So I did some research, turns out iOS already does do YouTube videos in the background.

I am not an iOS users, so I always assumed it couldn't do it since so many here love to claim that it can't. I found several YouTube videos of iOS playing a YouTube video in the background. I guess we need to take away one of BlackBerry 10's "killer features" now.
    Hahaha! Not really the same, is it? On a BlackBerry you minimise the app and the video is still playing without having to press anything. On an iPhone you have to press play again from the quick settings menu which is not visible by default. So that's 2 extra actions: a swipe to open the menu and a tap. Also, what happens when you open a new tab in the browser? I'll tell you, anything that was running in the first tab will stop (video, scripts, animations, etc.).

Posted via CB10
    axeman1000 likes this.
    12-27-13 04:22 AM
    I think it would've helped to define what 'killer' meant within this context. I know for me, adding attachments natively to emails or having a USB interface, flash or hub, does not come under what I would define as killer, by any stretch.

I would define killer as something so epic, to demolish any ability of a comeback. I've not seen anything that would meet that definition so far. Although I can fully understand that other users here have their own softer interpretations of that word.
    I agree, but something as basic as sending a file over Bluetooth or being able to attach any type of file to an email can be a killer feature (that demolishes the competition) if it's completely nonexistent on the other platform. I honestly don't understand how you can label a phone smart without such basic features.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 04:37 AM
    Please proofread your posts before submission, sir/madam.

Additionally, my post did not in any way/shape/form/theme hate on blackberry whatsoever. I am at a loss as to how you reached your conclusion.

In fact, I own more BB devices than Apple ones.
    Why don't you answer our questions if you are still here? What made you say we are uneducated when it comes to iOS? Everything said in this thread so far about iOS is true as far as I can tell.

Posted via CB10
    axeman1000 likes this.
    12-27-13 04:40 AM
    Simple things like sharing a photo to apps. iPhone can only do it to a limited few, whereas BB10 really excels in this.

There must be numerous other reasons, but I can't stand spending more than a few minutes on an iPhone to find out.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, sharing stuff between apps is horrible on iOS. And the lack of a file system only makes it worse. For example, did you know that on iOS you can't upload a .pdf or .doc file to a web form?

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 04:49 AM
    Cutting edge RF - Paratek radio on the Z30
    Very fast LTE support
    Time shift
    Remote file access
    No interruption in your tunes when listening in your car and text comes in.
    On Z30, Natural Sound
    With 10.2.1 around the corner (here now with leaks) - best of BlackBerry and Droid running on same device ;-)
    Team BlackBerry
    So much more........

The Apple has fallen from the tree, now in the process of being consumed by BlackBerries ;-)
    12-27-13 07:25 AM
    What about it? Just the peek / fast switching features or do they not even have a unified inbox?

Posted via CB10

You have the option of a unified inbox on iphone but it is only for mail. Text messages are not there which is something I like about BB. On the other hand, I have a VIP mailbox built-in to iOS and can put emails from select people there. There is an app to do that in BB but I don't see it built in. I actually subscribe to a service that scans my emails for certain classes of message; such as from specific people and domains and people on my calendar for the current day and a few other thing and when those come it notifies my by an alert (it will also send a text or even call me I think) and puts them in an app on the iPhone.
    12-27-13 07:38 AM
    All modern devices have similar capabilities. The "killer" feature is something you need right now that your device can do but the other can't do. Since iPhone has many, many limitations not found on BlackBerry, the odds are BlackBerry is going to be able to do something you need when iPhone can't. The two things iOS fans will always tout are apps and simplicity. It has many apps. As people who are serious BlackBerry users know how to load Android apps, that is less of an advantage. Simplicity. Yes it is easy to use, which means it's also limited. If people want or need simplicity, they have a good choice in iPhone. If, however, they want capability, BlackBerry is a better choice.

So what is the "killer feature"? For me, it was USB Host Mode when I needed it (Z30 only). If I'm deep in the woods and a blizzard is coming, great connectivity may be a capability I really need. If I walk down to Tim Horton's after a night of drinking but have forgotten my wallet, NFC might be an feature I really need. If my mom want's to call her friend, the iPhone might be a better choice, but she has a landline phone on the end table next to her favorite seat. If my company insists I use some app not available on the BlackBerry, there is a better than 50% chance I can run the Android version. Bottom line is, there is NOTHING the iPhone brings I can't get elsewhere. There are, however, things the BlackBerry brings I can't get on the iPhone.
    axeman1000 and Vorkosigan like this.
    12-27-13 07:48 AM
    I think you just about summed it up except one of my favorites, when I'm reading articles, it's called Reader mode. I enjoyed it since the playbook OS, It is also on BB10 and it's a very useful feature, somehow you can shrink an article and make it fit to your screen while you're reading on your phone or playbook!! Oh and with 10.2 I'm able to not only get toast notification, I can also reply to the notification without even leaving whatever app I was in when it arrived...
    12-27-13 07:55 AM
    You have the option of a unified inbox on iphone but it is only for mail. Text messages are not there which is something I like about BB. On the other hand, I have a VIP mailbox built-in to iOS and can put emails from select people there. There is an app to do that in BB but I don't see it built in. I actually subscribe to a service that scans my emails for certain classes of message; such as from specific people and domains and people on my calendar for the current day and a few other thing and when those come it notifies my by an alert (it will also send a text or even call me I think) and puts them in an app on the iPhone.
    The VIP mailbox sounds a lot like BlackBerry's Priority Inbox.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    12-27-13 08:07 AM
    Hahaha! Not really the same, is it? On a BlackBerry you minimise the app and the video is still playing without having to press anything. On an iPhone you have to press play again from the quick settings menu which is not visible by default. So that's 2 extra actions: a swipe to open the menu and a tap. Also, what happens when you open a new tab in the browser? I'll tell you, anything that was running in the first tab will stop (video, scripts, animations, etc.).

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I agree. They aren't really the same. The way it works on iOS is better and seems more useful. With iOS, the video pauses automatically for you, like it should, but users have the option to let it play again without going back into the browser. Need to pause it again? That's not a problem either. That is a good thing in my opinion. Sometimes you may leave a video that you were actually WATCHING. With iOS, you won't miss a second of the video, but can still play it in the background if you want.

The way BlackBerry 10 does it seems more like a unfinished browser than anything else. Honestly folks, it is harder to make the video pause in the background than it is to leave it playing. The same with tabbed multitasking. This so-called feature of BlackBerry 10 that fans love and brag so much about probably only exists because they didn't take the time to add the code to cause the video to pause once it exists the foreground.

The feature in iOS actually behaves like a purposefully built feature. Either way, we now have evidence of how easy it is to play a YouTube video in the background. No micro kernel needed. It is so easy, even iOS can do it.
    Last edited by Saiga; 12-27-13 at 08:41 AM.
    12-27-13 08:26 AM
    Multitasking in BB10 (and BBOS before that) is not something BB users think about. It's just there. It's like breathing, you never think about it but when you can't, you notice it. When I want to open an App or check the Hub, I just do it. When I need another app, if it's running I open it, if not, I start it. Natural, no thinking about it. If I need to copy content from one app to another, I go to the provider app, cut and paste into the clipboard or use the Share option as appropriate. Again, we don't think how cool this is, we just use the phone. That is how it should work, and it does.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    12-27-13 08:56 AM
    Posted using BlackBerry Q10
    12-27-13 09:27 AM
    Question...for all you Verizon CDMA users like me. on BlackBerry 10's can talk and surf the net at the same time. Talk on speaker and look up a restaurant? Yep, I don't know why but BlackBerry 10 on Verizon can use talk and data together and iPhone cannot.

Posted via my ridiculous BlackBerry Z30 on VZW from Philly
    I think you need to be on wifi to do that. I could be wrong. I haven't tried it on BB10 yet.
    12-27-13 09:54 AM
    Question...for all you Verizon CDMA users like me. on BlackBerry 10's can talk and surf the net at the same time. Talk on speaker and look up a restaurant? Yep, I don't know why but BlackBerry 10 on Verizon can use talk and data together and iPhone cannot.

Posted via my ridiculous BlackBerry Z30 on VZW from Philly
    Verizon is [almost] completely LTE now. LTE allows phone calls and data at the same time. The restriction of CDMA is for the most part gone now.
    Saiga likes this.
    12-27-13 09:59 AM
    LTE allows phone calls and data at the same time.
    Well I don't know about that... I'm ALWAYS on 3G and always browse the web while on the phone... Heck I was even doing it with my 9700...

Bell canada
    miker476 likes this.
    12-27-13 10:36 AM
    Well I don't know about that... I'm ALWAYS on 3G and always browse the web while on the phone... Heck I was even doing it with my 9700...

Bell canada
    I don't think he was saying it's exclusive to LTE, just saying that now that they are on LTE and not CDMA, they will also have that feature.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-27-13 10:50 AM
    My Z10 has it, but I'm running a "released" leak 10.2.0.429 OS version. Join the leaks! It's worth it. In a few days the rumor is that the next official release will be out.
    12-27-13 10:59 AM
    Never been an iphone user so don't know the answer, but what are the top features you demonstrate on BlackBerry 10 to wow the iPhone fan boys. What do we have that they don't?

My thoughts...

NFC
    Better keyboard

Posted via CB10
    Why do you care? Are you in the business of selling BlackBerrys? Why do you want to "wow the iPhone fan boys"?
    12-27-13 11:06 AM
    HUB
    Agree. But for some reason this doesn't resonate with anyone to whom I demonstrate it. I find that odd.

Blackberry Travel - Friends who have gone over to Apple miss BB Travel
    You must be kidding me. There are numerous apps that will do this on an iPhone.

BBM Channels
    Yawn. A complete waste of BlackBerry's time and money.

- Voice and Video calls
    Only to other BlackBerry's. Heard of Skype? FaceTime?

Removable Battery
    Agree, but not a wow feature to the average user.

Memory Card
    Agree, but not a wow feature to the average user.

HDMI port is one that's pretty cool.
    12-27-13 11:09 AM
    Can use a mouse

Posted via CB10
    Oh yeah, that will sell them.
    12-27-13 11:13 AM
    I just use my phone, and I let them use theirs�. and occasionally when they want to bring up me making the wrong purchase..or send pictures of the old cordless phones, I simply send pictures of my phone sending video to my tv while i text them the picture of my phone sending video to the tv and that usually shuts them up for a few seconds
    12-27-13 11:14 AM
    This is slightly off topic but, CDMA was only used by Sprint and Verizon in the states. I think a Japanese carrier used it also. Maybe a few other markets. Everywhere else was GSM and then HSPA. Now, most established market countries are on or going to LTE. If you had a GSM/HSPA phone, you have ALWAYS been able to talk and use data at the same time. Sprint and Verizon are mostly off CDMA now so the simultaneous use of voice and data is supported.

There are still many, many iPhones in the world that don't do LTE. For those iPhones on Verizon (without LTE), they cannot do voice and data together. This is also true of older BlackBerrys, Androids, etc... If they don't do LTE and are on Verizon (or Sprint) they will be restricted to voice or data (unless they have Wi-Fi which allows data with voice).

Does that clear it up? Wait, but I'm in Canada and my iPhone has always been able to do voice and data. Yep. That's because Canada has ALWAYS been GSM/HSPA/LTE.
    Let's not forget the Reply Now feature, Time Shift, and the built in photo editor.
    True, because no one using an iPhone is ever able to edit a picture.
    The Calendar Share/integration with the phone, along with Task, Notes, etc. You can share anything... text, emails, web sites to the Calendar using BlackBerry Remember.

For those that rely heavy on their Calendar, it can't be beat. Nothing like this on iPhones.

Posted via CB10
    Nice. I'll try to Remember that.
    12-27-13 11:16 AM
    Your two articles are old. Is this still a problem with iOS 7? Would be nice to have some recent mentions of this problem.
    12-27-13 11:19 AM
527 ... 34567 ...