I was shocked to see that BB10 supports neither Korean nor Japanese language keyboard input out of the gate. With the global nature of business today, there is much more at stake here than just access to the Korean and Japanese smartphone markets, which I understand BlackBerry has chosen not to enter.

This is actually quite a big deal, and something that has not (to my knowledge) been reported widely yet. I know this will be a dealbreaker for many faithful BlackBerry users (and CrackBerry readers), as I imagine it will be for many businesses with a global presence. Perhaps this is something that we could ask the intrepid CrackBerry editorial team to investigate and report on?
    Jonneh likes this.
    03-04-13 05:22 AM
    I was shocked to see that BB10 supports neither Korean nor Japanese language keyboard input out of the gate. With the global nature of business today, there is much more at stake here than just access to the Korean and Japanese smartphone markets, which I understand BlackBerry has chosen not to enter.

This is actually quite a big deal, and something that has not (to my knowledge) been reported widely yet. I know this will be a dealbreaker for many faithful BlackBerry users (and CrackBerry readers), as I imagine it will be for many businesses with a global presence. Perhaps this is something that we could ask the intrepid CrackBerry editorial team to investigate and report on?
    i need korean... and kakao talk.. ASAP
    carbon98accord likes this.
    03-04-13 08:28 AM
    Meh, from what I learned from a 2 year relationship with my Korean ex is that every Korean on the planet uses a Samsung, drives a Hyundai, uses Kakaotalk, Naver, and has pretty much no interest at all in integrating with anyone outside of their cult like culture. I honestly don't think any Koreans will be using this phone. Though I'd like to have Hangul on my phone, as I'd like to be able to type it from time to time, this isn't a deal breaker for me as I can just barely type it and I don't understand much Korean
    bluetroll likes this.
    03-04-13 10:57 AM
    I believe that blackberry has said that bb10 products will not be released or supported in the two countries to which are referred...

Posted using BlackBerry 10
    03-04-13 11:07 AM
    there is an app for a japanese keyboard on BBworld, you have to use the keyboard in the app tho then it will copy to a clipboard and then you can paste it in whatever you like. Kind of a pain but it works. As for Kakou Talk the andriod version can be sideloaded i heard some people have it working but it just crashes when i launch it :S
    03-04-13 03:57 PM
    yeah kinda a heartbreaker.... im learning korean right now
    03-04-13 04:49 PM
    yeah kinda a heartbreaker.... im learning korean right now
    Just order number 9.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-04-13 07:18 PM
    Plz add the function of Korean input method for Korean BlackBerry lover...
    03-04-13 10:18 PM
    there is an app for a japanese keyboard on BBworld, you have to use the keyboard in the app tho then it will copy to a clipboard and then you can paste it in whatever you like. Kind of a pain but it works. As for Kakou Talk the andriod version can be sideloaded i heard some people have it working but it just crashes when i launch it :S
    Hey anthonybaker, thanks for the info (I'm looking for Japanese input, myself). This is a good workaround for folks that need to use Japanese/Korean occasionally, but as you suggest it's kind of a pain, and not a real solution for most people.

I just can't figure out why BlackBerry would have omited these two languages, which are both pretty widespread and important (especially in business). After all, they've included most of the other major languages! It's not like BlackBerry has to have its own team of Japanese/Korean language experts to build it from scratch... they probably just have to buy it from some company that specializes in that, right? As doug8256 points out, they're not planning to release BB10 in Japan or Korea, but that's no reason to limit those who can use your product outside those markets!

Maybe someone can explain this to me better!
    Jonneh likes this.
    03-05-13 07:41 AM
    just cause the products are not available in korea/japan doesn't mean there are people in other countries that need it to communicate with families/friends..

example!

my mom doesn't speak english nor type it that well... and therefore i have to type to her in korean..
    my dad lives in Korea and is in the same boat as my mom..

my wife speaks to her family in New Jersey, LA, and Atlanta who all speak/type korean..

therefore it doesn't matter if the product is not in the language origin.. it matters to customers that are in their high market areas .. i.e. N.A and Europe etc etc..

but what gives me hope is the rendering of Korean on the Z10
    03-05-13 09:54 AM

I don't think blackberry sells any phones there. Both are pretty closed markets, mostly interested in exports.
    bluetroll likes this.
    03-05-13 10:12 AM
    Is there any way to integrate this into the Z10?

Korean input method (kpim)
    03-07-13 03:16 PM
    I feel the same way. Sometime in mid Feb there were several articles that BB10 won't launch in Korea. I would not be surprised if I never get to see the z10. My 9900 is slow, outdated, can't do pretty much anything nowadays (except kakao, and tunein).

03-09-13 10:26 AM
    Oh dear. No Japanese language input? I sincerely hope BlackBerry will include it in their next update. I communicate in Japanese a lot, and using an app to type Japanese, then copy and paste to email or SMS would be too troublesome in the long run.

I'm all set to get the Z10 soon. I still have to think about this, if it's a deal breaker or not. Sad.
    Jonneh likes this.
    03-18-13 02:27 AM
    And so unfortunate is I have not heard any news from them regarding this

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 03:17 AM
    Right?

So, how about it Kevin or Adam or whoever... can you help us out and take a look into this? We know that it was a business decision not to enter the Japanese and Korean smartphone markets with BB10 devices, but has BlackBerry completely abandoned Japanese and Korean speaking users in the rest of the world? Say it aint so!
    03-19-13 09:47 AM
    What a shame, I really miss typing in Japanese.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 12:32 AM
    Honto ne...

Very provincial Blackberry.

Also, I am not sure that on other forums for other platforms you would read people negating the need of JP, KO and CH input as a standard for a 2013 released phone.

By the way I am not Japanese. I just use the language.
    03-20-13 06:25 AM
    I was shocked to see that BB10 supports neither Korean nor Japanese language keyboard input out of the gate.
    I don't know how soon it will make it out into the field, but I have a buddy at BlackBerry who sends me emails with a Korean signature line, so I'm sure it is coming down the pipe in an update.
    03-20-13 09:07 AM
    I don't know how soon it will make it out into the field, but I have a buddy at BlackBerry who sends me emails with a Korean signature line, so I'm sure it is coming down the pipe in an update.
    That's great, val_lixembeau. I just hope it means what you say it does - he could have just copied and pasted it into the email, or sent it from his desktop! Why don't you ask him?
    03-20-13 10:39 AM
    BlackBerry 10 isn't available in Japan right now, so I'd assume they're not in a hurry to support Japanese.

Though it'd be nice to have Japanese. Many a good emotes use their peculiar characters.
    03-20-13 10:49 AM
    i need korean... and kakao talk.. ASAP
    same here. I need both asap as well or else I will have to change phones
    03-31-13 09:35 PM
    I do not expect they are listen to you. Blackberry is out of the question.
    Nobody wanted to rectify their wrong direction and now, Blackberry executives are finished to ready to run away.
    Hopeless...
    04-02-13 10:51 AM
    Surprised they haven't integrated it even if they're not actively targeting the Japanese market just for business clients, international use or family.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    04-02-13 10:57 AM
    So what Pacific Rim languages are supported?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 11:00 AM
67 123