So considering the rumours etc that were hearing (true or false) regarding BB10's demise or its shift to the back burner etc, thought this would be an entertaining thread (don't flame me, just curious of opinions). Imagine it's the launch date of BlackBerry 10 once more, what do you do differently, and what would be different for BlackBerry leading up to that point if you were in charge? Would Android already be in the table instead of BB10?

For me I would have released the Z30 as the Z10, and have had BlackBerry 10 ,whether slightly de contented or not, ready to roll out on all the PlayBook's out in the publics hands. That way there's no down time between the launch and public release of BB10 as there was. Furthermore, people who aren't necessarily using BlackBerry phones or have no desire to switch from BBOS get a feel for what the OS has to offer.

Obviously there's the marketing and apps situation to be rectified etc but those would be my immediate changes.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 12:03 AM
    I would have made apks installable from the get-go.

Launch products with better specs.

Typed on my posh black Classic.
    09-17-15 01:08 AM
    Greater legacy support (apps, customization?), stronger battery in Z10, idk. Woulda been cool if the passport w 10.3 could have been around then.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 08:48 AM
    Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

I'd go back further and start BBX (which would still be later renamed to BB10 because Basis International would still be there to raise a stink) development right after the QNX acquisition back in April of 2010, with the intention to develop new phones along with the tablet.

Also, push to retain the features of the old BBOS from the start, and not be so adamant about totally ignoring the feature set that took so long to get to where it was (only to spend the next 2 years shoe-horning those features back into an OS that obviously never intended to have them). And, maybe push the hardware section to think ahead a bit more before settling on components. If the PlayBook was developed concurrent to the phones, maybe the ram limit wouldn't have been as much of an issue. The idea would be to have a complete OS and hardware set out by the spring of 2012. Yes, that's a whole year after the PlayBook was actually released, but let's face it, the PlayBook came out way undercooked - mainly because of the OS. But it also brings the BB10 phones out over half a year earlier that they actually did. That also pushes the upgrade cycle earlier too.

Oh, and I wouldn't show the PlayBook off so early, only to make everyone wait so long for it.
    09-17-15 03:24 PM