i am typing this out and continuing to listen to the music from galaxy music running via flash in the background. Is this possible using iPhone or Android?

Z10, 10.2.1.1925
    You can on an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 07:03 AM
    Quite interesting comments in past 10-15 posts..

One thing to consider regarding e-mails and reason, why I use iphone or old Bold 9900 instead of Q10 for dealing with work e-mails - missing readable (visible) e-mail adress of the original sender in forwarded e-mails from BlackBerry running 10.2
    This makes forwarded e-mails almost unusable as whoever what to write to the original sender or follow up or so, has to ask me if I can copy the sender's e-mail as is not included in the forwarded message.
    So the Workflow is even worse then attaching PDF to e-mail in iphone, where you must create mail after you decide to attach a file or copy the text you already typed in a new e-mail and then create another one with attachment and past the text there. I don't do this is often and attaching photos is very easy inside the mail app. But I forward many e-mails during day and copy sender's e-mail, forward the message, past the e-mail on top for a colleague is very annoying and this is why I forward e-mails from iphone much faster then from Q10.

No device is perfect in this case - but seems like old Bold 9900 does not have any missing feature - just is slow. But for working with e-mails is the best for me.

Posted using BlackBerry Q10
    12-29-13 07:51 AM
    You can on an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    You can't, Safari can't run Flash.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 07:54 AM
    You can on an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure about the flash, but iphone user can also say, if we can control the playback of the background music from the locked screen - what iOS7 can. And it's quite practical. And not only control playback, is possible to turn on/off wifi and bt, change brightness of the screen and turn on torch led or start calculator. Quite practical. On my locked BlackBerry with 10.2 I cannot do anything.

12-29-13 07:55 AM
    You can't, Safari can't run Flash.

Posted via CB10
    You're right, missed the flash part. On the iPhone you can run an app (Pandora) and send texts, etc. The lack of flash on iOS device is a minor nuisance.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 08:03 AM

One thing to consider regarding e-mails and reason, why I use iphone or old Bold 9900 instead of Q10 for dealing with work e-mails - missing readable (visible) e-mail adress of the original sender in forwarded e-mails from BlackBerry running 10.2
    This makes forwarded e-mails almost unusable as whoever what to write to the original sender or follow up or so, has to ask me if I can copy the sender's e-mail as is not included in the forwarded message.
    So the Workflow is even worse then attaching PDF to e-mail in iphone, where you must create mail after you decide to attach a file or copy the text you already typed in a new e-mail and then create another one with attachment and past the text there. I don't do this is often and attaching photos is very easy inside the mail app. But I forward many e-mails during day and copy sender's e-mail, forward the message, past the e-mail on top for a colleague is very annoying and this is why I forward e-mails from iphone much faster then from Q10.

No device is perfect in this case - but seems like old Bold 9900 does not have any missing feature - just is slow. But for working with e-mails is the best for me.

I don't really understand what you mean. What email addresses are not visible? Can you post a screenshot?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 08:08 AM
    I'd love this feature, let me be able turn it off though if needed. I've wanted support for my phone to automatically go to my latest incoming message when I pick it up off a desk or something. Would be a great idea imo

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 08:11 AM
    Not sure about the flash, but iphone user can also say, if we can control the playback of the background music from the locked screen - what iOS7 can. And it's quite practical. And not only control playback, is possible to turn on/off wifi and bt, change brightness of the screen and turn on torch led or start calculator. Quite practical. On my locked BlackBerry with 10.2 I cannot do anything.

You don't know how to use it then. When listening to something, all you have to do is to press one of the volume keys. A panel will then appear that will allow you to play/pause or go to the previous/next track.
    Enabling/disabling the Wi-Fi connection is also possible from the quick settings menu. You have to swipe from the top when you are in the Hub or on the homescreen. Many other things will be available with the next update (10.2.1), including a torch feature.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 08:14 AM
    this thread does contain important features and facts, but ppl forgot the thread title? it said "killer" features, not just features that iphone doesn't have. those things you guys mention are not game breaking and "killer". having gestures and having the same end result is not called "killer". having a hub is not called "killer". and having to use a wire cable to connect to your tv is definitely not "killer". it is actually a step back in technology when most ppl are trying to go wireless. the most laughable one is probably having to install apk files directly like iphone user will envy when they can just get it from the app store.

u know what "killer" feature iphone have. all the apps in the world ppl need and easy to use. when a grandma or a 3 years old can pick it up and enjoy it then it is a "killer" feature. not to mention most ppl would agree iphone look great. when you touch it you know its a premium product.

Until BB can step up their app game then all the "killer" feature you guys are naming will not be enough.
    The HUB I would classify as a major killer feature. Having all communications in one native, unified and integrated place and only one swipe away from anywhere on your device, without even mentioning all available features within, is definitely a killer feature.

Swiping through the OS, Peek and Flow is also a killer feature. It's a more polished experience than tapping hardware buttons for multitasking. I would even argue that BlackBerry needs to take the gestures a step up and integrate even more to make the killer feature even more "deadly".

BlackBerry 10 does not need a hardware cable to connect to a TV. It supports DLNA, Miracast, WiFi direct and what not. This is a killer feature. It's the older tv that needs a hardware cable to connect with a phone, BlackBerry 10 caters to those who haven't "stepped forward in technology".

The "premium" feel of an iPhone means more cracked screens (everyone I know with an iPhone experienced this at least once, I know some who had this happen more often) and even worse, a bad data connection due to the metal. BlackBerry phones (Bold and BlackBerry 10) have always felt rugged and premium, without cracking screens or bad receptions.

These are replies to your statements about them not being "killer" features. If these features don't mean much to you, that is one thing, but they are killer features nonetheless. Many more can be added to the list. As to your 3 year old and grandma argument, that has nothing to do with "killer features". It says the phone is easy to handle without a learning curve. Considering we use phones nowadays for a year or two, some even three, a one week learning curve (BlackBerry 10) is peanuts and can not be used as an argument why a phone sucks b*lls.

Z on Channels
    12-29-13 08:23 AM
    Damn. That's one hell of a reply. I'm outta here.

Z on Channels
    miker476 likes this.
    12-29-13 08:24 AM
    Sorry I edited my last post just before you replied. Try going to independent.co.uk, click on an article, and scroll while zoomed out. You should definitely be able to see the juddering.
    The screen becomes less responsive, sometimes the swipes are not registered (happens on the iPad as well). The scrolling animation is not affected though, it's still smooth for me.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 10:11 AM
    The HUB I would classify as a major killer feature. Having all communications in one native, unified and integrated place and only one swipe away from anywhere on your device, without even mentioning all available features within, is definitely a killer feature.

Swiping through the OS, Peek and Flow is also a killer feature. It's a more polished experience than tapping hardware buttons for multitasking. I would even argue that BlackBerry needs to take the gestures a step up and integrate even more to make the killer feature even more "deadly".

BlackBerry 10 does not need a hardware cable to connect to a TV. It supports DLNA, Miracast, WiFi direct and what not. This is a killer feature. It's the older tv that needs a hardware cable to connect with a phone, BlackBerry 10 caters to those who haven't "stepped forward in technology".

The "premium" feel of an iPhone means more cracked screens (everyone I know with an iPhone experienced this at least once, I know some who had this happen more often) and even worse, a bad data connection due to the metal. BlackBerry phones (Bold and BlackBerry 10) have always felt rugged and premium, without cracking screens or bad receptions.

These are replies to your statements about them not being "killer" features. If these features don't mean much to you, that is one thing, but they are killer features nonetheless. Many more can be added to the list. As to your 3 year old and grandma argument, that has nothing to do with "killer features". It says the phone is easy to handle without a learning curve. Considering we use phones nowadays for a year or two, some even three, a one week learning curve (BlackBerry 10) is peanuts and can not be used as an argument why a phone sucks b*lls.

Z on Channels
    Again, that is subjective and I disagree. All my email accounts on an iPhone are one touch away if I chose to arrange it that way. I don't have text messages there in the iPhone, which would be nice to have, but on the other hand I have a VIP mailbox which is nice and not on 10.1. Even better, since I really work to not be distracted by email, I have a paid service that notifies about important emails in a variety of ways I can choose, including an iPhone app. Swiping rather than touching an icon on the screen is not a killer feature.

In terms of cracked screens and customer service, sorry, BB is a joke compared to Apple. I have never had a cracked screen on an iPhone. I have had two break, one from dropping it, and they replaced both for free. I had two iPads we use at work that were dropped and the screens broke. They replaced both for $53 each. I had a key fall off my Q10, hadn't dropped it or anything, and was told by Verizon that BB considers keys falling off damage and wouldn't let them replace it. Fortunately we got Amazon to take it back, it was like a week old.
    12-29-13 10:19 AM
    Your device must be running an outed OS...or maybe you are missing the correct way to work your phone?

Forwarded emails do show the original sender's email address, or their name if it's formatted on their end, and it's clickable.

Also, you can attach anything directly from the email compose screen....just click the paper clip icon.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 10:28 AM
    Well it is different:

1. It's more secure. On a BlackBerry you don't have to use a 3rd party app and the email doesn't have to leave the device.
    2. There's less integration between that app and the OS. On a BlackBerry you can share anything from anywhere to any app on your device.
    3. You don't have to spend any time looking for an app that does what your OS should have built in. Also, your way sounds like a workaround. Because the OS doesn't come with an API to copy emails to a calendar reminder, the phone has to send the email to an unknown email account.

And why are you still on 10.1? Just install a leak if your carrier can't be bothered to release updates. It's worth it, believe me. 10.2 and 10.2.1 are at least 30% better than 10.1.
    You are comparing Apples and oranges, no pun intended. With the BB actions you are talking about, you are simply adding a calendar reminder. With what I described you are entering a task in a cross platform, rich task management system. Not at all the same. When I do that on iPhone in Omnifocus, the purpose of the sync is to put it in Omnifocus on all of my devices, desktop, MB Air, and iPad. Most of the time I work in my office and my tasks are there.

The purpose of the OS is to run software. BB has nothing remotely compared to a full task management capability like Omnifocus. So while you phrase it as something you can't do it in iOS in reality you can't do it in BB since this isn't something that BB10 does (full task management), nor is there an app like it nor the cross platform capability to run the software from desktop to phone.
    12-29-13 10:33 AM
    Checked Task app does all of the task functions that I need. And it's integrated with Remember. I use Evernote, within Remember, if I want to sync with my desktop and iPod.

Same effect as you are talking about. Just a little easier to add to the calender in one swoop.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 10:37 AM
    Again, that is subjective and I disagree. All my email accounts on an iPhone are one touch away if I chose to arrange it that way. I don't have text messages there in the iPhone, which would be nice to have, but on the other hand I have a VIP mailbox which is nice and not on 10.1. Even better, since I really work to not be distracted by email, I have a paid service that notifies about important emails in a variety of ways I can choose, including an iPhone app. Swiping rather than touching an icon on the screen is not a killer feature.

In terms of cracked screens and customer service, sorry, BB is a joke compared to Apple. I have never had a cracked screen on an iPhone. I have had two break, one from dropping it, and they replaced both for free. I had two iPads we use at work that were dropped and the screens broke. They replaced both for $53 each. I had a key fall off my Q10, hadn't dropped it or anything, and was told by Verizon that BB considers keys falling off damage and wouldn't let them replace it. Fortunately we got Amazon to take it back, it was like a week old.
    Why are you even mentioning 10.1? 10.2 has been out for months and the Priority Inbox feature that comes with it is miles better than VIP Inbox. Should we start comparing the latest BlackBerry 10 OS to iOS 5 or 4? Just update already!

Regarding the payed service you mentioned, are you even aware that with 10.2 notifications are customisable per account, per app and even per contact? No payed service or 3rd party app required for this.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 10:39 AM
    You are comparing Apples and oranges, no pun intended. With the BB actions you are talking about, you are simply adding a calendar reminder. With what I described you are entering a task in a cross platform, rich task management system. Not at all the same. When I do that on iPhone in Omnifocus, the purpose of the sync is to put it in Omnifocus on all of my devices, desktop, MB Air, and iPad. Most of the time I work in my office and my tasks are there.

The purpose of the OS is to run software. BB has nothing remotely compared to a full task management capability like Omnifocus. So while you phrase it as something you can't do it in iOS in reality you can't do it in BB since this isn't something that BB10 does (full task management), nor is there an app like it nor the cross platform capability to run the software from desktop to phone.
    It adds it to your Outlook (or "work") calendar / task list that should be synced across all devices. On another note, not sure if iOS7 has fixed this or not, but BlackBerry syncs your tasks and notes to Outlook, not just mail/calendar/contacts. That's how the work flow is preserved - all tasks are synced across all devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 10:43 AM

Omnifocus sounds a lot like Evernote which is available on BlackBerry 10 and it's also deeply integrated with the OS (Remember can sync with Evernote).
    I can add tasks, reminders, notes and then view/edit them on my Surface 2 tablet and my PC. Isn't this similar to what you are doing on your iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 10:44 AM
    Also, through the magic of ActiveSync I can add/edit/view notes and tasks straight to my Exchange account. This will also sync with all my devices.
    12-29-13 10:46 AM
    OmniFocus is OK, but nothing special. It is more flexible than Evernote though. To me, what makes a Task app work is its integration with the entire contents of the phone. I don't like having to email myself things just to get them in a Task and/or put them on my Calendar.
    Omnifocus sounds a lot like Evernote which is available on BlackBerry 10 and it's also deeply integrated with the OS (Remember can sync with Evernote).
    I can add tasks, reminders, notes and then view/edit them on my Surface 2 tablet and my PC. Isn't this similar to what you are doing on your iPhone?

Also, through the magic of ActiveSync I can add/edit/view notes and tasks straight to my Exchange account. This will also sync with all my devices.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 10:55 AM
    Just had a thought... how many other operating systems let you make your own personal cloud server? or at least make it as easy as what BlackBerry 10.1 (and up) and BlackBerry Link can? This has me seriously considering buying a Mac Mini server edition and slowly hooking up external NAS storage drives (sorry if I am not using the correct term there) to it, installing BlackBerry Link, and using that as my own personal cloud storage for everything from documents I could need for potential clients (a copy of a standard photographer's contract for example) to my entire photo library.

I know similar can be done with Dropbox or Box or Google Drive, but as a photographer and one with privacy in mind, I know that once a photo is uploaded to the Internet, they can be accessed by anyone who has access to my accounts, including the providers themselves. My photos are my livelihood, and the last thing I would want is Google or Dropbox (or Amazon by extension of Dropbox using their servers) seeing a photograph of mine that they really like and using it in promotional material without my consent. This is the very reason I don't use Facebook or Picasa as a means of sharing my photography, their terms of service explicitly say they have the right to use whatever I upload however they see fit. Having my own private cloud would negate this.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    12-29-13 11:06 AM
    OmniFocus is OK, but nothing special. It is more flexible than Evernote though. To me, what makes a Task app work is its integration with the entire contents of the phone. I don't like having to email myself things just to get them in a Task and/or put them on my Calendar.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, which is why I prefer to use Remember. I mentioned Evernote as an alternative to Omnifocus because it's also available on multiple platforms. That being said, I just opened Evernote now on my Q10 and it seems to be quite well integrated with the OS. You can share calendar appointments to Evernote and back. This is more of a feature of the OS though. BlackBerry 10 has awesome (probably the best) sharing abilities.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 11:13 AM
    Agree...the "share" option and integration sets BB10 apart.

Posted via CB10
    dudoo likes this.
    12-29-13 11:18 AM
    Agree...the "share" option and integration sets BB10 apart.

Posted via CB10
    I think we found that one killer feature

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 11:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    I use Evernote a lot and it is quite different than Omnifocus. And the fact that Remember is in the OS is really not accurate. It is an app that comes with BB10. That is no different than having an Evernote app in iOS or Android, except that both the Android and iOS Evernote apps have a lot more features than the Remember app.
    12-29-13 11:30 AM
527 ... 910111213 ...