^^I fell this is completely different than the PB. I expect "monthly" updates.

On a side note, I just found several capabilities on my 9810 that I was unaware of prior to this thread.
    Haha that's awesome. I love when that happens.
    02-03-13 10:05 AM
    Oh it will be better. A lot of people don't realize that yes BlackBerry has been around, but this is a totally brand new operating system. It brand new. Stage 1. They are comparing it to BB OS7... *7* Of course BB OS7 is more mature. It's been around way longer! The majority of the things we love about the legacy BB OS were not available in version 1. They came along gradually in many updates. Imagine BB10 in it's seventh iteration. Yes, there are bugs right now. Yes, there are shortcomings. Which first generation OS didn't have those? The first iphone couldn't even send picture messages when my tiny flip phone could do that for years before! I have full faith this OS will mature quite nicely over the years.
    I couldn't agree more. OS7 was the result of years & years of "tweaks". 10 is, in effect, starting over for BlackBerry (formerly RIM).
    I wouldn't think it would be "all things" to all users.....YET. It is a bit of a drag that BlackBerry is basically starting over in 2013, but that is a fact.
    The time it'll take to get "on par" with Android and iOS will be minimal.
    02-03-13 10:06 AM
    Well i sure hope BB gets an update to the z10 bb10 OS before end of February if not many ppl may not get this phone and lose more faith in BB.
    02-03-13 10:10 AM
    ""you can now only have ONE volume and ONE sound for ALL email boxes""

oh not to good
    02-03-13 10:17 AM
    OK - this isn't a complaint, issue or problem. It is pretty funny.
    Got a Z10 at the launch. Beautiful box, sliding plastic case over it - an "elite" package.
    Finally took out the Polishing Cloth (that's what the bag says). It is huge and reads "BlackBerry PlayBook" on it. Guess they had a lot of extras laying around.
    mikeo007, JeepBB, swishhh and 1 others like this.
    02-03-13 10:25 AM
    Never mind the 5 gens that apple took and it still can use somethings.
    Who cares how long it took apple? We are talking about bbos moving from one generation to another.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-03-13 10:29 AM
    Oh it will be better. A lot of people don't realize that yes BlackBerry has been around, but this is a totally brand new operating system. It brand new. Stage 1. They are comparing it to BB OS7... *7* Of course BB OS7 is more mature. It's been around way longer! The majority of the things we love about the legacy BB OS were not available in version 1. They came along gradually in many updates. Imagine BB10 in it's seventh iteration. Yes, there are bugs right now. Yes, there are shortcomings. Which first generation OS didn't have those? The first iphone couldn't even send picture messages when my tiny flip phone could do that for years before! I have full faith this OS will mature quite nicely over the years.
    Pretty sure BB didn't envision the above statement as what they wanted to see with the release of BB10. The fact that Z10 is now being compared to the 9900 and the first iPhone is not a good sign. If this site wants to truly help BB, they would stop apologizing for clearly left out features, and stop lowering expectations to the point that it's almost embarrassing. A lot of you are enabling BB to continue on their path of creating mediocre phones with mediocre features. They will never build a competitive, top tier phone if they keep hearing how awesome their great new phones are when they aren't really that great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    PJD642, h20work, JeepBB and 3 others like this.
    02-03-13 10:29 AM
    Now, I'm not so unhappy that I have to wait 'til March to get my white Z10 from Verizon. I understand this is a new OS, but for Pete's sake...using that as an excuse for removing functions the older OS had? My 9930 has options for delete on phone or delete on phone & mailbox, I can control the LED, set separate ringer volumes for different email accounts & contacts, and create custom profiles just to name a few things. That's like buying a new Caprice and Chevy not including air conditioning as an option for 2014 since they redid the body mouldings. I expected BB to maintain the usability of the phone, and improve upon it while maintaining all the little things that make me love my BB.

I'll still purchase one, of course, but now I might wait for an OS update to be released (or apps like BeBuzz, etc.) that fix these "minor" oversights.
    Last edited by PJD642; 02-03-13 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling fail
    02-03-13 10:46 AM
    Somewhat confused as to what the OP expects from a 1.0 version OS..... Every first gen OS is riddled with omittions and bugs.... If you expect performance of a v 1.2 or higher simply wait six months to a year for the upgrades..... The arguments everyone keeps making about bugs is astounding to me... They should have tried the first gen Iphone like I did.... Talk about bugs and omittions... still waiting for cut and paste.... If you want to be on the bleeding edge then be prepared to bleed a little...
    kpbutton and ShaneN. like this.
    02-03-13 10:51 AM
    there's a neat workaround via the hub for Landscape BBM, but not Calendar as far as I can tell on mine
    Really poor UX design.
    02-03-13 10:53 AM
    Somewhat confused as to what the OP expects from a 1.0 version OS..... Every first gen OS is riddled with omittions and bugs.... If you expect performance of a v 1.2 or higher simply wait six months to a year for the upgrades..... The arguments everyone keeps making about bugs is astounding to me... They should have tride the first gen Iphone like I did.... Talk about bugs and omittions... still waiting for cut and paste.... If you want to be on the bleeding edge then be prepared to bleed a little...
    I think the difference this time is BlackBerry has one shot left to get back into the game, or else be stuck at #3 or more likely #4. The average consumer who does not hang out here doesn't care that it is a new OS. It is 2 years late and buggy. They will notice it. And if there is bleeding, then it will be BlackBerry blood, unfortunately.
    02-03-13 10:57 AM
    Somewhat confused as to what the OP expects from a 1.0 version OS..... Every first gen OS is riddled with omittions and bugs.... If you expect performance of a v 1.2 or higher simply wait six months to a year for the upgrades..... The arguments everyone keeps making about bugs is astounding to me... They should have tried the first gen Iphone like I did.... Talk about bugs and omittions... still waiting for cut and paste.... If you want to be on the bleeding edge then be prepared to bleed a little...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    h20work and FantomLightning like this.
    02-03-13 10:58 AM
    Waiting a year is probably sensible for a potential customer but if everyone does it, BB 10 is doomed.
    JeepBB and FantomLightning like this.
    02-03-13 11:01 AM
    Well. Lots of folks on here claim this from time to time. They say its blackberry 10 because you had blackberry 7. Then the playbook had 1.0 and 2.0. So 7 + 2 and now bb10.

If you ascribe to that logic blackberry 10 is technically a quasi third gen OS.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    h20work and FantomLightning like this.
    02-03-13 11:03 AM
    Okay, so I have to change this setting every single time I want view/un-view my work account. When I leave the office at night, or for the weekend, or want quite time from work I want to be able to separate personal from work - on my 9900 that's achieved by having everything in my main messages list (Facebook, Twitter, GMail, etc) and my work email is in its own icon. It's easy to ignore that icon while at home, but if I want to view the work account, I simply click on it - not go into a menu and re-enable it's hub visibility preference.

Guess I don't have that any more.
    What about the whole separate work/personal profiles?
    02-03-13 11:04 AM
    Nah not me. I'll admit to wanting a lot of these things addressed. But if Verizon had it, I'd be at the store right now getting one. Lol.
    Well.....*if* it were here I could suffer through it.....
    02-03-13 11:11 AM
    Hi OP. I don't have time right now to read all the responses to your original post. I will have to come back later as it seems a lot of good information is coming out.

I don't have a problem with you voicing your opinions at all. However I do take issue with the ones where you say 'you will want...'. Please don't presume to know what I like to have on my phone. For example - I couldn't care less if bbm opens in landscape. I much prefer to type in portrait. Some of your other issues are similar - they are issues for some people and not for others. Some of them are design choices and you will find these with any OS.

Out of your list there were 3 points that I personally would like to see addressed by BlackBerry. And I have confidence that they will be. Only you can decide what are 'dealbreakers' for you, but it does sound like, with so many things bothering you about the Z10, you would be better off to send it back and go with a phone that more meets your needs.
    02-03-13 11:11 AM
    Hi OP. I don't have time right now to read all the responses to your original post. I will have to come back later as it seems a lot of good information is coming out.

I don't have a problem with you voicing your opinions at all. However I do take issue with the ones where you say 'you will want...'. Please don't presume to know what I like to have on my phone. For example - I couldn't care less if bbm opens in landscape. I much prefer to type in portrait. Some of your other issues are similar - they are issues for some people and not for others. Some of them are design choices and you will find these with any OS.

Out of your list there were 3 points that I personally would like to see addressed by BlackBerry. And I have confidence that they will be. Only you can decide what are 'dealbreakers' for you, but it does sound like, with so many things bothering you about the Z10, you would be better off to send it back and go with a phone that more meets your needs.
    That phrase "you will want" is a regional UK mannerism that I have found at times when I've traveled there.
    02-03-13 11:17 AM
    Maybe wrong cause don't have a z10 yet. But thought bb balance took care of the e-mail and message separation when not wanting notifications from work on weekends or evenings.
    02-03-13 11:24 AM
    Pretty sure BB didn't envision the above statement as what they wanted to see with the release of BB10. The fact that Z10 is now being compared to the 9900 and the first iPhone is not a good sign. If this site wants to truly help BB, they would stop apologizing for clearly left out features, and stop lowering expectations to the point that it's almost embarrassing. A lot of you are enabling BB to continue on their path of creating mediocre phones with mediocre features. They will never build a competitive, top tier phone if they keep hearing how awesome their great new phones are when they aren't really that great.
    Here is just a small list of things the first iPhone didn't have that BB10 does so I don't know how your saying it's being compared to the first iPhone.

Apps
    Voice Control
    Copy/Paste
    ActiveSync

All people are saying is that BB10 will keep getting improved which you're just reading way to much into. There are no huge features missing like every other platform had at launch and the little things will be improved. And of course they are listening as Kevin already said and will be making improvements. Your jabs are getting tiring and I don't see how a gesture based OS is mediocre. It blows my iPhone and Android touchpad out of the water and I for one can't wait for the Z10. Here are some of the touches I'm sure you won't mention.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...blackberry-10/
    02-03-13 11:26 AM
    RE: BB Balance.

There's a different thread about this, but the gist is that BB balance is all about profiles not message separation.

If I've understood correctly, if you get a work email when the personal profile is selected, you'll still get the notification. Unfortunately, because it won't flash or beep any differently, you'll have to look to see. (which is OP's point 1 I believe.)
    02-03-13 11:29 AM
    Maybe wrong cause don't have a z10 yet. But thought bb balance took care of the e-mail and message separation when not wanting notifications from work on weekends or evenings.
    Balance only works if you are on BES
    02-03-13 11:32 AM
    All these complaints are ridiculous. Send me a Z10.
    02-03-13 11:33 AM
    RE: BB Balance.

There's a different thread about this, but the gist is that BB balance is all about profiles not message separation.

If I've understood correctly, if you get a work email when the personal profile is selected, you'll still get the notification. Unfortunately, because it won't flash or beep any differently, you'll have to look to see. (which is OP's point 1 I believe.)
    I see. Thanks.
    02-03-13 11:36 AM
    Balance only works if you are on BES
    Ok. Thank you.
    02-03-13 11:39 AM
470 ... 910111213 ...