Jeff Gadway Explains BlackBerry 10 �Heat Mapping� Keyboard Technology [VIDEO] Jeff Gadway Explains BlackBerry 10 ‘Heat Mapping’ Keyboard Technology | BBin – India 's Best BlackBerry Community

Pretty sure the competition doesn't have this.
    JerBru likes this.
    01-17-13 06:56 PM
    Can't wait to see a video with something new.....

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about BB10, but these "exclusives" aren't so exclusive at this point..... just say'n
    jesse_h, amjass12 and magutwit like this.
    01-17-13 07:06 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about BB10, but these "exclusives" aren't so exclusive at this point..... just say'n
    Sorry, I haven't seen anything at all on this Site about the heat Mapping technology. My bad if I'm wrong.
    01-17-13 07:10 PM
    Sorry, I haven't seen anything at all on this Site about the heat Mapping technology. My bad if I'm wrong.

I'm not attacking you, just voicing my thoughts.

I can't say I heard the word "heat mapping" prior to this, but the concept of what's its doing has been discussed here (moving target points for letters based on how you type).
    01-17-13 07:12 PM
    Jeff Gadway Explains BlackBerry 10 �Heat Mapping� Keyboard Technology [VIDEO] Jeff Gadway Explains BlackBerry 10 �Heat Mapping� Keyboard Technology | BBin � India 's Best BlackBerry Community

Pretty sure the competition doesn't have this.
    The competition (Android) does have this and has for some time...they don't call it heat mapping though.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-17-13 07:30 PM
    The competition (Android) does have this and has for some time...they don't call it heat mapping though.

Please post a link to prove. I hear constantly post stating competition has this but never any proof.

G.
    01-17-13 07:58 PM
    Please post a link to prove. I hear constantly post stating competition has this but never any proof.

G.

01-17-13 08:04 PM
    I think manually calibrating and the heat Mapping are different. Not sure if you watched the video I posted.
    01-17-13 08:27 PM
    Heat Mapping’ which*tailors*touch targets & your thumb angles to make typing more accurate.
    01-17-13 08:30 PM
    I think manually calibrating and the heat Mapping are different. Not sure if you watched the video I posted.
    Same technology, manual vs however blackberry does it is only difference.

01-17-13 08:37 PM
    Same technology, manual vs however blackberry does it is only difference.

That really is a big difference. Ask anyone if they'd rather eat buttered toast or churn the butter first.

But seriously, it is a massive difference not only in time/efficiency by theoretically in accuracy too. When you manually calibrate something you're thinking deliberately about what you're doing (much less natural). You also are unlikely to repeat the process on a regular basis. This does it for you based on real world typing, and continually improves.
    Jonny-R, pmccartney, tdaye and 6 others like this.
    01-17-13 09:08 PM
    Just saw the Android video, it's not the same thing. Not even close. "Heat Mapping" is basically when your thumb is let's say 60% on the letter "H" and the other 40% on the letter "J", the Keyboard knows u really was going for the letter "H".

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-17-13 10:12 PM
    Just saw the Android video, it's not the same thing. Not even close. "Heat Mapping" is basically when your thumb is let's say 60% on the letter "H" and the other 40% on the letter "J", the Keyboard knows u really was going for the letter "H".

Haha...you apparently didn't watch the Android video because that's exactly what that feature is that he was showing...exactly.

01-17-13 10:19 PM
    It may be the same technology, but it's taken to another level. Instead of doing it manually, it does it automatically as you type. Instead of you teaching your phone how you type, your phone learns how to type from you just doing it. While the Androiod asks for input from each letter in an artificial one off setting, BB10 learns from your habits and patterns.
    It may use the same technology, but bb10 uses the technology to actively learn how you actually type (continuous, active, real world vs. one off, passive, unrealistic sample)
    tdaye and BB_Bmore like this.
    01-18-13 02:59 AM

me too... unless they are illegal sneek peeks of the actual final phone and some other software features we haven't seen loool.,,

other than that.. jan 30th.. that's in 2 wednesdays time! cannot wait
    01-18-13 04:26 AM
    Same technology, manual vs automatically

Fixed that for you
    jasonvan9 likes this.
    01-18-13 05:45 AM
    This appears to be a rudimentary version of heat mapping where it doesn't 'learn' where you type by collecting data over a long period of time.

This calibration is like if heat mapping only worked for 26 presses and then it shut off.

01-18-13 06:23 AM
    Jeff Gadway does not know the meaning of heat mapping because it has nothing to do with thumb angles and touch screens.
    01-18-13 06:40 AM
    its old tecnology enhanced.
    the blackberry keyboard is fundamentally the same leyboard on androids.
    dont become apple fanbois and try to claim old tec as new.

tack and reeneebob like this.
    01-18-13 06:42 AM
    Heat Mapping is a clever marketing term that derives from the fact that there is a direct correlation between how long a finger is positioned on the screen at a certain spot and the level of heat at that spot.

BTW: Isn't 'enhanced old tech' new tech? Not revolutionary tech but...

For example: No new Intel CPU can compute anything that any old Intel chip couldn't also compute--the new chips just do it faster. They are enhanced old tech.

jasonvan9 likes this.
    01-18-13 06:43 AM
    Fixed that for you
    Haha...thanks

01-18-13 08:01 AM
    And don't forget "pre-touch" the QNX team showed off in the CAR 2.0 demo in the Bentley car at CES. You have to wonder how that will be integrated into BB10 at some point.
    01-18-13 08:51 AM
    If I had the wherewithal to do this myself I would keep it to myself.

Excuse the blasphemy, but I use a Lenovo Thinkpad tablet running ICS. I use it around the house and take it on trips and it is somewhat sufficient. My first smartphone was a Blackberry pearl, and I currently use a bold, and wait with baited breath for the Z10. I'm working on hardware for it. Nothing technologically adventurous.

Here is my proposal. A handed keyboard that makes so much sense that RIM themselves sees fit to integrate it into their operating system.

What do I mean by a handed keyboard. I hold my tablet in my left hand and type with my left hand all the time. What problems does this create? The QWERTY keyboard is designed for two handed typing, it even works well for two thumbed typing, but when my hand has to dance around the bottom of the tablet, the inefficiency is palpable. So problem number one is typing inefficiency. Problem number two is how much of the screen I can see. My keyboard covers half of the available screen, and unless I'm typing in a web address, the keyboard frequently covers the content that I am trying to input. If you do not see these two things as limitations then my app proposal will be of little interest to you.

By a handed keyboard I mean a keyboard that is designed to address both of these problems. When the tablet is in landscape mode the keyboard would represent on either the left or right side of the tablet in a vertical orientation, with a layout optimized for one handed text and character input. There is another feature which I suspect would require a deeper level of integration than an App, the feature I'm imagining is for there to be no "overlap" when the keyboard is represented on the screen. By "overlap" I mean that the running application, the target application for my input, would shrink it's window size and be "beside" the keyboard.

Proposal for an Onscreen Handed Keyboard - Imgur

Tablet computing has an exciting future. Everyone has seen the statistics regarding tablet vs. "PC" sales, and adoption. Some might even say that tablets are the future of "personal computing", I'm not here to make such prophetic statements. I do know that I use my tablet more and more each day even with it's limited functionality. The developer of an onscreen, handed keyboard has the opportunity to make a clean break from the QWERTY layout which was actually designed to slow down mechanical typists. I propose that the developer take a serious look at the work done by Dvorak. I understand that there are multiple keyboards that have been developed for iOS and Android, and while I haven't looked at all of them, I did inquire on the android forum and search through App stores for a keyboard that addresses the issues that I've raised, and delivers the features that I believe will have the desired effect of making one handed typing as efficient as possible.

My bias is to categorically reject, swipe type or jesture based input methods. It is not that I think that those are any less efficient, but in my limited perspective I don't see them becoming as universal as QWERTY.

Just as the BB10 keyboard is generating envy among iOS and Android users, I can see the properly designed Onscreen Handed Keyboard, (OHK) being a feature that might even be adopted across platform.

My brief bio.
    M.E. University of Texas @ Austin
    10 years as an M.E.
    4 years as a Finance professional
    01-18-13 09:27 AM
    That really is a big difference. Ask anyone if they'd rather eat buttered toast or churn the butter first.

But seriously, it is a massive difference not only in time/efficiency by theoretically in accuracy too. When you manually calibrate something you're thinking deliberately about what you're doing (much less natural). You also are unlikely to repeat the process on a regular basis. This does it for you based on real world typing, and continually improves.
    the word prediction engine must be talking to the heat map. As long as it works!
    01-18-13 10:01 AM
    iOS and Windows Phone have been doing it for awhile, iOS started doing it with the original iPhone. I'm not saying BlackBerries isn't a good evolution of current tech(because it is) but it certainly isn't original. See here:
    iOS 1.0
    WP 8

Can't find a good demo video for android but it's done it since Donut I'd like to say, automatically.
    01-18-13 09:46 PM
39 12