Is that not what Blackberry Balance is for? To keep work and personal separate? I don't have a Z10 but shouldn't you be able to set up with a work side and a personal side?
    My understanding (I think I read it here?) is that balance does not separate out emails and calendars.
    02-03-13 08:31 AM
    Not so.
    When developing a system you have user acceptance testing, where user requirements are tested against the system. That is, give a sandboxed instance of the system and let *users* give it a go. They test the system's real world functionalities, take comments, incorporate what is missing, fix what is wrong, return to user acceptance testing, and make sure that in fixing one thing you did not break another. These issues should have been found during user acceptance testing. Dev units..
    But youre judgement of whats 'missing' is based on the assumption the system has an existing set of features. BB10 doesn't its NEW.....its features are tested against what its DESIGN says it should do. NOT what a bunch of users *think* it should do in their preference.... now in 12 months if a feature is added and layered on top of BB10 then doesnt work as it should UAT would pick that up.

BB10 is new, its isnt BB7, its doesnt have to have every feature of BB7....get over it or go get another device, we all have that choice.
    02-03-13 08:32 AM
    One thing I like about reading the list of problems, is trying to figure out what these problems imply.

If these are the biggest issues regarding the Z10, then I think that I am *more* likely to buy one.

On the other had, if the phone simply didn't work when you held it to your ear.... well that would be different.
    I'm not a glass half-full person!

I read the list of problems, just as you did, and came to the opposite conclusion. I'd think... "hmm... some of these issues are pretty fundamental and were spotted after only a couple of days casual use of the phone... I wonder what other issues are lurking and will only reveal themselves after more time with the phone".

I was never going to be an early adopter of BB10 anyway... the PB taught me that lesson!, but I would be less likely to buy a Z10 after reading OP's list.

And... on your closing sentence... I've read a number of reviews commenting on the voice quality of phone calls made on the Z10... they don't heap praise on it.
    wxmancanada likes this.
    02-03-13 08:37 AM
    Plus remember the whole app developer thingy. Maybe there will be apps, or there are already apps, in BBworld that will satisfy some of your concerns. After all we were kind of screaming for an iphone equivalent, and the current paradigm is "there's an app for that".
    02-03-13 08:38 AM
    Not so.
    When developing a system you have user acceptance testing, where user requirements are tested against the system. That is, give a sandboxed instance of the system and let *users* give it a go. They test the system's real world functionalities, take comments, incorporate what is missing, fix what is wrong, return to user acceptance testing, and make sure that in fixing one thing you did not break another. These issues should have been found during user acceptance testing. Dev units.
    I think you are overestimating the amount of functionality changes that would occur based on a beta test because the reality is that you will have a wide variety of responses to anything that isn't directly a bug and as such they will not change a feature to make a few people happy if it would in turn make another few annoyed by the change and would tend to focus on ensuring the original feature worked.
    02-03-13 08:39 AM
    But youre judgement of whats 'missing' is based on the assumption the system has an existing set of features. BB10 doesn't its NEW.....its features are tested against what its DESIGN says it should do. NOT what a bunch of users *think* it should do in their preference.... now in 12 months if a feature is added and layered on top of BB10 then doesnt work as it should UAT would pick that up.

BB10 is new, its isnt BB7, its doesnt have to have every feature of BB7....get over it or go get another device, we all have that choice.
    When the system is turned over to functional quality testing you have a set of scenarios and expected results. Those are from the finished OS and there are empirical methodologies for recorded and catalogued findings.

The initial set if requirements (I want it to do this based on what I need it to do) is handles through a design team and subject matter experts BEFORE having the set design tested.

Tha initial gathering of testing of the initial builds against users BEFOTE turning it to FQT is what I'm questioning.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    just wondering, why do we need to differentiate the ringtones between email, bbm etc.? when we are able to peek it and choose to entertain it on the spot or do it later. Am i missing something here?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    The hub, as cool as it is -- is not a replacement for the efficiency of the custom notifications on traditional BlackBerrys.
    I think you are overestimating the amount of functionality changes that would occur based on a beta test because the reality is that you will have a wide variety of responses to anything that isn't directly a bug and as such they will not change a feature to make a few people happy if it would in turn make another few annoyed by the change and would tend to focus on ensuring the original feature worked.
    And that is why you have subsequent builds that are again tested to initial requirements mapping.

02-03-13 08:40 AM
    Thanks to the OP for posting this, we need some objectivity on this forum.

I personally feel that RIM wasted their time with the months of beta testing. Once they got the major issues out of the way they should have released the phone to REAL users so every little problem would have been uncovered in a matter of days. Beta testers are just going to play with the phone and tell everyone how awesome it is.
    This is so true.

Thank you OP for posting this. This is the kind of post that will help BlackBerry fix the problems and make their new OS that much more desirable.

All of the apologists do absolutely nothing for BlackBerry, it's posts like this that actually influence change. Keep up the good work, ignore the trolls.
    JeepBB and h20work like this.
    02-03-13 08:43 AM
    Wow...really hoping these get resolved before it coming here.
    Not so upset about the March release anymore.
    Wow....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nah not me. I'll admit to wanting a lot of these things addressed. But if Verizon had it, I'd be at the store right now getting one. Lol.
    02-03-13 08:48 AM
    Can you change ringtone based on contact?

I saw it hinted at, but never any confirmation?
    02-03-13 08:48 AM
    Tha initial gathering of testing of the initial builds against users BEFOTE turning it to FQT is what I'm questioning.

why? we dont know what another release is planned to build. all systems develop functionality in waves, core first and so on. what's going to be in the next release????

who is to say what is working now is wrong? for me it isn't wrong. It meets all my use cases except for bridge (which we may see updates for yet who knows). If I want to bother picking over the feature list of BB7 and everything I have used at one point or another I will find things I cant do, however thats just plain dumb. Its like having a windows pc, then going out and buying a mac and then ******** it cant do x. its a new system.
    02-03-13 08:50 AM
    ....and this folks, is the reason why the USA launch is in March.
    JeepBB and redantz like this.
    02-03-13 08:50 AM
    why? we dont know what another release is planned to build. all systems develop functionality in waves, core first and so on. what's going to be in the next release????

who is to say what is working now is wrong? for me it isn't wrong. It meets all my use cases except for bridge (which we may see updates for yet who knows). If I want to bother picking over the feature list of BB7 and everything I have used at one point or another I will find things I cant do, however thats just plain dumb. Its like having a windows pc, then going out and buying a mac and then ******** it cant do x. its a new system.
    Every release is a subsequent build.

And by the way, not everyone has got a PB nor wishes for one.

Guaranteed there will be subsequent builds to add functionalities that are catalogued. To your analogy, I've already got an iPhone and an Android. I want my BB to be a BB and to give me those functionalities that I want in a BB.....in particular, the full set of profiles and notifications features I have come to expect out of BB. Advanced and enhanced, not diminished nor removed.

Question is when those new releases will come.

Last edited by qbnkelt; 02-03-13 at 09:10 AM.
    Blacklatino and h20work like this.
    02-03-13 08:54 AM
    Can you change ringtone based on contact?

I saw it hinted at, but never any confirmation?
    Yes - absolutely. You have to work at getting your personal ringtones over there (BlackBerry Link is new and very Zune-like).
    momofteme likes this.
    02-03-13 09:04 AM
    I haven't read every post but I was expecting the first iteration of BB10 and the Z10 to be full of annoyances and bugs. I had a Storm 1, so I have no illusions about a brand new operating system being perfect from the word go. However I am trusting that BlackBerry listen to user feedback and act upon it IMMEDIATELY.

If BB have any sense at all, and knowing how important BB10 is to their future, they will be reading these forums like hawks and feeding back all user observations to a central clearing house for improving BlackBerry Ten and the new phones.

I receive my Z10 tomorrow and I must admit that I am nervous about keeping my work communications going seamlessly, but I am resigned to the learning curve, hiccups and workarounds on the assumption that in the end it will all come good. But it had better be sooner rather than later. If I have to wait months for obvious bugs to be fixed, like I did with the Storm, the Z10 will be my last BlackBerry. And that will be sad.
    02-03-13 09:12 AM
    Why would anyone expect a newly born OS to be bug free or perfect? If it's not hardware related issues, then a patch will fix it. I have lost counts on how many patches i loaded to my 9900 and honestly it is getting better and better. I am sure the new BB10 will be just as good as BB7, if not better.
    02-03-13 09:40 AM
    I assume drag and drop is still a viable option?

I am not a big media consumer, but I have never used the media sync function anyway.
    02-03-13 09:46 AM
    Some of these issues are rather disturbing (for lack of another word). I was (am) a die hard BB user until Aug. 2012. I got a GS3 and really love it.....except for the gmail app. I had to get used to the way it "did things" as I was so used to, and comfortable with my BB's.
    I won't address all the "things" I'd like to see in BB10, but I hope some of the BB specific IU returns.
    (mark txt/email as unread and accessible in 1 location, just to name one function)
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-03-13 09:47 AM
    Why would anyone expect a newly born OS to be bug free or perfect? If it's not hardware related issues, then a patch will fix it. I have lost counts on how many patches i loaded to my 9900 and honestly it is getting better and better. I am sure the new BB10 will be just as good as BB7, if not better.
    Oh it will be better. A lot of people don't realize that yes BlackBerry has been around, but this is a totally brand new operating system. It brand new. Stage 1. They are comparing it to BB OS7... *7* Of course BB OS7 is more mature. It's been around way longer! The majority of the things we love about the legacy BB OS were not available in version 1. They came along gradually in many updates. Imagine BB10 in it's seventh iteration. Yes, there are bugs right now. Yes, there are shortcomings. Which first generation OS didn't have those? The first iphone couldn't even send picture messages when my tiny flip phone could do that for years before! I have full faith this OS will mature quite nicely over the years.
    Drayk, Stocklone and web99 like this.
    02-03-13 09:48 AM
    It is a new OS, on new hardware, with new applications (and lest we forget) a new BES infrastructure.
    It may not have TIME to mature. BlackBerry bet the farm on this. They have to hit a home run now.
    mikeo007 and Drew808 like this.
    02-03-13 09:53 AM
    It is a new OS, on new hardware, with new applications (and lest we forget) a new BES infrastructure.
    It may not have TIME to mature. BlackBerry bet the farm on this. They have to hit a home run now.
    And THIS is why I'm terrified out of my mind.
    02-03-13 09:55 AM
    We can all agree that some bugs and annoyances could be expected at the release of a new OS. What can't happen is anything closely related to the Playbook launch. If they address these quickly, that's OK. If not, their goose is cooked.
    brianatbb likes this.
    02-03-13 09:56 AM
    It is certainly true BlackBerry definitely can't take the time they did with the legacy OS. But I think if they can pop out regular and quick updates. They'll still have a chance. Only time will tell
    brianatbb likes this.
    02-03-13 09:57 AM
    ^^I fell this is completely different than the PB. I expect "monthly" updates.

On a side note, I just found several capabilities on my 9810 that I was unaware of prior to this thread.
    Stocklone, h20work and howarmat like this.
    02-03-13 10:01 AM
470 ... 89101112 ...