Trying to display the number of pixels the BlackBerry puts out on a low resolution TV is going to be unviewable. Sorry, if you want to do what I did, you need a high definition 16x9 TV. It will need at least one HDMI input and you will need a Miracast receiver.

I just did a quick search on Amazon for HDMI to composite. They all work the wrong way for you. Those are called an upscaler. They take composite out, like from an old DVD or video cassette player and allow them to be viewed on an HD TV. You are looking for a downscaler. I'm not sure there is such a thing.
    12-28-13 01:57 AM
    The browser lags when you scroll. It's not as bad as android but it definitely isn't a silky smooth 60 FPS the way iOS browsers and WP8's IE manage. Functionally it's pretty good but I crave the perfect smooth scrolling you can see for example in bb10's settings app. I also want it to have text reflow. I can get it through android browsers but those are obviously even more laggy.
    What OS version are you on? I've never seen a lag when scrolling on my Q10. Not even when it was running 10.0 and 10.1.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 05:03 AM

First, I want to clarify something: when you build a BlackBerry 10 you can specify if you want the app to pause when it is minimised or during a peek gesture, so this functionality is not a bug or a missing feature. The way the browser behaves is intentional.

Secondly , if I want to pause a video I pause it before I minimise the app. Having to un-pause the video once I am on the homescreen from a hidden quick settings panel defeats the purpose of multitasking. It should be seamless. I don't want the OS to assume things for me, I am its master and I want to be in control. It should pause when I tell it to pause.

And thirdly, you don't seem to know what BlackBerry 10 can and can't do. Pressing one of the volume keys when playing a video in the browser will bring up a panel with play/pause buttons which allow you to control the video from anywhere (even from other apps).
    Attachment 234023
    jrohland likes this.
    12-28-13 05:22 AM
    Of course the kid hasn't used bb10 because according to him I'd flip... funny I've used ios7 and I didn't flip..

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 09:12 AM
    On an iPhone, you cannot tell when a photo was taken or whether it has been edited. There are no sequential file names for photos, so if the date of the photo is required, you have to wait until you download the photo to your desktop to find the information. This is not so much a killer BlackBerry feature as it is an iPhone deal breaker.

Also, I've never seen an iPhone user be able to save a document and read it later without opening the email that had that document attached. The latter might be possible, but not a single iPhone user I know has figured out how to do it.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 10:26 AM
    On an iPhone, you cannot tell when a photo was taken or whether it has been edited. There are no sequential file names for photos, so if the date of the photo is required, you have to wait until you download the photo to your desktop to find the information. This is not so much a killer BlackBerry feature as it is an iPhone deal breaker.

Also, I've never seen an iPhone user be able to save a document and read it later without opening the email that had that document attached. The latter might be possible, but not a single iPhone user I know has figured out how to do it.

Posted via CB10
    The title of the thread is killer features. Certainly you can open an email attachment on an iPhone in say, Pages, or iAnnotate or other things depending on the format of the original document and then reopen it in that app. But even if you had to reopen the email it isn't a killer feature to not have to do that.
    12-28-13 10:42 AM
    How about showing them the ability to play a YouTube video, while being able to use the browser or send an email.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 11:28 AM
    How about showing them the ability to play a YouTube video, while being able to use the browser or send an email.

Posted via CB10
    Because who does that?
    12-28-13 11:45 AM
    The hub

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 11:46 AM
    Because who does that?
    Many people who want to continue listening to a song or other type of video (an interview or a stand up comedy show for example) while they reply to an email or read an article. I do this every day with my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 03:45 PM
    Many people who want to continue listening to a song or other type of video (an interview or a stand up comedy show for example) while they reply to an email or read an article. I do this every day with my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    I guess I don't get any emails I'm in that much in a hurry to answer.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 03:47 PM
    I guess I don't get any emails I'm in that much in a hurry to answer.

Posted via CB10
    Well maybe then you shouldn't have bought a smartphone. It's like buying a DSLR camera and then saying you don't need all those stupid features like being able to change the ISO, the aperture or the shutter speed.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 03:52 PM
    It appears ElGusta has ran away. I have an iPhone 5 and it is not up to the speed of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Sure looks that way! Hmmm...

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 03:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    I did more research and discovered that every current smartphone platform I could think to check has this ability. Users on Android, iOS, Windows Phone 8 and Jolla Sailfish can do this right now.

The playing of YouTube videos in the background while using the phone for other things isn't the magical feat some posters here make it out to be. Heck, WebOS and Meego could both do it before BlackBerry 10 even existed.
    12-28-13 04:03 PM
    Well maybe then you shouldn't have bought a smartphone. It's like buying a DSLR camera and then saying you don't need all those stupid features like being able to change the ISO, the aperture or the shutter speed.

Posted via CB10
    Well no it isn't. I said that much of a hurry. And I travel a lot so it is very useful without letting email control my life. Very few emails can't be answered in 5 minutes or whatever it takes to finish a video on you tube. As for DSLRs I even insist on manual over ride on my point and shoot camera and found that manual focus and spot metering was critical in some situations, like being able to capture an animal in the shadows in the bush in Zambia with a 300 m telephoto but not so much out on a bright street. And knowing the difference is important.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:09 PM
527 ... 56789 ...