I would wait as prices may be affected downward as suppliers might want to clear EOL surplus soon. Worst case scenario, they are the exact same price as now. No loose situation.
    I hadn't thought about this possibility. Many thanks Crusader!
    12-17-19 08:41 AM
    I would wait as prices may be affected downward as suppliers might want to clear EOL surplus soon. Worst case scenario, they are the exact same price as now. No loose situation.
    Unless they sell off the remaining stock before you get there!

Posted via CB10 using my P'9982 running 10.3.3.3216
    12-17-19 08:56 AM
    Unless they sell off the remaining stock before you get there!

This is another possibility too. It's also happened to me when I tried to find a new mic/speaker for my SE, only to find out that it's not available anymore...As it turned out, the speaker sorted itself out the next day, only to stop functioning a few days later. I may need to try and find a used, working part.
    12-17-19 09:13 AM
    That's a great question. Link is not officially supported on Windows 10, and, while getting it to work has never been an issue for me, many have had problems with it.

I hope to do a clean install and document how I get it to work when I do, but here are three tips I've found helpful in the past:

1) Perform a clean install of Link.
    2) Disable VPNs
    3) run Link as administrator

I think it's critical to fully test any backup/restore procedures you intend to use prior to Dec. 31. Too any people THINK they have a plan, until they actually need it.

Also, if the BBID servers ever go down, Link won't support your phone's backup and restore services.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    I'm wondering how many people have done clean installs of their devices using a backup that INCLUDES their apps. In other words, not re-installing their apps off of BBWorld but off of their backup.

There must be someone out there that has a lot of experience with this. This seems like vital information right now.
    12-17-19 01:36 PM
    I use Ultimate Backup as suggested here but have never reinstalled from it. Not even sure Apps are backed up on it. Also curious to know. Hopefully someone will be along soon to add clarity.
    12-17-19 01:45 PM
    I use Ultimate Backup as suggested here but have never reinstalled from it. Not even sure Apps are backed up on it. Also curious to know. Hopefully someone will be along soon to add clarity.
    No apps. No device settings. No Wi-Fi. No bookmarks.
    12-17-19 01:50 PM
    So there really is no way to backup our BBW Apps? Unfortunate,
    12-17-19 01:59 PM
    So there really is no way to backup our BBW Apps? Unfortunate,
    Only BlackBerry Link can backup apps. But it can only restore if the BBID infrastructure is still running.
    12-17-19 02:01 PM
    Aye, there's the rub! Thanks,
    12-17-19 02:04 PM
    It's pretty much data....

For me I always used OneDrive for my Photos/Documents, my email/contacts/calendar were all cloud. Mostly used Ultimate Backup for SMS/MMS backup.

Apps only hope is developers giving access outside of BBW....

Or BlackBerry not shuttting it down.
    12-17-19 02:18 PM
    I've restored apps with Link before. Works fine as it actually brings over any saved data with it.

However, that is all I restore using Link. I also do a selective restore leaving out the runtime app, and any of the stock apps which do get listed.

I never back up Settings, so it's not there to restore. Media, I take care of manually.
    12-17-19 02:33 PM
    Aye, there's the rub! Thanks,
    Yes, we know if BBID goes away we are sort of screwed in terms of creating new devices bought off eBay, etc. But personally I don't think they shut off BBID for some time. I'm more worried about accessing my apps for a new device.

Can you use your Link backup for a Z30 to populate the apps on a Passport? Or a Z10?
    12-17-19 02:40 PM
    I've restored apps with Link before. Works fine as it actually brings over any saved data with it.

However, that is all I restore using Link. I also do a selective restore leaving out the runtime app, and any of the stock apps which do get listed.

I never back up Settings, so it's not there to restore. Media, I take care of manually.
    Do you have to restore on the same device? Or on the same species of BB10 device? (Like a Passport backup can't be used on a Z30 or vice versa?)
    12-17-19 02:41 PM
    My strategy for Link is to keep things simple. Before the 31st I will factory reset my phone, install just the apps I want from BBW and NO other accounts or data, and back up this simple image with Link as my "Fresh Restore" backup. That way, if any files become corrupted in the future, I have a pristine backup image to use.

I will then perform a security wipe and TEST this restore point before the 31st!

After that, I'll continue to make periodic backups using Link, but I'll know I can always start over with my clean backup if needed.

If the BBID servers go down, I'll lose my BBW apps at the next wipe. That's a known risk and no big deal.

app_Developer likes this.
    12-17-19 02:57 PM
    Do you have to restore on the same device? Or on the same species of BB10 device? (Like a Passport backup can't be used on a Z30 or vice versa?)
    I don't know. I've only ever had a Z10. But, as I understand it, it can restore to any device as long as you use the same BBID.

I found out last year that the BBID is important. I had to change mine from a long time email address I had since BlackBerry started using them. I had moved and had to use a different ISP, so my old email with my old ISP had to be let go.

I changed it on my phone and re-signed in on Link with no problem. Only later did I find out that all my previous backups are no longer accessible.

Not that big a deal, my Notepad notes were already copied over to Evernote, and everything else were just apps that I could still download and backup again with the new BBID.
    12-17-19 03:12 PM
    it can restore to any device as long as you use the same BBID.
    You also need the same OS as on the Link backup.
    12-17-19 03:22 PM
    You also need the same OS as on the Link backup.
    And to keep your fingers crossed....

Selective Backups worked OK, but full fledged backup and restores were always and issue for me. I'd suggest folks play with it some, get a spare device and see how things go. But make sure anything they want is backed up in a format that can be accessed from a non-BB10 device.
    12-17-19 03:50 PM

Selective Backups worked OK, but full fledged backup and restores were always and issue for me. I'd suggest folks play with it some, get a spare device and see how things go. But make sure anything they want is backed up in a format that can be accessed from a non-BB10 device.
    Wise advice, indeed.
    12-17-19 03:58 PM

Agreed. An untested backup procedure is not a plan!

Because my business is helping companies reduce losses due to cyber incidents, I run a little experiment every month.

I have six devices that I rely on to get my work done (two phones, two Windows PCs, a Mac, and a Linux laptop), which I number 1-6. On the 3rd Monday of each month, I roll a six-sided die and pretend that the machine corresponding to that number has been irreparably compromised. I immediately turn it off and have to reset it completely using my backup procedures. It's a great exercise that gives me a great deal.of confidence that I can withstand a major cyber event.

Ironically, the one device I've been cheating on is my daily driver Z10, because I've been avoiding a complete reinstallation of BlackBerry Link (on two machines) and the troubleshooting that will likely follow. But I can't put that off any more!

12-17-19 03:59 PM
    This is all great info. So there is the possibility to launch new BB10 devices in 2020 -- if we do a little preparation. Make a good backup and you can load all your BB10 apps. I presume the autoloaders will still work. I'm feeling a little better.

My one hiccup might be Blackbullet which I have to constantly re-install. It stops working for some reason and I have to re-install all the time. Maybe some developers will let us download these off of BBWorld (if that's even possible).

Interesting point about maintaining your same email address to avoid problems with BBID.
    12-19-19 12:53 AM
    ... My one hiccup might be Blackbullet which I have to constantly re-install. It stops working for some reason and I have to re-install all the time. Maybe some developers will let us download these off of BBWorld (if that's even possible) ...
    Please contact the developer QtHelex, I'm sure he will help you. If not, write me a PN.
    12-19-19 01:43 AM
    Make a good backup and you can load all your BB10 apps.
    Just to clarify, your ability to restore your apps depend on the continued existence of the BB10 BBID infrastructure.
    12-19-19 07:20 AM
    Yes, we know if BBID goes away we are sort of screwed in terms of creating new devices bought off eBay, etc. But personally I don't think they shut off BBID for some time. I'm more worried about accessing my apps for a new device.

Can you use your Link backup for a Z30 to populate the apps on a Passport? Or a Z10?
    In answer to your question, yes you can restore between different devices provided they both have the same BBID and I believe same OS version.

I regularly restore between my Classic, Passport and P'9982 without problems.

The only issue you may come across is that not all apps are available for all devices and they will generally not be restored to the device they are not available for.

12-19-19 08:25 AM
    Thanks all. This has helped me a lot!
    12-19-19 11:16 AM
    BlackBerry Protect prevents anyone who steals your device from being able to use it. If they reset it they will need to provide your BBID and PW in order to set it up for themselves. Probably not a big deal am this point.

Protect also allows the user to remotely perform a security wipe of the phone, guaranteeing that it cannot be used to recover data.

BlackBerry World apps can be backed up via Link, but Link often requires some troubleshooting to get it to work properly.

BlackBerry announced that BlackBerry World would close on 12/31/2019 over a year ago. There have been speculation and rumors, but no official statement, that BlackBerry may delay the closure.

BlackBerry has indicated that the BBID and Protect servers will not be turned off on Dec 31, but has made no explicit commitment to extend support through any specific date.

May I please ask how one can backup BBW apps via Link? I read the Passport User Guide (yes, that big book!) and it doesn't explicitly state that apps can be backed up. Then again, maybe I missed something, but the thing is I would really like to "save" somewhere these native apps, if possible! many thanks!
    12-22-19 10:46 AM
115 1234 ...