02-18-15 01:36 PM
67 123
tools
    Some of the main things I can think of:

1. Email compatibility. iOS cannot natively support Gmail's IMAP push. You need to install a separate app for that capability. In fact, Apple supports a limited number of IMAP push servers. However, Activesync works great on the iPhone.
    Never had issues getting Gmail IMAP to work on my wife's iPhone 3GS (iOS 6) and iPad Mini 2 (iOS 8.1).

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    02-12-15 09:36 PM
    [INFO]Use a Descriptive Title
    This rule is simple; help us to help you. When you create your thread / post, think of it as if 'someone else' is reading it. With that in mind, make your subject lines related to the content of your post. Having a subject line of 'help' or 'now what', will not really help others later when they do a search for a particular issue. So, try to be a little more creative. Example: “My Facebook notification will not show in the hub” or “How do I use Glympse on BBM? ” [/INFO]
    Would you mind if I made that my signature? Poorly worded titles bothers me to the core (I've posted a number of times to OP's) and not many seem to care .
    ppeters914 and Henry Jr like this.
    02-12-15 09:43 PM
    Actually iPhone happens to be more compliant with exchange active sync protocol than BlackBerry 10 phones. Up until 10.3.1 for example (mind that it is not officially released yet) you cannot choose which contact folder from exchange should be synced.

For a phone and company so proud in doing e-mail the best in the whole galaxy it seems just silly.

And this is just one example. I could survive the lack of thousands of apps, but the lack of basic sync capabilities is just frustrating.

Other than that, I love my z30

Glad that they addressed the contacts issue in new software version, but still the contacts app is lots to be desired. It would be great to sync different exchange (eas capabilities again) shared calendars - which iPhone does ok.

So here you go. I've heard that ios is the most compatible with active sync protocol os there is.

Posted via CB10
    I think you are mixing Contacts (which is/was severely lacking in functionality and flexibility) functionality with Exchange. When I connect my BB10 to my old exchange (Rackspace hosted), the contacts is setup automatically. Any feature to copy contacts from SIM to your mail/contacts is likely a Contacts feature, not Exchange related. Correct me if I'm wrong for those that didn't 'just worked' like mine did.

Also, do you have a source for the iOS compatibility being best for exchange? I find that hard to believe based on my limited experience with how limited mail setup was on iOS.

5 seconds of googling found this (the general complaint being mail has been garbage for a while, but its getting better in the last 6 months):
    J33ZyJCS2
    Sure I'll elaborate for the poster, Mail does not support Exchange Active Sync [EAS]. EAS is used for syncing outlook.com e-mails as well as some other serivces. This is completely separate from Exchange. Therefore Exchange Server based e-mail servers, which your company would use does not use the EAS infrastructure that your Exchange Server implements.

Herein lies the further issue, Office 2011 for Mac also does not support EAS. Therefore, you would have to use IMAP or POP still. The only useful way to use a desktop program to access you outlook.com e-mail in OS X 10.9 and 10.10 so far is to load up a virtual machine with Windows OS and load Outlook from the Microsoft Office 2013 package.

On OS X 10.10 [which I am on now] I am awaiting to see if Apple chooses to not alienate their EAS users anymore. So far I am disappointed; however, the situation is very fluid that may or may not change. As of right now there is no VMWare Fusion support for OS X 10.10 available to the public. I have an internal developer build of VMWare Fusion that runs on OS X 10.10; however, that is not currently available to the public. I have heard other virtualization packages may or may not be operational as OS X 10.10 builds may continue to break virtualization software capabilities.

tl;dr version there is no EAS-Exchange support
    Comment from Mail in OS X Yosemite: Explained | iMore, june 2014.

http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/favori...l-client-os-x/
    Microsoft’s Outlook for Mac isn’t really an alternative to Apple Mail. People in organizations that use Microsoft Exchange servers will find that it provides an experience that is in many ways more compatible than using Apple’s Mail and Calendar apps. If you’re an Outlook person, you’ll know it.
    So please clarify so I know exactly what you're talking about. Otherwise, no point in spreading misinformation. Thanks
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    02-12-15 09:56 PM
    Some of the things I can think of are;

1. Reply directly from a toast notification for any kind of apps. On iPhones you can only do it for iMessage

2. iPhones can only open 1 app at a time eg 1 Facebook, 1 WhatsApp, etc. BlackBerry 10 can open several at a time & switch between them seamlessly & effortlessly.

3. Connect wirelessly to my computer via Wifi or the Internet.

4. iOS doesn't have a file manager

5. iOS cannot support SD cards

6. iOS cannot download email attachments to their phones or computer, you need to do it through dropbox or Box.

7. iOS cannot download attachments via BBM or email & edit them directly. You need to use dropbox, iCloud or box to download & then edit it using other apps.

8. iOS cannot share songs

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 11:00 PM
    Would you mind if I made that my signature? Poorly worded titles bothers me to the core (I've posted a number of times to OP's) and not many seem to care .
    It would be over the limit for signature size, which is four lines. I change titles where I see them, but if you see one, you can report the post and say 'Poor title' un the box, and one of us can fix it. Titles have to be fixed by mods, anyway.

Many members seem to think the report button is to nark someone out, but it also helps us to respond to things that need to be fixed or adjusted, or moved to the proper forum. It is a way for you, or anyone else as a member, to help manage the content of the forums.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 02-13-15 at 11:18 AM.
    Umaima_B_Dia, BCITMike and wincyUt like this.
    02-12-15 11:06 PM
    I should have been more specific. I meant IMAP Push. If you use the native mail client, iOS will require you to poll your Gmail account at a specified interval. For IMAP push, you have to use the Gmail app.
    02-13-15 12:23 AM
    Differentiating features that I can think of at the moment:

-the hub (ability to reply to any and all messages - FB, Whatsapp, etc, from within it)
    -ability to attach attachments from other emails to brand new emails
    -the way they have implemented multitasking with active frames
    -virtual keyboard with flick typing
    -native file manager
    -cloud storage services built into native file manager
    -choice of cascades for the (few) native apps
    -Ability to browse your desktop files from within the native file manager

Differentiating features from iOS but not Android:

-Miracast support
    -USB OTG support
    -Ability to use phone as USB drive (drag and drop with Windows Explorer)
    -Expandable storage via Micro SD
    02-13-15 01:01 AM
    Heres something iphone doesnt have on os10.

Group text messaging. Iphone lets you do group messaging but it automatically puts it into group message and reply mode. Then when someone replies, everyone gets the message. Its extremley annoying.

Blackberry has messaging and group messaging down to a science.
    isn't that the point of group messaging? if I want to send something in a group chat, I want everyone to get it. if I only want one person in the group chat to get it, I send an individual message.
    02-13-15 02:03 AM
    I think you are mixing Contacts (which is/was severely lacking in functionality and flexibility) functionality with Exchange. When I connect my BB10 to my old exchange (Rackspace hosted), the contacts is setup automatically. Any feature to copy contacts from SIM to your mail/contacts is likely a Contacts feature, not Exchange related. Correct me if I'm wrong for those that didn't 'just worked' like mine did.

Also, do you have a source for the iOS compatibility being best for exchange? I find that hard to believe based on my limited experience with how limited mail setup was on iOS.

5 seconds of googling found this (the general complaint being mail has been garbage for a while, but its getting better in the last 6 months):

Comment from Mail in OS X Yosemite: Explained | iMore, june 2014.

http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/favori...l-client-os-x/

So please clarify so I know exactly what you're talking about. Otherwise, no point in spreading misinformation. Thanks
    Thanks for your reply!

First of all - I am not mixing the exchange and contact app. The thing is that configuring exchange account does sync your contacts (if desired) and they show as separate group in contacts app, but then the contacts app does what it does best - crap you get the all the link issues and so on. And don't dare to download your contacts via pc software - you will get double and triple entries... Furthermore when adding a new contact you have to remember to uncheck the local database otherwise you will bring medival evil on your ***...

This being said, if you follow couple of rules (which you have to be aware of and find them out first) you can manage with the contact app better with your exchange contacts than with the local database on your phone. I don't get double entries and basically the app works more or less as expected (sometimes I don't get the contact info with incoming call, just the number, sometimes no picture etc).

Regarding the rest of your replay - it seems that you might have actually mixed the ios with osx.

A statement that ios is the most compatible os with eas was presented here in the forums. I don't have any source for that unfortunately, but having configured the exchange online account on my iPad I must agree. All things were there: notes, contacts (with respectful folders to choose from), all calendars etc.

Now outlook.com and exchange (both the on premise and online as a part of office365) use active sync protocol now. Earlier Hotmail and outlook.com did not. There are different versions of EAS and iPhone is supposedly compatible with the most recent to the extent that even windows phone devices are not (funny isn't it?). Again I don't have a source to give you (read it somewhere), but based on what I have seen on my iPad I tend to agree.

And again - I am talking only about the ios. No idea about osx but can imagine that it might suck considering that even windows phone devices are not 100% compatible, I am not at all surprised that office for Mac isn't either.

Cheers!

Edit:

Checked and Wikipedia says that iPhone ios is actually not compatible with the most recent version (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compa...veSync_clients).

Well I don't know if this is right or not. All I am saying I suppose, is that ios has more compatibility regarding that matter than BlackBerry 10.

The fact that BlackBerry syncs suggested contacts folder (created by outlook) which is just a kind of suggestion cache for the software is ridiculous. The fact that up until 10.3.1 I can't choose not to sync this folder is frustrating. You get soooo much mess in your contacts app because of that. Some people don't even know the cause and blame the contact app for this which is only partially true).

Oh, well, I think this post is far beyond the topic of this thread already sorry for that.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kad6; 02-13-15 at 04:05 AM.
    02-13-15 03:50 AM
    Is there anything that BlackBerry OS can't do while IOS can?
    Yes

Cannot choose between glas or plastic keyboard
    02-13-15 05:43 AM
    Yes delay in facebook notifications is what BlackBerry can do, that iPhone can't.

Posted via CB10
    ZEDTROSPEKTIV likes this.
    02-13-15 06:00 AM
    1. Email compatibility. iOS cannot natively support Gmail's IMAP push. You need to install a separate app for that capability. In fact, Apple supports a limited number of IMAP push servers.
    Gmail push specifically doesn’t work, because Google intentionally disabled it to promote its own Gmail app. It used to work for some time just like Yahoo still works. From what I’ve heard, Google doesn’t follow the IMAP and CalDAV standards to the letter.

2. iPhones can only open 1 app at a time eg 1 Facebook, 1 WhatsApp, etc. BlackBerry 10 can open several at a time & switch between them seamlessly & effortlessly.
    I assume you mean proper background support, since BlackBerry 10 follows the same fullscreen model. It’s true that on BlackBerry 10, applications continue to run in the background, but iOS compensates this with very short loading times when switching between apps and piecemeal background processing. As someone who uses both BlackBerry 10 and iOS 8, the difference is almost unnoticeable, unless you do require the applications to continue processing tasks in the background (which iOS restricts severely to save battery and keep the system responsive).

6. iOS cannot download email attachments to their phones or computer, you need to do it through dropbox or Box.
    7. iOS cannot download attachments via BBM or email & edit them directly. You need to use dropbox, iCloud or box to download & then edit it using other apps.
    Actually, you can download attachments, as long as you have an app that can use the filetype and uses local document storage. PDF files can be imported into iBooks or other PDF readers and Office documents can be imported into Microsoft Office apps (or others). Similarly, you can share these PDF files or Office documents from within these apps over e-mail. However, it’s true that no such direct action exists within Apple’s Mail app, even though they’ve added extensions in iOS 8.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    02-13-15 09:24 AM
    Actually iPhone happens to be more compliant with exchange active sync protocol than BlackBerry 10 phones. Up until 10.3.1 for example (mind that it is not officially released yet) you cannot choose which contact folder from exchange should be synced.

For a phone and company so proud in doing e-mail the best in the whole galaxy it seems just silly.

And this is just one example. I could survive the lack of thousands of apps, but the lack of basic sync capabilities is just frustrating.

Glad that they addressed the contacts issue in new software version, but still the contacts app is lots to be desired. It would be great to sync different exchange (eas capabilities again) shared calendars - which iPhone does ok.

So here you go. I've heard that ios is the most compatible with active sync protocol os there is.

Posted via CB10
    Both of those bolded points are false i been able to do this since 10.0 when it first came out. Emails not only come faster on BB10 but i can sync as many or as little folders as i feel like doing it is a manual item and requires you do know what your doing.

Contacts are a different issue one i have never had luckily but i cant comment on that side.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    02-13-15 09:36 AM
    Both of those bolded points are false i been able to do this since 10.0 when it first came out. Emails not only come faster on BB10 but i can sync as many or as little folders as i feel like doing it is a manual item and requires you do know what your doing.

Contacts are a different issue one i have never had luckily but i cant comment on that side.
    Sorry, but no, they are not false.

The speed you receive your e-mails has nothing to do with the level of compatibility. There are countless factors that my result in faster or slower sync in that matter and they have nothing to do with compatibility at all.

Also, I didn't mean the mail folders which can be synced freely, I meant specifically contacts folders. Or tasks folders. Or calendar folders. I am a heavy and technically aware exchange user and I definitely know what I am doing.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 10:59 AM
    Flow! #1

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 11:34 AM
    My understanding is Google does follow the IMAP standards but have fiddled with the CALDAV specification. Still, BB10 will push with Gmail accounts (IMAP Idle) while iOS will not. Does this mean that iOS doesn't follow the IMAP standard? Considering the way iOS and Mac OS use server processes, I have to assume that they are both out of spec. My guess is that Yahoo! put together some proprietary version of IMAP Idle just for Apple. That would explain why people on Android and BB10 complain about Yahoo! Mail's inability to utilize IMAP Idle.

One of my favorite things about BB10 that I forgot to mention is the native file manager. iOS doesn't offer this and it's a shame not to have PC/Mac-like file control. I truly appreciate being able to easily navigate through the device, media card, Dropbox, Box, and One Drive so easily.
    02-13-15 12:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hm, my BB Z10 have no issues with exchange active sync protocol. Never heard this before. Consider myself a heavy user. Anyways, the only thing i know im missing is direct printing to my Canon wireless printer. IOS (tested iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S, iPad 4 and 5) allows for direct WIFI printing. BB OS 10 does not. Even when missing this key feature BB OS10 is my best experience to date.
    02-13-15 03:04 PM
    There are things.

BlackBerry 10 can manage files. Zip/unzip. Move, copy/cut/paste files.

Access files remotely via wifi/mobile/usb on your laptop/PC/Mac.

View and create emails, calendar, bbm, files directly via blend.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 04:15 PM
    Just interested to know is there any thing that BlackBerry OS can't do while IOZS can?
    Lots of people think iPhone as the best phone in india.
    I never used an iPhone so interested to know about it.

Posted via BlackBerry z10
    Well on IOS you can have your pics stolen and posted to the world, i don't think you can do that on a Blackberry
    02-13-15 09:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    I've got a hotmail email address and calendar synced to my passport and I went on outlook.com and set up a shared calendar for everyone in the family to use and it works fine for us across 3 platforms. Not sure what your issue is with shared calendars.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    02-14-15 01:10 AM
    One very awesome thing is the Timeshift feature of the BB10 cameras. It's a feature that I hadn't really used until recently. With it though, I can take really great photos of my baby with her mom and when I show people how it works, it blows their mind. Their first question is usually what app is it and can they get it for iPhone or iOS. Feels great to tell them that it's just a BlackBerry feature.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    02-14-15 01:34 AM
    One very awesome thing is the Timeshift feature of the BB10 cameras. It's a feature that I hadn't really used until recently. With it though, I can take really great photos of my baby with her mom and when I show people how it works, it blows their mind. Their first question is usually what app is it and can they get it for iPhone or iOS. Feels great to tell them that it's just a BlackBerry feature.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    It's a great feature but the BlackBerry camera is not that much improved with current mobile cameras especially lumia. For ex. Old lumia 720 camera blows z10 camera in almost every aspect. Similarly in passport they have improved it but need to update their software improvements in camera to improve it.

02-14-15 02:07 AM
    Last I checked iOS still couldn't send files over bluetooth to android/bb10 phones. I think you can get around it with an app you can pay for? :s

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    02-14-15 03:31 AM
    Last I checked iOS still couldn't send files over bluetooth to android/bb10 phones. I think you can get around it with an app you can pay for? :s

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    Share it might work.

02-14-15 03:41 AM
    Sorry, but no, they are not false.

The speed you receive your e-mails has nothing to do with the level of compatibility. There are countless factors that my result in faster or slower sync in that matter and they have nothing to do with compatibility at all.

Also, I didn't mean the mail folders which can be synced freely, I meant specifically contacts folders. Or tasks folders. Or calendar folders. I am a heavy and technically aware exchange user and I definitely know what I am doing.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I would say the speed (method) by which emails are received fall under level of compatibility and not Contacts. I still think you are talking about a BB10 handling issue between its internal contacts and the Contacts folder and not the compatibility of BB10 and the exchange server. For many of us, email to contacts/tasks is like 100:1 in terms of usage, so I would weigh email compatibility more than contacts. For example, in the wikipedia comparison, contacts and task sync account for one feature box each out of like 50. 10.0 and 10.1 are so long ago, I can't recall the exact details of initial contacts setup where I got a ton of duplicates, but that is just a poor implementation of the contacts handling in BB10, which would be same F up for imap or pop.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563324 for iOS compatibility issues. I didn't find an equivalent page for BB10 though there are knowledge base articles mentioning various BlackBerry things over the years. Probably exists.

I'd say the only people who know who has the most compatible mobile client today are the people who run the Logo Program.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/...o-program.aspx
    02-14-15 03:59 AM
67 123