I’d like to use my last Z30 to show Zoom meetings on a TV. Obviously, Zoom does not work with BB10 devices, but I love my micro HDMI cord that goes from my Z30 to HDMI.
    I wonder if there is another OS that can be installed onto a Z30.

Failing that, is there another older phone that I might buy off Kijiji that has micro HDMI?
    Thanks.
    09-30-20 05:09 PM
    Folks keep asking, but the answer is the same:

No. The only OS you can install on a BB10 device is BB10.
    cdbh likes this.
    09-30-20 05:22 PM
    I’d like to use my last Z30 to show Zoom meetings on a TV. Obviously, Zoom does not work with BB10 devices, but I love my micro HDMI cord that goes from my Z30 to HDMI.
    I wonder if there is another OS that can be installed onto a Z30.

Failing that, is there another older phone that I might buy off Kijiji that has micro HDMI?
    Thanks.
    What's the fuss about HDMI? You can get a Chromecast for less than $30.

Get a brand new (comes out next month) $139 Nokia 2.4 if you're on a super-tight budget. 3 years of security patches, and 2 Android version updates.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-2-4
    ppeters914 likes this.
    09-30-20 05:31 PM
    What's the fuss about HDMI? You can get a Chromecast for less than $30.
    Hard to take this question seriously. What's the fuss with a hard wire connection vs Wifi to Wifi streaming?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-20 07:38 PM
    Hard to take this question seriously. What's the fuss with a hard wire connection vs Wifi to Wifi streaming?

Posted via CB10
    Normally nothing. But if you have to search for a new phone anyway, that seems like an unnecessary constraint.
    09-30-20 07:50 PM
    Normally nothing. But if you have to search for a new phone anyway, that seems like an unnecessary constraint.
    Even if it is a constraint... many devices will do HDMI out on the USB-C connector, just need and adapter.

OP would just need to look for that option, if he likes wires.

But I like wireless as well....
    mh1983 likes this.
    10-01-20 09:00 AM
    An unnecessary constraint to you is a user preference to someone else.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-20 10:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    Is there advantage to wires on a new Android/iOS device over wireless?
    10-01-20 11:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Sure, but perhaps the OP wasn't aware that this can be done wirelessly now, as he was still using a Z10.

Seems you're expending a lot of effort on chiding me here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    10-01-20 11:05 AM
    Sure, but perhaps the OP wasn't aware that this can be done wirelessly now, as he was still using a Z10.

Seems you're expending a lot of effort on chiding me here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    No energy wasted, not to worry. Just challenging what you said earlier. It seemed a bit dismissive of what the OP was asking for.
    Last edited by mh1983; 10-01-20 at 11:47 AM.
    10-01-20 11:20 AM
    Is there advantage to wires on a new Android/iOS device over wireless?
    For "cast" type streaming, sure. I haven't seen it work consistently well between a phone (sender) and TV w/ dongle or smart TV (receiver). It's only as good as the WiFi, the way the router is set up, distance between sender/receiver, how "clean" the radio signal is. Even if you tweak the WiFi settings, things can drop or get lossy pretty quick. (I had this experience with trying to "Airplay" my parents' iPad to their smart TV. it looked abysmal. They opted for the firebolt/lightning bolt/whatever-to-HDMI cable and problem solved. Perhaps iPad-to-Apple TV would've been a smoother experience, but why would they run out and buy a new streaming box when a cable sufficed to hook into their existing solution?).

IMO and based on my experience, hard wire options (ethernet, HDMI, etc) are vastly superior to wireless ones. Granted, Wifi casting has come a long way but there are more potential points of resistance or failure along the way.
    Last edited by mh1983; 10-01-20 at 11:34 AM.
    10-01-20 11:22 AM
    Even if it is a constraint... many devices will do HDMI out on the USB-C connector, just need and adapter.

OP would just need to look for that option, if he likes wires.

But I like wireless as well....
    Exactly.
    10-01-20 11:25 AM
    No energy wasted, not to worry. Just challenging what you said earlier. It seemed a bit dismissive of what the OP was asking for.
    Gotcha.
    mh1983 likes this.
    10-01-20 11:51 AM
    For "cast" type streaming, sure. I haven't seen it work consistently well between a phone (sender) and TV w/ dongle or smart TV (receiver). It's only as good as the WiFi, the way the router is set up, distance between sender/receiver, how "clean" the radio signal is. Even if you tweak the WiFi settings, things can drop or get lossy pretty quick. (I had this experience with trying to "Airplay" my parents' iPad to their smart TV. it looked abysmal. They opted for the firebolt/lightning bolt/whatever-to-HDMI cable and problem solved. Perhaps iPad-to-Apple TV would've been a smoother experience, but why would they run out and buy a new streaming box when a cable sufficed to hook into their existing solution?).

IMO and based on my experience, hard wire options (ethernet, HDMI, etc) are vastly superior to wireless ones. Granted, Wifi casting has come a long way but there are more potential points of resistance or failure along the way.
    Thanks for the reply. I should have put in context..... I bought my son his Apple TV in 2012 without the slightest idea what it was.

I just went to streaming from cable in 2020 and it was simply done cold turkey. We had moved the last week of March and Frontier was only able to hookup my FIOS internet that day.

So in a nutshell, I entered 2010, in 2020 and I’m still learning.
    mh1983 likes this.
    10-01-20 12:21 PM