It all depends on how you work, I guess. I do not sit around after a football game playing file transfer with the other parents or coaches. Why would I want all their raw footage and unedited pics anyway?! That's a lot of wasted time/space.

Instead, we play/watch the game and then some time later I upload my highlights to teamsnap and I see what the other moms and dads have done. The coaching staff also upload aerial all-22 highlights there as they review the game.

That works perfectly fine on any device on my own schedule and seems a lot better than walking around the stadium playing sneakernet in 2017, doesn't it? Teamsnap (which is what we use around here) keeps everything organized, keeps me from having to wade through a lot of garbage, and allows me to upload good edited content so other people aren't wading through tons of my own raw footage.

Think about the objective: the objective is not to share files. The real objective is for me to collect good pictures and video from my children's sports for our memories and for us to share with others.
    Or you just let everything go to iCloud or Onedrive in a shared folder and parents and coaches can pick it up there.
    09-21-17 10:05 PM
    Or you just let everything go to iCloud or Onedrive in a shared folder and parents and coaches can pick it up there.
    That method works on iPhone, so that means it's bad, right?
    09-21-17 10:07 PM
    I think it's a bit hard to argue LCD when they have the most powerful SoC's in the market, really great software, beautiful warm screens, all the best apps, high quality integrations, great support, etc.

I think they make high quality, expensive products best suited for people who aren't really tinkerers. Or don't want to tinker on their phones.

I'm a tinkerer, but I prefer to tinker on my business or my cars or other things. I just want my phone to work brilliantly with no fuss with all the services/apps I feel like using. I'll pay a couple hundred extra for that. That's their market.
    I know dozens of very intelligent professionals who love their iPhones, for a variety of reasons, but mostly, as you say, because their perception is that it "just works" for them. I agree completely with your assessment that Apple fans aren't generally tinkerers.

I also hate tinkering with my phone, which is why I've resisted Android for so long. For the past five years I've run BB10 with almost no 3rd party apps. If iOS worked as well for me as it does for my friends, that would be awesome, because I could avoid Android altogether.

Unfortunately, Apple's closed OS and it's reliance on Apple's services and apps for almost every task, combined with its lack of expandable local storage and file management functions makes it pretty much unusable for me.

And when I watch how my iPhone-carrying friends use their phones, it's nothing like what I do on mine. They use fewer accounts, fewer network resources, fewer remote files per day, far fewer emails (inbound and outbound), and far, far fewer emails attachments than I do.

What they seem to do most is short messaging, camera use, mobile payments, and apps, apps, apps.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-21-17 11:08 PM
    Functional Fixation – “ This is the way that I want it to work” rather than “This is what I want to do.” “ How can this work as a better carriage? If I use my whip it, it doesn’t go any faster! “

The difference between being locked in to a closed system and locked out is a matter of perspective. If the closed system is pretty much 100% guaranteed to do any mobile task then I’d rather be inside the closed ecosystem than outside constantly looking for something that is compatible with what I am using. iOS and Android are pretty much synonymous with mobile, now.

How much longer do you think we will be plugging SD and USB memory cards? Every other type of media storage has eventually gone away given enough time. My experiences that you eventually throw it all away and I started with cassette data tapes, 8inch floppies, 5in floppy’s, 3inch floppy’s, Zip drives, CD ROM, DVD ROM, tape drives, USB drives, Memory Sticks, SD whatever. I’m pretty sure they all end up in the trash but only after a little bit of a panic about the data that might be stranded on them.
    Last edited by early2bed; 09-21-17 at 11:43 PM.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    09-21-17 11:26 PM
    I didn’t realize BlackBerry invented swipe gestures. Please provide a link to the BlackBerry patent for them.
    The original origin of this thread is hilarious. The idea that BlackBerry invented swipe gestures on a smartphone is crazy. BlackBerry swiped the idea (bad pun intended).
    MikeX74 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    09-22-17 01:37 AM
    Who said they invented gestures? They had the swipe upp gestures and apple copied it.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-17 06:07 AM
    Who said they invented gestures? They had the swipe upp gestures and apple copied it.

Posted via CB10
    And bb copied it from webOS....again , what point are you trying to make. Id argue that Apple copied webOS and wouldnt credit BB at all since it works just like webOS.
    09-22-17 08:44 AM
    And bb copied it from webOS....again , what point are you trying to make. Id argue that Apple copied webOS and wouldnt credit BB at all since it works just like webOS.
    And many of the WebOS team were actually former Apple employees. It all goes around.

The up gesture was one of hundreds of features in BB10. And it's not even itself a feature on iPhone X. It's just a way to get the big edge to edge screen they wanted. The screen is the actual feature, not the gesture that makes it possible.
    09-22-17 09:00 AM
    Ever since webOS got started, some users have felt that the gesture-based UI was the most important thing about the OS. Some of them even switched to BlackBerry for the gestures. Unfortunately, there are a lot more things that make an OS viable. That’s what I mean by “functional fixation” - if gestures are the first thing you look for in a UI then you’ve limited yourself to basically one platform.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    09-22-17 10:35 AM
    Functional Fixation – “ This is the way that I want it to work” rather than “This is what I want to do.” “ How can this work as a better carriage? If I use my whip it, it doesn’t go any faster! “

The difference between being locked in to a closed system and locked out is a matter of perspective. If the closed system is pretty much 100% guaranteed to do any mobile task then I’d rather be inside the closed ecosystem than outside constantly looking for something that is compatible with what I am using. iOS and Android are pretty much synonymous with mobile, now.

How much longer do you think we will be plugging SD and USB memory cards? Every other type of media storage has eventually gone away given enough time. My experiences that you eventually throw it all away and I started with cassette data tapes, 8inch floppies, 5in floppy’s, 3inch floppy’s, Zip drives, CD ROM, DVD ROM, tape drives, USB drives, Memory Sticks, SD whatever. I’m pretty sure they all end up in the trash but only after a little bit of a panic about the data that might be stranded on them.
    Sure, media storage will continue to evolve. But that doesn't mean we'll stop using it altogether. Carriers start throttling data at around 20 GB /month for unlimited plans. I might transfer 20GB in client-related media files to my phone in a busy morning, and I often need more files at hand than will fit on any mobile phone.

Finally, I often review content on the subway, where I have no reliable radio reception.

When phones start shipping with 1TB onboard, and carriers provide unlimited data at multi-GB/second speeds, I'll happily give up my portable media.

09-22-17 11:38 AM
    Sure, media storage will continue to evolve. But that doesn't mean we'll stop using it altogether. Carriers start throttling data at around 20 GB /month for unlimited plans. I might transfer 20GB in client-related media files to my phone in a busy morning, and I often need more files at hand than will fit on any mobile phone.

Finally, I often review content on the subway, where I have no reliable radio reception.

When phones start shipping with 1TB onboard, and carriers provide unlimited data at multi-GB/second speeds, I'll happily give up my portable media.

20GB! Wow, that’s a lot of files to review in a subway!
    09-22-17 01:27 PM
    20GB! Wow, that’s a lot of files to review in a subway!
    LOL. I don't review them all. I usually only need one or two, but I can't know WHICH ones I'll need ahead of time.

09-22-17 01:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    As stated many times Apple could have copied from multiple sources same as BlackBerry copied from others.
    09-22-17 03:08 PM
    Did not know that you could swipe upp on webos to get to the open apps page/home page.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-17 03:44 PM
    Did not know that you could swipe upp on webos to get to the open apps page/home page.

Posted via CB10
    Me either.

 Passport SE  -Working wiDe!...
    09-23-17 01:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    LOL, do you think that anyone is going to purchase an iPhone X because it has a swipe to open feature? Its such a tiny feature and no one who is purchasing that phone is going to be saying "Wow, swipe to open, gotta have it." Even if Apple did copy it, do you really think they are "stealing" from BB10? Apple couldn't get the home button embedded under the screen like they wanted, and had to implement a new measure. They weren't looking at a dead OS and saying "Oh wow let's steal that feature, people will go nuts for it." They had to implement it because they wanted a bezel-less screen.

This entire thread is just BB fanboy lunacy in a desperate attempt to keep an OS relevant that was mercifully sent to the graveyard.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    09-24-17 08:58 AM
    This entire thread is just BB fanboy lunacy in a desperate attempt to keep an OS relevant that was mercifully sent to the graveyard.
    /thread
    09-24-17 09:06 AM
    /thread
    Actually, this thread is people expressing their opinion on why they like BlackBerry, Android and Apple and how the OS are becoming very similar.

In a short time from now, their will be no real difference between mobile OS functions and apps. The manufacturers have to sell brand not function, Apple has a great marketing division that has convinced many people (including many that read this thread) that Apple is easy to use and works the best.

That is personal choice actually, Apple doesn't work for me but may work for others. It's like saying everyone has to drive a 4x4 and if you drive a sports car your wrong. They both get you to the same destination but with a different ride...

People are just getting defensive on their OS of choice. I stated earlier on this post my expressing my dislike for Apple and people started with the pro apple talk. On a BlackBerry site everyone started how apple just works and is better. I found it funny that all I said was that I don't personally like any of their products, they don't work for me. I find them limiting.

People need to get into reality, we have choices, BlackBerry10 is going away but it still works well for many people. Very efficient to use. Apple works for others. (I can't use it. Just frustrating for me). Android, a bit of the wild west of apps with many similar functions as Apple. End result, you do the same functions and tasks..

Posted via CB10
    09-24-17 10:58 AM
    Yup apple has run out of ideas now steal from the berry sue them chen

Posted via CB10
    Parker_Lewis likes this.
    09-28-17 01:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sue them for what? A gesture? Ok. I’m pretty sure Apple would have a gesture of their own for BlackBerry.
    glwerry likes this.
    09-29-17 02:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you just because.. I also get your humor.

...Plus I like your name. My Philly name is Cappa.

 Passport SE  -Working wiDe in 2017+...
    09-29-17 03:02 PM
    There is something else that bothers me. Many of you will remember that BB10 was previously supposed to be BBX but then as I know BMW threatened to sue claiming only they have the right to use the letter X and BlackBerry retreated. How on earth did Apple get away with iPhone X. Where is BMW now with a lawsuit for the letter X rights? Or you don't want to mess with the giant?
    10-01-17 02:41 AM
    There is something else that bothers me. Many of you will remember that BB10 was previously supposed to be BBX but then as I know BMW threatened to sue claiming only they have the right to use the letter X and BlackBerry retreated. How on earth did Apple get away with iPhone X. Where is BMW now with a lawsuit for the letter X rights? Or you don't want to mess with the giant?
    it wasnt BMW for one thing. It was Basis Intl and they had an OS platform named BBx already

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-os-injunction

So that is why BMW doesnt have a lawsuit against Apple for a phone name.
    10-01-17 04:11 AM
    LOL, do you think that anyone is going to purchase an iPhone X because it has a swipe to open feature? Its such a tiny feature and no one who is purchasing that phone is going to be saying "Wow, swipe to open, gotta have it." Even if Apple did copy it, do you really think they are "stealing" from BB10? Apple couldn't get the home button embedded under the screen like they wanted, and had to implement a new measure. They weren't looking at a dead OS and saying "Oh wow let's steal that feature, people will go nuts for it." They had to implement it because they wanted a bezel-less screen.

Of course they were looking at the dead OS thinking this makes sense so let's not reinvent the wheel. Just like they were looking at it when they introduced cards like multitasking with swipe up to close the app.

Even Steve Jobs was "excited" over webOS by publicly praising it.

Oh you were talking about BB10. My bad.
    10-01-17 05:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    That was the original idea from the get go. You press home button to minimize the app or you swipe up from the app to open the app drawer. For some reason they changed that last minute and made swipe up/home button function redundant. But if you swipe up with both of your thumbs at the same time you get the app drawer, similar to BB10 double thumb swipe down from the top of the screen.

I guess people at webOS wanted to eliminate home button before they got bought by HP. Who knows. Apple jacked app switching from webOS as well with long swipes left or right at the bottom of the screen.

That's not to say webOS was without its flaws when it comes to gestures. Back gesture has always bothered me considering it whole interface had inverted scrolling. Going back by swiping right to left didn't make that much sense. BB10 back swipe right to left from edge of the screen makes hell more sense. And that's the only gesture Apple didn't incorporate for some reason. They make you swipe up, left, right from the edge of the bottom but when you want to go to previous screen you have to go all the way to the top of the screen and tap back button. That's half baked. Back gesture is the easiest gesture user can figure out themselves, everything else needs a tutorial.

Hands down the best gesture Maemo/BB10 have is swipe up to unlock without a need to press hardware key. So much more convenient than double tap on screen. Don't know the reason why Android can't implement swipe up to unlock.
    10-01-17 05:19 AM
330 ... 1011121314