Thanks for sharing your backup workflow.

How do you add the recent application data to your old backups? From what I understand, if you have a clan backup that dates back from May and you only add two apps, you would log those two apps in your diary. For exameple, if you do your initial backup in May and you need to restore your May backup, you will have to add the two new apps manually. However, if you restore your May backup the app data files that were changed singe May will be out of date. Your app settings, high scores for games, new passwords in password keeper, or remember notes will all be out of date. How do you add the app data files in to your May backup?
    08-05-14 09:59 AM
    Thanks for sharing your backup workflow.

How do you add the recent application data to your old backups? From what I understand, if you have a clan backup that dates back from May and you only add two apps, you would log those two apps in your diary. For exameple, if you do your initial backup in May and you need to restore your May backup, you will have to add the two new apps manually. However, if you restore your May backup the app data files that were changed singe May will be out of date. Your app settings, high scores for games, new passwords in password keeper, or remember notes will all be out of date. How do you add the app data files in to your May backup?
    As a fail-safe, do a full backup first, so that if the following procedure doesn't work you can at least recover the status quo. Also, document every step that you do in your diary as you do them.

=====================

Before doing a factory reset go to Link / Back Up & Restore / Custom Backup / Configuration

Check the appropriate options and make a selective backup.

Do your factory reset and restore your last full backup (not the fail-safe backup that you just did, but the last one in your diary).

Add your diary additions including your new app installs.

Now restore your custom backup that you just did - hopefully all app data will be restored up to date.

I would expect this to address your problems, but I honestly do not know how thorough BB has been in setting up the harvesting and restoring of selective data from apps in their backup system. If you are not satisfied, you can at least reload the fail-safe backup that you did before you began this procedure and you are back to the status quo.

In my XP backup/restore system I also have a list of programs that I must selectively backup and then restore by themselves to save up to date data. With Windows drag and drop or cut and paste onto another hard drive usually does it, but for Outlook, as an example, I have to make a separate backup, do my overall restore, and then restore the separate Outlook backup. Unfortunately these kind of complications are inevitable. That is another reason why the diary is so important. You can always create redundancies (like a fail-safe backup) and retrace your footsteps if things don't go as you desire. The diary keeps you informed as to what you have done, and how to reverse things if they go wrong, or what to do the next time if they go right.

As an alternative, a BB10 geek could probably glean out and replace the appropriate data with Ghost Commander, but that is beyond me or anyone I know.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
    Last edited by Axacta; 08-05-14 at 08:52 PM.
    08-05-14 08:29 PM
    I have just come across an app that may be a useful addition for your backup system. I haven't used it myself, but it looks promising and the few comments I've read about it in the forums seemed pretty positive.

Backup Pro - BlackBerry World
    10-12-14 12:13 PM
    I have to be fair, this is no 'special fix'. Of course a factory reset is helping to clean your phone and increase performance. But that's basically all you're saying, just in a long story. Am I right?

Posted via CB10
    anon9111501 likes this.
    10-12-14 12:25 PM
    I have to be fair, this is no 'special fix'. Of course a factory reset is helping to clean your phone and increase performance. But that's basically all you're saying, just in a long story. Am I right?
    The thread explains itself. If you can't understand it, I am sorry, but I am not going to re-explain it for you. I suggest that you find other threads that are more to your level of comprehension.
    shivaji and shivaji like this.
    10-12-14 01:50 PM
    Agree with you,
    factory reset is loading the debrik os and all is fresh to go.

But OP wants to show a new approach to find those bad programmed Crap Apps ( write the diary ).

2 Axacta: You can't really tweak the "BB OS" settings by Ghost Commander or Total Commander
    at the filesystem level ( like tweaking Windows .cfg/.ini files : you need ROOT access to do it.
    No Android App could do this, because these Apps run in a seperated enviroment on the OS.
    Blackberry do this for security reasons...
    10-13-14 03:02 PM
    2 Axacta: You can't really tweak the "BB OS" settings by Ghost Commander or Total Commander
    at the filesystem level ( like tweaking Windows .cfg/.ini files : you need ROOT access to do it.
    No Android App could do this, because these Apps run in a seperated enviroment on the OS.
    Blackberry do this for security reasons...
    I only mentioned Ghost Commander in response to extracting and backing up app data. Not sure if this is applicable or convenient even for a BB10 Geek.

But yeah, I know that OS manipulation is not possible in BB10 except for the setting options offered. Too bad. I think BB has gone too far in restricting OS tweaking. They don't even allow Services options, hard drive snapshots, or external encryption like TrueCrypt, all of which would in effect allow for an even more secure device. Makes no sense if their main goal is safety of data and security.

Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by Axacta; 10-14-14 at 12:40 AM.
    10-14-14 12:23 AM
    I only mentioned Ghost Commander in response to extracting and backing up app data
    Ya, i read it. I tryed Ghost Commander and Total Commander. I used TC at some Andoid Phones. There is an option to gain root with TC with some java tricks, but its only bad ported from APK to BAR and not native for Blackberry. Means, no working root access, they forgot to removed it for blackberrys. But if noone rooted the BB10s there is no chance to do...

Their main goal is to sell devices, and hold other costs flat as possible.
    To restrict file access they make sure to get no more broken devices back from noobs.
    10-14-14 03:29 AM
    Their main goal is to sell devices, and hold other costs flat as possible.
    To restrict file access they make sure to get no more broken devices back from noobs.
    Yeah, I suppose you are correct. However, most of the tweaks that I would desire do not require root level access. I think BB is being just a little paranoid in some of their restrictions. Additionally, allowing for the use of hard drive and folder snapshots via a program like Acronis greatly simplifies and quickens backup up, maintenance and restoring from program conflicts that freeze, slow down or glitch a device. (If they won't allow third party snapshot access they should provide the option themselves built in.) The system that I describe in this thread works, but is necessarily cumbersome and slow compared to my Windows system because of BB's unnecessarily severe restrictions. Windows gets bashed as being insecure, but it is a tweaker's delight, allowing for literally thousands of available tweaks without requiring any coding ability. And once it is tweaked properly, it is as secure (and maybe more so) as any OS out there - at least my XP is (IMO).
    10-14-14 09:59 AM
    ...allowing for the use of hard drive and folder snapshots via a program like Acronis...
    You are right ! There is a RIM Command Line Programming Tool CFP.EXE ( not the function reduced CAP.exe ) which is used for flashing firmware at low level. There were some commands i remember
    to read a given device area and save this ( dump ). You can also write the dump back again at the given area. It should act like like like a ""forensic backup"" BUT I NEVER TESTED this.

I have collected tons of .reg files and many manuals, tweaking articles above the windows registry. Its a little shame that we can't get our fingers on the intresting parts of the BB filesystem
    and do some "research in motion". Android scene like the cyanogen crew did a great job and
    all the adroid programmers out there suffer from this work. There are many people who want to revive the BlackBerry Playbook with a Custom Firmware, but Blackberry protects his copyright.
    This is ok and now we are stuck... they should leak an last Bootloader open image and all are
    happy.
    10-14-14 06:22 PM
    The system that I describe in this thread works, but is necessarily cumbersome and slow compared to my Windows system because of BB's unnecessarily severe restrictions. Windows gets bashed as being insecure, but it is a tweaker's delight, allowing for literally thousands of available tweaks without requiring any coding ability. And once it is tweaked properly, it is as secure (and maybe more so) as any OS out there - at least my XP is (IMO).
    Windows is a tweaker's delight??? Well, you may have more fun with Linux which store their configuration in many files with detailed comment while being more secure than XP and doesn't break as often as Windows because they have manual for every single component and how to tweak them(no programming skills needed). Also, component can be replaced with things you like

BlackBerry isn't allow tweaking for many reasons. For example :
    1. Playing with Services may break your device. Also you need to have control to service managing daemon which runs as root -> you need root.
    2. BlackBerry is designed for business users and tweaking can lower security (even if you don't use it) and also can breaks your device

Tweaking is fun, but without knowing the source code, they can harm your device. Consider get an Android device if you wanted to tweak stuff.

However, I would like them to allow us to do data backup with encryption on the phone and provides encryption utils to encrypt files and texts before uploading to the clouds or emailing.

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    10-15-14 12:00 AM
    You are right ! There is a RIM Command Line Programming Tool CFP.EXE ( not the function reduced CAP.exe ) which is used for flashing firmware at low level. There were some commands i remember
    to read a given device area and save this ( dump ). You can also write the dump back again at the given area. It should act like like like a ""forensic backup"" BUT I NEVER TESTED this.

I have collected tons of .reg files and many manuals, tweaking articles above the windows registry. Its a little shame that we can't get our fingers on the intresting parts of the BB filesystem
    and do some "research in motion". Android scene like the cyanogen crew did a great job and
    all the adroid programmers out there suffer from this work. There are many people who want to revive the BlackBerry Playbook with a Custom Firmware, but Blackberry protects his copyright.
    This is ok and now we are stuck... they should leak an last Bootloader open image and all are
    happy.
    It makes no sense to me why they don't allow snapshots for security, maintenance, insurance and for creating new devices or modifying BYOD. Their solution through Link is horrible with few options and is very slow.
    10-15-14 10:16 AM
    Windows is a tweaker's delight??? Well, you may have more fun with Linux which store their configuration in many files with detailed comment while being more secure than XP and doesn't break as often as Windows because they have manual for every single component and how to tweak them(no programming skills needed). Also, component can be replaced with things you like
    I have tried Linux a couple of times over the years and didn't like it for many reasons (nothing against Linux - just not for me). I am not a Geek. Mostly I found Windows much more intuitive to understand and adjust. Also, I daytrade, and some programs are Windows only.

BlackBerry isn't allow tweaking for many reasons. For example :
    1. Playing with Services may break your device. Also you need to have control to service managing daemon which runs as root -> you need root.
    2. BlackBerry is designed for business users and tweaking can lower security (even if you don't use it) and also can breaks your device

Tweaking is fun, but without knowing the source code, they can harm your device. Consider get an Android device if you wanted to tweak stuff.
    Well now with my backup system, breaking your device is not a worry. A snapshot system with Acronis would make this even easier, faster and allow fixes even if the device would not fully start, as with Windows.

However, I would like them to allow us to do data backup with encryption on the phone and provides encryption utils to encrypt files and texts before uploading to the clouds or emailing.
    I would love to have TrueCrypt as an option. I use it for almost all of my encryption on my XP rig. The information I deal with is often sensitive. It would make my phone much more useful for me, especially now that Blend is here. Again I ask, since BB is so fixated on security, why do they leave out this option that is used by so many?
    Last edited by Axacta; 10-15-14 at 10:44 AM.
    10-15-14 10:33 AM
    BlackBerry is designed for business users
    Are these Devices really for business use ??

If you are for example at a BES then you could be right,
    because BB OS integrates fine and safe into the network
    if the required structure exists. You are extra protected
    by the "Balance Sandbox" and have some extra functions
    using your work-network.

If you are not on such a structure, i guess the Crackberry
    mass here, you have only a normal stylish looking phone
    like all other brands with:
    E-Mail, Camera, Browser, Music Player, GPS,
    WLan, Bluetooth, NFC, Calender, Disney BBM Stickers...

These Media Features are not really needed by the
    BUSINESS MASS. NFC is for paying consumers, too.
    Business mass needs Phone, Calender, E-Mail, Browser
    and something for the safe intranet work. Oh, i have
    forgotten the calculator! These elements you get with
    EVERY Smartphone out there. ( ...not the VTech for Kids, lol )

I remind myself someone here posted some days ago
    the BB Devices he has at his military use are
    "very different" looking and miles away from our
    "business phones". This is the market BB wants become
    a rock. Consumers, some Business people and the big
    military use with custom Firmwares or not, like the
    modded german SecuSmart devices used by
    NATO/military etc.
    For these Players the Backups are made, without BB Link...
    10-15-14 07:08 PM
    ... you may have more fun with Linux which store their configuration in many files with detailed comment...
    You are right.
    Linux could far better be tweaked from ground
    off ( building new kernels, rewriting code etc. )
    because it is open source. And thats the point:

Linux and BBs QNX ( some speak it QNIX ! ) are both
    TaTaTaa : Derivates of UNIX. If you don't trust me
    compare the file and folder structure as a basic.
    Now we know QNX has the potential to be
    tweaked like LINUX, but it's NO Open Source
    and forbidden by BB.
    10-15-14 07:59 PM

This may all sound complicated, but once it became a routine it is all actually pretty simple and quick to do. I don't even think about this stuff any more - I just do it. It provides me some peace of mind in a digital world that seems to create anxiety on a regular basis.
    Wow. I'd love to see you create some videos documenting not only the process for optimizing your phone, but also about how you secure and manage data in your day to day life.

Seems you have a different sort of disposition than most, but we could probably learn a lot from you. Reading about it is good for the details, but seeing it helps to understand more fully.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 08:53 PM
    Wow. I'd love to see you create some videos documenting not only the process for optimizing your phone, but also about how you secure and manage data in your day to day life.

Seems you have a different sort of disposition than most, but we could probably learn a lot from you. Reading about it is good for the details, but seeing it helps to understand more fully.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but this thread has already consumed much more of my time than I anticipated. I am a VERY busy person, juggling a number of projects at the same time. That's why I tried to hand this idea off to some power user or geek or even BlackBerry earlier in the thread.

This system does need to be developed more. It is just something I created when I realized that my XP system could not be directly adapted to be used with BB10, after I had foolishly boasted that I could whip up a system in my introduction thread to CrackBerry [palm meet forehead]. I've only been using it a few months. And I am not a power user by any definition. I find my Z10 much too restricting for the work that I do to be of any real use (perhaps a Passport might suit me a little better).

There may be unforeseen glitches in this system that may cause serious problems for power users, or it may be just too time consuming or even too scary for people with a lot of important app data. I am not in a position to explore these aspects. Really, this is where BB should be stepping in and filling the void with their resources. Backup and restore is poorly executed in BB10. They need to fix it and develop a system that will maintain the OS and offer an ability to back out of glitches that slow down or otherwise compromise the OS without having to wipe the phone clean and start all over. My system addresses this somewhat, but it is hardly an ideal solution. At the moment it just seems to be the only one available (at least that I know of).
    10-16-14 11:46 AM
42 12