There have been discussions and speculation about the upcoming "Jakarta" BlackBerry smartphone designed for Indonesia.

I would love to know what INDONESIANS think about what features are most important to you if you had a chance to design that new device any way you like.

Rather than post an easily-gamed poll, I will enumerate a list of features and posters can simply include the feature number(s) in their posts that most appeal to them. I may add features to the post if I missed something in the OP.

I will tally votes after each list item in curly-braces, like this: {2} equals 2 votes.

1. All Touchscreen {7}
    2. Hardware Keyboard {2}
    3. Deluxe Hardware Keyboard (like Q10)
    4. 2GB RAM minimum (like current devices) {10}
    5. 1GB RAM minimum (cost-saving measure, runs fewer apps)
    6. 8 GB Internal Storage {7}
    7. 8 GB Internal Storage + add-on card {2}
    8. 16 GB Internal Storage {1]
    9. Price under $300 USD {1}
    10. Price under $200 USD {8}
    11. Price under $100 USD
    12. 4.5" screensize minimum {2}
    13. 4.0" screensize minimum {2}
    14. 720p resolution screen minimum {2}
    15. No larger than Z10 size {2}
    16. 8MP camera minimum + dual flash + autofocus {1}
    17. 8MP camera {2}
    18. 8MP camera w/ 1MP front camera {1}
    19. 5MP camera
    20. 5MP camera + flash + autofocus {5}
    21. 5MP camera + 1MP front camera {1}
    22. USB OTG {5}
    23. Miracast
    24. HDMI output {1}
    25. 2G + 3G + LTE / 4G network capability {2}
    26. 2G + 3G + 3.5G (ie HSDPA) network capability {2}
    27. 2G + 3G network capability {5}
    28. WiFi capability {3}
    29. WiFi + WiFi-direct capability {4}
    30. BIS / affordable data plan {3}
    31. NO BIS {4}
    32. Dual SIM capability
    33. OS 10.2.1.xxxx w/ APK Android app install ability {2}
    34. Removable battery {8}
    35. Battery life 20-24 hrs after overnight charge {1}
    36. Colorful battery cover {4}

Please let me know if there are any other key features that are of interest and I will add them.

And remember that lower price usually entails sacrifices, so you may not be able to get all the features at the lowest price. But go ahead and list your desires in any case.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Omnitech; 01-02-14 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Updated list, tallied votes
    kbz1960, Uzi, zocster and 1 others like this.
    12-30-13 04:24 PM
    Price would have to be under $300 and has to have the minimum bones like 2gb of ram, at least 8gb rom. Camera 8mp, has to have 2g and 3g, not only 3g
    12-30-13 06:15 PM
    As an Indonesian this is my desire list that hopefully will suit Indonesian market, but still maintain the low price concept:

1. Price under $200 USD
    2. 2GB RAM minimum
    3. 8 GB Internal Storage
    4. 5MP camera + flash + autofocus
    5. All Touchscreen
    6. USB OTG
    7. 2G & 3G network
    8. BIS
    9. WiFi-direct capability
    10. Removable battery
    11. Colorful battery cover
    12-30-13 06:27 PM
    As an Indonesian this is my desire list that hopefully will suit Indonesian market, but still maintain the low price concept:

1. Price under $200 USD
    2. 2GB RAM minimum (like current devices)
    3. 5MP camera + flash + autofocus
    4. All Touchscreen
    5. USB OTG
    6. BIS
    7. WiFi-direct capability
    8. Removable battery
    9. Colorful battery cover
    I like this.
    Realistic and yet current. For an entry level or low costs. I think BlackBerry is doing this on the Jakarta model. *cross fingers

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10
    Otech#CB and chrizrun30 like this.
    12-30-13 06:30 PM
    Thanks for your contributions so far. Looking forward to more, if you're out there..
    12-30-13 07:18 PM
    Updated OP with chrizrun30's suggestions.

Question: when you say "BIS", is this mostly due to carrier service pricing for "BIS" service?

I have been told that many carriers in developing countries have been getting equally aggressive these days for ie "social media plans" for Android devices too.
    12-30-13 07:29 PM
    I am starting to tally votes now, within curly braces {} after each line item in OP.

I am only tallying chrizrun30's votes so far because zocster appears to be in New Zealand and jafrul appears to be in Malaysia.

If I am incorrect on the above please let me know, thanks.
    12-30-13 07:39 PM
    I am starting to tally votes now, within curly braces {} after each line item in OP.

I am only tallying chrizrun30's votes so far because zocster appears to be in New Zealand and jafrul appears to be in Malaysia.

If I am incorrect on the above please let me know, thanks.
    Indonesian born New Zealander lol I also call Australia home, when convenient...

Further note, I see why also bbry contracting out Indonesia to manufacture. They can reach South East Asian markets easily, and also, reaching out to Asia Pacific countries like Au and NZ.

So you might want to tally those that voted IMHO.. This is not about EU and USA/Canada anymore. ..
    Last edited by zocster; 12-30-13 at 07:55 PM.
    12-30-13 07:43 PM
    Indonesian born New Zealander lol I also call Australia home, when convenient...

OK, I will tally your choices, thanks.
    12-30-13 07:52 PM

1. Price under $200 USD
    2. 2GB RAM minimum
    3. 8 GB Internal Storage
    5. All Touchscreen
    6. USB OTG
    7. 2G & 3G network
    8. BIS
    10. Removable battery
    this I agree with the right pricing I believe BlackBerry will sell like hell in indonesia

Posted via CB10
    zocster likes this.
    12-30-13 08:02 PM

1. Price under $200 USD
    2. 2GB RAM minimum
    3. 8 GB Internal Storage
    5. All Touchscreen
    6. USB OTG
    7. 2G & 3G network
    8. BIS
    10. Removable battery
    I couldn't agree more...

Posted via CB10
    zocster likes this.
    12-30-13 08:09 PM

Question: when you say "BIS", is this mostly due to carrier service pricing for "BIS" service?

I have been told that many carriers in developing countries have been getting equally aggressive these days for ie "social media plans" for Android devices too.
    BIS is free in NZ with any post paid plans, and in Indonesia etc they have prepaid plans with them. Just not seeing how bb10 would work with BIS though...
    12-30-13 08:18 PM
    Vote tallies updated.
    12-30-13 08:21 PM
    BIS is free in NZ with any post paid plans, and in Indonesia etc they have prepaid plans with them. Just not seeing how bb10 would work with BIS though...
    That's why I ask what chrizrun30's reasoning was - if it was because BIS plans there are typically more affordable than other sorts of plans, then in effect I think that such a vote is actually a vote for an affordable carrier plan, not necessarily "BIS" specifically.

Let's see what she has to say.

(FWIW, one might consider BB10 to support "BIS" in the sense that any time the BlackBerry logo is displayed on a BB10 device, this indicates that a tunnel to the BlackBerry NOC is active. The NOC is used to route traffic for BBM, PIN messages, and BES-secured traffic.)
    12-30-13 08:24 PM

1. Price under $200 USD
    2. 2GB RAM minimum
    3. 8 GB Internal Storage
    5. All Touchscreen
    6. USB OTG
    7. 2G & 3G network
    8. BIS
    10. Removable battery
    it is a standard price for today phone....with same price SAMSUNG GALAXY CORE already have almost everything you mention above (minus ram, and BIS)... expect samsung lower their galaxy core price at april / may to $150 and offer a better specs phone with $200 price tag.

if BB want to win in indonesia they have to launch a better specs phone with lower price than samsung...BB Brand image in indonesia are dropping very quickly... andromax local android vendor are selling more than BB while samsung outselling BB 3:1 in indonesia

i expect a $165 ( Rp 2 million) with :
    * min 4.5 inch screen , minimum 720p
    * 8 gb storage
    * 8mp camera + front camera min 1 mp
    * 2GB ran (because BB10 need 2GB ram)
    * HSDPA
    * no BIS Plan (it is more expensive and slower internet connection than regular data plan)
    Last edited by garnok; 12-30-13 at 08:45 PM.
    12-30-13 08:28 PM
    That's why I ask what chrizrun30's reasoning was - if it was because BIS plans there are typically more affordable than other sorts of plans, then in effect I think that such a vote is actually a vote for an affordable carrier plan, not necessarily "BIS" specifically.

Let's see what she has to say.

(FWIW, one might consider BB10 to support "BIS" in the sense that any time the BlackBerry logo is displayed on a BB10 device, this indicates that a tunnel to the BlackBerry NOC is active. The NOC is used to route traffic for BBM, PIN messages, and BES-secured traffic.)
    BIS are more expensive and have slower connection

today you have to pay min $5 only to use BBM + social network ( no browsing etc) or pay $8 to use full services , while with regular data plan for android, iphone you just pay $2 and get 600MB data plan or pay $5 and get 3GB data plan.

note :
    data plan prices for indonesia big three carrier Telkomsel, indosat, XL
    12-30-13 08:39 PM
    Item list and vote tally updated.

BTW - those of you who did not list a preference for keyboard - shall we put you down in the "full touchscreen" preference column?

Thanks.
    12-30-13 08:50 PM
    Item list and vote tally updated.

BTW - those of you who did not list a preference for keyboard - shall we put you down in the "full touchscreen" preference column?

Thanks.
    Oh, I forgot to put keyboard as preference on mine, sorry. I am looking to replace my 9900 with the keyboard model out of Indonesia.
    12-30-13 09:02 PM

For a moderate and heavy internet users, I can say BIS plans are typically better than other sorts of plans.
    BIS is one the of the reason why legacy BlackBerry users stays with their device, since they don't need to worry with their data usage.
    Sator likes this.
    12-30-13 09:28 PM
    For a moderate and heavy internet users, I can say BIS plans are typically better than other sorts of plans.
    BIS is one the of the reason why legacy BlackBerry users stays with their device, since they don't need to worry with their data usage.

OK so basically it pertains to "affordable data service", as I mentioned above then. Thanks.
    12-30-13 09:59 PM
    BIS are more expensive and have slower connection

today you have to pay min $5 only to use BBM + social network ( no browsing etc) or pay $8 to use full services , while with regular data plan for android, iphone you just pay $2 and get 600MB data plan or pay $5 and get 3GB data plan.

note :
    data plan prices for indonesia big three carrier Telkomsel, indosat, XL
    BIS are getting cheaper since BB10 released.
    I'm on Telkomsel and BIS now less than $ 7 with unlimited data plan compared to $5 for 3GB, with that tiny margin BIS will win for sure.

If you're talking about connection speed, it's varies with carrier.
    I found that BIS is a little slower than volume based plans, but not much different since they still on 3G network.
    Last edited by chrizrun30; 12-30-13 at 10:29 PM.
    12-30-13 10:00 PM

1. Price under $200 USD
    2. 2GB RAM minimum
    3. 8 GB Internal Storage
    5. All Touchscreen
    6. USB OTG
    7. 2G & 3G network
    8. BIS
    10. Removable battery
    Agree... but not BIS.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 10:22 PM
    1. Price cheaper is better but if the quality is not equal to Z10 minimum then its a waste
    2. 2GB RAM minimum
    3. 8 GB Internal Storage + external storage support
    4. 8MP camera or more + dual flash + autofocus
    5. All Touchscreen
    6. USB + HDMI
    7. 2G & 3G & LTE network
    8. 10.2.1.xxxx is a must with Android APK capabilities
    9. Removable battery
    10. Size like iPhone 5 or maximum like Z10
    12-30-13 10:32 PM
    1. Price cheaper is better but if the quality is not equal to Z10 minimum then its a waste
    2. 2GB RAM minimum
    3. 8 GB Internal Storage + external storage support
    4. 8MP camera or more + dual flash + autofocus
    5. All Touchscreen
    6. USB + HDMI
    7. 2G & 3G & LTE network
    8. 10.2.1.xxxx is a must with Android APK capabilities
    9. Removable battery
    10. Size like iPhone 5 or maximum like Z10
    I want native apps. Not android apk.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 10:52 PM
    The Jakarta phone isn't going to have BIS as an option as BB10 doesn't support it.

Posted via CB10 on Z10 STL100-2 on EE, UK - Activated on BES10.2
    12-30-13 11:16 PM
70 123