Wow I was amazed that this os have quite some similarities with bb10 os!! If bb10 and sailfish unite, it will be the most elegant os in the world XD

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 08:49 AM
    Sailfish is the official continuation of Meego Harmattan, which was first seen on the Nokia N9 back in the middle part of 2011. BlackBerry 10 was around at that time also, running on devices such as the BlackBerry Colt. At that time, the BlackBerry Colt was running an UI that looked identical to the BlackBerry Tablet OS. The original plan was to release BlackBerry 10 looking like that in the later part of 2011 or early 2012. Mike and Jim had decided that the BlackBerry Colt was going to be the first BlackBerry 10 phone until the Nokia N9 came out and was killed off. Once that happened, they literally stopped what they were doing and the decision was made to copy Meego's UI. That decision resulted in multiple delays for BlackBerry 10 and the existing BlackBerry Colts becoming Dev Alphas that were given out to developers. The first Dev Alpha even still used the original BlackBerry 10 UI, which looked identical to the PlayBook's UI. I had one. The OS version was BlackBerry 10, but it looked nothing like BlackBerry 10 does after Meego influenced it.

There is no doubt about it that BlackBerry purposefully copied Meego. The years worth of delays, the timing and the BlackBerry Colt prove that. Jolla shouldn't unite with BlackBerry, they should sue them.

See, BlackBerry had already copied one dead platform when they took the UI from WebOS and made the Tablet OS. I'm sure at the time, BlackBerry never imagined that a company would come around and take over Meego. They just assumed it was dead and cloned it like they did with the dead WebOS.

Oh well, I'll be buying a Sailfish device as soon as one is available in the US and I hope they're able to be successful as a small, niche player.
    11-27-13 09:23 AM
    Wow thx for the information, I never knew that, though both of them looks really good and offer something different.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 10:21 AM
    does Jolla sailfish os also include ANDROID runtime to run android apps? if not,what app store will use? without a mature app store,it is dead.
    11-28-13 03:42 AM
    does Jolla sailfish os also include ANDROID runtime to run android apps? if not,what app store will use? without a mature app store,it is dead.
    Yes, they do have an Android player. The app store for Android apps will be Yandex NV.

Source: Nokia Software Revived by Jolla in Challenge to Android - Bloomberg

I like BB10 better, seems more consistent to me (true - I never had a Jolla in my hands).

--------------------

Pic Tagger for BB10 and PlayBook
    merli001 likes this.
    11-28-13 03:53 AM
    I would wait for a someone with more insight to come in here before taking any info as solid info folks.

Follow My Music Channel Please And Thanks|Used To Promote And Share My Journey As An Upcoming Artiste C0001BBA7| Via My Z10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    11-28-13 03:55 AM
    didn't know you could sue for using open source code. amazing

/
    11-28-13 04:12 AM
    didn't know you could sue for using open source code. amazing

/
    I believe the poster was referring to the user experience - how the user interacts with the OS. You could duplicate the UI using a total different code (but, of course, the code matters in how well the UI works - how many resources needs etc.)

From what I know, the basis of Apple legal actions against Samsung was the claimed unauthorized copying of Apple UI / user experience features by Samsung's Galaxy line.

But I'm not sure who could sue BlackBerry (not that I want such an outcome) - what company owns the pattents for MeeGo's gesture based interaction (if such pattents do exists) - Nokia, Jolla Ltd. or other party.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for BB10 and PlayBook
    Saiga likes this.
    11-28-13 04:29 AM
    Would love to see a YouTube vid of someone comparing the Jolla vs the Z10 or Z30.

BB10 or Bust!
    11-28-13 04:32 AM
    Sailfish is the official continuation of Meego Harmattan, which was first seen on the Nokia N9 back in the middle part of 2011. BlackBerry 10 was around at that time also, running on devices such as the BlackBerry Colt. At that time, the BlackBerry Colt was running an UI that looked identical to the BlackBerry Tablet OS. The original plan was to release BlackBerry 10 looking like that in the later part of 2011 or early 2012. Mike and Jim had decided that the BlackBerry Colt was going to be the first BlackBerry 10 phone until the Nokia N9 came out and was killed off. Once that happened, they literally stopped what they were doing and the decision was made to copy Meego's UI. That decision resulted in multiple delays for BlackBerry 10 and the existing BlackBerry Colts becoming Dev Alphas that were given out to developers. The first Dev Alpha even still used the original BlackBerry 10 UI, which looked identical to the PlayBook's UI. I had one. The OS version was BlackBerry 10, but it looked nothing like BlackBerry 10 does after Meego influenced it.

There is no doubt about it that BlackBerry purposefully copied Meego. The years worth of delays, the timing and the BlackBerry Colt prove that. Jolla shouldn't unite with BlackBerry, they should sue them.

See, BlackBerry had already copied one dead platform when they took the UI from WebOS and made the Tablet OS. I'm sure at the time, BlackBerry never imagined that a company would come around and take over Meego. They just assumed it was dead and cloned it like they did with the dead WebOS.

Oh well, I'll be buying a Sailfish device as soon as one is available in the US and I hope they're able to be successful as a small, niche player.
    Tell us how you really feel.

Posted via CB10
    Comatose11 and Saiga like this.
    11-28-13 08:12 AM
    Looks like a decent platform. Runs android apps.
    Announced phone price is a little lower than BlackBerry launch prices buts phone spec looks a little lower than BlackBerry - 1Gb ram for instance, and BlackBerry have reduced prices so Z30 looks better value than jola at the moment. Whether jola will succeed or not? I hope so, think Finns are a little more patriotic when it comes to purchases than Canadians but then theres less of them?

Hoping for a world with half a dozen diifferent phone platforms to choose from with just enough comonallity to share a common app platform. If that common app platform turns out to be apk then I can live with that.
    11-28-13 02:38 PM
    The OS was actually called Maemo that was released on the Nokia N900, it was a beauty, I still have that phone, worked great in both portrait and landscape, something that BlackBerry have not got round to implement in OS 10 yet, and the main reason I fell in love with the Playbook then and BlackBerry OS 10 now.
    11-28-13 05:57 PM
    I find this thread a little difficult to believe as bb10 is based on QNX, which BlackBerry owns and which has been in place for some time in the Industrial and scientific world. All of such is patented.

There are similar characteristics in current OS, QNX though uses a differnt processing approach.

My Z30 to CB10
    11-28-13 08:09 PM
    Yes they did take ideals from meego as everyone borrows but they also implemented new features such as the hub and flick keyboard which are unique.

Plus bb10 is built on qnx instead of just being another Linux os as webos, meego-sailfish, and Android so I don't see how anyone can seriously imply they copied.

I've watched demos of sailfish and while some of it looks nice a lot of it seems awkward and inefficient in use compared to bb10. I downloaded the virtualbox image to mess around with but it didn't really grab me. Maybe I'll try it out again.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    11-28-13 09:07 PM
    Don't forget to mention TAT (BlackBerry Sweden) was heavily involved in designing meego. As they were for bb10.

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    11-29-13 01:25 AM
    Don't forget to mention TAT (BlackBerry Sweden) was heavily involved in designing meego. As they were for bb10.

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    Show a single piece of evidence to support the claim that TAT created or in anyway contributed to the design of the UI for Meego.

I and a few others have searched for such evidence, yet there is none as far as we can tell. TAT has never taken credit for working on that UI and no one except for people on BlackBerry websites has ever gave them credit for doing it. Seems strange if they really did design it.
    11-29-13 06:54 AM
    Yes they did take ideals from meego as everyone borrows but they also implemented new features such as the hub and flick keyboard which are unique.

Plus bb10 is built on qnx instead of just being another Linux os as webos, meego-sailfish, and Android so I don't see how anyone can seriously imply they copied.

I've watched demos of sailfish and while some of it looks nice a lot of it seems awkward and inefficient in use compared to bb10. I downloaded the virtualbox image to mess around with but it didn't really grab me. Maybe I'll try it out again.

Posted via CB10
    They copied the UI. I never said they copied the OS, but it is pretty obvious they copied the UI.

If they didn't copy the UI, then why don't we all have BlackBerry Colts? Why was BlackBerry 10 delayed repeatedly after RIM had it so close to being ready to launch? And why doesn't BlackBerry 10 look like the PlayBook anymore? BlackBerry 10 used to look like the PlayBook, but now it looks like Meego. Why is that?

All of those changes started to happen right after the Nokia N9 and Meego were scrapped by Nokia. People can say whatever they want, but all of those things didn't just change by coincidence.
    11-29-13 07:02 AM
    They copied the UI. I never said they copied the OS, but it is pretty obvious they copied the UI.

If they didn't copy the UI, then why don't we all have BlackBerry Colts? Why was BlackBerry 10 delayed repeatedly after RIM had it so close to being ready to launch? And why doesn't BlackBerry 10 look like the PlayBook anymore? BlackBerry 10 used to look like the PlayBook, but now it looks like Meego. Why is that?

All of those changes started to happen right after the Nokia N9 and Meego were scrapped by Nokia. People can say whatever they want, but all of those things didn't just change by coincidence.
    Why are you so upset?

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 10:30 AM
    Of course they copied features. Meego had some good unique ideals as does bb10. Just as everyone has copied what was good about webos. Google even hired the head of webos to take over Android. They pretty much use the same carousel app switcher which everyone has copied but just made it vertical instead.

The delay of bb10 was mostly because of the implementation of cascades plus features that didn't exist on the PlayBook. Like the hub, gesture keyboard, and so on. Sure it might have given them time to implement a more meego inspired ui but there are a lot of added features in bb10 that meego lacked.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 10:44 AM
    Don't forget Blackberry's powerful security!
    11-29-13 12:01 PM
    Show a single piece of evidence to support the claim that TAT created or in anyway contributed to the design of the UI for Meego.

I and a few others have searched for such evidence, yet there is none as far as we can tell. TAT has never taken credit for working on that UI and no one except for people on BlackBerry websites has ever gave them credit for doing it. Seems strange if they really did design it.
    TAT doesn't post to much on there work, probably due to NDA agreements and BlackBerry deleted tats Wiki page and placed a link to theres. In 2008-2011 they were heavy involved with designing the meego o's for smartphones, tablets, etc. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they "designed" it, but they were hired by Nokia for many projects involving meego.

http://www.fonearena.com/blog/21875/...ind-river.html

http://www.tat.se/blog/tat-presents-...show-in-korea/

"Fuse was announced as a collaboration between Synaptics, Texas Instruments, Alloy, Immersion, and The Astonishing Tribe.

The Nokia demo appears as something that could be applied to smartphones as well as tablets."

http://m.phys.org/news/2011-10-nokia...ype-video.html

11-29-13 12:10 PM
    Why are you so upset?

Posted via CB10
    This is my exact thoughts. He seems so defensive for no reason, we're just having a conversation here.

11-29-13 12:11 PM
    TAT doesn't post to much on there work, probably due to NDA agreement and BlackBerry deleted there Wiki page. In 2008-2011 they were heavy involved with designing the meego o's for smartphones tablets etc. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they "designed" it, but they were hired by Nokia.

http://www.fonearena.com/blog/21875/...ind-river.html

http://www.tat.se/blog/tat-presents-...show-in-korea/

"Fuse was announced as a collaboration between Synaptics, Texas Instruments, Alloy, Immersion, and The Astonishing Tribe.

The Nokia demo appears as something that could be applied to smartphones as well as tablets."

http://m.phys.org/news/2011-10-nokia...ype-video.html

Saiga just got told :P

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 12:20 PM
    TAT doesn't post to much on there work, probably due to NDA agreements and BlackBerry deleted tats Wiki page and placed a link to theres. In 2008-2011 they were heavy involved with designing the meego o's for smartphones, tablets, etc. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they "designed" it, but they were hired by Nokia for many projects involving meego.

Velvet UI for MeeGo tablets by TAT and Wind River

TAT presents at the Intel MeeGo Tablet Roadshow in Korea | The TAT Blog

Phys.Org Mobile: Nokia prototype: twist, bend, tap, steal show (w/ video)

All of that is information I've already read.

See! There is nothing that says they designed the ui for Meego Harmattan. It was never in question that they worked on it, but what they contributed hasn't been said. It seems odd because TAT actually does a lot of talking about what they make. They made numerous demo videos of design elements they have came up with, some was even for Meego, none of which was actually used in Meego though. Yet they never once said "hey we designed Meego"?

Look at their velvet ui demo for Meego Tablets, it looks nothing like Meego Harmattan and was never used in anything, yet they still showed it off.

Just doesn't add up. At this point, people are still just guessing TAT designed it, but nothing official actually says they did or didn't. Your reply only proved my point, as you still don't have any evidence that TAT designed the UI for Meego Harmattan.
    Last edited by Saiga; 11-29-13 at 02:54 PM.
    11-29-13 02:38 PM
    Saiga just got told :P

Posted via CB10
    Word!

I got told information I already read while searching for evidence that TAT designed the UI for Meego Harmattan.
    11-29-13 02:40 PM
41 12