He himself said that it is dead. They've let the bb10 developers go.

The only possible life I could see is if it is made open source.

Not sure what BlackBerry would have to gain from that though.

I don't use many apps, but even I must carry my iPhone around for simple apps like tunein radio.

Posted via CB10
    Just use nobex.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-16 09:06 AM
    I could not imagine a single enterprise that would be dumb enough to invest in BB10 right now. This statement does not speak to the quality of the product, but to the prospects of its future. Only the tiniest of tiny minority actually NEED something like it.
    Scenario 1: All BBOS customers migrated to BB10 by the end of 2016 and they declare BBOS dead, but also declare continue support for BB10 beyond 2018 and perhaps a new device, could be very well a BB10 device without ART.

Scenario 2: By the end of 2016 most BBOS customers have migrated to another platform, they will declare BBOS dead and underline that they will assess the situation of BB10 in mid 2018 (= BB10 will be dead by end of 2018).

If you believe in scenario 1, it isn't dumb to invest in BB10.
    When I hear John Chen talking, I always get the impression that the NIAP certification could result in such a shift and that he is hard working for scenario 1.
    05-30-16 09:10 AM
    Scenario 1: All BBOS customers migrated to BB10 by the end of 2016 and they declare BBOS dead, but also declare continue support for BB10 beyond 2018 and perhaps a new device, could be very well a BB10 device without ART.

Scenario 2: By the end of 2016 most BBOS customers have migrated to another platform, they will declare BBOS dead and underline that they will assess the situation of BB10 in mid 2018 (= BB10 will be dead by end of 2018).

If you believe in scenario 1, it isn't dumb to invest in BB10.
    When I hear John Chen talking, I always get the impression that the NIAP certification could result in such a shift and that he is hard working for scenario 1.
    As of last summer there were less than 10 million BBOS users, and prior to that, there was a consistent bleed rate of 20 million BBOS users per year. Where that leaves us now is unclear, but I would imagine somewhere between 1 and 3 million. So even if every single one migrated according to your scenario 1, BB10 would still die.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-30-16 09:22 AM
    The most reasonable explanation to me is that they are simply waiting for their customer base (enterprise) to migrate from BBOS to BB10... and then they declare BBOS dead, but will try to continue BB10.
    This is some funny stuff. It's actually a little frightening just how out of touch with reality some of you people are.

Posted via CB10
    PygmySurfer likes this.
    05-30-16 11:31 AM
    Again, I don't see why they shouldn't declare BBOS dead.

The most reasonable explanation to me is that they are simply waiting for their customer base (enterprise) to migrate from BBOS to BB10... and then they declare BBOS dead, but will try to continue BB10.
    Again, BB still gets revenues - millions of dollars - from BIS, so they're in no hurry to declare BBOS dead, even though they've not done any meaningful development on it for 4 years already. The last new BBOS device was launched over 3 years ago, and it was a rehash of an older device.

Everyone already knows BBOS is dead (except a few fanbois here on CB), so what does BB have to gain by declaring it so? The carriers are doing that dirty work for them by refarming frequencies to LTE and shutting down BIS. The last diehards won't be giving up their devices by choice, but because their carrier no longer has the infrastructure to support them.

Likewise, why would BB officially declare BB10 dead when they still have BB10 inventory to sell? Even though it's been almost 18 months since they've done any meaningful development on BB10, have fired almost all the developers, have officially announced that there will be no new APIs, no moving on to a currently-supported version of QT, no new Android Runtime, and no new devices for almost a 2 year period, they are still selling old-stock BB10 devices. If they make BB10's death official, they'd have to write down and firesale the remaining inventory. Why do that?

But the lack of an official announcement doesn't change the dozen or so key facts that all point to there never being another BB10 device, and/or no significant development of BB10 for existing devices. They've promised 2 minor security fixes, scheduled over a 2-year period - and a few people are clinging furiously to that to justify their "BB10 isn't dead yet" stance. Well, okay, believe what you like.
    05-30-16 11:44 AM
    They have been too late in execution...

The organisation need more leaders than just Chen.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    05-30-16 01:52 PM
    Well said. Every post I see on the subject (and there are far too many of them) I want to say the same thing. If you enjoy the OS like I do, then just enjoy it. Chen, Watsa & Co. Know it's the best thing on the planet that's why they've been fighting to keep it alive. I have other devices, but I keep going back to BB10 because it is remarkably efficient for those of us who need to be efficient. As long as my BlackBerry 10 devices (Passport Z10, Z30) keep working, which will probably be for at least a few years I'll use them. When they don't, I'll figure it out then.

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree. However, there is one thing that I haven't seen mentioned here. Efficiency and productivity is not exclusive to business. I've noticed that iOS and Android are moving in that direction.

iOS and Android are noticeably (what I call) putting a remix on BlackBerry BB10 innovation. One the reasons that BlackBerry World never needed as many apps is because the operating system was so complete after first boot and setup.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a BlackBerry fan. I am a BlackBerry BB10 user. Android and iOS are really slick platforms. In my opinion BB10, Android and iOS have there shortcomings. However, I can live without what BB10 doesn't offer me as opposed to the others.

Until I get my BlackBerry Passport, I'll continue using my...

 Z10 STL 100-3 with vitamin (SR) 10.3.2.2836 (OS version 10.3.2.2876) on AT&T
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    05-30-16 02:18 PM
    The biggest problem going forward would be the lack of Google Play Services, as more and more apps rely on them.

Outside of the tiny BB10 install base, slightly updated hardware would not have turned the tables for BlackBerry's devices.
    Oh I never said this is the answer to BlackBerry's problems. I just think they would have sold more devices then they currently did going the Priv route. In terms of sales it looks like the Priv is not moving any more devices than bb10 is currently. Had they doubled down on bb10 I think they could have sold millions of devices a quarter and kept it going.

It is what is at this point however and I am just enjoying my Passport as my main device for as long as I can.

Posted via CB10 on My BlackBerry Passport SE Running 10.3.2.2876
    05-30-16 02:38 PM
    Deluded it's only to keep you on board. BlackBerry 10 is. Finished

Posted via CB10
    05-30-16 05:10 PM
    05-30-16 06:08 PM
    You shouldn't take anything posted to Seeking Alpha at face value - anyone who signs up can post an article, and there's no fact checking or sourcing done on them.

For example, page 2 of the article you posted states: "Chen never tried to sell the Foxconn (OTC:FXCOF)-made BlackBerry Z3 as an enterprise-worthy handset. Government and corporate clients will never trust a BlackBerry-branded phone made by Chinese or foreign companies". Does this mean BlackBerry didn't try to sell the Classic or Leap as "enterprise worthy"? Did government and corporate clients eschew those 2 devices because they were made by "Chinese or foreign companies"?
    05-30-16 08:55 PM
    Anyone can write an article about almost anything on Seeking Alpha. That they post it doesn't make it true - it just means they think it will be good click-bait, which is how Seeking Alpha makes money.
    PygmySurfer and app_Developer like this.
    05-30-16 09:03 PM
    Tunein radio is available on BlackBerry world.
    He didn't say that it is dead.

Posted via CB10
    Ok, how about a tunein that actually works.

He did say that there were no plans to release new bb10 devices and the bb10 team is gone from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-16 11:47 PM

He did say that there were no plans to release new bb10 devices and the bb10 team is gone from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Tunein works on my Z10 and my Passport.

JC said there will be no BlackBerry 10 device in 2016, but after 10.3.4. release it's a possibility of a new BlackBerry 10 device.

In the same time, this depends if they can secure Android at the same level or if they will still be in the handset business.

So nothing it's sure, but you can't say JC said there will not be any new BlackBerry 10 device ever, because he didn't.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-16 12:56 AM
    As of last summer there were less than 10 million BBOS users, and prior to that, there was a consistent bleed rate of 20 million BBOS users per year. Where that leaves us now is unclear,
    I assume the bleeding rate of consumers on BIS is much higher than the bleeding rate of enterprise on BES. The latter is important and as you said already yourself: Unclear
    I don’t disagree with math, never do.

Again, BB still gets revenues - millions of dollars - from BIS, so they're in no hurry to declare BBOS dead,… .
    But that is not the point here. They also got revenues from BES licenses for the PlayBook, but didn’t hesitate to declare it EOL.
    The point is that the revenues from BBOS users are significant.
    That’s the point.
    And if you have significant revenues, then you don’t EOL a product.

BlackBerry instead developed BB10 as an upgrade path from BBOS.

I speculate that the lion share of their remaining BBOS customers are also using BES (also b/c BES 12 can handle BBOS) and if these users would move to BB10 and order some additional licenses for productivity and support, then the revenues from the BB10 users would become "significant".

That’s all I was saying with my above scenario 1 and why I think we should wait whether NIAP certification will change something.

The BBOS+BES customer base probably doesn’t care about WhatsApp, Facebook or MS Office 365 etc etc…
    If you can securely access your company database through BES, you don’t need MS Office 365. You may prefer BBM with its screen sharing function for videocalls over a pure messenger like WhatsApp, etc. etc. …
    Gallofa likes this.
    05-31-16 03:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not what he said but good try...
    05-31-16 06:11 PM
    Not what he said but good try...
    You forgot to "WOOF".

Posted via CB10
    CmdrStraker likes this.
    05-31-16 06:43 PM
    dont you guys realize by now that chen is delusional when he speaks he makes no sense
    Yeah he belongs in a quiet hospital bed with a thorozine drip. That's if he did everything by accident. He belongs behind bars if he isn't insane.

Z5 - E6853 / Android 6.0 / T-Mobile USA
    06-01-16 09:30 AM
    thorozine
    Rarely used anymore in a clinical setting lol.
    Doggerz likes this.
    06-01-16 09:35 AM
    https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...SN2rcqIm4OgYkA

Google is your friend. Bb10 is dead

Posted via CB10
    Google is evil. The US department of Google.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-16 09:52 AM
    You forgot to "WOOF".

Posted via CB10
    Double WOOF!
    CmdrStraker likes this.
    06-01-16 01:51 PM
    Well with all this discussion and
    discourages I am planning to buy Passport SE!

Posted via Priv (soon to be replaced with Passport SE)
    elfabio80, zeeten and bbafdad like this.
    06-02-16 10:21 AM
    If you like BB10, enjoy it now while you can and load up on your BB10 devices.
    That's what I have decided. Just got a blue Classic. About to get a new Z30. Hell they are all cheap. I was using a Priv. Not sure my plans for it. For now I am going to enjoy BB10 while I can.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    06-04-16 11:02 PM
    That's what I have decided. Just got a blue Classic. About to get a new Z30. Hell they are all cheap. I was using a Priv. Not sure my plans for it. For now I am going to enjoy BB10 while I can.

Posted via CB10
    That's the same positive stance I've taken. Recently purchased a Passport SE from Shop Blackberry. I'm now thinking of getting the cobalt Classic so I can retire my BlackBerry Q10.

Way too much negativity around here these days. Hell, if you are positive, you'll be accused of burying your head in the sand...

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    06-05-16 11:13 AM
    That's the same positive stance I've taken. Recently purchased a Passport SE from Shop Blackberry. I'm now thinking of getting the cobalt Classic so I can retire my BlackBerry Q10.

Way too much negativity around here these days. Hell, if you are positive, you'll be accused of burying your head in the sand...

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    Preach it!

Posted via CB10
    Jiggy1971 likes this.
    06-05-16 06:48 PM
79 1234