so please dont expect any more from me on this. it is what it is.
    I love when people close with this remark. You are wrong, and deluded. Good luck

Real people like the OP who thinks efficiency and design intent is about making a device what his personal opinion of 'best' is? beta testers should test a device or application to its intended purpose not 'what they want'.

afaik so far there are two 'bugs' text messages icon going to hub not always in an out of texts and the one I found which I posted on. (search if you want to find it). rest is user opinion because somethings different....doesnt make it wrong or poor beta testing.
    oh look, you came immediately back to comment again. Huzzah. The inability to set notifications at a granular level will **** nearly all BB power users off. Perhaps you aren't a power user?

OP: In Regards to #17: are you stating that a deleted message on your bb10 will still show up on my work computer? I just want to make sure that I am understanding that correctly.
    it seems too, yes. GMAIL sync has always been a bit "iffy" but previously it seemed to flow through more or less immediately. I am currently waiting about 3 hours for messages deleted on my Z10 to delete on my PC

That's possibly fair comment - it's inevitable that not everything will make it through any product transition. Some features will be lost in the name of an overall better user experience and product... that's progress for ya! However, much is made of RIM's existing 80M subscriber base and how they're anticipated to be the core market for BB10. To then release a phone that takes away functionality that they've come to expect after seeing it in every BB phone since the year dot... (and it's hard to see some of the things on OP's list as "improvements")... is that smart business practice?
    GIVE THIS MAN A PRIZE! That's exactly it. A vast majority of BB users are going to be pretty annoyed at stuff that has changed, esp the Notifications/Alerts. On the other hand, they will be blown away by the browser!

With that said, because you are considering the Bold 9900(which is a GREAT phone I love mine to pieces minus the camera), how about I send you my beloved 9900 and you send me your Z10. I

After reading that a few of these issues can be rectified (e.g. changing the "confirm delete" setting allows you to delete emails without two taps), OP are you still returning the phone?
    today the phone has stopped ringing (seriously.. about to update the OP list) so it's looking a bit more likely :-( - I must admit BBM in Landscape via the Hub method had me a lot happier

But youre judgement of whats 'missing' is based on the assumption the system has an existing set of features. BB10 doesn't its NEW.....its features are tested against what its DESIGN says it should do. NOT what a bunch of users *think* it should do in their preference.... now in 12 months if a feature is added and layered on top of BB10 then doesnt work as it should UAT would pick that up. BB10 is new, its isnt BB7, its doesnt have to have every feature of BB7....get over it or go get another device, we all have that choice.
    this is nonsense. Absolute horse****. And yes, you **** me off with your posting style. What made BB great (any device)? Collective things that 90%+ users LOVE - delete device vs device & server, push email, customisable notifications by alert type - including volume (remember "Level 1"???). I'm really sorry - either you're not a power user, or you're a fan boy who refused to accept these mistakes by RIM. Or both. And... you've posted again!

And... on your closing sentence... I've read a number of reviews commenting on the voice quality of phone calls made on the Z10... they don't heap praise on it.
    I must say the call volume and the speaker (which was also slammed in some reviews) is excellent!

I think you are overestimating the amount of functionality changes that would occur based on a beta test because the reality is that you will have a wide variety of responses to anything that isn't directly a bug and as such they will not change a feature to make a few people happy if it would in turn make another few annoyed by the change and would tend to focus on ensuring the original feature worked.
    what surprises me is how the RIM employees who have been using this thing, and iterations of it, for more than a YEAR, didn't mention things like the notifications or the very slow portrait/landscape switching

why? we dont know what another release is planned to build. all systems develop functionality in waves, core first and so on. what's going to be in the next release???? who is to say what is working now is wrong? for me it isn't wrong. It meets all my use cases except for bridge (which we may see updates for yet who knows). If I want to bother picking over the feature list of BB7 and everything I have used at one point or another I will find things I cant do, however thats just plain dumb. Its like having a windows pc, then going out and buying a mac and then ******** it cant do x. its a new system.
    What made BB great (any device) over the last 10 years? Collective things that 90%+ users LOVE - delete device vs device & server, push email, customisable notifications by alert type - including volume (remember "Level 1"???). IT IS NOT A NEW SYSTEM. It is another evolution. They don't suddenly forget everything cool they have ever done before hence why things like BBM get included again
    02-03-13 11:47 AM
    Originally Posted by thorstenpleasefixit
    if you can't be bothered then THAT SAYS IT ALL. I can be bothered. I LOVE MY BB 9780 and waited a long time for this device. I am taking AFFIRMATIVE action to get RIM to fix some, frankly, INSANE design choices that will really **** their loyal (and rightly so) followers off. But if you can't be bothered, enjoy.

So the phone does not meet YOUR "design choices", pity.

I read this whole thread,good god what punishment I hand myself at times,lol.

Anyway, of your 35 issues I see at most 5 that are worthy of an update perhaps, the rest seem personal choice, user error or rash conclusions without digging deeper.

I'm all for these type of threads to flush out issues worthy of updates etc but your forum name and frankly attitude leave a lot to be desired in my opinion. Most approach updates/fixes in a calm rational manner, without undertones that deride from the concept of updates.

Seems your approach is more about SCREAMING like a wounded animal , with the pretence asserted on your part that this is a needed approach to get updates quicker, newsflash. .... when my child screams for a want/item in public I don't follow through.

Myself I will look to other threads for update idea's, fixes etc , sort of the approach Kevin took in calm rational manner.
    vespajet and bb10_fan like this.
    02-03-13 11:51 AM
    Who cares how long it took apple? We are talking about bbos moving from one generation to another.
    I was referring to the other guy who was bashing over blackberry and the "perfect" os.
    02-03-13 11:54 AM
    Why would anyone expect a newly born OS to be bug free or perfect? If it's not hardware related issues, then a patch will fix it. I have lost counts on how many patches i loaded to my 9900 and honestly it is getting better and better. I am sure the new BB10 will be just as good as BB7, if not better.
    quit with the "new" already! when I make a "new" car I still include really obvious things like the wheels. Leaving out customisable notifications (for a BB power user who has used BB for years) is akin to leaving the 4th wheel off your new car!

Oh it will be better. A lot of people don't realize that yes BlackBerry has been around, but this is a totally brand new operating system. It brand new. Stage 1. They are comparing it to BB OS7... *7* Of course BB OS7 is more mature. It's been around way longer! The majority of the things we love about the legacy BB OS were not available in version 1. They came along gradually in many updates. Imagine BB10 in it's seventh iteration. Yes, there are bugs right now. Yes, there are shortcomings. Which first generation OS didn't have those? The first iphone couldn't even send picture messages when my tiny flip phone could do that for years before! I have full faith this OS will mature quite nicely over the years.
    it will get better I'm sure. I'm not sure how long it will take. I don't know if RIM have time on their hands either. And that's the worst thing really - my main option at the moment looks to be a 9900, but then I go back to a (fairly awful) browser and camera

I couldn't agree more. OS7 was the result of years & years of "tweaks". 10 is, in effect, starting over for BlackBerry (formerly RIM).
    I wouldn't think it would be "all things" to all users.....YET. It is a bit of a drag that BlackBerry is basically starting over in 2013, but that is a fact. The time it'll take to get "on par" with Android and iOS will be minimal.
    leaving out some obvious stuff that has made BB great over the years is a big of a crazy decision. The only crazier decision that the "one notification to rule them all" one would be to have dropped BBM

Somewhat confused as to what the OP expects from a 1.0 version OS..... Every first gen OS is riddled with omittions and bugs.... If you expect performance of a v 1.2 or higher simply wait six months to a year for the upgrades..... The arguments everyone keeps making about bugs is astounding to me... They should have tried the first gen Iphone like I did.... Talk about bugs and omittions... still waiting for cut and paste.... If you want to be on the bleeding edge then be prepared to bleed a little...
    guys... THIS IS NOT A VERSION 1.0 O/S. Even if in "code" it is (which it isn't) - RIM don't suddenly forget every cool thing they have ever coded before!

Hi OP. I don't have time right now to read all the responses to your original post. I will have to come back later as it seems a lot of good information is coming out. I don't have a problem with you voicing your opinions at all. However I do take issue with the ones where you say 'you will want...'. Please don't presume to know what I like to have on my phone. For example - I couldn't care less if bbm opens in landscape. I much prefer to type in portrait. Some of your other issues are similar - they are issues for some people and not for others. Some of them are design choices and you will find these with any OS. Out of your list there were 3 points that I personally would like to see addressed by BlackBerry. And I have confidence that they will be. Only you can decide what are 'dealbreakers' for you, but it does sound like, with so many things bothering you about the Z10, you would be better off to send it back and go with a phone that more meets your needs.
    uh, a BB 9780 (or 9900)??!?!

That phrase "you will want" is a regional UK mannerism that I have found at times when I've traveled there.
    yep

Maybe wrong cause don't have a z10 yet. But thought bb balance took care of the e-mail and message separation when not wanting notifications from work on weekends or evenings.
    perhaps, but e.g. the 3 mailboxes I am thinking of are all "work" related
    02-03-13 11:55 AM
    guys... THIS IS NOT A VERSION 1.0 O/S. Even if in "code" it is (which it isn't) - RIM don't suddenly forget every cool thing they have ever coded before!
    Except that it is. At most, it shares the kernel and a few minor features with BlackBerry Tablet OS. Everything else had to be rewritten in Cascades, because the PlayBook used Adobe AIR (which was rubbish). And when you have to rewrite everything from scratch, it becomes difficult to concentrate on the details. They'll need an update or two to really polish the details, and I'm sure they're already hard at work on the next update. I'd expect at least one update before the US launch. But at this point in time, it is what it is - there are features missing from BlackBerry 10 that I have on my 9810 which I'm going to miss as well. But the Z10 still serves me better than any other phone available today, and I'm confident BlackBerry is going to improve things significantly in upcoming updates.
    jesse_h and sniffer280 like this.
    02-03-13 12:03 PM
    OP, it actually sounds like you went to as many forums as you could and aggregated every single complaint that anybody has made about the z10 and wrote them all out as your own. Why would someone do something like that? Well probably because you're being paid to do this, you're an instigator, a troll. Thanks for stopping by.
    Jesse,

I am really impressed by the OP's post, the input from other CB members, and the OP's subsequent edits of the original post. I have found this post very informative (fyi, I'm waiting until I can compare the Z10 & X10 before I purchase - I'm also waiting to see if the functionality released suits my needs - this post has certainly helped to inform me about the current functionality of the Z10)

However, I find that your post is the opposite of impressive, as your post seems to be aimed at suppressing the dissemination of honest information about the Z10.

Alex
    02-03-13 12:09 PM
    I still want to know if OP is still planning to send it back?
    jesse_h likes this.
    02-03-13 12:11 PM
    Sorry but I have to ask this, you still have the phone? I thought you were sending it back. Just wondering when....

Opps sorry someone beat me to my question...
    Last edited by La Emperor; 02-03-13 at 12:18 PM. Reason: question was already asked..
    jesse_h likes this.
    02-03-13 12:16 PM
    I am in no doubt this person is a troll..........perhaps the thread should be locked and you can go return your phone and get another that meets your specific needs
    Like a phone that rings you mean?
    02-03-13 12:18 PM
    rejoice a reboot has made the phone ring again!
    02-03-13 12:19 PM
    rejoice a reboot has made the phone ring again!
    Of course we have no proof it ever stopped ringing, we do have proof you like big bold fonts.
    jesse_h likes this.
    02-03-13 12:25 PM
    To the OP, I get there is issues with a new platform and sure BB has taken a few steps back in certain respects and sure they need to be corrected. But this is the released version and the real issue here is what BB does with the feedback esp. before the US launch. Your approach here is to "through the baby out with the bath water" if you get my saying.. I think all is fixable by software and certainly do-able in an upcoming release. If things are broken, I'm confident that BB will fix them. This phone launch is way more important to the company than the playbook and BB needs to focus on the glaring OS issues. I guess from my perspective it's how we as consumers use this to help "construct" BB10 not "destruct" it. I think the platform is strong and extremely flexible to correct any of these issues. I notice that your original post has all to do with issues and many of them.. but there are positives about the device .. are they not?
    It would be great if someone perhaps from Crackberry or from Blackberry (heck, BB should put a paid member on this site to collect all this valuable feedback to make their OS the best of the best) that can summarize these issues and take a poll for each of them - majority rules; note that... what may be an issue for you, may not be an issue for others.. and visa versa.
    This brand has a lot of potential and I personally believe more than the other brands in the market. All the issues you noted is fixable in this new OS .. it just needs to get properly funneled back to BB.

PS: I don't think the OP is a troll, he (as we all do) want the best product we can get our hands on. A phone is an expensive committment for most of us...
    02-03-13 12:26 PM
    I like your approach, calm measured reasoning !

To the OP, I get there is issues with a new platform and sure BB has taken a few steps back in certain respects and sure they need to be corrected. But this is the released version and the real issue here is what BB does with the feedback esp. before the US launch. Your approach here is to "through the baby out with the bath water" if you get my saying.. I think all is fixable by software and certainly do-able in an upcoming release. If things are broken, I'm confident that BB will fix them. This phone launch is way more important to the company than the playbook and BB needs to focus on the glaring OS issues. I guess from my perspective it's how we as consumers use this to help "construct" BB10 not "destruct" it. I think the platform is strong and extremely flexible to correct any of these issues. I notice that your original post has all to do with issues and many of them.. but there are positives about the device .. are they not?
    It would be great if someone perhaps from Crackberry or from Blackberry (heck, BB should put a paid member on this site to collect all this valuable feedback to make their OS the best of the best) that can summarize these issues and take a poll for each of them - majority rules; note that... what may be an issue for you, may not be an issue for others.. and visa versa.
    This brand has a lot of potential and I personally believe more than the other brands in the market. All the issues you noted is fixable in this new OS .. it just needs to get properly funneled back to BB.
    lynxs_claw and cman5 like this.
    02-03-13 12:30 PM
    Maybe that is the reason why BBRY did not release in the US as they want to polish everything up before it hits the streets. Anything that is redesigned will have bugs like going from Win 3.1 to Win95 or OS 9 to OS X. Big changes = problems but they should get addressed. Look at how many iOS releases there are and Apple still cannot get autocorrect to work properly let alone true multitasking which I always enjoyed on my BB and even on my android tablet and my pb. Heck even webOS has better multitasking that iPad.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    02-03-13 12:34 PM
    It should have launched with these features from day one. Do we forget this is BlackBerry's last chance?

I'm out.
    Their last chance isn't one day long. They have less room for error but their last chance is the software. Starting again would cost too much and take too long. They can still work on what was released.

James
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    That is what I mean, instead of getting notified by ringtones, we can peek what kind of notifications that came in, personal or work. Maybe that is why they took away the customized ringtones for you to utilize the peek and flow I guess. troublesome much? maybe because we are not use to it yet? just saying...

The whole point of customized ringtones is so you don't have to go to the phone every time it rings to "peek". You can just tell by the sound it makes.
    Admorris likes this.
    This brand has a lot of potential and I personally believe more than the other brands in the market. All the issues you noted is fixable in this new OS .. it just needs to get properly funneled back to BB. PS: I don't think the OP is a troll, he (as we all do) want the best product we can get our hands on. A phone is an expensive committment for most of us...
    I get what you are saying, but we waited a decade to be able to edit forwarded emails, for example (because most BB fan boys defended the madness with claims that FORWARD meant CARBON COPY CANNOT BE EDITED even though in the real world this isn't how people tend to use forward). I am not prepared to wait longer than a quarter for Notifications to come back. I hope this thread/blog/site get to someone at RIM who cares enough to understand why it's such a big mistake.

The whole point of customized ringtones is so you don't have to go to the phone every time it rings to "peek". You can just tell by the sound it makes.
    Exactly. EXACTLY. It's probably one of the single most productive things about having a Blackberry. You "know" about a message, without having to do anything but listen/look for the LED!
    02-03-13 12:41 PM
    So... Is that a yes?
    02-03-13 12:41 PM
    Absolutely, if the ringtone is 'Ride of the Valkyries' I know it is my mother calling....
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 02-03-13 at 12:49 PM. Reason: edit
    02-03-13 12:49 PM

PS: I don't think the OP is a troll, he (as we all do) want the best product we can get our hands on. A phone is an expensive committment for most of us...
    Well said. I can understand the OP's frustration simply because a lot of the issues that people are complaining about are the very things that have kept users on the BB platform. So to not have them available at launch would be frustrating. However, I think a lot of these features aren't necessary for the general public or users who may be jumping back from another platform, simply because they probably didn't use them/need them to begin with. In this aspect, not having these features won't necessarily hurt RIM BB with the new users, but it could potentially hurt them with existing customers. Either way, as Lynxs-claw puts it, all these issues should be easily fixable with updates, hopefully sooner than later. When being an "early adopter" so to speak, one must realize that there will be some growing pains along with it.
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    02-03-13 12:57 PM
    So... Is that a yes?
    international laws forbid it (maybe)

but seriously, I can get a new 9900 from the carrier and they usually compensate too e.g. a �5 ($7) monthly adjustment, to make up for it
    02-03-13 12:58 PM
    Absolutely, if the ringtone is 'Ride of the Valkyries' I know it is my mother calling....
    yep, and not just ringtones. On the 9780 I used various combinations of:

Volume
    Ringtone
    Number of buzzes
    Length of each buzz
    LED colours via BeBuzz

It was superb!
    punkd_mom and elGuapoTorres like this.
    02-03-13 01:00 PM
    the only change I've made with my ringtones was adding LED for bbm/sms in phone calls only.
    02-03-13 01:04 PM
    text message. Scenario - you are out of cell coverage. When you coverage again, text messages arrive on the device. On non-BB phones, you can see when the message was actually originally sent (it's part of the SMS protocol). On BB, you can't. It get's time-stamped with the time that you received the message, when you got coverage back.
    It's the same on all BB's. When I have my phone in bedside mode, when I turn everything back on and I received text or voice mail notification, it shows the time as when I turned it on.
    02-03-13 01:15 PM
    Thank you OP for a very productive post. Reality is that BB10 needs to be a nuisance free as possible when it hits the U.S. market if it is to be a commercial and critical success. It's enough of a leap of faith that people have to learn a completely new way of interacting with a phone through gestures - having to find little work arounds for everything from multiple email selection to gmail active sync to text editing/paragraph selection is just too much to ask of the market at large.

I'm sure the people at BlackBerry are still busting their humps, working overtime, processing feedback and putting together a comprehensive first patch before Z10 officially hits the States.
    mithrazor and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    02-03-13 01:15 PM
470 ... 1011121314 ...