Hey guys, I've given two PPT presentation on my BlackBerry Passport in the past week and in both cases half way through the 60+ slides the TV screen has turned off saying it couldn't find the HDMI source. I'm using the BlackBerry Passport HDMI connector. I'm in presentation mode on Docs PPT and I've connected an external battery to the HDMI connector to ensure there is no power loss. The only correction I can find is to unplug the adapter and reset the presentation and make sure it is seeing the HDMI but it still gives out after 15 minutes. Thoughts???

Brought to you by my Awesome BlackBerry Passport.
    02-04-15 02:26 PM
    Speak faster?

Sorry, couldn't help it. I guess this is a PassPort issue, maybe look into display settings or advances interactions.

Cannot choose between glas or plastic keyboard
    tg1 likes this.
    02-04-15 03:47 PM
    Did you use an adapter for the HDMI cable ?
    - Solution : Don't use an adapter (and take an HDMI cable with golden connectors )

Did your phone become really hot ?
    - Solution : No casing, use the phone naked. Even better, put a pen under it, so it's not flat on the table.

Did you run your presentation while on battery ?
    - Solution : Connect your phone to the wall charger if you can.

I assume a PowerPoint file is mandatory. If not, try BlackBerry Express, simple but very effective
    tg1 likes this.
    02-04-15 03:55 PM
    Did you use an adapter for the HDMI cable ?
    - Solution : Don't use an adapter (and take an HDMI cable with golden connectors )

Did your phone become really hot ?
    - Solution : No casing, use the phone naked. Even better, put a pen under it, so it's not flat on the table.

Did you run your presentation while on battery ?
    - Solution : Connect your phone to the wall charger if you can.

I assume a PowerPoint file is mandatory. If not, try BlackBerry Express, simple but very effective
    Thanks Joshua - good comments. I was using the clients setup/TV so I couldn't switch out the HDMI cable. But points 2&3 are worth looking at in the near future. No case but the pen idea to help keep the phone cool is a good idea. Much appreciated!

02-04-15 05:57 PM
    Speak faster?

Sorry, couldn't help it. I guess this is a PassPort issue, maybe look into display settings or advances interactions.

Cannot choose between glas or plastic keyboard
    If it wasn't for those pesky paying clients asking so many questions, I would have been done in no time! :-)

02-04-15 05:59 PM
    You could try using Miracast instead of the Slimport adapter.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    tg1 and DocDRM like this.
    02-05-15 06:18 AM
    You could try using Miracast instead of the Slimport adapter.

This is something that I need to understand better. If I'm visiting a clients office and they have a big screen TV that I can connect to, is there a way to identify quickly if it supports Miracast? Thanks!

02-05-15 09:01 AM
    This is something that I need to understand better. If I'm visiting a clients office and they have a big screen TV that I can connect to, is there a way to identify quickly if it supports Miracast? Thanks!

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to quickly tell if the TV supports it aside from asking. If not, you can connect a Miracast adapter such as the ASUS Miracast Dongle, Microsoft Miracast Dongle, or Netgear PTV3000 to the TV along with power, and use it. Please note that the latter of the three requires an extra HDMI cable (not included).

After that you will just need to go into Settings -> Display -> Share Screen (located at bottom of Display menu), and tap on the name of the Miracast device you wish to connect to.
    tg1 likes this.
    02-05-15 09:17 AM

Unfortunately there would not be any way to tell just from the front of the display. Most flat panels that I know of don't have any logos on the front bezel to indicate what features it has built-in, unlike a lot of older TV technologies (ex. CRTs, projection). Unless you know a lot about specific TV models and their features, you would have to check either the TV's manual or its menu which is probably not that practical if the set is the client's. Even then, not all manufacturers label it as Miracast. The app on my Panasonic plasma is labeled 'Mirroring' and took me a while to find initially since I was looking for Miracast.

Even though wireless mirroring can be handier since there are no cables, keep in mind that you may have to deal with performance issues like latency and stuttering due to the client's work environment. Therefore, even if you prefer using Miracast, I would still suggest you get your cable connection issue figured out since this is normally the more reliable option.

Posted via CB10
    Soul_Est and tg1 like this.
    02-05-15 09:36 AM
    Unfortunately, there isn't a way to quickly tell if the TV supports it aside from asking. If not, you can connect a Miracast adapter such as the ASUS Miracast Dongle, Microsoft Miracast Dongle, or Netgear PTV3000 to the TV along with power, and use it. Please note that the latter of the three requires an extra HDMI cable (not included).

After that you will just need to go into Settings -> Display -> Share Screen (located at bottom of Display menu), and tap on the name of the Miracast device you wish to connect to.
    I think this is a solid solution for you OP. I'm not sure what the problem is with the slimport HDMI that you're experiencing but a Miracast dongle would be a worthy addition if ppt presentations are your thing. I've used my passport flawlessly with miracast on my tv whereas I too have had problems with the slimport to hdmi cable. The other bonus of course is that miracast gives you mobility.

Soul_Est likes this.
    02-05-15 01:29 PM
    Thanks guys. Great suggestions all around. I'm going to try the Miracast dongle at some point soon. What I did learn was the plugged in power seems to be a positive on the Slimport. Secondly not just in present mode for HDMI but to ensure you click on the right - what is that options button called? But to present on HDMI is a must. Also to quiet all notifications to the point of putting it into FLY mode and that seems to work. 1 hour presentation flawless. Your help as usual is awesomely appreciated!

02-05-15 08:22 PM
    Bookmarked.

Posted via CB10, Mostly from my Passport, occasionally my Z30
    02-05-15 10:07 PM