He himself said that it is dead. They've let the bb10 developers go.

The only possible life I could see is if it is made open source.

Not sure what BlackBerry would have to gain from that though.

I don't use many apps, but even I must carry my iPhone around for simple apps like tunein radio.

Posted via CB10
    Tunein radio is available on BlackBerry world.
    He didn't say that it is dead.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 04:12 PM
    https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...SN2rcqIm4OgYkA

Google is your friend. Bb10 is dead

Posted via CB10
    This is an article, not a declaration from BlackBerry. All what this article is saying is that Android didn't make BlackBerry succesfull, so the problem was not the app gap, but the company image.
    If you listen the interview linked at the start of this thread you will hear John Chen saying BlackBerry 10 is not dead ad maybe after 10.3.4 there will be a new BlackBerry 10 device.
    Also, security related, they are focusing more on BlackBerry 10 and not Android with the NIAP certification.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 04:20 PM
    But not too early to say that there has been no significant development of BB10 for about a year now, with only security updates for BlackBerry's business and enterprise customers. As long as Chen can convince those customers that he has secured Android to an equivalent level, there won't be any reason for him to consider another BB10 device.
    John Chen said that they are trying to secure Android at the same level with BlackBerry 10 and they don't succed in 2 years they have to find another solution. The chances are they will not succed to do that, they don't have full control on Android kernel.

Posted via CB10
    gugomat likes this.
    05-29-16 04:24 PM
    There will be no more bb10 devices. Ever.

Don't update the phone and use it as long as you can. That is about the only options you have.

Posted via CB10
    Sofa experts are always correct in their predictions. *Sarcastically.

Seriously, guys, where did you take all that info? And why for God's sake you point that there is no need to update the software? Are you using an iOS, that taught you not to update because every new OS update kills your old iPhone, making you buy the newer device?

As for me, an old BlackBerry user, I'm pretty sure I'll update right at the time it'll be possible.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    05-29-16 04:29 PM
    Sofa experts are always correct in their predictions. *Sarcastically.

Seriously, guys, where did you take all that info? And why for God's sake you point that there is no need to update the software? Are you using an iOS, that taught you not to update because every new OS update kills your old iPhone, making you buy the newer device?

As for me, an old BlackBerry user, I'm pretty sure I'll update right at the time it'll be possible.

Posted via CB10
    Right on the point. I use a BlackBerry Passport now, but I still have my Z10 with the latest BlackBerry 10 release and it's running smooth. And as we know, the Z10 is the first BlackBerry 10 device, 3 years + old.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9742832) and gugomat like this.
    05-29-16 04:33 PM
    dont you guys realize by now that chen is delusional when he speaks he makes no sense
    And a guy on CB is not delusional...right ? When he launched priv he said "its Android I can't guarantee you" what about that

Posted via Priv (soon to be replaced with Passport SE)
    05-29-16 05:23 PM
    Damn, not only did Chen kill BB10 (when BlackBerry scared away the few developers they had), but it looks like Windows Phone is all but dead. They failed miserably with Windows 10 Phone, and they laid off over 1,800 people with their Nokia team. We have no other place to go except to stay with barely supported phones that has our favorite OS, or to go Apple/Android.

I do think it would be nice if BlackBerry picked up Nokia's hardware divsion. They seemed to make some neat hardware for a good price. But what's the point. If they want to go up against Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola, Huawei, ZTE they better get in line.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 05:31 PM
    And a guy on CB is not delusional...right ? When he launched priv he said "its Android I can't guarantee you" what about that

He said "It has the Google" while struggling with the Priv navigation. Lol

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 05:32 PM
    Damn, not only did Chen kill BB10 (when BlackBerry scared away the few developers they had), but it looks like Windows Phone is all but dead. They failed miserably with Windows 10 Phone, and they laid off over 1,800 people with their Nokia team.

I do think it would be nice if BlackBerry picked up Nokia's hardware divsion. They seemed to make some neat hardware for a good price. But what's the point. If they want to go up against Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola, Huawei, ZTE they better get in line.

Posted via CB10
    The lesson learned from Microsoft is that regardless of how much you spend, the barrier to entry of another ecosystem is insurmountable. BB10's and Windows Phone's future was all but set by 2011.
    05-29-16 05:35 PM
    The lesson learned from Microsoft is that regardless of how much you spend, the barrier to entry of another ecosystem is insurmountable. BB10's and Windows Phone's future was all but set by 2011.
    They had too many misteps with their software. It's buttery smooth, but it has been riddled with problems and or limitations. Windows 10 needed to be a sucess. It was released with too many issues. The Universal Apps looked like the game changer. But it hasn't accomplished anything significant to date.

I consider this a failure of their staff to execute.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-29-16 05:42 PM
    https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...SN2rcqIm4OgYkA

Google is your friend. Bb10 is dead

Posted via CB10
    Again, can u post a link to where BLACKBERRY states that BB10 is dead please. From the little article you posted it doesn't show anywhere there that bb10 is dead.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 06:33 PM
    Again, can u post a link to where BLACKBERRY states that BB10 is dead please. From the little article you posted it doesn't show anywhere there that bb10 is dead.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry would never say BB10 is dead. They haven't said BBOS is dead either. So that, in and of itself, means very little for either argument.
    Last edited by conite; 05-29-16 at 07:04 PM.
    05-29-16 06:38 PM
    BlackBerry would never say BB10 is dead. They haven't said BBOS is dead either. So that, in and of itself, means very little for either argument.
    People still using BBOS!

05-29-16 07:47 PM
    People still using BBOS!

People are still using Symbian. What's your point?
    05-29-16 07:52 PM
    People are still using Symbian. What's your point?
    The point is until BlackBerry comes out and literally says it verbally or an official statement, BB10 till the wheels fall off and the last I checked, these wheels are pretty firm and stable.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 08:10 PM
    The main point I was trying to make was more on the bigger picture, aka 'who knows?'.Mobile isn't a neutral platform, so personally I think JC is executing a tactically smart play by keeping BB10 in maintenance mode while expanding to Android. BB10 is sunken cost after all, and he had to do it for the IoT initiative that they started with the Radar.

And the antitrust case has everything to do with the future of Android on BB10, or it could have. Read bullet 2 in the below article for reference.

EU Hits Google With Its Antitrust Stick - Fortune

I'm writing this on a Priv, so that should tell you something about where I think the wind is blowing.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    The core of the case revolves around two complaints: 1) That Google requires manufacturers to pre-install Google Search and Google�s Chrome browser and make them the default, and also gives them financial incentives to make those services exclusive, and 2) That it prevents manufacturers from selling smartphones that run non-Google versions of Android, or penalizes them for doing so.
    What link does this have do with BB10? Google is not forcing Google apps as a condition to Playstore access for BB10. Again you are at a wishing well with this. Just because the runtime may be able to be improved at some point to due to government rules doesn't mean a hill of beans to the success of BB10: runtime + Amazon appstore=death. Nowhere in no government inquiry is there any discussion of forcing the Playstore to non-Android devices which at the minimum has to happen for BB10 to go forward in the consumer market and for carriers to take Chen's calls.

BB10 if it survives will be in a SecuSmart type device that costs over 2K Chen can sell to Angela Merkel.
    05-29-16 09:46 PM
    Let's wait and see what the NIAP certification will change for BB10.

A lots of customers still use legacy BBOS and they may upgrade to BB10 within 2016, which could be a game changer.

I believe these customers have been very valuable for BlackBerry, because legacy BBOS requires extra payments for the NOC service and they probably stay for BB10 (because otherwise they would have moved already to the competition by now, I guess).

The majority of these customers probably don't care about WhatsApp, Facebook etc etc..., but if a significant number of customers is concerned about the outdated ART of BB10, well, who knows.

Remember they had to fix the ART already end of last year because of stagefright:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ntime-1031981/

While I don't know anything about the ART, I can easily imagine there could be a lots of similar issues, which need to be fixed.

In a nutshell, BB10 was a failure in the consumer market, because of the app gap, but that doesn't mean it will fail in the enterprise market.
    Let's wait and see what happens after the NIAP certification.

I personally don't need android apps.
    Bought an iPad and installed only 2 apps, which are not available for BB10, but that's about it.
    No app gap for me, and I will enjoy BB10 for the next years, with ART or without ART.
    Last edited by Superdupont 2_0; 05-30-16 at 03:57 AM.
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-30-16 03:10 AM
    There won't be any BlackBerry 10 device in the future.
    Enjoy it while you still can.

Posted via my beloved Passport solid black edition
    05-30-16 06:42 AM
    BlackBerry could have provided an upgrade to all the BB10 users that were carrying a Q, Z, or Classic model without spending anything on drivers using Passport components. Had they did that last year and continued to refine their OS and the ART instead of going the Priv route it would have had a better outcome.

They would have sold more devices than they have with the Priv. It would also have shown the people buying as well the people developing for it that BlackBerry is committed to it. There would also be no restrictions from Google regarding upgrading the ART so we could possibly have Lollipop ART or even KitKat which would extend the app gap solution going forward as well.

Posted via CB10 on My BlackBerry Passport SE Running 10.3.2.2876
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-30-16 07:59 AM
    BlackBerry could have provided an upgrade to all the BB10 users that were carrying a Q, Z, or Classic model without spending anything on drivers using Passport components. Had they did that last year and continued to refine their OS and the ART instead of going the Priv route it would have had a better outcome.

They would have sold more devices than they have with the Priv. It would also have shown the people buying as well the people developing for it that BlackBerry is committed to it. There would also be no restrictions from Google regarding upgrading the ART so we could possibly have Lollipop ART or even KitKat which would extend the app gap solution going forward as well.

Posted via CB10 on My BlackBerry Passport SE Running 10.3.2.2876
    The biggest problem going forward would be the lack of Google Play Services, as more and more apps rely on them.

Outside of the tiny BB10 install base, slightly updated hardware would not have turned the tables for BlackBerry's devices.
    05-30-16 08:12 AM
    Well, neither BBOS nor BB10 are dead.
    They have an active user base for both, but I would expect that they would discontinue support for BBOS first.

They did declare PlayBook dead, however, and if they really want to exit the handset business why shouldn't they say it for BBOS?
    Or BB10?
    05-30-16 08:20 AM
    They did declare PlayBook dead, however, and if they really want to exit the handset business why shouldn't they say it for BBOS?
    Or BB10?
    For as long as they can collect a single dollar from BIS, or have a single BB10 device left in inventory to sell, they will not declare EOL for either. This should not be confused with whether or not either has a future.

PlayBook was declared EOL because they had nothing left to gain.
    05-30-16 08:28 AM
    For as long as they can collect a single dollar from BIS, or have a single BB10 device left in inventory to sell, they will not declare EOL for either. This should not be confused with whether or not either has a future.

PlayBook was declared EOL because they had nothing left to gain.
    They did take my money for a BES license for my PlayBook.

Again, I don't see why they shouldn't declare BBOS dead.

The most reasonable explanation to me is that they are simply waiting for their customer base (enterprise) to migrate from BBOS to BB10... and then they declare BBOS dead, but will try to continue BB10.

And in case of the PlayBook, there probably wasn't any significant customer base for enterprise, so they didn't hesitate to declare it EOL.
    05-30-16 08:40 AM
    It's a Wishfull Thinking and I think it will be harder to run apps on BB10 when they secure the device more and more. I know I should move away from BB10 like the whole family did this last 6 months, but still love how the Passport works for me but one day.
    I know the feeling....
    05-30-16 08:52 AM
    The most reasonable explanation to me is that they are simply waiting for their customer base (enterprise) to migrate from BBOS to BB10... and then they declare BBOS dead, but will try to continue BB10.
    I could not imagine a single enterprise that would be dumb enough to invest in BB10 right now. This statement does not speak to the quality of the product, but to the prospects of its future. Only the tiniest of tiny minority actually NEED something like it.
    05-30-16 08:59 AM
79 1234