When I received the device, I used the autoloader for BlackBerry OS 10.3.3.2205 as soon as I turned on the phone in order to factory reset everything. However, when I got to the BB ID login, the Classic noted that the anti-theft protection has been turned on.

I sent an eBay message to the seller about the issue. However, the seller is a storefront (98% positive rating), and they replied that they do not know the previous owner and is otherwise unable to help me.

I also called into BB technical support (incident-based support for $35). Even though the IMEI is clean and I can provide proof of purchase with a government-issued ID, they are not able to bypass the anti-theft protection without knowing the BB ID of the previous owner.

This device is in such great condition for a used phone. Is there any other solution to this other than to open an eBay dispute and force a return? Is there any way to figure out who the previous owner was and reach out to them directly?
    08-25-17 10:39 AM
    there have been reports of some people getting around that, but only on devices with pre-10.3.3 OS.

however, as it's a anti-theft feature, there won't be any how-to articles on the blogs.
    08-25-17 11:11 AM
    Same situation happened in case of my father in law's Q5. He gave it to my brother in law. Bil turned anti theft and the forgot the password of his BlackBerry id. When he reset the phone it's locked forever. So I don't think there is any other way to break the code.

Posted from my beloved  Q10  which is as awesome as my gf..
    08-25-17 11:32 AM
    When I received the device, I used the autoloader for BlackBerry OS 10.3.3.2205 as soon as I turned on the phone in order to factory reset everything. However, when I got to the BB ID login, the Classic noted that the anti-theft protection has been turned on.

I sent an eBay message to the seller about the issue. However, the seller is a storefront (98% positive rating), and they replied that they do not know the previous owner and is otherwise unable to help me.

I also called into BB technical support (incident-based support for $35). Even though the IMEI is clean and I can provide proof of purchase with a government-issued ID, they are not able to bypass the anti-theft protection without knowing the BB ID of the previous owner.

This device is in such great condition for a used phone. Is there any other solution to this other than to open an eBay dispute and force a return? Is there any way to figure out who the previous owner was and reach out to them directly?
    I would raise an eBay dispute. One of the things second hand retailers need to do, especially for smart-phones, is make sure the item can be re-used.

There may have been a way to identify the previous user before you used the autoloader. But if BlackBerry can't link the BBID through the PIN or IMEI there is probably nothing that anyone can do.
    08-25-17 01:15 PM
    File a claim with ebay. As seller-hostile as ebay is, you shouldn't have much problem getting your money back.
    08-25-17 01:34 PM
    I would *first* talk to the seller and ask for a refund/return. Don't harm their reputation needlessly FIRST. If they refuse to help you, THEN file a claim with eBay. But if you were a seller, you'd want a chance to make it right before your customer called down the thunder on you.
    08-25-17 10:19 PM
    I would *first* talk to the seller and ask for a refund/return. Don't harm their reputation needlessly FIRST. If they refuse to help you, THEN file a claim with eBay. But if you were a seller, you'd want a chance to make it right before your customer called down the thunder on you.
    If the seller had already offered a return and refund when contacted, as they should have -- they could have offered to pay for the call to BlackBerry if they wanted to avoid a return -- then I would agree with you. However from what we know I think the OP has given the seller all the latitude he should.
    08-26-17 09:35 AM
    If the seller had already offered a return and refund when contacted, as they should have -- they could have offered to pay for the call to BlackBerry if they wanted to avoid a return -- then I would agree with you. However from what we know I think the OP has given the seller all the latitude he should.
    He hasn't asked if he can simply return the device for a refund. Given that the seller has a 98% positive rating, they may be happy to take the device back, since it is genuinely unusable.

Most legit sellers will post an image of the set up screen upon request to confirm the anti-theft won't be an issue. If their volume is too high for that, but they guaranteed the phone to be in usable condition, they will likely accept a return.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-27-17 01:10 PM
    Not trying to cause any arguments but I have personally used an old 10.3.1 autoloader on a passport and classic to test this feature. After flashing I setup the phone and flashed a 10.3.3 autoloader and it was good. Others claim this doesn't work but I have done it twice and helped someone on reddit do it once. Take my experience as you will.

BB10 will outlast Android! Just you wait! Stage 1: denial
    08-27-17 03:49 PM
    I had this issue and even though the previous owner disabled anti-theft remotely, I couldnt proceed with set-up until he gave me his bbid password...then he changed it.

Posted via CBX
    08-28-17 01:34 PM