We still haven't heard any news to contradict the announced plan to close BlackBerry World before 1/1/20, so those of us who haven't found greater happiness with a newer solution need to make our "go forward" plans.

Here's mine for the next two weeks for my BB10 phones. My assumption is that BlackBerry World will close, but that I will still have access to the BBID servers for a while longer.

1) archive a copy of the latest autoloaders for my phones

2) make a list of my "essential" apps in BBW

3) back up all data on each phone to another format that can be opened by widely available software, especially contacts, notes, and tasks.

3) perform a full security wipe for each device to remove any corrupt files and old fragments of code from software I no longer use

4) setup my phone with my BBID, and turn on BlackBerry Protect. (Please note that a sudden, permanent loss of the BBID or BlackBerry Protect servers would likely make it impossible for me to set up my phone in the future. That's a risk I will take for now.)

5) Reinstall all BlackBerry World apps in my "go forward" list (5-10 max).

6) Set up all synching accounts (6 in my case)

7) ensure that all data on my phones is synched daily until they stop working.

That's my plan. What's yours?
    12-14-19 04:05 PM
    What's yours?
    Pretend nothing drastic will happen, procrastinate some more, then see what happens and complain about it when all is gone! J/K, I'm already prepared and am ok if everything goes to hell.

I'm good with my android device and really have nothing super important on my Passport. I've got the latest autoloader saved up, and have a Link backup plus an Ultimate Backup backup. I have the all the apps I will ever need and if they go I'll just deal with it, no biggy.

Here is my prediction: BBW will still work on Jan 2/2020 and will continue to work for the foreseeable future as will Protect and the BBID.
    Mecca EL and saint300 like this.
    12-14-19 04:31 PM
    My plan:

1) Box up all my BB10 devices (10 of them)

2) Write down my BBID and password on a sticky note and throw it in the box

3) PM bb10adopter111 and ask him for his address

4) Ship the box to bb10adopter111 's house

5) bb10adopter111 goes through steps 1-7 for each of my devices

6) bb10adopter111 re-boxes all my devices and ships them back to me

7) Wait for the apocalypse
    elfabio80, Mecca EL and deltaTgm like this.
    12-14-19 04:48 PM
    My plan:

Sounds good to me...

I’ve only got 8 BB10 devices and I don’t want @conite to feel ignored and downtrodden so I’ll send them his way in a similar manner.
    saint300 likes this.
    12-14-19 05:41 PM
    Sounds good to me...

I’ve only got 8 BB10 devices and I don’t want @conite to feel ignored and downtrodden so I’ll send them his way in a similar manner.
    I'll get the packing tape ready.
    12-14-19 05:42 PM
    We still haven't heard any news to contradict the announced plan to close BlackBerry World before 1/1/20, so those of us who haven't found greater happiness with a newer solution need to make our "go forward" plans.

Here's mine for the next two weeks for my BB10 phones. My assumption is that BlackBerry World will close, but that I will still have access to the BBID servers for a while longer.

1) archive a copy of the latest autoloaders for my phones

2) make a list of my "essential" apps in BBW

3) back up all data on each phone to another format that can be opened by widely available software, especially contacts, notes, and tasks.

3) perform a full security wipe for each device to remove any corrupt files and old fragments of code from software I no longer use

4) setup my phone with my BBID, and turn on BlackBerry Protect. (Please note that a sudden, permanent loss of the BBID or BlackBerry Protect servers would likely make it impossible for me to set up my phone in the future. That's a risk I will take for now.)

5) Reinstall all BlackBerry World apps in my "go forward" list (5-10 max).

6) Set up all synching accounts (6 in my case)

7) ensure that all data on my phones is synched daily until they stop working.

That's my plan. What's yours?
    So, when you mention making a list of essential apps in BBW, could you please elaborate? We won't have access to BBW, so how do we access said apps for say a restore? I also have an Ultimate Backup but don't believe BBW Apps are backed up there? Thanks in advance,

PS - Plan "B" is also in full effect, it's called the K2...

Posted via my Passport
    12-14-19 06:14 PM
    What's yours?
    Switch to Android or iOS.
    Enough with a very long time dead platform.
    Last edited by John Albert; 12-14-19 at 08:34 PM.
    the_boon, pgg101, melhiore and 2 others like this.
    12-14-19 06:36 PM
    My plan:

You forgot the part where you include a check for $1,000.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    12-14-19 07:54 PM
    So, when you mention making a list of essential apps in BBW, could you please elaborate? We won't have access to BBW, so how do we access said apps for say a restore? I also have an Ultimate Backup but don't believe BBW Apps are backed up there? Thanks in advance,

PS - Plan "B" is also in full effect, it's called the K2...

Posted via my Passport
    I want the list so I can add them back after I wipe my device BEFORE the 31st.

12-14-19 07:55 PM
    Switching to Android or iOS.
    Enough with a very long dead platform.
    If Android or iOS satisfy your requirements, that's a great plan. I'm not so lucky.

12-14-19 07:56 PM
  11. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    I hope blackberry ndroid can be injected to them

 BlackBerry Passport RED Edition 10.3.3.2049
    12-14-19 09:01 PM
    I've got a Passport set up with no BBID just in case... android-only + preinstalled apps. My Classic is still set up with my BBID because I use it as my daily driver and need the native apps but if the .bar files for those are released I'll wipe it and set it up without a BBID.
    anon(5597702) and WES51 like this.
    12-14-19 10:57 PM
    I hope blackberry ndroid can be injected to them
    You will be hoping for a very, very long time.
    12-15-19 12:22 AM
    I've got a Passport set up with no BBID just in case... android-only + preinstalled apps. My Classic is still set up with my BBID because I use it as my daily driver and need the native apps but if the .bar files for those are released I'll wipe it and set it up without a BBID.
    I figure since my phone has never needed a factory reset in almost seven years, the chance of me needing to do one in the next 5 or so after resetting it next week are slim, so I'm going to keep my BBID on the phone and maintain BlackBerry Protect.

I have every hope I'll be using my Z10 until the radio bands are no longer supported for 4G LTE.

12-15-19 12:35 AM
    I intend to carry on as usual; so much so that I plan to buy the frame and complete LCD screen for my PP SE in the coming days.
    12-15-19 07:59 AM
    I intend to carry on as usual; so much so that I plan to buy the frame and complete LCD screen for my PP SE in the coming days.
    Yes, I'm stocking up on spare parts as well as a backup new Z10.

12-15-19 09:44 AM
    I already prepared for this day since my switch from 9900 to Classic around March of this year.

I run my Classic BBID less and with preinstalled apps only and getting 1x reminder every 24h to set up BBID.
    the_boon likes this.
    12-15-19 03:43 PM
    I already prepared for this day since my switch from 9900 to Classic around March of this year.

I run my Classic BBID less and with preinstalled apps only and getting 1x reminder every 24h to set up BBID.
    If you don't delete the reminder, I don't think it comes back to bother you all the time
    12-15-19 04:16 PM
    If you don't delete the reminder, I don't think it comes back to bother you all the time
    Good tipp. I give it a try!
    12-15-19 04:20 PM
    Oh, gosh, I don't want to have to figure this all out. What is the importance of BB Protect being on or off again?

Is there really a way to back up all the BB World apps? Does this need to be done before 2020?

How certain are we that BB is going to pull the plug on BB World on 1/1/20? Does the BB ID server stay on?

Sorry, I 'm sure this has been covered somewhere but it's exhausting. I'm down to my backup Passport because my prior on had the antenna issue. (The antenna issue seems to take all of them if you keep them long enough.)
    12-16-19 12:06 AM
    Oh, gosh, I don't want to have to figure this all out. What is the importance of BB Protect being on or off again?

Is there really a way to back up all the BB World apps? Does this need to be done before 2020?

How certain are we that BB is going to pull the plug on BB World on 1/1/20? Does the BB ID server stay on?

Sorry, I 'm sure this has been covered somewhere but it's exhausting. I'm down to my backup Passport because my prior on had the antenna issue. (The antenna issue seems to take all of them if you keep them long enough.)
    BlackBerry Protect prevents anyone who steals your device from being able to use it. If they reset it they will need to provide your BBID and PW in order to set it up for themselves. Probably not a big deal am this point.

Protect also allows the user to remotely perform a security wipe of the phone, guaranteeing that it cannot be used to recover data.

BlackBerry World apps can be backed up via Link, but Link often requires some troubleshooting to get it to work properly.

BlackBerry announced that BlackBerry World would close on 12/31/2019 over a year ago. There have been speculation and rumors, but no official statement, that BlackBerry may delay the closure.

BlackBerry has indicated that the BBID and Protect servers will not be turned off on Dec 31, but has made no explicit commitment to extend support through any specific date.

12-16-19 01:15 AM
    BlackBerry Protect prevents anyone who steals your device from being able to use it. If they reset it they will need to provide your BBID and PW in order to set it up for themselves. Probably not a big deal am this point.

Protect also allows the user to remotely perform a security wipe of the phone, guaranteeing that it cannot be used to recover data.

BlackBerry World apps can be backed up via Link, but Link often requires some troubleshooting to get it to work properly.

BlackBerry announced that BlackBerry World would close on 12/31/2019 over a year ago. There have been speculation and rumors, but no official statement, that BlackBerry may delay the closure.

BlackBerry has indicated that the BBID and Protect servers will not be turned off on Dec 31, but has made no explicit commitment to extend support through any specific date.

Thanks for this. So it seems that BB World is really the issue. I keep buying Passports off of eBay as my old ones break. I should be able to do clean installs and sign into my BB account after 2020, right?

The issue will be losing access to my favorite apps on BB World, correct?

But if it's possible to back up my apps using Link (that blows my mind) then in theory I could re-load them on a new-to-me Passport after a clean install in 2020?

How reliable is the app backup procedure on Link? I've never tried it since I've never had a reason to, I guess.

Thanks!
    12-16-19 03:06 PM
    Thanks for this. So it seems that BB World is really the issue. I keep buying Passports off of eBay as my old ones break. I should be able to do clean installs and sign into my BB account after 2020, right?

But if it's possible to back up my apps using Link (that blows my mind) then in theory I could re-load them on a new-to-me Passport after a clean install in 2020?

How reliable is the app backup procedure on Link? I've never tried it since I've never had a reason to, I guess.

Thanks!
    The only issue is that if BBID for BB10 breaks again like it did a couple of times this year, there may not be anyone around to fix it.

If that's the case, you will not be able to reload an OS, restore a Link backup, or use BlackBerry Protect.

The safest course of action is to assume that native apps will no longer be available after 2019.
    12-16-19 03:13 PM

Thanks!
    That's a great question. Link is not officially supported on Windows 10, and, while getting it to work has never been an issue for me, many have had problems with it.

I hope to do a clean install and document how I get it to work when I do, but here are three tips I've found helpful in the past:

1) Perform a clean install of Link.
    2) Disable VPNs
    3) run Link as administrator

I think it's critical to fully test any backup/restore procedures you intend to use prior to Dec. 31. Too any people THINK they have a plan, until they actually need it.

Also, if the BBID servers ever go down, Link won't support your phone's backup and restore services.

12-16-19 03:15 PM
    I would wait as prices may be affected downward as suppliers might want to clear EOL surplus soon. Worst case scenario, they are the exact same price as now. No loose situation.
    saint300 likes this.
    12-16-19 03:33 PM
115 123 ...