I do have something. I dont want to get anyones hopes up, or develelop for just 1 outlet (BB10).

Not easy no.

Posted via CB10
    I've read enough posts about that can't be done, this can't be done. The point is everything can be done with enough effort. And If there are enough people to support the system I beleave that BB10 can live and also I know the most of us wouldn't happily switch to Droid or IOS.

So I've would like to gether people with this thread who can think out solutions or possibilites of such. What do you think can keep OS functional after EOL? And have in mind we don't all have programming skills

Posted via CB10
    crberryy likes this.
    08-10-18 02:52 PM
    I've read enough posts about that can't be done, this can't be done. The point is everything can be done with enough effort.
    The only people you have to convince is the BB board of directors. They're the ones who have made the decision to pull the plug.

Put together a presentation of how you can not only pay for the necessary development of BB10 to keep it relevant, but additionally generate a profit. Call up BB and make an appointment with the board and give them your presentation.

But it's pointless to "ask the community" because, unlike the other platforms you have some experience with, BB's platforms were specifically designed from the beginning so that ONLY BB has control and authorization to do many of the things that would be necessary - so if you don't have BB on board, nothing else really matters.
    ppeters914 and glwerry like this.
    08-10-18 03:04 PM
    I've read enough posts about that can't be done, this can't be done. The point is everything can be done with enough effort. And If there are enough people to support the system I beleave that BB10 can live and also I know the most of us wouldn't happily switch to Droid or IOS.

So I've would like to gether people with this thread who can think out solutions or possibilites of such. What do you think can keep OS functional after EOL? And have in mind we don't all have programming skills

Posted via CB10
    Sure.

You know... I planned to say something... but, I'm done.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-10-18 03:09 PM
    The only people you have to convince is the BB board of directors. They're the ones who have made the decision to pull the plug.

Put together a presentation of how you can not only pay for the necessary development of BB10 to keep it relevant, but additionally generate a profit. Call up BB and make an appointment with the board and give them your presentation.

But it's pointless to "ask the community" because, unlike the other platforms you have some experience with, BB's platforms were specifically designed from the beginning so that ONLY BB has control and authorization to do many of the things that would be necessary - so if you don't have BB on board, nothing else really matters.
    That would be actualy very wrong first step in course of action. The BB boad in any case would never support survival of BB10. But community could.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-18 03:26 PM
    That would be actualy very wrong first step in course of action. The BB boad in any case would never support survival of BB10. But community could.

Posted via CB10
    But without the board support for BB10, nothing can be done. The BB10 OS is closed ecosystem like IOS, remember?
    08-10-18 03:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    No. The "community" could not. BB10 is closed sourced. Unless BlackBerry publicly releases the signing keys (ain't happening), there's nothing that can be done by any community. Especially one with only a few dozen people that would even be interested in the idea.

Oh... that's right... I said I was done.

I keep getting drawn back in.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-10-18 03:37 PM
    But without the board support for BB10, nothing can be done. The BB10 OS is closed ecosystem like IOS, remember?
    All I said that it would be wrong first step. First you show that you are here to stay and then you go in front of the board.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-18 03:37 PM
    No. The "community" could not. BB10 is closed sourced. Unless BlackBerry publicly releases the signing keys (ain't happening), there's nothing that can be done by any community. Especially one with only a few dozen people that would even be interested in the idea.

Oh... that's right... I said I was done.

I keep getting drawn back in.
    Few dosen can be more than enough to start the action.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-18 03:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well it depends on what still works and what we have permission to change internally. I can't really answer this in detail right now, but it's apparent that there are people who would still like to use BB10. Myself included.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 08-10-18 at 06:17 PM.
    08-10-18 03:44 PM
    Few dosen can be more than enough to start the action.

Posted via CB10
    You’re in charge. When you have 47 more people with you on your BB10 project, let us know how well it’s going. Many on here promise to back with their money. I don’t believe. I remember how many people didn’t support the Zinq BB10 launcher for Android when it was begged for by the faithful BB10 masses that had moved to Android..
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-10-18 03:59 PM
    Another pie-in-the-sky-dreaming-ignoring-reality-i-love-BB10 thread. At least OP figures it will take more than 2 guys in a garage.

Best of luck. Keep us informed.

AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-10-18 04:38 PM
    Another pie-in-the-sky-dreaming-ignoring-reality-i-love-BB10 thread. At least OP figures it will take more than 2 guys in a garage.

Best of luck. Keep us informed.

AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    Not two guys, im still waiting for others to follow up the thread

Posted via CB10
    08-10-18 04:40 PM
    That stock from three or four (or five) years ago is still sufficient to meet demand is indicative of why there aren't enough users to prevent BlackBerry from pulling the plug and washing their hands of the BB10 experiment.
    Exactly. You can still buy new-in-box analog cell phones from Sony, Uniden, Ericsson, etc. - that doesn't mean that you can do anything with them though because analog cell service was turned off 15 years ago.

BB sold their last BB10 phones in 2016 - and they were old stock at the time. They could end support today and have no legal responsibility. The fact that a few retailers have old stock means absolutely nothing - and any liability is on the retailer, not on BB, as BB has made official EOL announcements.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-11-18 02:00 PM
    Exactly. You can still buy new-in-box analog cell phones from Sony, Uniden, Ericsson, etc. - that doesn't mean that you can do anything with them though because analog cell service was turned off 15 years ago.

BB sold their last BB10 phones in 2016 - and they were old stock at the time. They could end support today and have no legal responsibility. The fact that a few retailers have old stock means absolutely nothing - and any liability is on the retailer, not on BB, as BB has made official EOL announcements.
    One of the only smartphone brands I've heard of that people stockpile quantities of for themselves.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-18 06:09 PM
    One of the only smartphone brands I've heard of that people stockpile quantities of for themselves.
    There's only a handful of people who have done that, and there are always a handful of people who do that with failed platforms. You can find them on Windows Central and you had them on WebOS Central years back. They are just extreme outliers, though.

The closest thing that exists to a SOMEWHAT supported third-party smartphone OS is Sailfish - there's a small team with community support working on it - but that project has been SLOWWWWW moving and plans for it have been scaled back.

The only somewhat modern phone that can run it is a 2-year-old Sony, and only the euro model - and you have to buy the phone and then pay for the OS to flash onto it.

Still, because they had access to the source code, AND have had some limited support to do this from Sony, they can actually do it at all. Because of the hardware "root of trust" on BB devices, and because BB10 is closed source, you can't get anywhere or do much of anything without significant involvement from BB - and that's not going to happen.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-11-18 06:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    Go to Windows Central, you will see people saying they are stockpiling Windows 10 phones. Back in the day people using WebOS and Symbian probably stocked up on phones. The days of larger active communities have past so no one talks much about those old phones. Let's see how many are still looking for BB10 phones in 2023 and 2024.
    08-11-18 07:00 PM
    Go to Windows Central, you will see people saying they are stockpiling Windows 10 phones. Back in the day people using WebOS and Symbian probably stocked up on phones. The days of larger active communities have past so no one talks much about those old phones. Let's see how many are still looking for BB10 phones in 2023 and 2024.
    That doesn't surprise me. They have some really durable products made with with high quality materials.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-18 08:24 PM
    There's only a handful of people who have done that, and there are always a handful of people who do that with failed platforms. You can find them on Windows Central and you had them on WebOS Central years back. They are just extreme outliers, though.

The closest thing that exists to a SOMEWHAT supported third-party smartphone OS is Sailfish - there's a small team with community support working on it - but that project has been SLOWWWWW moving and plans for it have been scaled back.

The only somewhat modern phone that can run it is a 2-year-old Sony, and only the euro model - and you have to buy the phone and then pay for the OS to flash onto it.

Still, because they had access to the source code, AND have had some limited support to do this from Sony, they can actually do it at all. Because of the hardware "root of trust" on BB devices, and because BB10 is closed source, you can't get anywhere or do much of anything without significant involvement from BB - and that's not going to happen.
    Do you think think the certificates can not be extracted or a backup decrypted?

It doesnt matter anyway. Any features that someone wants can be mimicked or tastefully redone.

I am really more Interested in how powerful the Webinspector and tools are on the phone when connected to another, and the control with the HDMI and aux. I wouldn't think that any assets BlackBerry wanted to remain solely theirs had anything to do with that. A rugged Z10 would have rocked.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 08-11-18 at 08:43 PM.
    08-11-18 08:29 PM
    Now, please nay-sayers step back a little. For all the others that share OPTIMISM and KNOWLEDGE to pull this trough please send me a private message.
    08-13-18 07:23 AM
    Now, please nay-sayers step back a little. For all the others that share OPTIMISM and KNOWLEDGE to pull this trough please send me a private message.
    That’s problem. There’s no real optimism because we have the knowledge of why this won’t be done. We’re all BB fans that have learned to adjust our expectations for BB10 since inception.
    glwerry and pdr733 like this.
    08-13-18 07:39 AM
    It's not nay-saying, it's realistic expectations.
    08-13-18 10:01 AM
    Is this why BlackBerry Travel appears to have suddenly stopped working? I booked a trip 10 days ago and it picked everything up, sent me the "successful" email, etc. Now I'm leaving tomorrow and there have been no advance notices for the trip, I check and see it isn't saved as a trip anymore!

Very disappointing, this was a 10 star app and they should move it to their android app collection. I've got a Dtek 60 to switch to (from a Z30), what is the best equivalent android travel app to BlackBerry Travel?

Posted via CB10
    08-13-18 10:14 AM
    It's not nay-saying, it's realistic expectations.
    If it ever were to realistic expectations, the earth would be still flat, we would be still living in caves and would have the fire to warm us in the best case scenario. Sorry my friend everything ever made was done with unrealistic expectation. Question is just do we want to do it.

Posted via CB10
    crberryy and Charles Broam like this.
    08-13-18 10:16 AM
    Question is just do we want to do it.
    The other question is how much money are you willing to spend to get it done. If you’re not going to pony up a few hundred million dollars, you’re unlikely to get very far.
    08-13-18 10:27 AM
    If it ever were to realistic expectations, the earth would be still flat, we would be still living in caves and would have the fire to warm us in the best case scenario. Sorry my friend everything ever made was done with unrealistic expectation. Question is just do we want to do it.

Posted via CB10
    Give it a try. Unfortunately, guys like Chuck Finley and myself are in the camp who would be unlikely to be going back to BB10.
    I have critical apps that I need for work that require GPS (Google Play Services) - it's VERY unlikely that even if you can get BB10 extended that GPS will be part of that, meaning guys like myself won't be back.

Even if I retire and don't need these critical apps anymore, my banking won't work on BB10, and I'm not going to living without that.

Remember that BB10 is a CLOSED environment and in order to do anything you need to get access to that - meaning that you're going to have to go to BB's board with a solid business case. I'm not optimistic about your chances there.

Then, even if you can get the board onside, what about hardware? Are you seriously going to continue to expect to run in 2020 and onwards with hardware from 2014?
    08-13-18 10:34 AM
154 12345 ...