A few weeks after I got my Z10, a friend went to Verizon and bought a Galaxy S4. We are in the car together and he is messing with my Z10, asking me "how do I do this? How do I do that? There's no home button." After about 15 minutes, he asked me to run him to his house to get his Verizon receipt and boxes for his Galaxy S4. I asked why, and he said "I want to go to T-Mobile and get a Z10". Well yesterday, he was on the fence between a Galaxy S7 and Priv. He tested the S7 out, and we hung out and he messed with my Priv, and he said "it's close to BB10, but it's still android... but it feels more functional than the S7 I had. I wish BB10 had the apps to keep them afloat." This got me thinking...

After Apple released the first iPhone, and the HTC Dream (the first commercially available android phone) were released, what if BlackBerry woke up? What if CEOs Balsillie and Lazaridis made a push to not go to the same constant half PKB/half screen phones (the Storm and Storm 2 aside, obvious flops) and immediately went towards the design of the Z10/Q10?

Would the applications and software have kept BlackBerry from falling into a seemingly deep abyss? Would it have prevented Apple from becoming the conglomerate that excels in marketing inferior products to dummies who want to be hip and with the times? Could it have prevented Google from becoming as large as it is in this market?

The way I'm thinking, and this is obviously little more than hind sight being 20/20... is that BlackBerry counted on their name keeping them afloat, even with products that were inferior to the competition for the average consumer. Had BlackBerry released something more modern targeted at rivaling iOS and Android, could the biggest name in the smartphone market have kept up with the times, and in turn, kept us from praying they don't close the doors? Could an OS as efficient as the QNX based BB10 have stopped the pissing contest in hardware specifications previously reserved for gaming computers?

I'm not looking to start a flame war, I love BB10, and if there were a more up to date set to be released tomorrow, I would gladly purchase it and consider selling my Priv. I just want to know what the opinion is. Was BlackBerry's name looked at like Buick or Oldsmobile? Sure, they made a competitive product with bells and whistles that performed great, but it felt like their grandfather's brand name? Or did it fall into the abyss because they slept through the smartphone revolution that gave us iOS and Android hogging up 95+ percent of the smartphone market?
    05-22-16 05:07 PM
    Apps my brother. It was apps. Blackberry lose the competition in apps. People rush for android because of apps. Samsung Galaxy S3 still beat Passport Silver Edition today because of apps. iOS beat android because iOS is a better OS. If BlackBerry doesn't have the problem with apps, android will not have any chance to stand between BlackBerry & Apple.

BlackBerry Z10/STL-001/Bb10.3.2.2836
    05-22-16 05:33 PM
    In 2008 BlackBerry didn't have a modern OS to base any of this on. They wouldn't have a modern OS for another 5 years. Add another year for it to be stable.

If they had started working on a modern OS around 2003, this would be a different conversation.
    joeragan likes this.
    05-22-16 05:39 PM
    Apps my brother. It was apps. Blackberry lose the competition in apps. People rush for android because of apps. Samsung Galaxy S3 still beat Passport Silver Edition today because of apps. iOS beat android because iOS is a better OS. If BlackBerry doesn't have the problem with apps, android will not have any chance to stand between BlackBerry & Apple.

I know this. If BlackBerry wasn't so late to the party, the apps would have been there.
    05-22-16 06:43 PM
    Funny fact:
    This is exactly what palm did. Right at the time of the release of the first iphone in 2007, they released their last palmOS device (the centro) and realized that it was quite outdated the moment it got out and that they could not carry on with their old OS. So they really did what you envisoned and went at great length to create the most intuitive and up to date OS. They released it in 2009 as direct competitor of the Iphone.

And we'll you know what became out of palm and webOS. Correct, they are dead. So it would not made have much a difference for BlackBerry either (imho).

Posted via CB10
    05-23-16 01:13 AM
    Both RIM-leaders were under the impression, that everything would remain as it had been and underestimated (just like other players) the need for a platform, supporting numerous apps.

While others did not get it back then, too (Samsung, SonyEricsson and of course Nokia), Blackberry did not want to move to the next step with another OS. There was no need to do so, because security (still and now even more important) and reliability was RIM's big argument. I still remember the days, when the Blackberry service (BIS) did not work for quite some time and all the users were offered free apps. From then on, all my customers began to swear at Blackberry. First and foremost about the not working two days of BIS, moving to "Blackberry is old fashioned", not supporting Apps, like the iPhone or the Samsungdroids.

The reaction to that phenomena took too long with an OS not being fully functional.

I am still with BB10, but will "jump ship" to a Blackberrydroid soon.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-16 01:15 AM

Agree, all about Apps. BlackBerry device with premium look but with poor apps thats why people left BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10 powered by Leap
    05-23-16 01:44 AM
    By the time the Dream became available it was already too late for BB to remain dominant. Google via Android already had a dual-track development system with the pkb Sooner and what later became the Dream when the Iphone was introduced in 2007. The plan was to debut the Sooner which was much like a BB device later in 2007 because it was further along but when Iphone came it that was shelved immediately and all resources went into the touchscreen Dream and we all know the story afterwards.

Even if BB had recognized the landscape in 2008 it would have taken 2-3 years are least to debut a touchscreen phone based on a modern OS. Being then a huge corporation it had all the hallmarks of such behemoths such as lack of ability to fast-track new initiatives and inertia against a major pivot. At best BB would have remained an enterprise leader but the consumer space was lost no matter what.

July 11, 2008. iPhone 3 is released. BlackBerry 10 is out. What happens?-ky3e6n3.jpg
    05-23-16 02:10 AM
    After Apple released the first iPhone, and the HTC Dream (the first commercially available android phone) were released, what if BlackBerry woke up?
    Seriously? This whole post is so ridiculous in the way you have presented it. In the part that I quoted for you, can you see where the glaring mistake is in your thinking? Can anyone? When you all see it just respond with "Got it"
    05-23-16 02:26 AM
    to the op - the whole scenario could have not happened since BB hardly spend money on R&D. And that was BB problem - they are waiting for their OEMS to tell what the next trend is and where they should focus on their effort. After all this is the same company that released the Curve and Pearl - after it was clear to them that consumers were using bb for personal use.
    05-23-16 10:58 AM
    OP and everyone else in this thread, you need to go read Losing The Signal. All the answers you are looking for are there...Great read

Posted via CB10
    NtotheK likes this.
    05-25-16 02:27 PM
    to the op - the whole scenario could have not happened since BB hardly spend money on R&D. And that was BB problem - they are waiting for their OEMS to tell what the next trend is and where they should focus on their effort. After all this is the same company that released the Curve and Pearl - after it was clear to them that consumers were using bb for personal use.
    Pre-Chen, BB did spend a huge amount of R/D relative to the size of the company, its why its patent portofolio is so large. it just wasn't in areas that could make products that consumers wanted. When Chen came aboard he cost-cut R/D and then focused it to fewer areas, as well as everything else to save the company.

2009 685M 2012 1.5 B 2015 711M, 2016 thus far 469M
    Blackberry/RIM's expenditure on research and development from 2009 to 2016
    05-25-16 02:41 PM
    No way a BB10 variant from 2008 would look or feel the same as the one in 2013 (and first version from 2013 was buggy as hell). In 2008 the technology in everything related to mobile was pretty new and bad. You couldn't find hardware in 2008 to run a bb10 version similar to what we have now. It would be just a base OS with some potential.

But we already had that in that time frame. It was called WebOS and we know how that ended up.
    Pcmx likes this.
    05-25-16 04:07 PM
    One year later, they'd release a consumer marketed device that would be the first to offer stiff dedicated media keys, an optical trackpad, an os with text based menus that could be compared to, at the time, a 15 year old win 3.1, and, oh wait.. that's what actually happened (and I actually like that phone ) but it probably wouldn't have changed much as bb battles Nokia in reviews while the widescreen, Internet, phoning iPod and Android onlookers move on.

Now I wonder what if bb went Android and dropped bis at the time as I actually see some similarities with bbos like with how my Samsung had a text menu button, back button, app drawer, widgets, themes, and the like. Since there were a lot of pkbs around at that point, could they have done better without the beloved (to me) qnx as a phone os? Or would they have slipped between the cracks then without sort of standing out as they are in the Android base now?
    05-25-16 09:08 PM
    It doesn't matter on the actual product, it's the marketing machine behind him products that really makes the difference.

Questions that you have to ask is, how did apple get to where they are? How did Samsung get so popular?
    Answer. Target marketed to the masses and not business.

The writing was on the wall when everyone in business held two phones. One BlackBerry for email and work and another for entertainment. That's what the Android and IOS platform built their business on.

Over time IOS and Android email was good enough to handle email this business users started using only one device.

Add the bring you own devices to the table. that made IOS and Android more popular.

I still believe that BlackBerry and Microsoft should join forces, BlackBerry 10 OS is the best flow for all mobile OS platforms, Windows 10 is great for PC based systems but it doesn't flow as well as BB10. If Microsoft can use BlackBerry technology to secure their servers and network for business like BlackBerry does for mobile while adding Xbox one games and integration to BB10. They would have a great chance to move up in the mobile world.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-16 09:35 AM