I did more research and discovered that every current smartphone platform I could think to check has this ability. Users on Android, iOS, Windows Phone 8 and Jolla Sailfish can do this right now.

The playing of YouTube videos in the background while using the phone for other things isn't the magical feat some posters here make it out to be. Heck, WebOS and Meego could both do it before BlackBerry 10 even existed.
    I'm still not in that big a hurry to answer emails

Posted via CB10
    Saiga likes this.
    12-28-13 03:12 PM
    I did more research and discovered that every current smartphone platform I could think to check has this ability. Users on Android, iOS, Windows Phone 8 and Jolla Sailfish can do this right now.

The playing of YouTube videos in the background while using the phone for other things isn't the magical feat some posters here make it out to be. Heck, WebOS and Meego could both do it before BlackBerry 10 even existed.
    That's funny because my brand new Nokia Lumia 1020 running the latest version of WP can't play a video in the background. My friend's Samsung Galaxy S4 also pauses the video when he presses the home button. Same goes for my iPad running iOS 7. I suggest you start over with your "research".

Fact: at the moment, BlackBerry 10 is the only mobile OS with a native browser that can play videos uninterrupted in the background. There were other mobile OSes that were able to do this like WebOS, Windows Mobile, Meego or PlayBook OS, but they are all gone now.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 03:34 PM
    Well no it isn't. I said that much of a hurry. And I travel a lot so it is very useful without letting email control my life. Very few emails can't be answered in 5 minutes or whatever it takes to finish a video on you tube. As for DSLRs I even insist on manual over ride on my point and shoot camera and found that manual focus and spot metering was critical in some situations, like being able to capture an animal in the shadows in the bush in Zambia with a 300 m telephoto but not so much out on a bright street. And knowing the difference is important.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think you got my point. I really don't care how you use your camera, it was an analogy. Here's what I meant: a DSLR camera comes with a lot of nice features that don't exist on a basic point-and-shoot camera (just like a smartphone comes with many things that don't exist on a dumb phone). So if you would use your DSLR as a point-and-shoot and not take advantage of all those features you paid good money for, it wouldn't mean DSLRs shouldn't have the features in the first place. It would mean you shouldn't have bought a DSLR in the first place. Those features are very valuable to people who actually need a DSLR.

Also, the email was just an example. I also said I sometimes read articles while listening to something from YouTube. There are many things you can do while a video is playing in the background.

P.S.: I wrote this post while listening to Rihanna's latest stupid song.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 03:50 PM
    That's funny because my brand new Nokia Lumia 1020 running the latest version of WP can't play a video in the background. My friend's Samsung Galaxy S4 also pauses the video when he presses the home button. Same goes for my iPad running iOS 7. I suggest you start over with your "research".

Fact: at the moment, BlackBerry 10 is the only mobile OS with a native browser that can play videos uninterrupted in the background. There were other mobile OSes that were able to do this like WebOS, Windows Mobile, Meego or PlayBook OS, but they are all gone now.

Posted via CB10
    The ability is present on all of them. Every single last one of them has the ability to do it. Just because you don't know about it doesn't change that. On all of the platforms, the videos only pause because of how the browser or app was written. Not because of a limitation of the specific OS. That is fact!

I've already posted a video of how to do it on iOS, and the same method works on my daughter's iPad from school. I'm doing it right this very moment.

For your Nokia, use myTube. It doesn't have the code to pause the video. I am using this right now on my Lumia 521. It works.

For Android, use any of the apps or browsers that don't have the code to pause the video. Nexvid seems to be the most popular choice. I'm using it on my Nexus 4 right now. It works.

Sailfish's native browser lacks the code to pause the video just like BlackBerry 10 does. I don't have a Sailfish device yet.

I am listening to YouTube videos in the background on three different platforms right this very second. So please don't tell me it doesn't work. Bottom line, all of the current smartphone operating systems have the ability to do it! It really isn't something that is difficult to accomplish.
    12-28-13 03:59 PM
    Notice how you were referring to apps? Lol

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:10 PM
    Does the iPhone push Gmail these days? I could only get mine to send every 15 minutes.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:13 PM
    Notice how you were referring to apps? Lol

Posted via CB10
    Notice how I was referring to ABILITY? I said they all have they ability to do it and they do.

YouTube playing in the background doesn't prove anything except whether or not the browser or app includes a line of code for pausing the video when it exists the foreground. That is my main point. It doesn't prove anything about multitasking. If it does, then I guess my little 521 is a multitasking beast.
    12-28-13 04:16 PM
    The ability is present on all of them. Every single last one of them has the ability to do it. Just because you don't know about it doesn't change that. On all of the platforms, the videos only pause because of how the browser or app was written. Not because of a limitation of the specific OS. That is fact!

I've already posted a video of how to do it on iOS, and the same method works on my daughter's iPad from school. I'm doing it right this very moment.

For your Nokia, use myTube. It doesn't have the code to pause the video. I am using this right now on my Lumia 521. It works.

For Android, use any of the apps or browsers that don't have the code to pause the video. Nexvid seems to be the most popular choice. I'm using it on my Nexus 4 right now. It works.

Sailfish's native browser lacks the code to pause the video just like BlackBerry 10 does. I don't have a Sailfish device yet.

Bottom line, all of the current smartphone operating systems have the ability to do it! It really isn't something that is difficult to accomplish.
    I never said BlackBerry 10 is the only mobile OS that can have apps running in the background. I was only referring to the native browser.

Also, the way it works in Safari is stupid and useless. Videos also pause if you open a new tab. I usually go back and forth between the hub or other apps and the browser and having to un-pause the video every time would be very annoying.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:20 PM
    I never said BlackBerry 10 is the only mobile OS that can have apps running in the background. I was only referring to the native browser.

Also, the way it works in Safari is stupid and useless. Videos also pause if you open a new tab. I usually go back and forth between the hub or other apps and the browser and having to un-pause the video every time would be very annoying.

Posted via CB10
    In other words they can all do it but in a different way so you say it doesn't count. Got it. They can all do it. So it isn't an issue.
    12-28-13 04:47 PM
    I don't think you got my point. I really don't care how you use your camera, it was an analogy. Here's what I meant: a DSLR camera comes with a lot of nice features that don't exist on a basic point-and-shoot camera (just like a smartphone comes with many things that don't exist on a dumb phone). So if you would use your DSLR as a point-and-shoot and not take advantage of all those features you paid good money for, it wouldn't mean DSLRs shouldn't have the features in the first place. It would mean you shouldn't have bought a DSLR in the first place. Those features are very valuable to people who actually need a DSLR.

Also, the email was just an example. I also said I sometimes read articles while listening to something from YouTube. There are many things you can do while a video is playing in the background.

P.S.: I wrote this post while listening to Rihanna's latest stupid song.

Posted via CB10

No, I completely get your point. But just because a feature is there doesn't mean you always have to use it. This is of course a highly academic discussion since all the other platforms can do this anyway as pointed out. I have never tried listening to YouTube in the background actually, I listen to music in the background all of the time which works fine. As for You Tube, I use it for videos and don't feel the need to stop watching one to answer an email.
    12-28-13 04:50 PM
    Notice how I was referring to ABILITY? I said they all have they ability to do it and they do.

YouTube playing in the background doesn't prove anything except whether or not the browser or app includes a line of code for pausing the video when it exists the foreground. That is my main point. It doesn't prove anything about multitasking. If it does, then I guess my little 521 is a multitasking beast.
    You don't seem to know much about mobile development, so this might help. Both WP and iOS don't have true multitasking abilities at the moment. Only some things were allowed to run in the background (VOIP and location-based features) prior to iOS 7. With iOS 7 Apple gave developers a bit more control, apps can now get content from a server at regular intervals or listen to notifications from a server for a maximum of 30 seconds. After that, the app is suspended completely. WP8 has similar limitations. BlackBerry 10 on the other hand has true multitasking abilities. It can run any app for an unlimited period of time (provided you don't close the active frame of course).

As an example, here's something you can't do on iOS at the moment: to build a torrent app that keeps downloading even when the app is not visible.

Posted via CB10
    GSM-S likes this.
    12-28-13 04:55 PM
    No, I completely get your point. But just because a feature is there doesn't mean you always have to use it. This is of course a highly academic discussion since all the other platforms can do this anyway as pointed out. I have never tried listening to YouTube in the background actually, I listen to music in the background all of the time which works fine. As for You Tube, I use it for videos and don't feel the need to stop watching one to answer an email.
    iOS and WP8 can't do it, no matter how you code the app (read my previous post). Android can, but the native browser still pauses videos.

And I'm not saying you should use all the features that come with a modern smartphone, but I expect you to understand those features are important for other people who need them. And because of this, we can say that the OS with more features is better than the OS with less features (objectively), even if some people don't care for those extra features.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:59 PM
    What OS version are you on? I've never seen a lag when scrolling on my Q10. Not even when it was running 10.0 and 10.1.

Posted via CB10
    I'm talking about stuttering and juddering. You mean to tell me you've never seen the browser stutter? It's maintained a silky smooth 60 FPS no matter what site you go to? That's truly absurd.

Just scroll around on almost any image or link heavy site and you'll see dropped frames and stutters. If you still can't see it, then you need to get an ipad and compare how it scrolls so smoothly to bb10's browser. Or better yet, open up bb10's settings app and scroll up and down... Silky smooth. If you still don't see it, then I don't know what to tell you.
    12-28-13 05:08 PM
    I use both a Q10 and a iPhone 5 everyday. The iPhone is great for music and video. The Q's OS is much more productive for me. It's not even close. I work in music and don't ever see myself without an iPhone. But if I had to choose one and I needed it for business...the Q is superior.

And I have had the iPhone 5 for twice as long as the Q.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 05:11 PM
    iOS and WP8 can't do it, no matter how you code the app (read my previous post). Android can, but the native browser still pauses videos.

And I'm not saying you should use all the features that come with a modern smartphone, but I expect you to understand those features are important for other people who need them. And because of this, we can say that the OS with more features is better than the OS with less features (objectively), even if some people don't care for those extra features.

Posted via CB10
    Saiga as posted that you can do it in iOS. Saying not in the native browser is a meaningless restriction. I do understand that features are important for different people. But the OS features are only part of the story. At the end of the day you can do vastly more with iOS or Android than BB because of the software that runs on them. And that is the bottom line, not some artificial distinction of what is in the OS or in an app.
    Saiga likes this.
    12-28-13 05:14 PM
    I'm talking about stuttering and juddering. You mean to tell me you've never seen the browser stutter? It's maintained a silky smooth 60 FPS no matter what site you go to? That's truly absurd.

Just scroll around on almost any image or link heavy site and you'll see dropped frames and stutters. If you still can't see it, then you need to get an ipad and compare how it scrolls so smoothly to bb10's browser. Or better yet, open up bb10's settings app and scroll up and down... Silky smooth. If you still don't see it, then I don't know what to tell you.
    I do have an iPad, my Q10 is just as smooth. The only difference is the speed of the animation, the iPad has a slower scrolling animation. Do you consider this an image heavy page: https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=46VoH9in

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 05:15 PM
    You don't seem to know much about mobile development, so this might help. Both WP and iOS don't have true multitasking abilities at the moment. Only some things were allowed to run in the background (VOIP and location-based features) prior to iOS 7. With iOS 7 Apple gave developers a bit more control, apps can now get content from a server at regular intervals or listen to notifications from a server for a maximum of 30 seconds. After that, the app is suspended completely. WP8 has similar limitations. BlackBerry 10 on the other hand has true multitasking abilities. It can run any app for an unlimited period of time (provided you don't close the active frame of course).

As an example, here's something you can't do on iOS at the moment: to build a torrent app that keeps downloading even when the app is not visible.

Posted via CB10
    Shouldn't you still be trying to tell me that your Lumia can't play YouTube videos in the background right now even though I know that it can?

Thanks for trying to be helpful I guess, but you certainly didn't tell me anything I didn't already know and I don't think I need any help from you. After all, a few moments ago you don't even understand what your own devices are capable of.
    12-28-13 05:20 PM
    Shouldn't you still be trying to tell me that your Lumia can't play YouTube videos in the background right now even though I know that it can?

Thanks for trying to be helpful I guess, but you certainly didn't tell me anything I didn't already know and I don't think I need any help from you. After all, a few moments ago you don't even understand what your own devices are capable of.
    But it can't! I have it in front of me right now and videos are being paused no matter what app I use: browser, myTube, YouTube, etc. It's a limitation of the OS, it's just not possible at the moment.

I hope you are not talking about the "resume as audio in background" setting, because, as the name suggests, that is not the same as playing videos in the background. It's a workaround. It switches from a video feed to an audio feed and back. That is why there is a one second gap (it's buffering the new feed).

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 05:30 PM
    That's total BS, when it comes to business use. At least as far as the iPhone goes. I am a student of both BB10 and iOS. The iPhone is a better entertainment device, but can't touch the Q10 in productivity.
    At the end of the day you can do vastly more with iOS or Android than BB because of the software that runs on them. And that is the bottom line, not some artificial distinction of what is in the OS or in an app.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 05:30 PM
    That's total BS, when it comes to business use. At least as far as the iPhone goes. I am a student of both BB10 and iOS. The iPhone is a better entertainment device, but can't touch the Q10 in productivity.

Posted via CB10
    No, we have had this discussion before. That may be true based on how you define productivity and your subjective personal preferences. But it is simply not true in general in any objective way. The wide range of business apps for the iPhone make it far more capable in general for productivity because it gives people far more choices for productivity software. And as far as email, at least on Exchange they are more or less then same. There are reasons so few people are buying these things.
    12-28-13 05:35 PM
    No, we have had this discussion before. That may be true based on how you define productivity and your subjective personal preferences. But it is simply not true in general in any objective way. The wide range of business apps for the iPhone make it far more capable in general for productivity because it gives people far more choices for productivity software. And as far as email, at least on Exchange they are more or less then same. There are reasons so few people are buying these things.
    How are they the same if I can't add an attachment to an email? Don't tell me you've never had the need to attach something to an email from your iPhone because I will simply not believe that.
    You can't even insert a bullet point list into an email, no text formatting at all. You can't even set the importance to high.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 05:39 PM
    But it can't! I have it in front of me right now and videos are being paused no matter what app I use: browser, myTube, YouTube, etc. It's a limitation of the OS, it's just not possible at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    Do you have the latest version of myTube? It is for Windows Phone 8 and it will play YouTube videos in the background. I'm using it right now on my 521 and I can hear the audio without being in the app. I'm pretty sure I didn't drop acid recently so I dunno.

Edit:

This is the app I'm using. It is advertised as being able to play YouTube videos in the background and it does. Maybe you have the wrong app.

Killer features in BB10 vs iPhone?-screenshot_2013-12-28-18-47-31.png
    12-28-13 05:44 PM
    Do you have the latest version of myTube? It is for Windows Phone 8 and it will play YouTube videos in the background. I'm using it right now on my 521 and I can hear the audio without being in the app. I'm pretty sure I didn't drop acid recently so I dunno.
    I edited my post. Please read it.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 05:49 PM
    They are not the same. See above. The iPhone has a built in iPod. Sure it's going to sell. But it will never be as productive as the Q10. There is a reason all the big media players still use BlackBerry. And it's just a matter of time before they are all on BB10. Part of that is the keyboard. But the OS shines. It's not dependent on apps.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 05:49 PM
    How are they the same if I can't add an attachment to an email? Don't tell me you've never had the need to attach something to an email from your iPhone because I will simply not believe that.
    You can't even insert a bullet point list into an email, no text formatting at all. You can't even set the importance to high.

Posted via CB10

So I used my iPhone to send a PDF from the phone using my Exchange account, to my gmail account. Worked fine. Then I sent a word document on my Dropbox account to my gmail account using my Exchange account. It worked fine. I'm not sure I get it. Also, forwarding documents or opening in Pages, editing and then sending on as a Word, PDF or a few other formats works fine also.
    12-28-13 06:08 PM
527 ... 678910 ...