Question: when you file an email for later, can you add a reminder on your calendar? How?
    Other than attachments, which I do send as described, I don't really use them. Most of the email I get I either 1) read and file, 2) move to a folder to deal with later, 3) move to a folder for my assistant to deal with or 4) delete. I can do those quite well on an iPhone, in fact probably a bit easier to say delete multiple messages.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 07:38 PM
    Smooth as silk. Is your Flash Player enabled?

Posted via CB10
    No flash is not enabled, although even if it were that shouldn't have an effect. I don't know why you can't see it. It kind of reminds me of talking to android users who couldn't see it until you pointed it out. In this case the stutters aren't nearly as bad, but you can still see them. They're less frequent and more evident at the end of an inertial scroll, where instead of coming to a perfectly smooth "landing", a gradual glide towards zero velocity, you get a "bumpy" deceleration in the forms of a few judders or stutters.

It helps if you scroll quickly through an entire page. Speed up the scrolling by swiping up or down a few times consecutively and you'll see it more easily.
    12-28-13 07:44 PM
    No flash is not enabled, although even if it were that shouldn't have an effect. I don't know why you can't see it. It kind of reminds me of talking to android users who couldn't see it until you pointed it out. In this case the stutters aren't nearly as bad, but you can still see them. They're less frequent and more evident at the end of an inertial scroll, where instead of coming to a perfectly smooth "landing", a gradual glide towards zero velocity, you get a "bumpy" deceleration in the forms of a few judders or stutters.

It helps if you scroll quickly through an entire page. Speed up the scrolling by swiping up or down a few times consecutively and you'll see it more easily.
    I honestly can't see any stutters. I wish there was a way to record the scrolling animation. Have you seen this on other people's BlackBerry 10 phones? What OS version are you using?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 08:06 PM
    Installation of Android apk directly
    Integration of apps with BBM and Hub
    Micro SD adapters? WTF

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    Android apk? Oh... come on.... we just need native app for our BB10.
    IOS apps is better than android.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 08:13 PM
    I honestly can't see any stutters. I wish there was a way to record the scrolling animation. Have you seen this on other people's BlackBerry 10 phones? What OS version are you using?

Posted via CB10
    I'm using the latest .1925, but it's been the same on all versions. Sadly I don't know anyone else with a bb10 device. Most of the people I show my z10 to are surprised to learn blackberry makes an all touch screen phone.

Are you accessing the desktop version of the aforementioned sites?

Actually here's a good example. Go to independent.co.uk and click on an article. Any one should do. Now scroll up and down within the article and you should see a lot of stuttering. Not sure why it's so prominent on their site but it seems to be the worst I've seen it.
    Last edited by sonicmerlin; 12-28-13 at 08:40 PM.
    12-28-13 08:29 PM
    I'm using the latest .1925, but it's been the same on all versions. Sadly I don't know anyone else with a bb10 device. Most of the people I show my z10 to are surprised to learn blackberry makes an all touch screen phone.

Are you accessing the desktop version of the aforementioned sites?
    Yes, both sites were in desktop mode. I'm using the same leak on my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 08:41 PM
    Yes, both sites were in desktop mode. I'm using the same leak on my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry I edited my last post just before you replied. Try going to independent.co.uk, click on an article, and scroll while zoomed out. You should definitely be able to see the juddering.
    12-28-13 09:25 PM
    Question: when you file an email for later, can you add a reminder on your calendar? How?

Posted via CB10
    Not that I know of although in looking at my Q10 I don't see how to do it there either. There are a couple of ways I deal with that depending on the nature and urgency of the message. Below are my approximate workflows for different types of message that I receive and mostly file (at least one exception).

Automated emails notifying me of a change in status of one of the projects I manage on Basecamp such as a task completed or new information uploaded as a file - Read,. determine whether to go to website or app for more information then or wait for a normal review of that project and then delete the message

Update or information about a project - read, and if I want to followup either answer then or forward the message to the Omnifocus server. Then move the message to my emails for that month or to a project specific folder that I keep for a small number of high priority projects. This is all in Exchange by the way. The Omnifocus server kicks back, almost instantly a specially formatted message with a place in it click, when I click it it creates an Omnifocus task that pops up on screen I can edit, add a flag, add a due date, etc. Then save to Omnifocus. Then I delete the message from the Omnifocus server, saving the original in the appropriate folder (inbox not being appropriate). Sometimes the message instead will go into a folder for my assistant to process, more on that later.

Meeting requests or requests for information - For meetings they go into a folder for my assistant. She has access to this, well, and my inbox to so she gets some stuff before I even see it especially about meetings. For other things in this category they go into a folder of emails to be answered in the next 48 hours or one to be answered in the next week.

Something that needs action by someone else - forward or put in folder for my assistant. If the former, depending on importance, I may BCC the forwarded email to the Omnifocus server so get the bounceback tag to add the followup to my task list.

Crap - delete

So stuff that goes in my assistant's folder. Once or twice a week I tag those with a category in Exchange, on a MacOS device. Some are so obvious she just deals with them before I even can tag them. The categories that I mostly use:

For her - invoices, calendar reminders, travel confirmations, add to my contact list, requests for administrative information and some other. She just takes care of these.

To discuss - Things that I think it would be best to discuss during our routine meetings, which are 2-4 times per week. These are things that aren't clear in terms of her next steps. Also in here are things like meeting invitations (out of town meetings) to attend or speak at a meeting that I am considering. When we meet I typically ask her to get more information and check my calendar on them.

Urgent - pretty clear meaning

Requests for time - these are for things that I need to spend some uninterrupted time on. We discuss the priority of these in our periodic meetings and when I send her a master project list with my priorities for the upcoming week. She then blocks time on my calendar to deal with the message and things related to it.

Try to make them leave me alone - for the invitations I get to speak somewhere that I really want them to stop sending my emails about.
    12-28-13 09:38 PM
    Gotya. I need to be able to flag emails, text, etc with Calendar reminders. I spent many a day on the Apple forums looking for something that did this.

My use is more reminder oriented than task oriented. I get emails and text that require later action. And many times I get these messages while I am on the go.

I'm amazed a phone as popular as an iPhone doesn't have an app for this. Maybe it's out there now. In the old BBOS days, the app was called "Add To Calender". It's native on the Q via Remember, which syncs with most of the 3rd party BlackBerry apps.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 09:52 PM
    Gotya. I need to be able to flag emails, text, etc with Calendar reminders. I spent many a day on the Apple forums looking for something that did this.

My use is more reminder oriented than task oriented. I get emails and text that require later action. And many times I get these messages while I am on the go.

I'm amazed a phone as popular as an iPhone doesn't have an app for this. Maybe it's out there now. In the old BBOS days, the app was called "Add To Calender". It's native on the Q via Remember, which syncs with most of the 3rd party BlackBerry apps.

Posted via CB10
    How do you do that in Remember?
    12-28-13 09:56 PM
    Emails you have to flag first. Everything else you "share" to remember. Pretty much anything on the phone has the share option.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 10:01 PM
    Emails you have to flag first. Everything else you "share" to remember. Pretty much anything on the phone has the share option.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, still don't see share. Is this only in 10.2? I'm running 10.1 still.
    12-28-13 10:05 PM
    Sorry...yes. 10.2 integrates the phone with the calendar and task via Remember.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 10:08 PM
    Sorry...yes. 10.2 integrates the phone with the calendar and task via Remember.

Posted via CB10

Okay, I will look for it with 10.2 although I will probably mainly be using an Android for my second phone by then. I do remember doing it on my Curve but I think I actually had some service that it worked through, can't remember the details. Nice to know it might be there, I probably wouldn't use it a lot but it could come in handy on occasion. Thanks.
    12-28-13 10:15 PM
    Hub and keyboard are good ones..but the best I believe is BBM video chat Screen Share.
    12-28-13 10:15 PM
    NFC
    File Management
    Download using browser (unbelievable that you can't do this on ios)

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 11:15 PM
    Exactly. Nothing wrong with an adult wanting to listen to music or play games. But outside of that, the iPhone doesn't really do much compared to the BB10 phones...especially the Q with its keyboard.

Calendar management on the iPhone is a joke. Business people need good Calendar and task management.

Posted via CB10
    I have seen you post this comment or something like it on different thrrads. Would love more detail on your workflows and how you implement calendar integration.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 11:24 PM
    You have to have 10.2 for Calendar integration. With. 2, you can use the long press then "Share" to Remember and add a reminder. It then integrates with the Calendar. Text messages, photos, websites, etc. With email, you have to use the "Flag" option, then go to the Unfiled Remember folder and add a reminder. Does that help?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 11:32 PM
    I'm not on a leaked OS but I can use Remember. And yes, I think I get the concept. Thanks for the reply.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 12:19 AM
    You have to have 10.2 for Calendar integration. With. 2, you can use the long press then "Share" to Remember and add a reminder. It then integrates with the Calendar. Text messages, photos, websites, etc. With email, you have to use the "Flag" option, then go to the Unfiled Remember folder and add a reminder. Does that help?

Posted via CB10
    At least part of that is working in 10.1 although I'm not sure how it is much different than just forwarding the message to Omnifocus and then using that to add a calendar reminder. It just seems like the same thing but with different apps.
    12-29-13 12:51 AM
    At least part of that is working in 10.1 although I'm not sure how it is much different than just forwarding the message to Omnifocus and then using that to add a calendar reminder. It just seems like the same thing but with different apps.
    Well it is different:

1. It's more secure. On a BlackBerry you don't have to use a 3rd party app and the email doesn't have to leave the device.
    2. There's less integration between that app and the OS. On a BlackBerry you can share anything from anywhere to any app on your device.
    3. You don't have to spend any time looking for an app that does what your OS should have built in. Also, your way sounds like a workaround. Because the OS doesn't come with an API to copy emails to a calendar reminder, the phone has to send the email to an unknown email account.

And why are you still on 10.1? Just install a leak if your carrier can't be bothered to release updates. It's worth it, believe me. 10.2 and 10.2.1 are at least 30% better than 10.1.
    Last edited by TheoRadu; 12-29-13 at 05:50 AM.
    12-29-13 05:13 AM
    As a person who has and continues to carry two devices on different platforms this is an interesting issue to me. This does also happen to highlight the basic advantages of each platform.

1. Apples's advantage: apps (like Omnifocus). By the way, I'm not sure Omnifocus has tight integration with a calendar, but it is an elegant, if not complicated, task management app.

2. BlackBerry 's advantage: a highly functional OS off the shelf. I was impressed with Remember from the beginning though I still haven't figured out how best to use it, hence my question above.

A couple other observations about productivity, workflows, etc. My take is generally less is more, simple is better. I have wasted countless hours trying to figure out a workable workflow and information and task/productivity system and have reached the conclusion that most of the apps and processes actually cost time rather than save it. Having said that, if there is a way with one tool (smartphone) and not a lot of add-ons (apps) to get the job done, I want to know it and use it.

I think one way to get toward productivity is to get out of the inbox. The more time I spend in my email inbox, the less time I spend doing my work. I can't fathom it is any different for any professional person. Email is now, in a way, a necessary evil, so I must find a way to deal with that as well as somehow being productive.

My last observation has to do with how we accomplish productivity then outside the device. It can do a lot of things, can help us keep track of information, lists, pictures, whatever, but it can't do the work. And to be of primary benefit, it has to be able to share information outside the device (Outlook, Evernote, etc.). One of the reasons Apple has an advantage once we are outside the off the shelf functionality, is that the apps tend to work seamlessly across devices. So I pose that as the final question: given that reality, can my Q10 simply accomplish what it takes lots of apps on the Apple side to maintain productivity?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 06:21 AM
    Browser can open Flash Sites ....
    And here is one i can open only on my bb, since i am with bell ca, the galaxy music app won't allow me to login and continue to get this music..

Killer features in BB10 vs iPhone?-img_20131229_072344.png

Z10, 10.2.1.1925
    12-29-13 06:27 AM
    Well it is different:

1. It's more secure. On a BlackBerry you don't have to use a 3rd party app and the email doesn't have to leave the device.
    2. There's less integration between that app and the OS. On a BlackBerry you can share anything from anywhere to any app on your device.
    3. You don't have to spend any time looking for an app that does what your OS should have built in. Also, your way sounds like a workaround. Because the OS doesn't come with an API to copy emails to a calendar reminder, the phone has to send the email to an unknown email account.

And why are you still on 10.1? Just install a leak if your carrier can't be bothered to release updates. It's worth it, believe me. 10.2 and 10.2.1 are at least 30% better than 10.1.
    Point 3 is the inherent problem with iOS and the referenced app. And it highlights my frustration with any "workflow" that requires multiple steps. At some point, all you're doing is process, making lists, etc. That is when productivity has jumped the shark: more about rules and process than about getting something actually done.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 06:27 AM
    i am typing this out and continuing to listen to the music from galaxy music running via flash in the background. Is this possible using iPhone or Android?

Z10, 10.2.1.1925
    Last edited by dudoo; 12-29-13 at 06:52 AM.
    12-29-13 06:38 AM
527 ... 89101112 ...