12-17-14 01:37 PM
54 123
tools
    I m getting pissed off with the Contacts. One contact name get generated into so many similar names with empty details. What a useless hassle. BB is reverse gear mode!

Posted via CB10
    I had this problem, but when I updated to Z10STL100-4/10.3.0.700 the problem went away

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 05:07 AM
    I fully agree with your comments above. That's something really annoying and I have just stopped using my Z30 because of that. I am now using a cheap Nokia Lumia 630 waiting for OS 10.3. It's unbelievable how long is taking BB to sort it out.
    08-08-14 05:23 AM
    WHY Does it take a gillion taps from the call screen to edit a contact! ! The call screen has a different list of contacts than the contacts app and you have to open the contacts app then open the contact AGAIN just to change a name or number.. NOT Fast NOT efficient, this is not BlackBerry..

Check Out TechCraze
    08-08-14 05:30 AM
    Skype is the main source of duplicate contacts. Each time you open skype, it adds a bunch of new contacts, make sure you don't sync your contacts from Skype.

Many other duplicate contacts comes from the fact that they aren't linked together. Either link them manually or unsync the contacts from the account it comes from.

All this has been discussed many times

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 07:52 AM
    when i was chatting with a friend on BBM , the pic appeared of another friend in the instant preview .
    08-08-14 11:38 AM
    when i was chatting with a friend on BBM , the pic appeared of another friend in the instant preview .
    That's because one of your contact is linked erroneously with another one. Happened to me before.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 03:29 PM
    I also have had duplicate contacts using only Gmail (no facebook, SIM and so on contacts) and to find it frustrating.

Another issue I have with the contacts is placing calls.

When I find a contact and call them the contacts app should automatically close saving a swipe and tap=saved time.

Mashing buttons on a Q10 is one of my favorite activities :-)
    08-08-14 10:39 PM
    I think there are more serious issues with the Contacts app than those highlighted by the OP (like duplication, missing contacts, no option to specify a customized phone category, etc.), but also glad to hear that at least some issues are being addressed in 10.3. Hopefully, the future updates address more issues!

Posted via Z10
    08-09-14 05:13 AM
    I have up to 7 duplicates of contacts. Un linking is dangerous as you might loose info as I found out. Apart from my local contacts I only have a Windows Live account linked. I dont know how to access local accounts as there is no link to them, but they appear under linked accounts. When you open a contact there us no info in the account they are linked to so you are pretty much in the dark. My Live contacts don't have thus problem.

Waiting for 10.3

Z30)++
    08-09-14 02:07 PM
    Contacts is a mess. Linking is hit and miss. I'll link a contact to a BBM contact and I will end up with two or more BBM pin numbers all asking me to invite the person to BBM. They are already in BBM!

I've hate how Contacts assumes that all numbers can be texted to. I hate how valuable screen real estate is used to show Call Work, Text Work as separate lines. Why not use icons on the same line?

Same for addresses. Can we have an option to turn off Country? Can we show city, Province and Postal code on the same line?

Can we choose what to link and not link from Facebook?

Contacts is a disaster.
    08-09-14 06:42 PM
    Looking at my contacts, I have 60 local and 123 synced from my live account. Somehow my Z30 morphs that into 1173! Linking this mess does not fix the underlying problem nor deleting as you don't know what you are deleting.

If you create a contact on the phone it becomes a local contact, but it does not say so. You only find out when you filter out all contacts in settings (there is no setting for local). What is left is local. The OS needs to be clearer on this.

Z30)++
    08-10-14 01:25 PM
    When I create a new contact on my Z10, it creates a Local copy and also a copy in my Google contacts. Not sure why it needs both but I always "clear local contacts" on my phone.

Incredible flaws in Contacts-img_20140810_175106.png

Posted via Z10
    08-10-14 04:51 PM
    Nope, I have checked that .
    something else is wrong .
    That's because one of your contact is linked erroneously with another one. Happened to me before.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 12:04 PM
    After a few OS updates is sad to see how far behind is the native Contacs and the incredible flaws it has. I run 10.2.1.537 (Q10).

Blackberry developing team should be ashamed. And I am sure nothing there won't be a fix in version 10.3.

Flaw # 1
    Cannot copy any field in view mode. You should edit the contact in order to copy a field.

Flaw # 2
    In edition mode the address field doesn't offer COPY or CUT options. Incredible!

See it your self.

Attachment 289266

Posted via CB10
    I can copy...

Attachment 290219
    Attached Thumbnails Incredible flaws in Contacts-img_20140811_101849.png  
    08-11-14 12:19 PM
    Rather than wait for 10.3 I installed an app to back up my contacts. Then I de selected all contact links and removed all on the SIM. I was now left with local contacts. For most of them I found several linked contacts for my local ones and strangely also from my Live account that had already been disabled. I now proceeded to unlink them all (some were Skype only). When I got the warning message that deleting a contact would also delete all those linked, I unlinked again and save. I then exited the contact and when selecting it again all "duplicate links" were gone, but instead I had over 60 duplicate contacts for one person. Tediously I had to manually delete those I did not need. Thinking I was on the right track, I continued editing, but found to my dismay that other contacts duplicated almost in front of my eyes! So I'm back to square one or worse!

I think the problem lies in the way the OS tries to merge info from local, online, Skype, Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Z30)++
    08-11-14 03:33 PM
    I am in no way claiming that the Contacts app is flawless, but here is what I have figured out since I am kinda anal about keeping my Contacts "clean"...I have learned that the Contact name must be the same in all accounts for them to be "linked" automatically. Otherwise, I have to do it manually. Once I "Link" the various Contacts pages together, I find I do not have to do it again. Pretty much, I just enter in full first and last names as Contacts and that solves much of the issues I have had. But I do not have Twitter or Skype. If people use odd ball names on various accounts, you will have to Link them together to keep them under one Contact page. It seems I have to do some 'housecleaning' every time I switch devices or load an OS. I also seem to lose info on a few recent Local contacts I've added whenever I switch devices or load a new OS even if I restore with BB Link over the computer.
    08-11-14 10:40 PM
    Clearly a problem for sure. Throughout various releases I have had so many unexpected things happen i have given up. Exponentially growing duplicates. Some dupes with no info at all. Some contacts that just mysteriously disappear. Contacts from other services that i turn off turn back on automagically. It seems like (not kidding really) every time I look at the list it is different than before. Huge disappointment.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 10:50 PM
    Clearly a problem for sure. Throughout various releases I have had so many unexpected things happen i have given up. Exponentially growing duplicates. Some dupes with no info at all. Some contacts that just mysteriously disappear. Contacts from other services that i turn off turn back on automagically. It seems like (not kidding really) every time I look at the list it is different than before. Huge disappointment.

Posted via CB10
    It's ugly and I'm sure they know it. It must be a complicated fix to be taking this long.

Posted via CrackBerry App - Samsung Galaxy S4
    08-12-14 07:54 PM
    I can copy...

Attachment 290219
    So the problem affects Q10 and not Z10 devices.

My test was while running OS 10.2.1.537 and according to replies to this post 10.3 has the problem solved.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 09:34 PM
    I'm on 10.3....

And both of these "problems" seem to have been corrected.
    The fact that BlackBerry thought it was OK to ship a product with these problems and not fix them for how many years? Is unbelievable this is why I can't talk about BlackBerry with anyone or even recommend their products.

Crackberry is always posting articles about the upcoming Passport and how great it is. Every single article talk about how "sexy" the hardware is and no one talks about the software which has been BlackBerry biggest problem.

Hardware was never the problem. I had 3 friends that I initially converted to BBM we used it for 4 months. Every step of the way they complained about group chat being convoluted "when someone clicks on a group they expect to be taken to the chat window not another window that asks to choose from images, events, and the chat window". We recently gave up on BBM and moved to Facebook Chat. There's also a bug in Android/iOS BBM where you get a notification of an incoming message but the message is delayed when you launch the app to view the message you had already read in the notification.

Adding folders to imap accounts I had to create a forum thread because it was buried so deep in HUB. At first I thought it wasn't possible to creat folders.

Posted via my Q10
    08-12-14 10:48 PM
    Haven't had any problems so far. Cross my fingers.

I synced with Gmail, outlook (hotmail), facebook. No duplicates the far other than about 40 contacts that should have been linked but understandably were not due to discrepancies in first name spellings etc.

Note- I disabled syncing after the invitation since. Just to be sure nothing gig messed up. I almost always enter contacts via my phone do that's fine to not always be syncing with other softwares in my case.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 08:06 PM
    I've never had duplicate contacts as in, 2 Tonys or 2 Freds... BUT I've had every contact magically appear with the same number multiple times all in different formats. Its been like that with me since day one, eg 647-xxx-xxxx, +1647-xxx-xxxx, (647) xxx-xxxx, 647xxxxxxx. I had to manually fix every single one, then it would happen again in a while.

Posted via my AzzazzinBerry (STL100-3/10.3.0.1052)
    08-26-14 09:08 PM
    Same issue I continue to have.

I think I have the issue sorted. I turned off 2 way syncing contacts in blackberry link and selected 1 way from device.

Hopefully blend is better.

Posted via white Q10 running 10.2.2.1531
    08-27-14 03:52 AM
    After installing official 10.2.1.3062 today, the reported flaws continue in Q10 devices. :-(

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 04:48 AM
    After installing official 10.2.1.3062 today, the reported flaws continue in Q10 devices. :-(
    There is several issues quoted in this thread. What is specifically yours ?
    One more thing, after an update/reload/wipe, give your phone some times to settle with all the sync accounts. Time depends on your accounts, can be from 2 days to 2 weeks.
    11-07-14 07:32 AM
54 123