Hey guys, I know this feels like it's been beaten to death but after upgrading my Passport to 10.3.1.2267 it seems to persist,.. which means it still needs a few more kicks.

Just a few minutes ago I had the first occurrences of flicker since I upgraded. Keep in mind that I did do two restarts after updating and an additional one before I went to bed last night.

Anyway, I wanted proof for those around here that don't believe this is happening and so I took my Z30 out to capture a clip of the flickering in all its glory.

It first started while playing a Classic promo video, in this case I got the green flashing.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir.aspx...nt=video%2cmp4

Then when I went to upload to OneDrive I noticed that it was flickering (loss of brightness) while in the file manager. Note that all graphic brightness is lost when the image is static, and it flickers while animation or scrolling is being rendered (this video shows current OS installed for the skeptics).

BUT THEN, I INADVERTENTLY NOTICED SOMETHING that I had not observed before.

THE FLICKERING STOPS IF YOU TURN THE PASSPORT SIDEWAYS (landscape). As you can see in this third clip, all brightness levels appear normal in static or dynamic rendering when rotated to landscape, but fall back to flickering when rotated to portrait.

So yeah,.. I'm not entirely sure what this tells us, but seems that either a refresh rate or field interleaving is being mishandled in the portrait orientation, and yet remains intact in the landscape orientation.

(if the links don't work I'll try to upload them to youtube).

Edit: yet another interesting finding. It seems that the flickering subsides when an toast notification is being rendered (but then returns once the notification disappears):

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 02-22-15 at 03:05 PM.
    02-22-15 02:27 PM
    Interesting, thanks !

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 02:32 PM
    I don't know, but that flickering is nauseating. My new Passport is coming in on Tuesday and there is no way I'm updating until this issue is fixed. How can anyone use the phone when its operating like that?
    02-22-15 02:33 PM
    now it should be easy to fix
    02-22-15 02:36 PM
    I don't know, but that flickering is nauseating. My new Passport is coming in on Tuesday and there is no way I'm updating until this issue is fixed. How can anyone use the phone when its operating like that?
    Well, if you close every open app and start over it seems to go away. In a way I wish it was more persistent and/or predictable/reproducible because it might be easier to track down.

However this is the first time I noticed the screen rotation correlation, and I haven't seen anyone mention it.

Btw I also did other 'tests' like enable the screen lock and change the brightness, neither of which seemed to have any effect.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 02:43 PM
    Have you emailed that to Blackberry?
    LazyEvul likes this.
    02-22-15 02:51 PM
    Well, if you close every open app and start over it seems to go away. In a way I wish it was more persistent and/or predictable/reproducible because it might be easier to track down.

However this is the first time I noticed the screen rotation correlation, and I haven't seen anyone mention it.

Btw I also did other 'tests' like enable the screen lock and change the brightness, neither of which seemed to have any effect.

Posted via CB10
    It's pretty interesting that the screen orientation definitely is related. I wonder if they were playing with the idea of making the entire OS work in both portrait and landscape mode but pulled it towards the end. It's definitely an annoying bug and I have had it happen just once so far (in the CB10 app, actually). I really hope that it gets fixed quickly.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    02-22-15 03:10 PM
    Have you emailed that to Blackberry?
    It's been pointed out a few hours ago for review.
    Thanks again animalpak200
    Alain_A and AnimalPak200 like this.
    02-22-15 06:46 PM
    If you are here, chances are you're interested in this : http://crackberry.com/blackberry-wor...flickering-fix

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    02-23-15 12:34 PM
    If you are here, chances are you're interested in this : http://crackberry.com/blackberry-wor...flickering-fix

Posted via CB10
    That's good to hear (read?) Hopefully the fix being tested works!

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-23-15 12:41 PM
    The same problem. Passport flickering. It started yesterday and now I have to reset the device to fix it when it occur. Grrrrrr

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 12:47 PM
    thats cool. the passport comes with a strobe light feature lol
    02-23-15 12:47 PM
    Fast tip based on my (previous beta version) tests.
    If you encounter flickering, fire the virtual keyboard, with 2 swipes on the PKB. Eventually works, depending of the situation.

P.S: I don't flick now but still on RC PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243
    Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 01:55 PM
    Fast tip based on my (previous beta version) tests.
    If you encounter flickering, fire the virtual keyboard, with 2 swipes on the PKB. Eventually works, depending of the situation.

P.S: I don't flick now but still on RC PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243
    Posted via CB10
    Yeah it seems that the different overlay layers seem to affect it. I know we'll probably never know what caused it or how it was fixed, but,.. it would be very interesting to find out/learn from.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-23-15 02:09 PM
    So what you're saying, is that you were all holding it wrong?

J/k

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    02-23-15 03:19 PM
    Fair one lol

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 03:26 PM
    So what you're saying, is that you were all holding it wrong?

J/k

Posted via CB10
    yeah, sounds like it. According to the video...LOL
    02-23-15 03:33 PM
    yeah, sounds like it. According to the video...LOL
    It's a throwback to Apple's antennagate scandal from years ago. "You're holding it wrong" was the gist of the initial response.
    Apple responds to iPhone 4 reception issues: you're holding the phone the wrong way
    02-23-15 08:52 PM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Yes you simply reboot (press up and down volume buttons simultaneously) and everything is fine afterwards.... I have had three instances of it only.. just rebooted and working fine afterwards..

OS 10.3.1 is awesome, notwithstanding that random glitch... hopefully an OTA fix for that will be released in the days ahead.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-23-15 09:07 PM