I use Evernote a lot and it is quite different than Omnifocus. And the fact that Remember is in the OS is really not accurate. It is an app that comes with BB10. That is no different than having an Evernote app in iOS or Android, except that both the Android and iOS Evernote apps have a lot more features than the Remember app.
    Umm, no. It is part of the OS, just like the Browser or the Calendar app. You can't uninstall it or find it in the BlackBerry World store.

Regarding Evernote, what exactly is different when you compare it to Omnifocus? I really want to know. Also, you said Evernote has more features than Remember? Can you please give us some examples? The only one I can think of is text formatting.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 11:37 AM
    As a person who has and continues to carry two devices on different platforms this is an interesting issue to me. This does also happen to highlight the basic advantages of each platform.

1. Apples's advantage: apps (like Omnifocus). By the way, I'm not sure Omnifocus has tight integration with a calendar, but it is an elegant, if not complicated, task management app.

2. BlackBerry 's advantage: a highly functional OS off the shelf. I was impressed with Remember from the beginning though I still haven't figured out how best to use it, hence my question above.

A couple other observations about productivity, workflows, etc. My take is generally less is more, simple is better. I have wasted countless hours trying to figure out a workable workflow and information and task/productivity system and have reached the conclusion that most of the apps and processes actually cost time rather than save it. Having said that, if there is a way with one tool (smartphone) and not a lot of add-ons (apps) to get the job done, I want to know it and use it.

I think one way to get toward productivity is to get out of the inbox. The more time I spend in my email inbox, the less time I spend doing my work. I can't fathom it is any different for any professional person. Email is now, in a way, a necessary evil, so I must find a way to deal with that as well as somehow being productive.

My last observation has to do with how we accomplish productivity then outside the device. It can do a lot of things, can help us keep track of information, lists, pictures, whatever, but it can't do the work. And to be of primary benefit, it has to be able to share information outside the device (Outlook, Evernote, etc.). One of the reasons Apple has an advantage once we are outside the off the shelf functionality, is that the apps tend to work seamlessly across devices. So I pose that as the final question: given that reality, can my Q10 simply accomplish what it takes lots of apps on the Apple side to maintain productivity?

Posted via CB10
    I generally agree. I have used a variety of task management approaches over the years and have been using Omnifocus for the past few years and it comes closer than any I have found to the right balance of power/flexibility and ease of use.

Here is a link to another post describing more fully how I use Omnifocus:

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ml#post9733847

I tried Outlook task management but found it really lacking for what I wanted to do in this regard.

I particularly agree with your comments about email. I am continuing to modify how I do things to minimize what is in my inbox, what comes in, and frequently make a point to just turn off my email in my office for long periods of time, like for the first two hours of the day to avoid being distracted.

It all comes to balance, and a nice thing about something as powerful as Omnifocus is that you can really customize its use to the level of complexity you want. The downside of Omnifocus is the learning curve, but having gotten by that it works great for me.
    12-29-13 11:40 AM
    It's not so much that Remember is part of the OS, but it is fully integrated. And it's integrated with 3rd party apps as well. As is "share". How do you share things on iOS?

Remember is integrated with Evernote and other task apps, so it has the same functions. But Evernote does not integrate with the Calendar. That's a big deal for people that rely on their Calendar.

So for all practical purposes, Remember has more features than OmniFocus. Because it pulls all the features from 3rd party apps and infuses them in the OS.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 11:43 AM
    Umm, no. It is part of the OS, just like the Browser or the Calendar app. You can't uninstall it or find it in the BlackBerry World store.

Regarding Evernote, what exactly is different? I really want to know. Also, you said Evernote has more features than Remember? Can you please give us some examples? The only one I can think of is text formatting.

Posted via CB10
    With either Evernote or Remember you touch an icon on the screen and it runs a program. It is the same, where you get it, is irrelevant. In terms of features the main differences I have run into are that with Evernote on iOS or Android you can have multiple Evernote accounts, which I in fact have so that matters a lot. They also have a feature called Page Camera which is designed for photos of multipage documents from the Evernote/Moleskine notebooks (although it works on any notebook it seems to me), When you take a picture using this from the app it uploads to the Evernote server as a PDF and that invokes handwriting recognition which indexes your notes. Also, the Page Camera operation makes it easier to take the picture my adding page brackets to the viewfinder and making multipage capture easy.
    12-29-13 11:45 AM
    It's not so much that Remember is part of the OS, but it is fully integrated. And it's integrated with 3rd party apps as well. As is "share". How do you share things on iOS?

Remember is integrated with Evernote and other task apps, so it has the same functions. But Evernote does not integrate with the Calendar. That's a big deal for people that rely on their Calendar.

So for all practical purposes, Remember has more features than OmniFocus. Because it pulls all the features from 3rd party apps and infuses them in the OS.

Posted via CB10
    The sharing is nice, but it has vastly less features in terms of project/ context and other task management operations. It isn't really even a task management system but good for reminders.
    12-29-13 11:47 AM
    Again, that is subjective and I disagree. All my email accounts on an iPhone are one touch away if I chose to arrange it that way. I don't have text messages there in the iPhone, which would be nice to have, but on the other hand I have a VIP mailbox which is nice and not on 10.1. Even better, since I really work to not be distracted by email, I have a paid service that notifies about important emails in a variety of ways I can choose, including an iPhone app. Swiping rather than touching an icon on the screen is not a killer feature.

In terms of cracked screens and customer service, sorry, BB is a joke compared to Apple. I have never had a cracked screen on an iPhone. I have had two break, one from dropping it, and they replaced both for free. I had two iPads we use at work that were dropped and the screens broke. They replaced both for $53 each. I had a key fall off my Q10, hadn't dropped it or anything, and was told by Verizon that BB considers keys falling off damage and wouldn't let them replace it. Fortunately we got Amazon to take it back, it was like a week old.
    There is subjectivity, of course, because it boils down to personal needs and preferences. But the HUB is still to be reckoned with and can not be simulated by arranging icons on your home screen. The two are very different ways of handling communications and the HUB does so more fluent and efficient than any row of icons will be able to achieve. Even when it comes to the important email thing, which the HUB provides some very nice features for.

I do agree with the customer service part of your argument. BlackBerry is like a non existing ghost most of the time when it comes to repairs or replacements where Apple offers the best customer service a consumer could need. They got that locked down.

Z on Channels
    dudoo likes this.
    12-29-13 11:48 AM
    That's not necessarily true about Remember. I use Checked for all my Task, but no need to enter Remember at all. You just share to remember, and it syncs to Checked. You are never actually in Remember. So again, for all practical purposes, it's part of the OS.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 11:52 AM
    Omnifocus sounds a lot like Evernote which is available on BlackBerry 10 and it's also deeply integrated with the OS (Remember can sync with Evernote).
    I can add tasks, reminders, notes and then view/edit them on my Surface 2 tablet and my PC. Isn't this similar to what you are doing on your iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    Evernote and Omnifocus are quite different. Evernote really is a searchable file cabinet. Omnifocus does not function as a holder of content, at least in my experience.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 11:53 AM
    Whatever is the comparison, once BlackBerry has armed itself with a credible policy/link to android, it absolutely needs to get ready with a fully competitive piece of hardware. I believe if it does so on a profitable basis, it can find a good niche in the smartphone market. Bb10 is sufficiently different and convenient to establish itself once again as a viable alternative especially if messaging software is continuously ahead of the others.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 12:42 PM
    Your device must be running an outed OS...or maybe you are missing the correct way to work your phone?

Forwarded emails do show the original sender's email address, or their name if it's formatted on their end, and it's clickable.

Also, you can attach anything directly from the email compose screen....just click the paper clip icon.

Posted via CB10
    I'm using latest official software and can really confirm that from e-mail forwarded from Q10 running 10.2 is not possible to copy, click on or just see the original sender's e-mail adress. I mean adress of the sender of the very first e-mail what then has been forwarded to anywhere using Q10.
    Only exception is when the sender use e-mail adress as his/her "name" as well. In this case is possible to see it in forwarded message as well. 99% people use something else in e-mail name and e-mail adress, so the original in forwarded mail should look like:

But instead the person who do you forward e-mail to will only see the Tomas Kocanda, what is useless as the mail adress is not visible or clickable. Simply cannot use it and deal with it until you send him the mail adress somehow separately.

Here is screenshot how looks e-mail forwarded from Q10 running 10.2 :

Killer features in BB10 vs iPhone?-img_00000064.png

Can you see what mail i'm using at work? You can see the name, company name in () but not e-mail!
    So if I will forward e-mail from somebody like John West (IKEA.DE) you will see just the name and company but cannot use the mail and answer it as you don't know if his e-mail is [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected] or so. Simply e-mail adress is by forwarding lost.

Posted using BlackBerry Q10
    12-29-13 01:09 PM
    You can't shove bbm down anyones throats anymore as it missed the IM boat. Whatsapp is as good and more widely used as a cross-platform IM. You can't really throw time shift at them either because the iphone camera is just better and does panoramic.

The typing on the Blackberry is way better than the iphone but in general I wouldn't get in to a bragging contest with them until Blackberry sorts out all their issues and comes up with some universal software that syncs properly. I'm only still with Blackberry out of stubbornness and my need to type well.
    12-29-13 01:12 PM
    I use Gmail and it includes the original sender's name, or email address. Both are clickable. Must be your email provider.
    I'm using latest official software and can really confirm that from e-mail forwarded from Q10 running 10.2 is not possible to copy, click on or just see the original sender's e-mail adress. I mean adress of the sender of the very first e-mail what then has been forwarded to anywhere using Q10.
    Only exception is when the sender use e-mail adress as his/her "name" as well. In this case is possible to see it in forwarded message as well. 99% people use something else in e-mail name and e-mail adress, so the original in forwarded mail should look like:

But instead the person who do you forward e-mail to will only see the Tomas Kocanda, what is useless as the mail adress is not visible or clickable. Simply cannot use it and deal with it until you send him the mail adress somehow separately.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000064.png 
Views:	1039 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	234295

Can you see what mail i'm using at work? You can see the name, company name in () but not e-mail!
    So if I will forward e-mail from somebody like John West (IKEA.DE) you will see just the name and company but cannot use the mail and answer it as you don't know if his e-mail is [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected] or so. Simply e-mail adress is by forwarding lost.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 01:19 PM

Name:	IMG_00000064.png 
Views:	1039 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	234295

What did you use to send the original email? Because that's where the problem is, not your Q10.
    12-29-13 01:22 PM
    The sharing uses the Remember function, but the features come from Checked. It's pretty functional as a task app. And it's growing rapidly.
    The sharing is nice, but it has vastly less features in terms of project/ context and other task management operations. It isn't really even a task management system but good for reminders.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 01:23 PM
    Here's how it looks like when the email was sent from a standard email client:

Killer features in BB10 vs iPhone?-img_20131229_192510.png

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 01:31 PM
    Here's how it looks like when the email was sent from a standard email client:

Name:	IMG_20131229_192510.png 
Views:	590 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	234317

Posted via CB10
    This is what I would expect...
    But just spotted something - is this screenshot of already forwarded mail for you forward second time or not? If it's just what you see during compose if forwarded message - it's ok, just send it and look what will come on the other side. When I forward any mail, I see this too. But once I send it to the receiver got the mail adress cropped

Anyway, it does not matter what e-mail is using the original (first) sender - or what client he/she use. When I get the mail, it looks exactly as your screenshot. When I forward it to a college using outlook or even to my Gmail or if you want even to my another account on the same Q10, it will show only that part before real e-mail adress and the rest is not forwarded. I can even compose new mail using one account in Q10 and send it to myself to another mail account on the same Q10 and it will be OK. But when I forward it to the fist account (not reply) then the mail adress is gone from the header.
    I'm using Gmail accounts (imap) and two company mail accounts. Does not matter - all do the same thing. Colleague's Q10 running 10.2 is doing exactly the same.

12-29-13 02:14 PM
    Not true. It depends on both clients. From email client and who you forward it to's client.

Mine is linked. I use Gmail and Aol.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 02:17 PM
    Not true. It depends on both clients. From email client and who you forward it to's client.

Posted via CB10
    Let's do a real test. I can forward you some of my received e-mails from different providers (domains) and I bet, you will not see the e-mail in error the header. I really use the phone every day and deal with several hunderets e-mails a day. If this would work, it would really help me to use the phone seriously. On old Bold 9900 was possible to use key "Q" to switch between show/not show sender's e-mail during compose of the forwarded message. With q10 it looks like is visible, but it's not. And now way to set it up.

12-29-13 02:27 PM
    This is what I would expect...
    But just spotted something - is this screenshot of already forwarded mail for you forward second time or not? If it's just what you see during compose if forwarded message - it's ok, just send it and look what will come on the other side. When I forward any mail, I see this too. But once I send it to the receiver got the mail adress cropped

Anyway, it does not matter what e-mail is using the original (first) sender - or what client he/she use. When I get the mail, it looks exactly as your screenshot. When I forward it to a college using outlook or even to my Gmail or if you want even to my another account on the same Q10, it will show only that part before real e-mail adress and the rest is not forwarded. I can even compose new mail using one account in Q10 and send it to myself to another mail account on the same Q10 and it will be OK. But when I forward it to the fist account (not reply) then the mail adress is gone from the header.
    I'm using Gmail accounts (imap) and two company mail accounts. Does not matter - all do the same thing. Colleague's Q10 running 10.2 is doing exactly the same.

That was a screenshot of an email I got and was just forwarding to myself. The full email address still shows up in the forwarded email (screenshot below). One more question: are you on BES?
    Killer features in BB10 vs iPhone?-img_20131229_203056.png

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 02:31 PM
    ^^there ya go.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 02:41 PM
    Again, that is subjective and I disagree. All my email accounts on an iPhone are one touch away if I chose to arrange it that way. I don't have text messages there in the iPhone, which would be nice to have, but on the other hand I have a VIP mailbox which is nice and not on 10.1. Even better, since I really work to not be distracted by email, I have a paid service that notifies about important emails in a variety of ways I can choose, including an iPhone app. Swiping rather than touching an icon on the screen is not a killer feature.

In terms of cracked screens and customer service, sorry, BB is a joke compared to Apple. I have never had a cracked screen on an iPhone. I have had two break, one from dropping it, and they replaced both for free. I had two iPads we use at work that were dropped and the screens broke. They replaced both for $53 each. I had a key fall off my Q10, hadn't dropped it or anything, and was told by Verizon that BB considers keys falling off damage and wouldn't let them replace it. Fortunately we got Amazon to take it back, it was like a week old.
    If you're promoting Apple products, why are you here

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 05:20 PM
    [QUOTE=TheoRadu[/QUOTE]

No, it's basic e-mail setup using IMAP on 2x Gmail and 2x different local provider's server. All mails and sent using SMTP Gmail in first two cases and my provider's SMTP in the other two cases. All four mails do the same.

We are speaking here about killer features of the phone, so I don't compare BES or even BIS (on my 9900) with basic functionality of iphone and Q10.BES is sure something above - same as activesync etc.

If you are on BES, it would explain the difference.

12-29-13 07:00 PM
    If you're promoting Apple products, why are you here

Posted via CB10
    I have been using blackberries since the RIM950. Oh, and I chose to be here.
    12-29-13 07:17 PM
    Nothing wrong with using multiple devices and getting the most out of each device.

I am trying to get more out of my iPhone 5. Still learning about its features.
    I have been using blackberries since the RIM950. Oh, and I chose to be here.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 07:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not really. After long testing I discovered just one difference - if people does not fill the "display name" in the e-mail setup or e-mail client or enter there instead real name their e-mail as well. Some people do it. Then is in forwarded mail their e-mail readable.
    When I try to forward to almost any other e-mail (including pure Gmail without any client) is the forwarded message cropped and the mail adress from the header dissappear. Regardless of where the mail is from and where I send it. Cropping does Q10. If I send the same mail to my iphone and forward it using iphone - it does not happen. If I use desktop pc with outlook - does not happen. When I forward it using Gmail in browser - does not happen. When I forward anything from Q10 - cropped.
    As I said before - it happened on old BlackBerry as well - but when you composed forwarded mail, was possible to press Q and in the header of original message appeared e-mail instead of display name and another click on Q reverted it back to display name.
    On Q10 it's cropped without chance to change it.

Not using BES - simple imap Gmail for example.
    Would be nice to know, if 10.2.1 fix this bug. Or maybe it's not a bug - there was separate thread about it and some people mentioned that it's security feature. I think its just annoying bug what makes using e-mail forwarding nearly useless.

12-29-13 07:29 PM
527 ... 1011121314 ...