I can't for the life of me figure out what do when the predictive text doesn't know what to do with a word. For a quick example;

Earlier I was trying to use the word "grampa" which for those in other countries is an American word that means my father's father. BlackBerry didn't know the word. It underlined it. There were no suggestions on the keyboard. If I clicked the space bar it changed it into two other words. If I clicked it where it was underlined a circle appeared and I couldn't seem to make the circle do much of anything. This keeps happening with really any type of slang word that I try to use. I feel like I'm a pretty smart person and blackberry expert but this is really throwing me off. I've tried searching but haven't found anything.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    03-25-13 07:01 AM
    Well "Grampa" is really grandpa, but if you want the former, the word you typed shows above the space bar where you can just flick it up. After a couple of times of doing this, it will learn that you intend to spell it that way.

Posted via CB10
    bluetroll and Vorkosigan like this.
    03-25-13 07:09 AM
    I don't have this problem at all. If "add to dictionary" option isn't available when you tap on the underlined word, you can follow the link below as alternative.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=774727

Or I basically swipe up on the space bar for any words that aren't in dictionary. Then it won't auto correct these words in the future.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 07:11 AM
    If you type an unknown/incorrect word, the space bar will replace it, but you should see the word you typed above the space bar - you can swipe the space bar word up to use the unknown word.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 07:12 AM
    The slang or new word should appear above the space bar along with the suggested word, simply flick up and the slang should be left alone, if u tap then the suggested word will be used, but using the delete button should restore the word and then you move on.

The red dots means a spelling error, but by tapping the word, you should get the bubble and the indication of the dictionary - you can then ad the word to your dictionary for future use.
    Hope this helps
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    03-25-13 07:13 AM
    For me, when I misspell a word and want to fix it or add it to the dictionary, oftentimes the Add to Dictionary thing doesn't pop up when I tap on the word. It will either minimise or open the keyboard, highlight the whole word, or bring up the circle. It seems as if it's by chance that the Add to Dictionary pops up. I've tried everything, long tap, short tap, moving the curser away first, extra spaces, periods, highlighting the word first, etc. Again, just by chance. :/ I know I can manually add words in the settings app, but this isn't ideal.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 04:51 PM
    What if bird is the word

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    03-25-13 05:25 PM
    yes, the space bar has a suggestion in blue which will correct your word if you press it, but it should the word you typed should be above the space bar, meaning you can flick it up and you will see the word you meant to type in the message, in this case "grampa"
    03-25-13 05:44 PM
    What if bird is the word

Posted via CB10

LOFL!
    06-25-13 03:10 PM
    I am having the same issue but with the Q10. It is not intuitive how to type a word u really wanna type (slang) w/o the phone trying to (or automatically!) changing it to something totally different. And i can't click "Add to dictionary" once i tap it, b/c the BlackBerry has already changed it to some other word! Can someone please explain.... i can't even find the predictive text settings/dictionary. Where is it??
    06-25-13 03:13 PM
    When the auto correct changes your word just swipe to the left on your keyboard and it changes it back to your original word.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 09:19 PM
    Haha, I know how frustrating it can be, sometimes you just have to be firm with the keyboard and insist on typing what you want - it eventually let's you do it your way.
    06-27-13 02:18 AM
    Haha, I know how frustrating it can be, sometimes you just have to be firm with the keyboard and insist on typing what you want - it eventually let's you do it your way.
    Or you can just read one of the 20 posts in this thread detailing how you have to swipe up on the keyboard

Posted via Z10
    06-27-13 03:43 AM