Hi there.
    So i'm looking for a smartphone and it look like the Z10 for me could do the job well done.
    An I couldn't find any clear information about what i'm looking for.

But I am concern about keeping my personnal privacy here.

At Work we have an exchange server and I am assuming that like an Android device, exchange will install an account an ask me to sync it with my phone.
    But it is possible to get the contact,agenda,etc. from this account without giving all the information on my phone back to the exchange server?

I am also concern about remote data wipe.
    In exchange you could wipe a device from distance without warning.
    So by ading an exchange account, I give admin right to my phone to the company I work for.
    I fully understand that the company want to control their data, but to wipe the entire phone I think it's a little abusive.

Thanks in advance for your tips and advice.
    Last edited by Mavvens; 02-16-14 at 11:23 AM.
    02-16-14 10:40 AM
    Hi there.
    So i'm looking for a smartphone and it look like the Z10 for me could do the job well done.
    An I couldn't find any clear information about what i'm looking for.

But I am concern about keeping my personnal privacy here.

At Work we have an exchange server and I am assuming that like an Android device, exchange will install an account an ask me to sync it with my phone.
    But it is possible to get the contact,agenda,etc. from this account without giving all the information on my phone back to the exchange server?

I am also concern about remote data wipe.
    In exchange you could wipe a device from distance without warning.
    So by ading an exchange account, I give admin right to my phone to the company I work for.
    I fully understand that the company want to control their data, but to wipe the entire phone I think it's a little abusive.

Thanks in advance for your tips and advice.
    What do you mean by "without giving all the information on my phone back to the exchange server"? You have to give your username and password, but I suspect you mean something else.

Yes. By adding ActiveSync you are allowing a remote wipe of your device. If you are on Exchange 2007 or later you can initiate the wipe yourself through OWA. Meanwhile your admins can initiate a wipe. I don't see how this is "abusive" because if you truly lost your phone, you probably would want to remote wipe it to keep your personal data out of the hands of someone else.

If you want to have it so your work can just wipe their work data off your device, then you need your work to deploy a Mobile Device Management (MDM) where the company data is deployed to a "secure work space". The BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) does this very thing with a feature called Balance. I used Balance on my personal Z10 at my last job and it was really nice.

Having a secure work space where corporate data is kept totally separate isn't all it is cracked up today because it won't let you access the work data outside of the workspace, such as copying and pasting a phone number from the work space into the personal phone app.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    02-16-14 03:29 PM
    if used with bes10 it will only wipe the corp data if used with active sync alone it will wipe entire device. admins get the call and it happens without a second thought to protect corp data. I have set up bes10 for many clients because of this so called problem all or nothing wipe vs corp and personal wipe.
    02-16-14 03:41 PM
    if used with bes10 it will only wipe the corp data if used with active sync alone it will wipe entire device. admins get the call and it happens without a second thought to protect corp data. I have set up bes10 for many clients because of this so called problem all or nothing wipe vs corp and personal wipe.
    Clarification, BES10 give you the option to wipe the whole device or just the secure work space. You can still wipe the whole device if needed which is a good thing if the device is truly lost.

Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    02-16-14 03:43 PM
    Alright thanks for the Information:

What do you mean by "without giving all the information on my phone back to the exchange server"? You have to give your username and password, but I suspect you mean something else.
    Does the fact that I permit an exchange admin to do is duty in the case I lost my phone allow a company to browse free on my phone with that same admin?
    Does the fact that I sync my phone with exchange will automaticly sync all my personnal contact, agenda,etc... on the exchange server?
    Could I control that?
    What is controllable and what is not?

Please enlight me.
    Thanks.
    02-20-14 08:17 PM
    I think having a device on a company network/server automatically gives them access to your device. Albeit I don't believe this is for pictures and personal items, but merely company items. I'm sure someone else can confirm.

Now I'd really like to try my device on a BES10 server...
    02-20-14 08:30 PM
    Alright thanks for the Information:

Does the fact that I permit an exchange admin to do is duty in the case I lost my phone allow a company to browse free on my phone with that same admin?
    Does the fact that I sync my phone with exchange will automaticly sync all my personnal contact, agenda,etc... on the exchange server?
    Could I control that?
    What is controllable and what is not?

Please enlight me.
    Thanks.
    I think your perspective is slightly skewed. When you hook up a device, any device, to ActiveSync then you are agreeing to bidirectional synchronization of specific types of data. For example here is my work account:
    Job privacy on BB10 (BYOD)-img_20140221_102241.png

If you don't want that data synchronized, then turn some options off.

This is all your control of what to share and what not to share, but you are sharing then information already stored on their servers. If you are talking about a personal account then no they don't have access to that data just because it is on your BlackBerry phone.

02-21-14 09:26 AM
    Ok I see.
    So I only sync data on my phone regarding the account that I sync only.
    But by doing so the company that I work for might want to delete the info on my phone for security purpose.

With all the info provided, I could do a backup of my backberry with the software provided with the device right?
    Thanks.
    02-21-14 08:05 PM
    Ok I see.
    So I only sync data on my phone regarding the account that I sync only.
    But by doing so the company that I work for might want to delete the info on my phone for security purpose.

With all the info provided, I could do a backup of my backberry with the software provided with the device right?
    Thanks.
    Yes, the company you work for might want to remove their data from your device.

You should be doing backups of your phone periodically anyway, so yes you could do a backup of your phone and restore it in the off chance they wipe your entire phone.

02-21-14 08:32 PM
    For clarity I think our OP means his personal contacts like sexy broads with odd notes in them showing up in his Outlook. If a similar case once in outlook then company owns that data legally. Hence his concern.

Fictitious example of course but you get what I'm after.

I think in Outlook you should create a new Contact group call it mobile.

Maybe this question is BETTER suited to have it in Enterprise section of th e forums so that admins, real admins can properly have a solution and advice for you.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    02-21-14 09:34 PM