I installed SNAP on my AT&T Passport.

Do I also need to install Cobalt's Google Play Store for BB10? I was going to install both just for the heck of it, but I can't figure out how to get the Google Play Store installed even after following the directions (I am positive it is me and not the instructions...)

If I have SNAP, am I missing out on anything by not installing the Google Play Store for BB10?
    05-30-15 09:44 AM
    I have Snap and no Google Play Services and it works fine. If I remember well the first time I started it I got the message that it needs Google Play Services but I tapped outside of the message and it disappeared.

Posted via CB10 on my awesome  Z(en) Ten
    05-30-15 09:59 AM
    I installed SNAP on my AT&T Passport.

Do I also need to install Cobalt's Google Play Store for BB10? I was going to install both just for the heck of it, but I can't figure out how to get the Google Play Store installed even after following the directions (I am positive it is me and not the instructions...)

If I have SNAP, am I missing out on anything by not installing the Google Play Store for BB10?
    Yes, you're missing out

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 10:00 AM
    Yes, you're missing out

Posted via CB10
    Can you expand on that?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 10:25 AM
    For me it depends what apps you want I guess. I have snap only and have mainly downloaded banking, airline and travel apps, which all work absolutely fine, without the need for Google services (at least for what I use them for). Perhaps see how you go with snap in the first instance. Like others have mentioned some apps will moan but just touch outside the Google services notification box.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 10:28 AM
    You are mixing up Google Play Services with Google Play store.

The Play Store is the real Google Play Store app. It supports all features of the Android version. You can directly buy apps, books, music and more directly from your device.

So the question is: Do you want to access all content that is available on Google Play. If yes, the Play Store is the one and only option.
    05-30-15 11:24 AM
    Can you expand on that?

Posted via CB10
    Besides what Cobalt232 said, Snap still cannot download certain types of apps which contain obb data and stuff like that from what I know. So there are some apps which you just wouldn't be able to download and install properly with Snap. I'm not against Snap or anything just responding to your query.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 02:00 PM
    Thanks everyone for their input.

Cobalt - Maybe I am confusing Google Play Store and Google Play Services. I have never heard of the second one. In fact, I am really not familiar with SNAP at all (Or BlackBerry, or technology!)

1) I thought SNAP just meant it will take an android app (what I came from) and let me put it and use it on my PP. But now reading these responses, it sounds like it doesn't take *every* android app and make it available for BB?

2) I saw Cobalts tutorial "Google Play Store for BB10" and tried following the directions but couldn't get it to work. So I was wondering if I needed Google Play Store if I had SNAP. Sounds like I may...depending on if an app I want is not available on SNAP

4) What is Google Play SERVICES? Never heard of it. It is different from the play store?
    05-31-15 09:04 AM
    Just a friendly reminder. If you keep your old Android device, you can transfer any APK available on the Google Play Store and email it to your BlackBerry. There are APK Extractor apps on the the Google store. The apps that require Google Services may not run. This is just an alternative to Snap.

Posted via CB10
    BluePumpkinBerry likes this.
    05-31-15 09:42 AM

4) What is Google Play SERVICES? Never heard of it. It is different from the play store?
    Google Play Services is a Framework provided by Google. It's an apk file and it contains several features and functions that can be used by other apps. Some apps will try to access this framework and will report an error if it is not installed.

I provide a patched version of the Google Services Framework in my threads.
    05-31-15 09:46 AM
    Thanks everyone for their input.

Cobalt - Maybe I am confusing Google Play Store and Google Play Services. I have never heard of the second one. In fact, I am really not familiar with SNAP at all (Or BlackBerry, or technology!)

1) I thought SNAP just meant it will take an android app (what I came from) and let me put it and use it on my PP. But now reading these responses, it sounds like it doesn't take *every* android app and make it available for BB?

2) I saw Cobalts tutorial "Google Play Store for BB10" and tried following the directions but couldn't get it to work. So I was wondering if I needed Google Play Store if I had SNAP. Sounds like I may...depending on if an app I want is not available on SNAP

What happened when you followed Cobalt's tutorial for Google Play Store? It's down to three steps and three files now. First thing you need is to have a Google account. The first file in the tutorial allows you to create one or use an existing one. Once you have one all you need to do is use it the login. Then click the triangle in the bottom right of the screen.

The second file is just to generate a unique Googleid for your phone and register it with your Google account. You should already be signed in with your Google account in this app so you should only need to click on register. If it asks for any username or password you just put in the same Google account info that you used in the first app.

The third file is the actual Google play store. You don't have to login in that one. Just open and start downloading.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 03:43 PM
    I still have the beta version of snap,has there been an update on it yet?

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 07:28 PM
    I find that many apps are only available on the Google play store and not on Snap. Most of the ones that I'm interested in are convenience apps from local businesses such as my gym to schedule classes or Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    JAS0NB0URNE likes this.
    07-19-15 08:35 PM