I was doing a bit of research in this storyline today and I quickly became frustrated by the amount of contradictory reporting and the lack of up to date info. iOS apps on BlackBerry would be a significant coup for BlackBerry and the story should pursued.

However it seems that the journalist over at gadgetmaster.com confused an ios-to-bb app convertor for an ios emulator. Unless I am mistaken, this is quite different thing.

I'm not sure which is a more promising technology of you want to run ios apps on your Bb. Do we hope for a ios runtime of sorts or do we hope for a converter that can repackage the ios apps in BlackBerry useable form.

I clearly am lacking the tech knowledge to digest this story line, so could someone present the relevant issues in a way that I, and others like me, can understand?

Also can someone update the progress of the various companies that were working on this issue - inception mobile particularly?

Posted via CB10
    Parrillas NY likes this.
    09-12-14 06:26 PM
    Since iOS isn't open source code, BlackBerry would have to reverse engineer their way to a working 'run time', or somehow steal the necessary code. Both of which would be extremely difficult to do and would be hugely frowned upon by the same types of consumers that BlackBerry intends to target. Not to mention they would get sued by Apple to the ground.

BlackBerry could much easily allow Google Play Services to run on the BB10 android run time, but they do not want to face the similar legal ramifications of doing so.
    09-12-14 06:38 PM
    Since iOS isn't open source code, BlackBerry would have to reverse engineer their way to a working 'run time', or somehow steal the necessary code. Both of which would be extremely difficult to do and would be hugely frowned upon by the same types of consumers that BlackBerry intends to target. Not to mention they would get sued by Apple to the ground.

BlackBerry could much easily allow Google Play Services to run on the BB10 android run time, but they do not want to face the similar legal ramifications of doing so.
    What about converting the apps then? Is that solution realistic?

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 06:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Only the devs can

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 06:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    not realistic different coding languages would have to recode to make it work not the same like android runtime.
    09-12-14 07:00 PM
    Apple will never allow an iOS runtime to exist. Apple enforces the fact that Apple software only runs on Apple hardware; so much so that they've sued various people that attempt to sell Hackintosh machines (PC hardware running Mac OS). I suggest forgetting about iOS app compatibility on BlackBerry devices because it's never going to happen.

Posted via CB10
    blackcatooow likes this.
    09-12-14 07:02 PM
    There are certain types of games which are easy to port from iOS to BlackBerry. Then you also have some apps that are just wrappers around HTML and JS. Those are also fairly portable.

In general, other types of apps are not easily ported. And anyone who says they have a converter is lying.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by app_Developer; 09-12-14 at 07:31 PM.
    09-12-14 07:05 PM
    not realistic different coding languages would have to recode to make it work not the same like android runtime.
    Not true. Devs have it easy. The thing that was previously thought to be an ios emulator was in fact a tool made by BlackBerry for easy transferring from ios to bb10 app

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 07:41 PM
    Not true. Devs have it easy. The thing that was previously thought to be an ios emulator was in fact a tool made by BlackBerry for easy transferring from ios to bb10 app

Posted via CB10
    What tool are you talking about?

09-12-14 07:47 PM
    What tool are you talking about?

Can't remember the name but someone showed me it. It's a program by BlackBerry that makes transitioning your app from ios to bb10 easy. Gameloft and Rovio used it for some of their games

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 07:54 PM
    Can't remember the name but someone showed me it. It's a program by BlackBerry that makes transitioning your app from ios to bb10 easy. Gameloft and Rovio used it for some of their games

Posted via CB10
    That wasn't a tool, it was a framework they ported. That approach works for certain types of games. That won't work for any other type of apps other than those particular games.

Those games make very limited use of iOS specific frameworks and APIs. Most apps make extensive use of Apple frameworks and APIs, which is why they aren't easily ported to BB10.

09-12-14 07:59 PM