May I please ask how one can backup BBW apps via Link? I read the Passport User Guide (yes, that big book!) and it doesn't explicitly state that apps can be backed up. Then again, maybe I missed something, but the thing is I would really like to "save" somewhere these native apps, if possible! many thanks!
    When you do a complete backup, apps are part of that.

You can also selectively backup individual apps.
    12-22-19 10:59 AM
    May I please ask how one can backup BBW apps via Link? I read the Passport User Guide (yes, that big book!) and it doesn't explicitly state that apps can be backed up. Then again, maybe I missed something, but the thing is I would really like to "save" somewhere these native apps, if possible! many thanks!
    Native BB apps can be backed up and "saved" using Link Just make sure you select "Complete Backup" before the process. You can also use the "custom backup" to select or deselect apps. NO android apk's will be backed up so you would have to reinstall those.
    12-22-19 11:02 AM
    Thank you both very much!!!
    12-22-19 11:06 AM
    Oh, gosh, I don't want to have to figure this all out. What is the importance of BB Protect being on or off again?

Is there really a way to back up all the BB World apps? Does this need to be done before 2020?

How certain are we that BB is going to pull the plug on BB World on 1/1/20? Does the BB ID server stay on?

Sorry, I 'm sure this has been covered somewhere but it's exhausting. I'm down to my backup Passport because my prior on had the antenna issue. (The antenna issue seems to take all of them if you keep them long enough.)
    Hey Fortress,

Please do not be concerned. Blackberry is on record saying all services will remain up and running, and there is evidence that Blackberry World will remain up in static mode. Backups are always great but you and all BB10 users should have no trouble.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-19 04:54 PM
    Hey saint,

You can also back up apps via Sachesi or DBBT if you don't want to use Link.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-19 04:54 PM
    I highly recommend taking the time to factory reset your BB10 phone, download and install your favorite apps from BlackBerry World, and make a complete backup via Link of that simple image (before adding back email accounts, notes. Contacts, tasks, etc.

Having a pristine backup of a clean phone with all your BlackBerry World apps is the best possible protection for the future (assuming BBID is still supported).

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    12-22-19 11:00 PM
    I highly recommend taking the time to factory reset your BB10 phone, download and install your favorite apps from BlackBerry World, and make a complete backup via Link of that simple image (before adding back email accounts, notes. Contacts, tasks, etc.

Having a pristine backup of a clean phone with all your BlackBerry World apps is the best possible protection for the future (assuming BBID is still supported).

Backups are definitely always a good thing. But for anyone concerned about imminent shutdowns, there is no evidence for anything being shut down after 12/31/19 (with the exception of BBW, and there are reliable sources which indicate that will be available in static mode).

Posted via CB10
    12-22-19 11:07 PM
    Backups are definitely always a good thing. But for anyone concerned about imminent shutdowns, there is no evidence for anything being shut down after 12/31/19 (with the exception of BBW, and there are reliable sources which indicate that will be available in static mode).

Posted via CB10
    Name a single "reliable source" suggesting that BlackBerry World will be extended in static mode. The only claim I've seen is yours, and it's second hand (with both the source and the messenger being anonymous).

I'm not saying it won't happen, but an anonymous poster on CB saying that they have a source on the inside is not a reasonable definition of a reliable source.

Even if there's only a 1 in 10 chance that BlackBerry World shuts down as scheduled, it would suck not to have a clean, tested backup.

Laura Knotek and Mecca EL like this.
    12-22-19 11:18 PM
    "...current device owners should be aware that we will be closing some ancillary services such as the BlackBerry World app store (12/31/2019)..."

-- BlackBerry Blog, 12/14/17

https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2017...g-your-loyalty

12-22-19 11:28 PM
    Name a single "reliable source" suggesting that BlackBerry World will be extended in static mode. The only claim I've seen is yours, and it's second hand (with both the source and the messenger being anonymous).

I'm not saying it won't happen, but an anonymous poster on CB saying that they have a source on the inside is not a reasonable definition of a reliable source.

Even if there's only a 1 in 10 chance that BlackBerry World shuts down as scheduled, it would suck not to have a clean, tested backup.

My sources requested I not publicize their names, as has happened many times, but I can tell you that they are inside Blackberry Limited and made these statements in their official capacity to corporate customers. This is why I state one has to trust me and those sources for the BBW in static mode part. I'm confident in my record concerning BB10 support and predictions.

Posted via CB10
    WES51 and cyberdoggie like this.
    12-22-19 11:31 PM
    "...current device owners should be aware that we will be closing some ancillary services such as the BlackBerry World app store (12/31/2019)..."

-- BlackBerry Blog, 12/14/17

https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2017...g-your-loyalty

This is abssolutely true. Blackberry Limited staff have since made other representations to corporate clients, but I fully understand one has to trust me and my sources to put faith in that.

However, as long as we're quoting BBL, you seem to have a lack of faith in their repeated statements regarding back-end services.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-19 11:33 PM
    My sources requested I not publicize their names, as has happened many times, but I can tell you that they are inside Blackberry Limited and made these statements in their official capacity to corporate customers. This is why I state one has to trust me and those sources for the BBW in static mode part. I'm confident in my record concerning BB10 support and predictions.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. I'm not trying to put you on the spot. It's just that I don't want people to have a false sense of security. I certainly hope your information is correct.

12-22-19 11:33 PM
    Thanks. I'm not trying to put you on the spot. It's just that I don't want people to have a false sense of security. I certainly hope your information is correct.

Oh I understand. I also don't want them to have a false sense of security, but at the same time I believe my sources, so I'm comfortable making the assertion. People have to decide whether they believe me to decide how much weight to give my statement. My record speaks for itself, however.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-19 11:35 PM

I too have been reporting that a developer got a memo from BlackBerry stating the same.

But I still wouldn't take any chances, as decisions change, mistakes are made, and information can be disseminated incorrectly.
    12-22-19 11:36 PM
    [QUOTE=TrumpetTiger;13474673
    However, as long as we're quoting BBL, you seem to have a lack of faith in their repeated statements regarding back-end services. [/QUOTE]

Absolutely right. When it comes to technology services, I have zero faith in any company doing anything to which they have not explicitly committed themselves in a legally enforceable manner.

For me, the fact that BlackBerry has not guaranteed an extended support period besides "beyond 12/31" can only be read as a statement that, while they intend to continue support for some time, they are unwilling to make a commitment. In that context, I am forced to plan for the worst, which is a complete shutdown anytime after 12/31/19 with little or no warning.

I certainly don't think that's the intent, but I don't give a damn about intentions unless they are in writing with an executive signature below it.

12-22-19 11:40 PM
    Absolutely right. When it comes to technology services, I have zero faith in any company doing anything to which they have not the explicitly committed themselves in a legally enforceable manner.

For me, the fact that BlackBerry has not guaranteed an extended support period besides "beyond 12/31" can only be read as a statement that, while they intend to continue support for some time, they are unwilling to make a commitment. In that context, I am forced to plan for the worst, which is a complete shutdown anytime after 12/31/19 with little or no warning.

I certainly don't think that's the intent, but I don't give a damn about intentions unless they are in writing with an executive signature below it.

Clearly that is the only sensible course of action. Always plan for the worst. Anything else would be reckless.
    12-22-19 11:43 PM
    Absolutely right. When it comes to technology services, I have zero faith in any company doing anything to which they have not explicitly committed themselves in a legally enforceable manner.

Blackberry Limited HAS committed to extended support for back-end services beyond 12/31 (BBW is a separate matter), and has done so in print and in a way that reasonable users and businesses would rely upon. That is legally enforceable. You may believe otherwise, and that is certainly your right, but it does not change the legal enforceability of the statement.

Posted via CB10
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    12-22-19 11:48 PM
    I keep seeing the word trust come up. I have never found trust to be a good policy when it comes to unwritten company policies. I don't "trust" anyone posting anonymously on any Internet forum.

So, if anyone here is asking for my trust, please don't bother. You're not going to get it. The most you'll get from me is that I believe you to be sincere.

12-22-19 11:49 PM
    Blackberry Limited HAS committed to extended support for back-end services beyond 12/31 (BBW is a separate matter), and has done so in print and in a way that reasonable users and businesses would rely upon. That is legally enforceable. You may believe otherwise, and that is certainly your right, but it does not change the legal enforceability of the statement.

Posted via CB10
    If they shut down backend services on 1/10/2020, they will have fulfilled their promise. I don't believe for a moment that that is their intent, but they have provided no guarantees that backend services will work on 1/11/2020. I've read the quote, and it's completely ambiguous, legally.

12-22-19 11:51 PM
    Also, their commitment, though in writing, is NOT an enforceable contract, as there has been no exchange of value. I know I haven't paid them to extend their services.

Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-22-19 11:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    They haven't committed to extend support. They simply state that back-end services are not currently EOL.

"It is not intended to indicate that the back-end infrastructure that provides services to these devices are in an EOL state."
    12-22-19 11:54 PM
    If they shut down backend services on 1/10/2020, they will have fulfilled their promise. I don't believe for a moment that that is their intent, but they have provided no guarantees that backend services will work on 1/11/2020. I've read the quote, and it's completely ambiguous, legally.

I'm sorry, but that's not correct. Speaking as a lawyer that is a legally enforceable promise. Any ambiguity is construed against the drafter, and thus anyone arguing your position would not prevail under basic principles of contract law.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-19 11:56 PM
    Also, their commitment, though in writing, is NOT an enforceable contract, as there has been no exchange of value. I know I haven't paid them to extend their services.

This is indeed a legally enforceable contract, as one party (BBL) is offering to keep services on for an indefinite amount of time. By using those services beyond 12/31/2019, we users are accepting that offer. The consideration is the value we derive from the use of the services.

Posted via CB10
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    12-23-19 12:00 AM
    I'm sorry, but that's not correct. Speaking as a lawyer that is a legally enforceable promise. Any ambiguity is construed against the drafter, and thus anyone arguing your position would not prevail under basic principles of contract law.

Posted via CB10
    What's the specific promise, and what is the consideration?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-23-19 12:01 AM
    What's the specific promise, and what is the consideration?
    See my post above.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-19 12:03 AM
115 12345