iOS is boring as snot, there's pretrty much nothing at all you can do with the UI outside of stare at the same boring "grid of apps" UI, and the screen size remains the same miniscule 3.5.
    You're doing it wrong.

Power-user tip: If you touch one of those items in the boring grid, it opens up and lets you do stuff, like edit pictures, play games, etc.

Whatever might save RIM, it won't be some last-minute "innovation" in basic UI design to appease a notional group of consumers who are "bored" with a perfectly clear, familiar, and functional UI.

It won't be any one thing. There is no "game-changing OS", "game-changing UI", or "game-changing device". It will be a slow, methodical, incremental advance on all fronts: devices, forward-looking OS, ecosystem, retail experience, compelling advertising.

But RIM is stuck. Their current market is bifurcated... serious and busy business people doing real work, and teenagers who want to text each other cheaply and play games. I think they need to pick one and give up, for now, on the other. I'd pick the former, since they have more money.

"Back to basics" might hold more promise than "try to compete with Apple and Google on their own turf." I'd start by releasing one, and only one, BB10 phone. I'd call it "the Blackberry", and it would have a hardware keyboard, rock-solid build, and a mid- to high-end price. Throw in a really nice leather holster. Keep your loyal base happy, and build from there.
    Last edited by Eumaeus; 04-26-12 at 01:44 PM.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    04-26-12 01:02 PM
    Joe Public is tiring of Apple and its OS.
    Really? Why do people keep buying iOS devices and why do all the iPhones have higher satisfaction rating than every other device if they are so tired of the OS?

If they were tired of the OS, I think the sales numbers would be going down. Instead, sales are up from Q1 2011. Seems like they love it to me.
    Yaceka likes this.
    04-26-12 01:07 PM
    Really? Why do people keep buying iOS devices and why do all the iPhones have higher satisfaction rating than every other device if they are so tired of the OS?

If they were tired of the OS, I think the sales numbers would be going down. Instead, sales are up from Q1 2011. Seems like they love it to me.
    Apparently people respond to their tiring of these devices by rating them highly in surveys and then buying more of them. Or maybe the marketing is so good that even people who don't want the devices buy them anyway. Or maybe it's the bogeyman.
    avt123 and Yaceka like this.
    04-26-12 01:17 PM
    Apparently people respond to their tiring of these devices by rating them highly in surveys and then buying more of them. Or maybe the marketing is so good that even people who don't want the devices buy them anyway. Or maybe it's the bogeyman.
    Haha, yea I forgot about that. On this forum, it is a proven fact that marketing MAKES you buy things and not that it just HELPs make your decision toward a purchase.

It seems like these satisfaction surveys were made on Opposite Day.
    04-26-12 01:24 PM
    The reason why there is such a big hype about BB10 is because rim is heading down the ter and BB10 is the only thing that can bring the company back to life. If RIM was on par with android and iOS then the BB10 launch would be just another software overhaul e.g iOS 5

MORAL OF THE STORY; humans love the underdogs
    04-26-12 01:26 PM
    I don't see BB10 taking back most of the people that left for iOS. Customer satisfaction surveys show that people are very happy with them and will likely buy another, plus the longer they own one the further they get entrenched in the robust Apple ecosystem. I think they have a bigger chance of poaching Android users as those same surveys show that a larger number of those users are not as happy and willing to look elsewhere, and since a lot of Android users don't invest heavily in paid apps, they are not as entrenched in the much smaller than Apple's ecosystem. So the only thing they need to be worried about with the iPhone5 is an announcement about the same time from Apple sucking the wind out of their own.
    04-26-12 01:54 PM
    I saw today's poll question asking people if they'd be okay with a BlackBerry 10 smartphone that has a non-removable battery. It sickens me that anyone would want BlackBerry to become like icrap and that any other company (RIM) would even consider implementing such "features."
    04-26-12 02:02 PM
    The ecosystem Apple have created around all of their products is one of the strong reasons i think they still, and will continue to succeed. The iphone syncs perfectly with your ipad, imac and i(whatever), all your music, apps etc etc blend together and for joe public, thats what they want, simplicity. They just want it to work, and it does.

So the iphone 5 will ofcourse be a huge seller, its a no brainer...but if BB10 launches strongly, and those people who are due upgrades etc etc around the time who havent bought into the whole apple matrix are looking for something else, then you may see them jump onboard rather than going towards an android device or something similar. As someone earlier said, BB10 will be a slow burner, but after a successful launch, decent uptake, and most importantly, great customer response, the 2nd/3rd gen BB10-esq devices may just become the popular choice
    04-26-12 02:25 PM
    MORAL OF THE STORY; humans love the underdogs

They do, however I believe in order for BB10 to be a smashing success all sales of other devices will need to be put on hold. The iPhone currently enjoys the ability to sell itself to new users and there's a huge number already who aren't likely to deviate from buying the next generation, on or off contract. Android-powered devices are nearly as prolific with the number of models and various price offerings, and BOTH platforms have disheartened former BlackBerry users making up their bases that aren't likely to return. Plus, there's the current negativity from technology websites to drive home that choosing a BlackBerry would be "a bad idea".

There's of course going to be some users returning with BB10's advent, plus brand new users. I'm opining that it won't be enough to be considered a game-changer, whether people go for the underdog or not. Personally I'm looking forward to the new batch.
    04-26-12 02:35 PM
    The ecosystem Apple have created around all of their products is one of the strong reasons i think they still, and will continue to succeed. The iphone syncs perfectly with your ipad, imac and i(whatever), all your music, apps etc etc blend together and for joe public, thats what they want, simplicity. They just want it to work, and it does.

So the iphone 5 will ofcourse be a huge seller, its a no brainer...but if BB10 launches strongly, and those people who are due upgrades etc etc around the time who havent bought into the whole apple matrix are looking for something else, then you may see them jump onboard rather than going towards an android device or something similar. As someone earlier said, BB10 will be a slow burner, but after a successful launch, decent uptake, and most importantly, great customer response, the 2nd/3rd gen BB10-esq devices may just become the popular choice
    I think RIM needs some type of cloud service, especially now that iCloud, SkyDrive, and Google Drive are launching and improving.

Yes, DropBox is available, but it is drastically limited compared to iCloud, SkyDrive, and Google Drive. RIM needs its own cloud service.
    oz_insatiable likes this.
    04-26-12 02:41 PM
    I think RIM needs some type of cloud service, especially now that iCloud, SkyDrive, and Google Drive are launching and improving.

Yes, DropBox is available, but it is drastically limited compared to iCloud, SkyDrive, and Google Drive. RIM needs its own cloud service.
    i agree, something that ties your Blackberry, tablet (lets say Playbook) and home desktop pc/laptop all together so they function as 1 would definatly strengthen the whole BB experience and start creating an ecosystem that people would want to buy into
    04-26-12 03:24 PM
    I'm buying a pile of their stock for next week as this will be a no brainer.

Hardly what I would call a "no-brainer". RIM is on life support right now, and the future is bleak.

Many are tired of the Apple sham and are looking for something new.

Who are these "many"? Did they not just announce record earnings? Don't let your fanboyism get in the way of reality. (Btw, I don't own an Apple device)

RIM will have a phone that wins back customers and all will be good again. Right now they are 5 apps away from having the perfect product. Look how great the PB is now and it is 1 year old.

Yes, that great PlayBook that RIM couldn't give away outside of Canada. Perhaps RIM will win some customers back, but they won't win most back. And then they have this problem... when RIM was the smartphone market, the market was a fraction of what it is today. Most current smartphone owners have never had a BB. Most only know iPhones and and Androids.
    I understand that you like your BB, and that's fine. But, don't let your fanboyism cloud your judgement to the point that you are throwing money away on RIMM stock.
    Yaceka likes this.
    04-26-12 03:30 PM
    @ about 3 of you:

It hasn't escaped my notice that it's far easier to bash my post than to accept that you're one of the people described in it.

@marty: shhhh so do I!
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    04-26-12 04:53 PM
    well I had a motorolla phone in 1991. dont now. things change. BTW I was the one that bought the newton. (the first tab flop) but I loved it.

04-26-12 05:42 PM
    I think what blackberry needs to do is release their phone a couple months before christmas, take their time on the entire device (software,hardware, style) and work on marketing. I always loved the teaser trailers for an anticipated movie or videogame, (ex. Call of Duty, Batman, etc.) and get everyone pumped up for its release. Another marketing technique would be advertising its (hopefully) new and groundbreaking features, while subliminally pointing out the other flaws. (Ex. Apple commercials pinning PC vs MAC). That paired with good press that doesn't tear the company apart should win over a good chunk (not all) of the sector.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-26-12 06:21 PM
    Hardly what I would call a "no-brainer". RIM is on life support right now, and the future is bleak.

I understand that you like your BB, and that's fine. But, don't let your fanboyism cloud your judgement to the point that you are throwing money away on RIMM stock.
    Hey I agreed that morgaamplus8's opinion is extremely optimistic but you don't have to counter with an equally pessimistic point of view.

RIM is not dead.. or on life support .. they are debt free, 2.1B cash 77 million subscribers worldwide, PB sales are increasing, etc. Yes they are losing market share but they're working on some very clever products .. BB10 has a shot.

Yes, I agree that it won't be a game changer overnight, and the iphone 5 will once again do great in the market due to its loyal fan base.

But as long term bet, due to its upcoming new "refreshing" BB10's they can probably stop the bleeding and slowly turn things around.

If that happens, then like Apple, now would be the best time to invest in RIM. I know I'm going to cause it just might pay off.

Just like Apple.. I sure there were "optimist" in the 90's that believe Apple could turn it around when they were dying without competitive products, bought the shares at $4 and are laughing today.

So (like Apple) it ain't over til it's over so stop talking like it is!
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 04-26-12 at 06:29 PM.
    bigbmc26 and Mystic205 like this.
    04-26-12 06:22 PM
    I'm not tied to any one platform. Blackberry was my first "smartphone", but I have no emotional connection to it. If BB10 doesn't seem to be what I want in my next phone, then maybe I'll try an iPhone. But RIM reaaaally needs to step it up.

Sometimes I feel that I like my BB simply because I tend to visit Crackberry and get caught up in all the discussions, it's nice to feel part of a community. But if I wasn't part of this community, I'm not so sure I would have kept my 9800 as long as I have...it's really not that great of a phone.
    Premium1 and Yaceka like this.
    04-26-12 07:30 PM
    No worries, a new camera and faster processor on the itoy 5 (which is what they ALWAYS put out as a new phone) is not going to compete with BB10 which is a overhaul of the BB OS. Crapple has had the same OS out for ever now and there will be no way that will compete!

Think originality and not sheep status!!! Get a real phone in a blackberry!
    The thing is it doesn't really have to compete with bb10. The apple people who buy apple products aren't even going to give a look to bb, the ones bb needs to attract are those who are unsure of what they want or really have nothing vested in any one ecosystem. BB has to compete with the marketing apple does and word of mouth which isn't very good for bb.
    04-26-12 07:38 PM
    Basically, I like to keep it simply with my opinions. The iPhone is going to be a HUGE competitor to BB10. If they can beat it to market, they have a chance. If the iPhone launches before it, there will be so much hype and hysteria surrounding it that I don't think BB10 sells well.

*Important to note, I didn't say RIM is dead, or doesn't stand a chance. My opinion is my opinion only, and I think for it to have a shot, they need to release it before the iPhone. I shared the same opinion as the PlayBook launching AFTER the iPad 2. I think that was one of the biggest factors that served for a lackluster launch.
    It comes down to marketing, plain and simple. I still have not even seen a playbook commercial, except on youtube...
    04-26-12 10:43 PM
    It comes down to marketing, plain and simple. I still have not even seen a playbook commercial, except on youtube...
    RIMM won't market the pb because quite frankly they know that it's not a great product(not saying that it's a horrible device)...How would they market it? It's lacking business apps; so they can't market to fortune 500 companies...it's lacking all the big name consumer apps, which prevents them from marketing to everyday consumers...

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-27-12 12:02 AM
    RIMM won't market the pb because quite frankly they know that it's not a great product(not saying that it's a horrible device)...How would they market it? It's lacking business apps; so they can't market to fortune 500 companies...it's lacking all the big name consumer apps, which prevents them from marketing to everyday consumers...

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Big organisations that buy into the Blackberry platform have their own inhouse developer team building their own business apps you will not find in Appworld.

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/...the-blackberry
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 04-27-12 at 01:13 AM.
    04-27-12 01:10 AM
    The iPhone is going to be a HUGE competitor to BB10. If they can beat it to market, they have a chance. If the iPhone launches before it, there will be so much hype and hysteria surrounding it that I don't think BB10 sells well.

*Important to note, I didn't say RIM is dead, or doesn't stand a chance. My opinion is my opinion only, and I think for it to have a shot, they need to release it before the iPhone. I shared the same opinion as the PlayBook launching AFTER the iPad 2. I think that was one of the biggest factors that served for a lackluster launch.

I do agree that launching first could provide some benefit. However, if they launch after the Iphone, *and* if the Iphone is not revolutionary, then it may actually benefit BB10 phones.

The reason BB10 could benefit is because people (especially the bloggers) will recognize that BB10 is trully is a completely new phone and hence a revolutionary device. As opposed to the more regular upgrades that we have consistently seen from Apple (e.g. adding Siri, a Retina display).

A later launch will only serve to highlight BB10`s strengths.
    04-27-12 01:33 AM
    They do, however I believe in order for BB10 to be a smashing success all sales of other devices will need to be put on hold. The iPhone currently enjoys the ability to sell itself to new users and there's a huge number already who aren't likely to deviate from buying the next generation, on or off contract. Android-powered devices are nearly as prolific with the number of models and various price offerings, and BOTH platforms have disheartened former BlackBerry users making up their bases that aren't likely to return. Plus, there's the current negativity from technology websites to drive home that choosing a BlackBerry would be "a bad idea".

There's of course going to be some users returning with BB10's advent, plus brand new users. I'm opining that it won't be enough to be considered a game-changer, whether people go for the underdog or not. Personally I'm looking forward to the new batch.
    SPOT ON - most important and true words were yes BB10 will bring customers back on board and even new customers BUT BUT BUT it will NOT be enough to be a game changer - game changing Blackberry back into the market as a third ecosystem will takes years if not even happen at all. BB10 might just be enough to permanently keep them in the market but sure as no where near the leaders of android and iOS. i love BB, not hatin, just my OPINION

Edit: Blackberries are like ferraris and lamborghinis (except price ) both extremely feature rich and powerful but not practical for the average person - honestly how many people need a car that tops out at 350+km/h? think of it like that; blackberries to me are the exclusive and more powerful product for people who are passionate about mobile devices but do not appeal to the average impulse buying consumer. once again an OPINION
    Last edited by nickthebold; 04-27-12 at 01:43 AM.
    04-27-12 01:35 AM
    If BlackBerry can strengthen in the photo, RIM still be able to contend with the IOS, but Blackberry did not let me see hope.
    04-27-12 02:09 AM
    iWorld might have more apps. But I just can't get myself to like iOS.

I signed out an iPad from work the other day for testing. I kept swiping on the bezel, especially for accessing the home screen! The TabletOS gestures are really great. The home button might be more intuitive for newbies. But power user needs power tools and I think the TabletOS delivers.

So if BB10 is going to be better than TabletOS (which it has to be), it'll be something that can stand against its competition, provided that RIM doesn't screw up its marketing.
    04-27-12 02:17 AM
112 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD