I completely agree.... worst part is they added support in 10.3 so that we could see the emojis sent to us but we don't have the ability to send them....it might be a problem with copyright though, maybe they can't just copy emojis from ios or android. They might have to make their own?

Z30 | 10.3.1.2708
    If someone sends you an emoticon copy it and put it in your personal dictionary on your BlackBerry 10 device that way you can use an emoticon by typing for example.

That's all folks. Works fine with me

Z10 STL100-2 10.3.1779
    09-01-15 08:48 AM
    It's actually moronic how many people have said we don't need emojis... Thats like when Blackberry didn't care about apps. Just because YOU don't care for emoji's it doesn't mean others feel the same. Even if ever single current BlackBerry User didnt use them, then converts will be able to use them and not be disappointed there is yet another thing missing within bb10.

Posted via CB10
    It's actually moronic how many people confuse "want" with "need". It's for sure a "nice to have", not "need to have".

There is absolutely no time when "BlackBerry didn't care about apps" and clearly shows how uninformed you are. Hyperbole in this thread is strong.

Feel free for any cell phone reps/sellers to jump in with "you wouldn't believe how many people would only buy a phone if it had the most emoji's". (Asia excluded). The facial expression on a sales rep must be priceless when a 40 year old man says, "but does it have all the latest emoji's? That is a must have for me."
    09-01-15 05:53 PM
    It's actually moronic how many people confuse "want" with "need". It's for sure a "nice to have", not "need to have".

There is absolutely no time when "BlackBerry didn't care about apps" and clearly shows how uninformed you are. Hyperbole in this thread is strong.

Feel free for any cell phone reps/sellers to jump in with "you wouldn't believe how many people would only buy a phone if it had the most emoji's". (Asia excluded). The facial expression on a sales rep must be priceless when a 40 year old man says, "but does it have all the latest emoji's? That is a must have for me."

How am I uninformed, Blackberry dismissed the Iphones release as they didn't think it would be a competitor. The original iphone came out in 2007 and their app store came out in 2008 and it wasn't till 2009 till blackberry world was released. I'm not saying emojis sell phones but I'm saying the blackberry OS shouldn't lack yet another feature of competitors that will cause people to say the Blackberry does have emojis, many apps (snap/play store is a work around), music to purchase, etc. Why strong arm consumers with features that are missing on bb10. I like bb10, the only OS I feel doesn't get truly buggy as opposed to ios 8 or android but we can't turn a blind eye for missing features

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 06:14 PM
    How am I uninformed, Blackberry dismissed the Iphones release as they didn't think it would be a competitor. The original iphone came out in 2007 and their app store came out in 2008 and it wasn't till 2009 till blackberry world was released. I'm not saying emojis sell phones but I'm saying the blackberry OS shouldn't lack yet another feature of competitors that will cause people to say the Blackberry does have emojis, many apps (snap/play store is a work around), music to purchase, etc. Why strong arm consumers with features that are missing on bb10. I like bb10, the only OS I feel doesn't get truly buggy as opposed to ios 8 or android but we can't turn a blind eye for missing features

Posted via CB10
    8 years ago? They had all the major apps on BBOS platform. We're talking BB10 here (~ 3 years). You're mixing up your complaints (lack of full touch phone and camera has nothing to do with "BlackBerry didn't care about apps"). You can't make a phone that is everything to everyone. For Christ's sake, the first iPhone didn't even have copy and paste for a long time! You couldn't talk and use it at the same time! You're also talking about decisions from up top who are not there anymore, by years. Many, many companies die because they have a market leading product that gives way to competition. Something about killing the golden goose... Off the top of my head, I can't think of a company other than IBM that once dominated a market so much and still alive (I don't consider Apple to have dominated in the 80's). I guess that was diversification.

Emoji's are entertainment. They are not productive or going to earn you extra money by being more efficient at what you do. Apple and Android clearly target entertainment. BlackBerry clearly targets productivity. They do NOT have the same target users and goals! I repeat, you can't make a phone that is everything to everyone. The iPhone certainly isn't anything of interest to me (email, their keyboard and lack of filesystem are forever dealbreakers for me on iOS). Who knows, maybe this is more difficult for BlackBerry to implement and keep their virtual keyboard and autocomplete being fast.

Emoji's: Nice to have, not need to have.
    09-01-15 06:34 PM
    8 years ago? They had all the major apps on BBOS platform. We're talking BB10 here (~ 3 years). You're mixing up your complaints (lack of full touch phone and camera has nothing to do with "BlackBerry didn't care about apps"). You can't make a phone that is everything to everyone. For Christ's sake, the first iPhone didn't even have copy and paste for a long time! You couldn't talk and use it at the same time! You're also talking about decisions from up top who are not there anymore, by years. Many, many companies die because they have a market leading product that gives way to competition. Something about killing the golden goose... Off the top of my head, I can't think of a company other than IBM that once dominated a market so much and still alive (I don't consider Apple to have dominated in the 80's). I guess that was diversification.

Emoji's are entertainment. They are not productive or going to earn you extra money by being more efficient at what you do. Apple and Android clearly target entertainment. BlackBerry clearly targets productivity. They do NOT have the same target users and goals! I repeat, you can't make a phone that is everything to everyone. The iPhone certainly isn't anything of interest to me (email, their keyboard and lack of filesystem are forever dealbreakers for me on iOS). Who knows, maybe this is more difficult for BlackBerry to implement and keep their virtual keyboard and autocomplete being fast.

Emoji's: Nice to have, not need to have.
    Your right, emojis aren't a need but u, like many loyal blackberry fans, u seem to settle for not having certain features, an attitude like 'what's the point'. BlackBerry can't just target productive users, we know that already from their numbers, they need their phones to appeal to a mass market to keep the hardware side alive. I rock a Passport and it's my favorite phone to date but at the end of the day the lacks of emojis do let me down, nowhere near enough to leave but it should have been addressed earlier on. If we want blackberry to succeed then we need them to cover more bases so that they can do everything an iPhone can do and more. Obviously u can't make an phone for everyone but the iphone is proof that with marketing that tells u need certain features and how frankly some features that are great but would never be used can somehow improve ur life, they can sell phones to a wide market. Even business users, so productive users have accepted and adopted the Iphone to be a business tool, does that mean that the Iphone is a productive tool? I see where your coming from but you to easily dismiss features that aren't a lot of work like emojis as opposed to being hundreds of apps, Blackberry doesn't even have an official FB app... yes I know not having official FB won't kill anyone but a consumer would expect that when buying a new phone in 2015. I didn't mention the lack of a full touch screen device simply because I'm talking about the software shortcomings that should be there. Here's a shortcoming that I've noticed from software on every single mobile OS since 2010, no ability to select all the contacts in your phonebook to delete, share, copy to sim, etc (on the operating system itself without the need for additional software such as on the computer) and that's not specific to BlackBerry (some previous phones had this feature and it was highly useful). To succeed, refinement is needed to ensure that BB10, ignoring the potential chance they switch to android, is so refined that it can do what an iPhone can do plus more otherwise the consumer looking for an upgrade will use it against getting a berry, such as, 'oh they have no apps', like I said, why strong-arm consumers with what the OS is lacking which will impact the sales. U must agree surely

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by hasa77; 09-01-15 at 07:43 PM.
    Coachbulldog and kbz1960 like this.
    09-01-15 06:58 PM
    Your right, emojis aren't a need but u, like many loyal blackberry fans, u seem to settle for not having certain features, an attitude like 'what's the point'. BlackBerry can't just target productive users, we know that already from their numbers, they need their phones to appeal to a mass market to keep the hardware side alive. I rock a Passport and it's my favorite phone to date but at the end of the day the lacks of emojis do let me down, nowhere near enough to leave but it should have been addressed earlier on. If we want blackberry to succeed then we need them to cover more bases so that they can do everything an iPhone can do and more. Obviously u can't make an phone for everyone but the iphone is proof that with marketing that tells u need certain features and how frankly some features that are great but would never be used can somehow improve ur life, they can sell phones to a wide market. Even business users, so productive users have accepted and adopted the Iphone to be a business tool, does that mean that the Iphone is a productive tool? I see where your coming from but you to easily dismiss features that aren't a lot of work like emojis as opposed to being hundreds of apps, Blackberry doesn't even have an official FB app... yes I know not having official FB won't kill anyone but a consumer would expect that when buying a new phone in 2015. I didn't mention the lack of a full touch screen device simply because I'm talking about the software shortcomings that should be there. Here's a shortcoming that I've noticed from software on every single mobile OS since 2010, did not ability to select all the contacts in your phonebook to delete, share, copy to sim, etc (on the operating system itself without the need for additional software such as on the computer) and that's not specific to BlackBerry (some previous phones had this feature and it was highly useful). To succeed, refinement is needed to ensure that BB10, ignoring the potential chance they switch to android, is so refined that it can do what an iPhone can do plus more otherwise the consumer looking for an upgrade will use it against getting a berry, such as, 'oh they have no apps', like I said, why strong-arm consumers with what the OS is lacking which will impact the sales. U must agree surely

Posted via CB10
    We are simply too different. I hate when emoji's are used excessively and without clear meaning (as a man, what can't be expressed with emoticons that have been around for 20 years?). You are a lot more easy going than I. I get miffed reading walls of text (please, separate topics/ideas with new paragraphs) like that with "u" all over the place when "you" is the exact amount of energy (u,spacebar = y+flickup completion). There is probably a not so nice word for it (anal?), but that's me. I don't want my brain to have to work extra hard to read native English or pull out the meaning. That should have all stopped when phones got proper keyboards and nice auto correction and auto completes. I can make complete sentences with 4-5 flicks! There's also people a lot worse than me (in terms of analness), too.

An iPhone is a status symbol to many, regardless of usability. A lot of people got an iPhone for the first time, they have no idea there are more productive phones out there. I know people who use it for nothing more than as a phone, which their old $60 android phone worked fine for years.

We just have different priorities and needs. Far apart, it seems. Back in 2013, I believe "be social" might have been part of their strategy and perhaps pumping resources into emoji's would have fit that.

As for justification, here is how it goes down.

When a company is super profitable, you can work on the nice-to-haves. When the company is bleeding developers and there is time crunches and less resources, all development has to be justified as revenue generating or to meet targets set by CEO/management. Some features are just an increase on support through updates, documentation or training. Will it lead to new sales? Can they point to specific numbers that they'd get X amount of new subscribers as a result of implementing such feature?

I just don't see anyone going into a mobile store and listing emoji's as a requirement or a major factor (other than teenage girls). I'll hear BlackBerry is dead or not cool for reasons not to buy BlackBerry, not "but they don't have emoji's".

If BlackBerry came out with an update with every single emoji in the next update, do you think there would be any measurable increase in BB10 users? My opinion is no, negligible, if any.

I feel like I'm getting old and have less patience than I did when I was younger.
    hasa77 likes this.
    09-01-15 07:32 PM
    We are simply too different. I hate when emoji's are used excessively and without clear meaning (as a man, what can't be expressed with emoticons that have been around for 20 years?). You are a lot more easy going than I. I get miffed reading walls of text (please, separate topics/ideas with new paragraphs) like that with "u" all over the place when "you" is the exact amount of energy (u,spacebar = y+flickup completion). There is probably a not so nice word for it (anal?), but that's me. I don't want my brain to have to work extra hard to read native English or pull out the meaning. That should have all stopped when phones got proper keyboards and nice auto correction and auto completes. I can make complete sentences with 4-5 flicks! There's also people a lot worse than me (in terms of analness), too.

An iPhone is a status symbol to many, regardless of usability. A lot of people got an iPhone for the first time, they have no idea there are more productive phones out there. I know people who use it for nothing more than as a phone, which their old $60 android phone worked fine for years.

We just have different priorities and needs. Far apart, it seems. Back in 2013, I believe "be social" might have been part of their strategy and perhaps pumping resources into emoji's would have fit that.

As for justification, here is how it goes down.

When a company is super profitable, you can work on the nice-to-haves. When the company is bleeding developers and there is time crunches and less resources, all development has to be justified as revenue generating or to meet targets set by CEO/management. Some features are just an increase on support through updates, documentation or training. Will it lead to new sales? Can they point to specific numbers that they'd get X amount of new subscribers as a result of implementing such feature?

I just don't see anyone going into a mobile store and listing emoji's as a requirement or a major factor (other than teenage girls). I'll hear BlackBerry is dead or not cool for reasons not to buy BlackBerry, not "but they don't have emoji's".

If BlackBerry came out with an update with every single emoji in the next update, do you think there would be any measurable increase in BB10 users? My opinion is no, negligible, if any.

I feel like I'm getting old and have less patience than I did when I was younger.
    To be honest if I wasn't easy going I would struggle through life.
    One thing I forgot to mention, bbm, looks at all the sticker packs that have been produced, stickers are no different to emotions. This leads me to believe Blackberry want to introduce more emotions, even if the sticker packs are meant to be source of income it does bring in the question why as a blackberry user do we have a smaller selection of emotions

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 07:47 PM
232 ... 8910