I am running BB10 Q10. One program (LINE) stopped working today. I have version 8.5.2 which is compatible with Android Jelly Bean (4.1X). When I try to load version 8.17.1 (Android KitKat 4.4), the installation fails.

Is there some kind of workaround to upgrade the Android part of BB10 (or workaround or anything)?

Any help appreciated.
    09-28-20 03:50 PM
    Is there some kind of workaround to upgrade the Android part of BB10 (or workaround or anything)?
    I'm afraid not. We are stuck forever with 4.3 and even that version is not 100% compatible with all 4.3 and below apps. In other words, it is a crippled version of android 4.3.
    09-28-20 04:20 PM
    I was afraid you would say that! I wish there was a shell that made one into the other. i mean 4.3, 4.4, how different can they really be...
    09-28-20 05:07 PM
    I was afraid you would say that! I wish there was a shell that made one into the other. i mean 4.3, 4.4, how different can they really be...
    About .1 which is apparently enough to make a difference....

Sorry, just couldn't resist....
    ppeters914 and brookie229 like this.
    09-28-20 05:13 PM
    It looks like the last versions of LINE that supports Android 4.1 is 8.11

Posted via CB10
    09-28-20 05:15 PM
    Nothing works below version 8.17 so i am stuck.
    09-29-20 07:03 AM
    Nothing works below version 8.17 so i am stuck.
    One reason, outside the need for client dedicated apps, that I left BB10 from even hobbyist status on my coffee table, was that texting and messaging apps were slow or sluggish, even when only requiring up to ART 4.1-4.3, for my practical use.

I never found a good cross-platform messenger replacement unless you convince your Line users to pay for and use BBMe instead.
    09-29-20 08:02 AM
    One reason, outside the need for client dedicated apps, that I left BB10 from even hobbyist status on my coffee table, was that texting and messaging apps were slow or sluggish, even when only requiring up to ART 4.1-4.3, for my practical use.

I never found a good cross-platform messenger replacement unless you convince your Line users to pay for and use BBMe instead.
    Chuck, I am in sales with customers all over the world. I try not to dictate how they can reach me. I simultaneously run Telegram, WhatsApp and LINE. Many folks in Japan and Taiwan use LINE. I never used BBMe (I do not think it works anymore). Until this latest Kitkat problem, I was doing fine.
    09-29-20 08:12 AM
    Chuck, I am in sales with customers all over the world. I try not to dictate how they can reach me. I simultaneously run Telegram, WhatsApp and LINE. Many folks in Japan and Taiwan use LINE. I never used BBMe (I do not think it works anymore). Until this latest Kitkat problem, I was doing fine.
    Well, that’s basically similar reason why I had to leave BB10 so I guess you’re now at your own personal Android/iOS fork in the road. Good luck with your choice. I’ve never really felt BBMe was a good choice for me but if viable option for you, Android/iOS users still use BBMe as it was brought internal back to BB when Emtek cancelled Android/iOS BBM version.
    09-29-20 08:15 AM
    Well, that’s basically similar reason why I had to leave BB10 so I guess you’re now at your own personal Android/iOS fork in the road. Good luck with your choice. I’ve never really felt BBMe was a good choice for me but if viable option for you, Android/iOS users still use BBMe as it was brought internal back to BB when Emtek cancelled Android/iOS BBM version.
    Think it's more Android, their iOS app still has too many issues.... that and no one uses it, other than fans that like to have their own groups. But real communications with others that your actually need to communicate with.... they don't have it.

A year ago, most everyone I knew for work or personal... it was TEXTING or iMessage (sorta same thing). SLACK was important for some business purposes, but very specific. Not really sure why, but COVID seems to have driven many to WhatsApp. Both personal and business contacts all seem to be using it right now. Slack usage has dropped way off, but TEAMS and ZOOM have taken off.

I really don't know how folks on BBOS or BB10 stay connected, especially in the business world today..... unless they dual carry, but don't see the point in that either. My email communications, just isn't what it was ten or fifteen years ago.
    09-29-20 08:58 AM
    We do mostly outside the company stuff, much of which is international. Very little Teams or Slack there. e-mail still going strong + SMS + WhatsApp and Telegram (with LINE no longer working). I do not see the need to stop using my Q10 for now. Could chance in the future of course for reasons highlighted above.
    09-29-20 09:49 AM
    I really don't know how folks on BBOS or BB10 stay connected, especially in the business world today..
    In academia it's still pretty much email in communications with universities in Europe, USA and Asia but I know that the business world is vastly different.
    mh1983 likes this.
    09-29-20 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD