Just a few minutes ago I ordered a Key One from AT&T. Reluctantly, I know my Passport's and Q10's time is up. It's time to take them out of the game. BB10 is still awesome imho and I have not swayed to another company. But while typing this, quite a few of my keys will either not produce a letter or double up on the first press. Let's admit it- the keyboard is nice but it does get tedious sometimes when it malfunctions. Of course, these devices will still be around my house like my BlackBerry Tour which still has music on it from a proprietary Sprint music app, so they're definitely still good for doing things. But the trackball is messed up and won't scroll upwards.

It's a bit tough moving on, but it feels right to do so. I am so used to navigating the back end, but I am accepting the new freedom that awaits when I step into the world of Android. I could hold on to my Passport (my current workhorse) until BB10 is completely phased out but why torture myself like that? My job needs me to be with the times and BB10, no matter how smooth and good it is as an OS simply isn't in a position to be helpful.

Maybe BB10 will live on through QNX? I hope so. Either way, cheers to all.

Posted via CB10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    10-05-18 05:52 PM
    I know your pain! BB10 was/is a great o/s. I. Have moved to samsung android and despise the o/s riddled with unwanted adverts.

I guess we have only two choices: crappy Apple or infected Android. Pity!

 BlackBerry Passport SE on Rogers LTE Victoria BC Canada .
    10-06-18 07:12 PM
    Just a few minutes ago I ordered a Key One from AT&T. Reluctantly, I know my Passport's and Q10's time is up. It's time to take them out of the game. BB10 is still awesome imho and I have not swayed to another company. But while typing this, quite a few of my keys will either not produce a letter or double up on the first press. Let's admit it- the keyboard is nice but it does get tedious sometimes when it malfunctions. Of course, these devices will still be around my house like my BlackBerry Tour which still has music on it from a proprietary Sprint music app, so they're definitely still good for doing things. But the trackball is messed up and won't scroll upwards.

It's a bit tough moving on, but it feels right to do so. I am so used to navigating the back end, but I am accepting the new freedom that awaits when I step into the world of Android. I could hold on to my Passport (my current workhorse) until BB10 is completely phased out but why torture myself like that? My job needs me to be with the times and BB10, no matter how smooth and good it is as an OS simply isn't in a position to be helpful.

Maybe BB10 will live on through QNX? I hope so. Either way, cheers to all.

Posted via CB10
    Im sure you will appreciate what Android has offer. PWA's are easy and light to install, might enjoy that.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-18 08:48 PM
    Many of us feel the same way. It's bittersweet, but the KEY-series phones really are quite good and certainly the best physical keyboard experience for Android.

You will appreciate having all the apps you need, all-day battery life, and the confidence and accuracy that comes with clicky keys.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    10-07-18 07:02 AM
    I tried this. It didn't work out. I've tried it twice, actually -- with the Priv (awesome screen and camera, but just too darn big and don't like the flat keys) and the KEYone (too many disappointments to list). I still have both of those phones, but neither is better for me than the Q10 or the Classic. The OS is quick and easy, and most importantly I can use the phones one-handed. You simply can't do that with the Droidberries. Nevertheless, I wish you well in your quest. I don't have the hardware issues you're having, so I won't pretend to be in your shoes.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-18 07:38 AM
    I remember the day my Passport came in the mail. It was truly a day I will never forget. I soaked up every detail of the experience, right down to cutting the tape to open the box. Seeing the new phone in all its sophisticated glory dressed up in its black tuxedo looking just marvelous.

The job I've had typing on the Passport is unrivaled to me and it probably got me into lots of trouble in this forum cause I couldn't shut up lol. I just love tapping away.

Bb10 was the best OS I've used. It only took a few hours to realize how brilliant it is. I don't suspect anyone's transition to be much fun after being on BB10 for so long.

I'm playing Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2 U", as I lay my Passport down back into its black square crib

10-07-18 07:50 AM
    Why torture yourself? That's what I'm asking.

BB10, just get me to Sailfish OS. Then we can have our last embrace.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-18 12:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    Jumping from one sinking ship to another?
    10-08-18 12:42 PM
    I'm using dual carry. As long as they support the OS I'm fine.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-18 01:14 PM
    I'm dual carry until either end of 2019 or my classic gives up the ghost. I did pre order the KeyTwo LE and can pick it up this Friday @ BestBuy so it might speed up things.

BB 10 is a good OS. It's better than iOS or Android (subjective of course) but it has its share of issues. We usually gloss over them at the end. From an all time OS perspective. I still say Windows Phone and live tiles brought more to the table than Apple or Android.

I'd say BB10 was only beat by WebOS from a pure UX.

WebOS
    BB 10
    Windows Phone
    Android
    iOS

Would be my list.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-18 09:16 PM
    I bought myself a used xperia x and latest sailfish. Have used it for about three weeks now. It's a nice OS.

Pro's: it's very stable. Everything just works, no heating, no need for restart. Android is 4.4.4 and running quite a lot newer versions of programs (ex latest instagram). These are running fast and stable, no running away as sometimes on bb10, no overheating. MS office e.g runs nicely.
    Cons: I can't be as productive as on bb10, the hub is superior. There is of course a lack of native apps, but quite a lot can be found. The camera is so far really ordinary (passport cam is better), sharpness is suboptimal. I don't know what I think of the UI, it's beautiful and in some senses practical but I tend to get confused and do the wrong things now and then.

Sailfish 3 is announced to october and will roll out in the middle for a last test. It's Definetly not dead, but it's so far a niche system. More Sony devices will be added, like xa2. Android for xa2 is said to be on 8.1 level (from an answer in there blog). Will see what will come.

Posted via CB10
    Invictus0 and cbosdell like this.
    10-08-18 11:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    There being no way on God's green earth to get ProtonMail to work on my Q10, I just this week got a new Xperia X (~$150) and licensed Sailfish X ($58) and flashed it and am one happy guy. Wish I had wifi calling, but that's expected in Sailfish 3 in a few months. Works fine with the ProtonMail/Android sideload and with my VPN of choice. Phone is really nice, too.

Wish Blackberry would cut a deal with Jolla for factory Blackberry devices running Sailfish.

Which, btw, is the nicest phone OS I've ever used. (I'd already been using it on the Gemini PDA.)
    Last edited by depscribe; 10-09-18 at 10:23 AM. Reason: fix typo, add last paragraph
    cbosdell likes this.
    10-09-18 10:16 AM
    Thanks for all the replies on this. The Key One came in the mail yesterday and, of course, opening the box was indeed a ritual. Unfortunately, opening the Passport has proven a tough act to follow.

In my opinion, without a doubt, the Passport is indeed a premium device and feels luxurious. The weight is substantial and the key presses are satisfying. I also appreciate the larger key size on the Passport. The Key One feels flimsy and cheap (and light and thin) and the keyboard takes me back to the Q10 but still feels of lesser quality; its presses are mushy without the feeling of needing to "break it in."

On the plus side for the Key One, tailoring Andorid last night was bittersweet but felt malleable. I felt a weight lifted off my chest as the apps were current and worked properly. I no longer felt the struggle of wondering if anything would properly fit in my screen, or if the app would be able to run at all. Even though the OS seems like it comes from an elementary school art room with redundant productivity features (Where the hell is my BlackBerry Hub?!), it was around 5 years ago when I moved from 5.1 or something from my Tour to BB10. A switch feels good, and I get to keep the standard BB10 ring tone at least.

Lastly, the comment about putting the Passport to bed in its packaging to Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares To You" is so ridiculously funny- I love it!

Posted via CB10
    10-10-18 10:54 AM
    Sailfish is still heavily developed and a major version is sheduled this month.

Beside, it is backed by some governments.

It is a little ship, but very different that BB10 which have been left behind years ago.

Posted via CB10
    cbosdell likes this.
    10-10-18 04:20 PM
    Whatever you do, try not to come to any conclusions on your DroidBerry experience after only a couple of days. It's going to be a major change but hopefully you will see the benefits of such a vast ecosystem.

Sure, the hub wont be the same and you'll have to unlearn what you have learned regarding bb10 gestures, but the KEYone is a fun little device (especially with Oreo) that I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

Unless you're the kind of person that only cares about phone calls, sms and emails and have zero use for apps and Google. In which case, we'll see you in a couple of days with a "I just returned my KEYone" thread!
    10-10-18 05:05 PM
    Sailfish is still heavily developed and a major version is sheduled this month.

Beside, it is backed by some governments.

It is a little ship, but very different that BB10 which have been left behind years ago.

Posted via CB10
    Just checked out what is going on with Sailfish and it's pretty cool. Support for Android 4.4 and its swiping is even more intense than BB10.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-18 07:09 PM
    the KEYone is a fun little device (especially with Oreo)

Unless you're the kind of person that only cares about phone calls, sms and emails and have zero use for apps and Google. In which case, we'll see you in a couple of days with a "I just returned my KEYone" thread!
    I enjoyed your comment but have to take issue with the word "little." The KEYone is objectively large. I'm pretty sure you were using the term figuratively, but I like complaining about the non-one-handable size of DroidBerries, and that's a "big" reason I put my KEYone in a drawer. That and Android still sucks.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-18 08:39 PM
    I enjoyed your comment but have to take issue with the word "little." The KEYone is objectively large. I'm pretty sure you were using the term figuratively, but I like complaining about the non-one-handable size of DroidBerries, and that's a "big" reason I put my KEYone in a drawer. That and Android still sucks.

Posted via CB10
    I noticed that misplaced descriptor also.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-18 02:47 AM
    You're right... I was being figurative. I too wish the KEYone was smaller.

I'm sorry Android didn't work out for you.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-18 04:33 AM
    the best smartphone I've used is the BlackBerry Passport, BB10 was just awesome, nothing compares this experience. I currently use the KeyOne and it's not the Passport on BB10 but it's acceptable and it's a lot better on Oreo 8.1
    10-11-18 08:34 AM
    I'm dual carry until either end of 2019 or my classic gives up the ghost. I did pre order the KeyTwo LE and can pick it up this Friday @ BestBuy so it might speed up things.

BB 10 is a good OS. It's better than iOS or Android (subjective of course) but it has its share of issues. We usually gloss over them at the end. From an all time OS perspective. I still say Windows Phone and live tiles brought more to the table than Apple or Android.

I'd say BB10 was only beat by WebOS from a pure UX.

WebOS
    BB 10
    Windows Phone
    Android
    iOS

Would be my list.

Posted via CB10
    I'd concur with that, though I have only a little experience with WebOS. IMO what we have seen is the decline of user-controlled secure data in a "strong" OS that is the center of the user experience to an app model where the user has less control of data which is provided to third parties to monetize in return for services, in a "weak" OS that is designed to prioritize the app experience in order to maximize app store revenue.

Those if us who prefer an environment where we control all of our data and our phones present our data to us in a secure manner are losing to a consumerist model where corporations give us access to our own data, which we trade for services.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    OrlandoAlex likes this.
    10-11-18 09:37 AM
    Great way to look at it - somewhere along the way the majority wanted a smartphone to be anything but a phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-18 09:56 AM
    Great way to look at it - somewhere along the way the majority wanted a smartphone to be anything but a phone.

Posted via CB10
    Ahhhhh......thanks for the translation. <g>

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    10-11-18 11:57 AM
    On the topic of PWAs... You can use those with Kiwi Browser on BB10!

Posted via CB10
    10-11-18 12:27 PM
    Someone school me. What's a PWA?

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    10-11-18 03:18 PM
38 12